Re: South Point @ Ironton

Post by art_vandelay »

Lol...for real?*

MrPerfect
Freshman Team

Post by MrPerfect »

I’m taking South Point in a barn burner LoL
Kidding, This one is over before it begins.
Ironton doesn’t belong in the OVC.

WWE HALL OF FAME
THEEE_GAME
Varsity

Post by THEEE_GAME »

Pain. Clubber Lang.

Interested to see if Ironton comes out with an edge. See if they use the time against lesser comp to work on really establishing an offensive foundation and cleaning up some mistakes in general. I'd like to see them maintain some high energy in these next few games. Also interested to see how they experiment over the nexr few. I look for Ironton to be able to mix things up and get a lot of personnel some usage. Keep running the ball. Don't experiment so much you start going away from it cause you are going to need it again.

Ty Perkins is about to put up some #'s kids.

That's all.

RR 78
Waterboy

Post by RR 78 »

South Point beating Ironton would be like Marshall beating Notre Dame. It's time for schools in the OVC to step up. Fairland is doing it, they will play anybody anytime anyplace. Coal Grove is doing it, go Grove. The rest need to get in on the action, develop a program. Yes Ironton get's transfer's. So does other schools in the OVC whether it's football, basketball, baseball, soccer or track. The OVC can become a powerhouse in all sports. We just have to take that first step. South Point has nothing to loose and all to gain Friday night. Ironton will be nursing injuries from a brutal first 4 games just like Notre Dame was after playing Ohio State.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

MrPerfect wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:14 pm I’m taking South Point in a barn burner LoL
Kidding, This one is over before it begins.
Ironton doesn’t belong in the OVC.
You mean football only? They don’t dominate in other sports. Not even close.

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

Find someone that loves you the way Woby hates Ironton.

I’ll go Tigers by a bunch, but SP will score a some on the reserves. 61-13 final.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Not meant to belittle any team in this matchup at all, but probably the best thing that can happen in this game is to hope that neither team sustains any type of serious injuries.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

So it's back to OVC play for Ironton, since they've already got past Fairland guessing Ironton doesn't see another team capable of knocking them off for what about another 7-8 weeks?? As always I'm just hoping everyone stays healthy in games like this.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

TigerBob wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:44 pm Find someone that loves you the way Woby hates Ironton.

I’ll go Tigers by a bunch, but SP will score a some on the reserves. 61-13 final.
The belittling of the ovc conference by some Ironton fans is a joke. All because they dominate football, with plenty transfers mind you. I mean the thread was started as thoughts on the match up and was immediately ridiculed.

Burg pretty much has owned the SOC, and you never hear them saying anything about not belonging

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

RR 78 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:01 pm South Point beating Ironton would be like Marshall beating Notre Dame. It's time for schools in the OVC to step up. Fairland is doing it, they will play anybody anytime anyplace. Coal Grove is doing it, go Grove. The rest need to get in on the action, develop a program. Yes Ironton get's transfer's. So does other schools in the OVC whether it's football, basketball, baseball, soccer or track. The OVC can become a powerhouse in all sports. We just have to take that first step. South Point has nothing to loose and all to gain Friday night. Ironton will be nursing injuries from a brutal first 4 games just like Notre Dame was after playing Ohio State.
Great post

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

wobycat wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:39 pm
TigerBob wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:44 pm Find someone that loves you the way Woby hates Ironton.

The belittling of the ovc conference by some Ironton fans is a joke. All because they dominate football, with plenty transfers mind you. I mean the thread was started as thoughts on the match up and was immediately ridiculed.

Burg pretty much has owned the SOC, and you never hear them saying anything about not belonging
My man, I know Wheelersburg has a great school. Use those reading comprehension skills to look at this thread.

Mr. Perfect (maybe an Ironton fan, maybe not, posts a lot about high school football in general, Ironton doesn't get special mention) makes an off the hand comment that Ironton doesn't belong in the OVC. Maybe he means from an Ironton perspective, maybe a South Point perspective, a fan of high school football perspective, I'm not sure.

You chime in with your negativity that Ironton doesn't dominate the OVC in other sports, which is true and why I feel Ironton leaving the OVC would be a mistake.

I point out your insane anti-Ironton ramblings, comment on the game.

You come back with more Ironton hate, how arrogant some Ironton fans are about leaving the OVC, complain about no serious game analysis, throw in some transfer talk as per usual, and then tell us how Wheelersburg dominates the SOC but doesn't talk about leaving. What this has to do with South Point @ Ironton, I'm not sure. It's only being talked about on this thread by you.

