Portsmouth West 49 - 42 Waverly 2022

Omega
SEOPS H

Portsmouth West 49 - 42 Waverly 2022

Post by Omega »

Southern Ohio Conference 2 opener for both schools.

Waverly is reeling from three straight losses, although against teams with a combined 12-3 record.

West is improving each game since their week one loss to Fairland. Typical hard nose physical running game and defense for the Siders Senators.

The Tigers unfortunately look like they will be in for another night of character building. Still the Tigers will give it their all against their long time rival.
Last edited by Omega on Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
SiderBlood
All Conference

Re: WK 6 : Waverly (2-3) @ Portsmouth West (4-1)

Post by SiderBlood »

Can't believe we are already into week 6. West is improving every week. Extremely balanced. If you stack the box, Irwin to Bishop will torch ya. If we spread it out, Sissel on the zone is a horse. Been a very long time since I've seen a hard hitting, old school, West Side defense. But these kids fit the bill. They shut down some real athletes this evening.

I dont dont think for one minute that Waverly will be an easy out. All the respect in the world to them and still wish we had Hurd in our backfield. He's a stud. If they are one dimensional, we are very hard to run on though.

A little history on the series.
West has the slight advantage all time with a 34-33-2 all time record against the tigers. The average score is 19-18 in favor of the Siders. That's about as close as you can get folks. Hope for a good conference game and the stands to be packed.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

The Tigers are reeling right now after 3 straight losses. They need a big boost of confidence going forward. Playing a pretty good West team at West may prove to be a very difficult endeavor.

LetsBeReal
JV Team

Post by LetsBeReal »

Could be a really fun game.

Hopefully Waverly hasn’t packed it in just yet. Unioto game could of went a lot different but the last 2 scores told a different story then the first 3 1/2 quarters.

Chillicothe game was brutal and this week was soul crushing. Let’s see how this young team responds.Waverly has the ability to win but it’s wests game to lose.

I expected West to be 5-0 at this point. I wouldn’t be surprised to see an absolute beat down by west either.

West is looking for payback for the last few years. I don’t see them letting this opportunity slip away.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

Well, for Waverly yet another tough team we get to take on. We’re in the middle of a brutal run of teams right now and hopefully the old saying what doesn’t break you will make you stronger. Our QB is getting better as the season goes on, just like to see him throw the deep ball just a bit sooner and trust them to outrun guys. On defense can we please put Legend and Wyatt at DE I’m tired of watching everyone get to the outside. We have no containment, 17 can’t get off a block and doesn’t have enough butt to set an edge. Wyatt and Legend to DE, let Q and Logan play LBs those are 2 of your bigger hitters on the team and have the speed to get sideline to sideline especially Logan who’s a heat seeking missile just to much a liability at safety. This defense would have the possibility to be so much better going into league play.
Offensively we can run the ball but why on earth do we keep running between the guards every run?? Guard pulls their LB fills behind him and makes the play. Hudson is doing an excellent job at WR and making plays they’ve got to get a WR opposite to take the top off the defense.

West is an excellent team and looking at stats seem to be very balanced. It will be another tough game for Waverly as we’ll need to contain Sissell to have any shot in this one. Hopefully being a bit more familiar with a team like this will help us. If no adjustments are made within the front 7 on defense could be another long night.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Hard game to call. Waverly has lost 3 but can move the ball. They moved it well last night vs a really good team. West is rolling. This game is close but taking west by 7

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:31 am Well, for Waverly yet another tough team we get to take on. We’re in the middle of a brutal run of teams right now and hopefully the old saying what doesn’t break you will make you stronger. Our QB is getting better as the season goes on, just like to see him throw the deep ball just a bit sooner and trust them to outrun guys. On defense can we please put Legend and Wyatt at DE I’m tired of watching everyone get to the outside. We have no containment, 17 can’t get off a block and doesn’t have enough butt to set an edge. Wyatt and Legend to DE, let Q and Logan play LBs those are 2 of your bigger hitters on the team and have the speed to get sideline to sideline especially Logan who’s a heat seeking missile just to much a liability at safety. This defense would have the possibility to be so much better going into league play.
Offensively we can run the ball but why on earth do we keep running between the guards every run?? Guard pulls their LB fills behind him and makes the play. Hudson is doing an excellent job at WR and making plays they’ve got to get a WR opposite to take the top off the defense.

West is an excellent team and looking at stats seem to be very balanced. It will be another tough game for Waverly as we’ll need to contain Sissell to have any shot in this one. Hopefully being a bit more familiar with a team like this will help us. If no adjustments are made within the front 7 on defense could be another long night.
Agree with LB & DE spots.
Wyatt has to be at DE (best DE in this area) and Q Hurd is an absolute MUST in the middle.

