Possible return of Bishop Flaget HS? Future of ISJ?

formerfcfan
SEOP

Possible return of Bishop Flaget HS? Future of ISJ?

Post by formerfcfan »

The Diocese of Columbus is currently undergoing a reconfiguration plan of operations, primarily on the parish level, known as Real Presence, Real Future. There’s a slideshow publicly viewable (if you have ~25 minutes to parse it out) here: https://realpresencerealfuture.org/wp-c ... ations.pdf

Within the slideshow, the most recent of which was released this week and is considered the “final draft”, there is a very interesting note pertaining to Ross and Pike Counties.
Investigate re-starting a small program model high school in the area to expand Catholic education.
Last edited by formerfcfan on Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bozo
S

Re: Possible return of Bishop Flaget HS?

Post by Bozo »

Rumors are heavy in Ross County about this situation.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

As someone who is not old enough to have recalled Flaget, I find the opportunity that it could be relaunched as powerful and inspiring.

I don’t know entirely all the ins-and-outs of what it takes for Flaget HS to be rebooted. I presume that its infancy will essentially be a continuous streamline of 8th graders graduating out of Flaget School, so it will have a couple years of (comparatively) low overhead. Presumably after a few years there will need to be a plan in place to materialize possible expansion/growth. For sports purposes I imagine it would take them about ~5 years to get acclimated and become a candidate for OHSAA membership. I would greatly enjoy the opportunity to play Flaget in a sport.

The Diocese has also given a wink-and-nod that they’re intending on creating a high school in Delaware County in the near future. That seems like a positive cue for what could come about with the Flaget development. I’m inclined to think the Diocese senses that the winds of change are blowing in their favor, and thus they feel they can make both projects happen.

bsee12345
Varsity

Post by bsee12345 »

Bishop Flaget Panthers did not have football so if this does develop it will be interesting to see if football is part of the schools plan.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

what school they part of?

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

mattash wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:24 am what school they part of?
Flaget [fleh-ZHAY] HS closed in the late 1980’s. I believe it was 1986.

Catholic school in Chillicothe.

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

I believe there is a Chillicothe Christian Academy right now I could be wrong however, I think they operate the same at Pike Christian Academy

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

Historically Flaget had some really good basketball and baseball teams in the 70's and early 70's before being shut down.
They made it to the state finals in baseball I believe.

MadeInRossCounty
Varsity

Post by MadeInRossCounty »

Bishop Flaget was in the SVC correct?
This is awesome news, hope they rejoin.

bsee12345
Varsity

Post by bsee12345 »

Big Green and Gold of Bishop Flaget. School on the Hill. I also always hated going to Bishop for basketball games with seating on just one side of the gym.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Re: Possible return of Bishop Flaget HS? Future of ISJ?

Post by formerfcfan »

Another interesting question that has come into the fold pertains to St. Joe in Ironton. The Diocese of Steubenville is on track to be merged into the Diocese of Columbus, pending approvals. It’ll be interesting to see what this spells for ISJ.

TheFlyingDutchman
JV Team

Post by TheFlyingDutchman »

Little worried about that myself

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

TheFlyingDutchman wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:11 pm Little worried about that myself
I’d hate to see ISJ go away. Great people; great tradition; great pride.

IMO, ISJ’s path forward and future in the Diocese of Columbus is one of two opportunities:

1) become an autonomous, low-budget HS that is self-sufficient and independent… where the relationship with Columbus is only as a school where the school where the kids’ parishes respond to Columbus. No such system of operations like that currently exists in the Diocese of Columbus, but up in the Diocese of Toledo I believe this is the case with the high schools in Fremont (Bishop Hoffman/St. Joseph Central Catholic) and Tiffin (Calvert Catholic Schools.)

2) whatever the model is for Chillicothe Flaget would be (it supposedly is going to operate differently than say a Zanesville Rosecrans), ISJ could just replicate the model. I suspect the plan for Flaget is hedged on EdChoice.

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

formerfcfan wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:25 pm
TheFlyingDutchman wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:11 pm Little worried about that myself

IMO, ISJ’s path forward and future in the Diocese of Columbus is one of two opportunities:

1) become an autonomous, low-budget HS that is self-sufficient and independent… where the relationship with Columbus is only as a school where the school where the kids’ parishes respond to Columbus. No such system of operations like that currently exists in the Diocese of Columbus, but up in the Diocese of Toledo I believe this is the case with the high schools in Fremont (Bishop Hoffman/St. Joseph Central Catholic) and Tiffin (Calvert Catholic Schools.)

2) whatever the model is for Chillicothe Flaget would be (it supposedly is going to operate differently than say a Zanesville Rosecrans), ISJ could just replicate the model. I suspect the plan for Flaget is hedged on EdChoice.
I believe Portsmouth Notre Dame is in the Columbus Diocese, I believe they have seen an increase in attendance in the last 10-15 years also.

Koondogger 2.1
Freshman Team

Post by Koondogger 2.1 »

bsee12345 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:48 am Bishop Flaget Panthers did not have football so if this does develop it will be interesting to see if football is part of the schools plan.
Kinda hope they can get on the foeld. Its disappointing that Ironton St Jude doesnt field a team anymore.

Greenwave38
Waterboy

Post by Greenwave38 »

portsmouth_98 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:37 pm
formerfcfan wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:25 pm

I believe Portsmouth Notre Dame is in the Columbus Diocese, I believe they have seen an increase in attendance in the last 10-15 years also.
Yes notre dame is in the Columbus diocese so is tuscarawas central catholic in new Philly

RiverRatRay
SEOPS HOF

Post by RiverRatRay »

The merging of the Diocese of Steubenville and the Diocese of Columbus was put on hold due to the results of a survey taken by the Diocese of Steubenville. Over 60 % of the people taking the survey were against the merger. The future of the schools were one of the issues.

Return to “Football”