You seem like a good guy who is absolutely blinded by hatred towards all things Ironton. Which is cool and all for the rivalry, but you lose the ability to think rationally when the word Ironton is mentioned.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

TigerBob wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:01 pm

My man, I know Wheelersburg has a great school. Use those reading comprehension skills to look at this thread.

Mr. Perfect (maybe an Ironton fan, maybe not, posts a lot about high school football in general, Ironton doesn't get special mention) makes an off the hand comment that Ironton doesn't belong in the OVC. Maybe he means from an Ironton perspective, maybe a South Point perspective, a fan of high school football perspective, I'm not sure.

You chime in with your negativity that Ironton doesn't dominate the OVC in other sports, which is true and why I feel Ironton leaving the OVC would be a mistake.

You come back with more Ironton hate, how arrogant some Ironton fans are about leaving the OVC, complain about no serious game analysis, throw in some transfer talk as per usual, and then tell us how Wheelersburg dominates the SOC but doesn't talk about leaving. What this has to do with South Point @ Ironton, I'm not sure. It's only being talked about on this thread by you.

You seem like a good guy who is absolutely blinded by hatred towards all things Ironton. Which is cool and all for the rivalry, but you lose the ability to think rationally when the word Ironton is mentioned.
I don’t hate Ironton whatsoever but I’ve been very vocal and transparent when it came to the transfers and the idea they don’t belong in the ovc, to me it’s a slap in the face to the other schools.

I used to be very argumentative about it and finally took a break from the site. I actually got over the transfer thing but I got triggered from “they don’t belong comment.” It is why I quoted his post. Which had nothing to do with the game like you said

Honestly I don’t know how you took it as a hateful post. It was a truthful observation. I only included the point about burg because it was in context to the comment. Burg doesn’t dominate the other sports in their league either.

As far as this game, Ironton definitely has the advantage although I feel south point is heading in the right direction

Rams
Waterboy

Post by Rams »

I think Ironton in the OVC in football is an absolute waste of time. You play 4 tough games then sleep walk through the rest of the schedule and 1st two weeks of the playoffs and then have to try and ramp the intensity back up for serious competition after that. Has to be tough to do. How about starting the OKAC back up with Ironton, Ashland, Raceland, draw Wheelersburg out of the Soc maybe Russell and Fairland and a few other teams. Every school gets rich off of the gates for all those games.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Rams wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:06 pm I think Ironton in the OVC in football is an absolute waste of time. You play 4 tough games then sleep walk through the rest of the schedule and 1st two weeks of the playoffs and then have to try and ramp the intensity back up for serious competition after that. Has to be tough to do. How about starting the OKAC back up with Ironton, Ashland, Raceland, draw Wheelersburg out of the Soc maybe Russell and Fairland and a few other teams. Every school gets rich off of the gates for all those games.
They tried to tier the ovc which would have been a great move. Couldn’t get anyone to come.

Ironton
Portsmouth
Gallia
Fairland
Just needed another school. Actually adding Jackson would make the most sense.

frankie
Varsity

Post by frankie »

TigerBob wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:01 pm

Tigerbob you nailed it, great reply.

Bfan99
Freshman Team

Post by Bfan99 »

We make fun of Ironton starting OVC play and say it’s a 6 week bye week but honestly looking at that OVC in football it’s arguably a better conference than the SOC this year

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

I’d say if you compare top 4 vs. top 4, you’re probably right.

fielddaddy
JV Team

Post by fielddaddy »

Wobycat you talk about Ironton and their transfers more than you do about Burg.
As far as Ironton and the OVC the OVC let Ironton in when they was down and looked to be a shell of themselves.
Ironton don’t want to leave the OVC
The OVC wants Ironton to be put out.
Yes transfers help make Ironton better and stronger but I believe the young coach is a game changer to.
I wish the OVC was stronger and certain teams are but it’s hard to get your team up when they know a pounding is coming.
As for Burg if Ironton turns the corner and beats Burg 6-7 straight times will Burg want Ironton to stay on the schedule that is the question

