Varsity

Coal Grove 42 - 43 Portsmouth 2022

Post by Nicknevada86 »

CGrove by 8

PTrojan59
S

Re: PHS at Coal Grove picks. Fireworks.

Post by PTrojan59 »

Trojans won’t be able to stop Hall. Meaning it will be a shootout…per usual in this series. Must win for the Trojans. Side note I’m excited CG got rid of those treacherous away bleachers. Lol

Who Dey!
Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Trojans run defense last night wasn’t bad and have played good teams well. Coal grove has hall and 2 other really good backs. Not sure why Pendleton is not running the ball more for Portsmouth he’s the better back and best player on offense and defense. It might be another 66-63 game like a few years ago. If Portsmouth loses this game I see 5-5 or 4-6. Going hornets in a close one. But absolutely do not squib kick it at any point Friday night. Just don’t do it.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
GoBigI
Freshman Team

Post by GoBigI »

Portsmouth 36
Hornets 28

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

The Trojans need very much to put the disappointment of what happened this past weekend against Gallia Academy in the rearview mirror. I know, easier said than done. The Hornets will be more than enough of a challenge to say the least. Should be a very good ballgame. Let's hope for an injury free game for both teams,

THEEE_GAME
Varsity

Post by THEEE_GAME »

At Coal Grove. Trojans will be challenged this week physically after a huge game and big effort the week prior. Gut check game for them. CG will come out early and try to bully up the field. Who wins the los, who has less penalties & turnovers? CG is impressive on the stat sheet, but untested in real life. I think this one will be closer than expected and the underdog gets a big road W. Trojans far more battle tested and it shows fri night.

Trojan Explosion.

captainmorgan_
JV Team

Post by captainmorgan_ »

grove by 1 score

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

If the Trojans can put last week's crushing defeat to Gallia Academy behind them, they can win this game. So far in only 1 game has Portsmouth scored less than 30 points, so offensively the Trojans have been consistent. The defense certainly will have to be on alert to contain the Hornets' prolific running attack.

To date: Portsmouth offense: 29.8 PPG........Portsmouth defense: 32.2 PPG

Current playoff ranking in Region 19: Portsmouth #16......3.3857

Top 16 make the playoffs.......if the Trojans can sneak in, with their offense, could be an interesting matchup as an underdog.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Should be a fun high scoring game for sure

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Not much talk about this game. I think it could be a pretty good one to watch. CG may be sleeping on the Trojans. Portsmouth needs this win. If they don’t get it then they won’t win 5 games and the playoffs won’t be possible.

Team ovc
Freshman Team

Post by Team ovc »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:34 pm Not much talk about this game. I think it could be a pretty good one to watch. CG may be sleeping on the Trojans. Portsmouth needs this win. If they don’t get it then they won’t win 5 games and the playoffs won’t be possible.
I can assure you no one from CG is sleeping on the Trojans this will by far be the toughest game of the year so far for the hornets. Should be an exciting high scoring game. Just hoping for a good injury free game

mustard
JV Team

Post by mustard »

This one I've been waiting for Coal Grove. Are they Legit?

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

Portsmouth has some athletes. As usual if they have a weakness, it's stacking up physically. CG is usually a hard hitting, physical style. Much like West. It didn't fare well for the Trojans, but I think they gave up mentally very early in the West game too. Rooting for the Trojans, definitely capable of a win.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
Beergogglebluez
SE

Trojans have athletes but as stated they are not physical. A few kids are Hammond and Pendleton will go toe to toe. Can grove stop the speedy receivers Portsmouth has? Can Portsmouth stop the hall kid. I might have to bring a sleeping bag last game at coal grove was 66-63 hornets. Penalties were rare since no defense stepped on the field all night.

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

See below post
Last edited by portsmouth_98 on Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

I think Portsmouth can win but we need a run game. Our defense isn’t pretty but I believe they could do a little better if our offense could keep them off the field for a little bit. I think the run game might have found a groove last week with a different kid running the ball (drawing a blank “Highland maybe”). The other area we need to improve is special teams, mainly our kickoffs, our kicker has a good leg and we need to pin teams back instead of squibbing so much. I’m sure Kalb is trying to cover for something by doing that and he definitely knows more about football than I do but it really backfired for us 2 times in the last 3 weeks.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

There's going to be fireworks?

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

portsmouth_98 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:27 pm I think Portsmouth can win but we need a run game. Our defense isn’t pretty but I believe they could do a little better if our offense could keep them off the field for a little bit. I think the run game might have found a groove last week with a different kid running the ball (drawing a blank “Highland maybe”). The other area we need to improve is special teams, mainly our kickoffs, our kicker has a good leg and we need to pin teams back instead of squibbing so much. I’m sure Kalb is trying to cover for something by doing that and he definitely knows more about football than I do but it really backfired for us 2 times in the last 3 weeks.

Lost after a short kick last year in the last minute in another huge game also .

"Waverly" cost us a home play off game

Beergogglebluez
SE

biggdowgg wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:53 am
portsmouth_98 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:27 pm I think Portsmouth can win but we need a run game. Our defense isn’t pretty but I believe they could do a little better if our offense could keep them off the field for a little bit. I think the run game might have found a groove last week with a different kid running the ball (drawing a blank “Highland maybe”). The other area we need to improve is special teams, mainly our kickoffs, our kicker has a good leg and we need to pin teams back instead of squibbing so much. I’m sure Kalb is trying to cover for something by doing that and he definitely knows more about football than I do but it really backfired for us 2 times in the last 3 weeks.

Lost after a short kick last year in the last minute in another huge game also .

"Waverly" cost us a home play off game
I don’t think it was a squib kick but didn’t we mess up at Fairland by kicking it to brumfeld and he ran it back for a score. Special teams haunts the Trojans

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

No the fairland one wasn't a squib .

We just need to pull out a upset somewhere in these last 5 games , maybe two...it's not out of the question

Return to “Football”