Portsmouth West 49 - 42 Waverly 2022

smurray
SEOPS HO

Re: WK 6 : Waverly (2-3) @ Portsmouth West (4-1)

Post by smurray »

Sissel up the middle radio saying he got a very favorable spot.
1:15 1st and 10.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

1:14 Timeout 2nd and 11 at Waverly 42

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Sissel off left side brings up 3rd and 6 Waverly 37 - timeout West

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Sissel to the 24 - first down - its over.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

FINAL 49-42

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Entertaining game. Not what I expected. Sissel is a beast. Yet credit Waverly. They could have packed it in but fought back.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
MasterOfNone
All Conference

Re: WK 6 :.Portsmouth West 49 Waverly 42 2022

Post by MasterOfNone »

Tigers gave West everything they wanted and some, they were one or two bounces away from coming away with the win. Sissel is a load and Irwin throws a nice ball, they have a good team this year. But idk how great you feel if you are West coming out of this one. Obviously a win is a win, and one step closer to an SOC title, but Waverly is having a down year according to most. Now I think Waverly is better than what people think and have had a rigorous schedule. We will see how both teams finish off the year.

Waverly’s offense has started to come together a little more and more each week and honestly if the defense could stop the pass (at least every once and awhile) they would have won this game. The secondary from safeties to corners are just not good and haven’t been all year. And you can credit that to inexperience or underclassman, but that still doesn’t change the fact that they are a liability across the board. But on the other side of that, you just hope these struggles pay off in the next couple years with some of these young guys.

MeanJoeGreene
Riding the Bench

Re: WK 6 Portsmouth West 49 Waverly 42 2022

Post by MeanJoeGreene »

Shocked West gave up 42 points

mustard
JV Team

Post by mustard »

Interesting

mattash
Site Admin

Re: Portsmouth West 49 - 42 Waverly 2022

Post by mattash »

Portsmouth West 49 - 42 Waverly

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

West came out hot and I honestly thought it was going to be a snoozer. All the props to Waverly in the world on not giving it up. They started grooving while exposing what we all knew was our flaw and it's coverage in the secondary. We also lost a very key player on the defensive side of the ball and it was noticed. They made some great plays when it was needed. They got alot of breaks. This is by far the most we have been penalized all year. I seen lots of people leaving in the 4th quarter. Every time you thought it was over, Waverly would come crawling back.

To me it showed two teams with completely opposite non conference schedules making a difference. Waverly is battle tested and it showed. We have had cupcakes and it showed. We are definitely the better team and win that game 90 percent of the time, but we have to be able to close games out better. 1-0 in the SOC and one step closer to bringing one back home. I'm not concerned in the slightest. This was a good learning experience and we will be just fine.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

SiderBlood wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:19 pm West came out hot and I honestly thought it was going to be a snoozer. All the props to Waverly in the world on not giving it up. They started grooving while exposing what we all knew was our flaw and it's coverage in the secondary. We also lost a very key player on the defensive side of the ball and it was noticed. They made some great plays when it was needed. They got alot of breaks. This is by far the most we have been penalized all year. I seen lots of people leaving in the 4th quarter. Every time you thought it was over, Waverly would come crawling back.

To me it showed two teams with completely opposite non conference schedules making a difference. Waverly is battle tested and it showed. We have had cupcakes and it showed. We are definitely the better team and win that game 90 percent of the time, but we have to be able to close games out better. 1-0 in the SOC and one step closer to bringing one back home. I'm not concerned in the slightest. This was a good learning experience and we will be just fine.
Waverly was already down 2 offensive linemen and lost a third (veteran senior starter) early in this one. Tigers continued to fight through it and made a game of what most thought was going to be a blowout.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

What a game what a game, hats off to west for holding on, how huge was West recovering the fumble in the end zone early in the game for a TD?? Waverly was down 21-0 in the first and 41-21 going into the 4th. There was nothing flukey about how Waverly kept crawling back into the game both the offense and defense made plays to get back into it each time. Saying West wins this 90% of the time is crazy to me, West was exposed by a bunch of sophomores who weren’t truly unleashed until the 2nd quarter. After watching West they’ve got some athletes and made plays when needed but their depth is a huge concern. As someone stated you could tell who’s been battle tested and who wasn’t for sure. Hats off to west no excuses no blame game, Waverly was a dog pile away from having a shot at the end on the onside kick. Good luck rest of the year

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

smurray wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:27 pm
SiderBlood wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:19 pm West came out hot and I honestly thought it was going to be a snoozer. All the props to Waverly in the world on not giving it up. They started grooving while exposing what we all knew was our flaw and it's coverage in the secondary. We also lost a very key player on the defensive side of the ball and it was noticed. They made some great plays when it was needed. They got alot of breaks. This is by far the most we have been penalized all year. I seen lots of people leaving in the 4th quarter. Every time you thought it was over, Waverly would come crawling back.

Waverly was already down 2 offensive linemen and lost a third (veteran senior starter) early in this one. Tigers continued to fight through it and made a game of what most thought was going to be a blowout.
They fought very hard, and following Waverly games, this isn't the first time that has happened. So thats a testament to the teams character.

We tend to get very conservative early on and that's still a gripe of mine. To be as balanced as we are offensively, I'd like to see ys get better separation. I can tell you the mood in the stands at 21-0 became way more relaxed. And you could see the guard being let down on the side line as well. That's a compliment to the Tigers for not laying down, and a learning moment for us. Giving up 42 is extremely disappointing and a good wake up call.

I got the vibe just like the game last year at Waverly. We were definitely the less talented team, but we hung right in there punch for punch until late in the 4th. Waverly did this tonight as well. Good luck to them the rest of the year

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

SiderBlood wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:54 pm

They fought very hard, and following Waverly games, this isn't the first time that has happened. So thats a testament to the teams character.

We tend to get very conservative early on and that's still a gripe of mine. To be as balanced as we are offensively, I'd like to see ys get better separation. I can tell you the mood in the stands at 21-0 became way more relaxed. And you could see the guard being let down on the side line as well. That's a compliment to the Tigers for not laying down, and a learning moment for us. Giving up 42 is extremely disappointing and a good wake up call.

I got the vibe just like the game last year at Waverly. We were definitely the less talented team, but we hung right in there punch for punch until late in the 4th. Waverly did this tonight as well. Good luck to them the rest of the year
I can understand that but to do that twice in the same game, it’s hats off to Waverly for the fight they showed. If we can slip into the playoffs we will be battle tested for sure. This should be a huge wake up for west it’s not enough to be the man on paper you’ve got to fight for it from start to finish.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Should be a lot to learn from this game.

I think West scored so easily at times that we never wore Waverly down and it actually hurt our own defense.

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

Big barometer for both teams, Tigers can get in rhythm next week, good luck to west the rest of the way

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:59 pm
SiderBlood wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:54 pm

I can understand that but to do that twice in the same game, it’s hats off to Waverly for the fight they showed. If we can slip into the playoffs we will be battle tested for sure. This should be a huge wake up for west it’s not enough to be the man on paper you’ve got to fight for it from start to finish.
I think we needed that Unioto win to make the playoffs, provided we beat Valley, Minford and Oak Hill.
I really don’t think we slip in at 5-5.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Hampshire wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:14 pm Shoutout to the Waverly Band. Always a crowd pleasing show.
Indeed.

Also a shoutout to West on their football plant. Excellent looking turf and setting. On the stream it appeared there was a great atmosphere tonight.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
baller
Waterboy

Post by baller »

Great game tonight forTigers we didn’t loose we just ran out of time.

Return to “Football”