Nicknevada86
Varsity

Post by Nicknevada86 »

West 35-19

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

smurray wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:37 am
Tigernation2021 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:31 am Well, for Waverly yet another tough team we get to take on. We’re in the middle of a brutal run of teams right now and hopefully the old saying what doesn’t break you will make you stronger. Our QB is getting better as the season goes on, just like to see him throw the deep ball just a bit sooner and trust them to outrun guys. On defense can we please put Legend and Wyatt at DE I’m tired of watching everyone get to the outside. We have no containment, 17 can’t get off a block and doesn’t have enough butt to set an edge. Wyatt and Legend to DE, let Q and Logan play LBs those are 2 of your bigger hitters on the team and have the speed to get sideline to sideline especially Logan who’s a heat seeking missile just to much a liability at safety. This defense would have the possibility to be so much better going into league play.

Wyatt has to be at DE (best DE in this area) and Q Hurd is an absolute MUST in the middle.
I honestly think if the coaches would make these moves and let Peyton Harris play safety the defense especially up front would turn things around immediately. Q and Logan at LB with Wyatt and Legend at DEs man talk about fixing a defense. It’s either that or Logan goes to DE with Legend, I think he can handle it and a ton of speed for containment. This would allow us to start getting pressure on the QB as well something we haven’t done

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:19 pm
smurray wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:37 am

I honestly think if the coaches would make these moves and let Peyton Harris play safety the defense especially up front would turn things around immediately. Q and Logan at LB with Wyatt and Legend at DEs man talk about fixing a defense. It’s either that or Logan goes to DE with Legend, I think he can handle it and a ton of speed for containment. This would allow us to start getting pressure on the QB as well something we haven’t done
Agree, DE was a strong suit last year with Wyatt and Will. Wyatt and Legend would make a great tandem. Tigers have guys to play LB and Q HURD is a MUST to be on the field.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Think West wins this one by multiple TD’s

Who Dey!
Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

West seems to be improving

Every opponent has been stacking the box to stop the run game. KIPP had 8 in the box and West was still running at will. Receivers are wide open and with the skill they have that’s a problem.

Defense has been tough. Run defense has been phenomenal and they are doing so mostly out of a 3 man front.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

West should be able to take this one by 3 scores based on talent alone but at the moment there’s nothing special I see about their schedule. Seems like this year and next year should’ve been when they were scheduling up to better prepare.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Waverly veteran lineman went out early with an apparent back injury Friday night. Could be a long night for the Tigers if he’s not available. West has been very good defending the run and that’s what Waverly MUST be able to do on offense.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Going with west

allaboutsports
Riding the Bench

Post by allaboutsports »

I would like to see him throw it out there little farther too, however Kelley is only one who goes up and gets the ball and his line with 2 hurt is struggling. Qb was solid this week and getting better and better, need to keep developing him because may struggle in run game next year.
#17 does not do anything positive. I would like to see a 5-2 with logan and Q at linebacker and Wyatt and Legend at d ends. #5 at safety and 2 and 6 at corners. As for containment I was told our coaches will not allow our d ends to move out at all. Legend has tried to move out to be on outside shoulder so he can contain and they keep telling him to move back in and he gets tied up. Was told Q was told his job was to take out the fullback last week was his only job at LB. I can not imagine them being told to do either.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

West by 14 or more. I knew waverly would be down after graduating a ton of great ball players but they have been worse than I expected. Hurd is a stud and if they can block for him it could be close. Sissel is just a monster and west is 1 point away from being 5-0.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
baller
Waterboy

Post by baller »

allaboutsports wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:17 am

I would like to see him throw it out there little farther too, however Kelley is only one who goes up and gets the ball and his line with 2 hurt is struggling. Qb was solid this week and getting better and better, need to keep developing him because may struggle in run game next year.
#17 does not do anything positive. I would like to see a 5-2 with logan and Q at linebacker and Wyatt and Legend at d ends. #5 at safety and 2 and 6 at corners. As for containment I was told our coaches will not allow our d ends to move out at all. Legend has tried to move out to be on outside shoulder so he can contain and they keep telling him to move back in and he gets tied up. Was told Q was told his job was to take out the fullback last week was his only job at LB. I can not imagine them being told to do either.
Kelley is actually spelled Kelly.

baller
Waterboy

Post by baller »

Boys are getting better each week just playing a unfavorable schedule and it does not get any easier.
Coaches are doing just fine, just have there hands full with all the young kids. We will be fine can not win them all every year.

Waverlyintheday
Waterboy

Post by Waverlyintheday »

allaboutsports wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:17 am

I agree with you but think Wyatt and Pollard are both great as well and will go get the ball. The other spot someone needs to step up, so far I would say Tanner or Jamison needs more of a shot or Carson or #3
D needs to go to 5-2 I agree with you there, unless its a throwing team which we really have not faced yet.

Return to “Football”