THEEE_GAME
Varsity

Post by THEEE_GAME »

fielddaddy wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:51 am

Wobycat you talk about Ironton and their transfers more than you do about Burg.
As far as Ironton and the OVC the OVC let Ironton in when they was down and looked to be a shell of themselves.
Ironton don’t want to leave the OVC
The OVC wants Ironton to be put out.
Yes transfers help make Ironton better and stronger but I believe the young coach is a game changer to.
I wish the OVC was stronger and certain teams are but it’s hard to get your team up when they know a pounding is coming.
As for Burg if Ironton turns the corner and beats Burg 6-7 straight times will Burg want Ironton to stay on the schedule that is the question
First & foremost. If I am on this forum, it's about football. Whether directly or indirectly or pertaining to some aspect therein. So when I say the conf schedule hurts more than helps and state why, I mean just that. Brass tax. It hurts Ironton. The meat of the sched is ooc play. After those 1st four, you take a considerable step down in quality of comp. That is not "belittling" that is just like saying Vandy isn't the same level of comp as Georgia. It's general football related context used at ANY level of sports journalism or laymen convo. So let's get that right out the way.

There are some pros & cons just like anything else. Lack of reps for the 1's. Maybe you lose some significant opportunity to continue gelling as a unit simply cause you are gettin pulled sooner in unbalanced games? It's only week 4. Maybe you get caught experimenting too much and lose consistency with your core identity/foundation? Some good things also. Chance to mix up & use more personnel. Get some core guys healthy. Chance to experiment within reason while also staying true to still trying to run the ball & set up ya big punches kinda like a good boxer uses his feet & his jab. Chance to get some of the younger Tigers some live reps.

But all in all it's an obstacle. Irontons biggest comp the next few weeks is Ironton. Full stop. It's gonna be all about how they execute and how they commit to continuing to improve on what they have established. When you suggest the conf sched does them no favors, it just is what it is. Idk anything about leaving or who wants who in or out, I only know the conf sched can impact Irontons development negatively. Can. Not will. 👈 THIS IS IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER: It's also on Ironton to do due diligence despite this, per above. 👈 [ to make up for quality of comp]

Transfers: dead horse. If you don't have any that means nobody really views playing there as an opportunity. If you have them you still have to use them correctly and collectively. Programs ebb & flow in seo. The population steadily decreases which means so do opportunities. ( in any aspect of life) When an opportunity is perceived, and opportunity will be pursued. This is quite lliterally what we do our entire lives. We pursue goals via opportunity and we max said opp to move onto another higher goal. The entire sentiment of transfers being used in a context designed to lessen a programs legitimacy is equivalent to being angry your friend or neighbor accepted a better job in a city across the country and have to move. It's hating on people & things growing and developing per the path they chose for themselves.

In 2022, the same sentiment or loyalty you may have had to your hometown/school isn't the same. For you, it may have been the greatest place ever. For the vast majority of 16,17,18 year olds in 2022, in seo, it is a door they want to unlock and a cage they want to fly out of. Your nostalgia isn't theirs. Never will be. The emotional sentiment is diluted. It's not an anomaly anywhere in the country at any level, and being unable to evolve as the culture of the game changes doesn't make a program noble. It eventually makes them dinosaurs.

I see a program in Ironton with ambition. Ambition to grow as a program and ambition to enrich the region with opportunity related to the game. I also see a program with a ton of resource albeit if it is just the endless external access and connection. And lastly I see a program being invested in by their community 10 fold. There's no mysticism involved. You think every high school player in tri state wouldnt want to be a part of this past weekend? You think Carrico to Ohio State, Washington to Kentucky, Duncan to Miami O, Carter & Perkins to Nati, Keys to Wisky, doesn't make a kid or a parent consider? Nike elite tags. Camps. Recruiting visits. Access to players and coaches and trainers from the level they are aspiring? Add that ambition to a region that in many cases begrudges ambition, and the side comments and remarks meant to question legitimacy by some imaginary, "my home, my school," sentiment, that doesn't even really exist anymore, is what ya gonna get.

End of the day it's an excuse. Johnny didn't grow up as developed as his classmate so his classmate is a bad guy for outgrowing him.

Now that all that is finished: If Ironton & Burg played right now in week 5, again, don't fool yourself. Ironton would beat them again and likely worse. You notice every week everybody talks about how burg gets better as if they are the only ones. Ironton also gets better. The playoff game last year is over. Every ranking from every source has Ironton & burg distinctly seperated and Ironton has a higher celing. Don't look now, but there goes that pesky ambition thing again. Ok, burg won the playoff game. Good. That's proof all those transfers do not give any unfair advantage. Now do it again.

Return to “Football”