Minford 16 - 29 Portsmouth West 2022

CoachC
Freshman Team

Re: WK7 Minford - Portsmouth West

Post by CoachC »

West is a team waiting for a tougher opponent. They found a match against Fairland and last game against Waverly, but neither were the better team. West was in the driver's seat in both those contests, but "the weakness" as some fans on here call it crept in to lose one, keep the other too close. Put the game away early, but don't stop being who you are for four quarters. The offense at times is unstoppable, but still progressing. The defense is a concern, but fixable with a little film room coaching up. These kids want the gold ball, but the time to prepare is quickly running out. We know each game requires full attention and preparation, so as to not fall into a trap. But the king still lives in Porter Township and will demand all aspects to be at a level we aren't to as of yet. For now, it's all about Minford for 48 minutes!

SiderSam
Waterboy

Post by SiderSam »

West will not face a “tough” opponent until week 10.
They had Waverly stunned but couldn’t deliver the knockout blow.
From what I seen when Waverly would go hurry up, There was no change to the Defense and Waverly seen it and started to exploit it.
If the above doesn’t change I can see problems in week 10 and further. We can’t stay in the same Defense while the offense is in the hurry up. I honestly feel that if Waverly gets the onside kick late
they drive down and beat us. Minford isn’t Waverly, but has another great runner! If we can shut him down I think we win Big!

🟠⬛️WESTSIDE🟠⬛️
Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

packers80 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:09 pm
2quick2catch wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:39 pm
packers80 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:20 pm West big. This is the time of year of reality for muletown.
Appears the last 3 years it is West who has faced reality when playing "Muletown". The Series is right around .500 since 2012, so the narrative that West owns this matchup is not found, at least in the past decade, including the aforementioned previous 3. As for this matchup, as a Burg fan I thought if Pica catches that first TD pass to go up 7-0, we could of been in for an entirely different game at Ed Miller Stadium, although I am confident Burg would of pulled away by 14 or so regardless. Minford is a young team, so with some early success vs. West, I could see it being a 4 quarter battle this friday in "Muletown", the narrative being pushed of dominance by some west fans is head scratching.
I was saying this is the part of the season muletown starts to struggle. Because they usually do after their non conference is over.
I know there have been a couple close games vs Burg, but has there been any games, including conference games, that Ruby has won that Minford wasnt really a favorite?

They still have some winable games on the schedule this year but it seems like its been really tough getting out of that 3-4 place in the SOC II.

I would have them favored vs Oak Hill and Valley which could put them 7-3 or 6-4 which would still get them into this expanded playoff system.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

CoachC wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:56 pm West is a team waiting for a tougher opponent. They found a match against Fairland and last game against Waverly, but neither were the better team. West was in the driver's seat in both those contests, but "the weakness" as some fans on here call it crept in to lose one, keep the other too close. Put the game away early, but don't stop being who you are for four quarters. The offense at times is unstoppable, but still progressing. The defense is a concern, but fixable with a little film room coaching up. These kids want the gold ball, but the time to prepare is quickly running out. We know each game requires full attention and preparation, so as to not fall into a trap. But the king still lives in Porter Township and will demand all aspects to be at a level we aren't to as of yet. For now, it's all about Minford for 48 minutes!
Now correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Fairland beat West and Waverly scored 42 points against them. Pretty sure they're not looking of a tougher opponent they've already come across it. Now if you want to talk about West being the better team on paper going into both games, absolutely they were heavily favored in both games. A week 1 game there's no weakness of schedule at that point man, now the Waverly game once you get that deep into the season that's when schedule strength can help build teams see Waverly. I still have West as my pick to win the SOC and have since the off-season, but I will say the Waverly game was very alarming and I think that very well could've been the slap in the face West needed as they were simply going through the motions until this game. It's not enough to be the better team on paper, that's never won a game for anyone, you've got to show up week in and week out for 4 quarters. Based on what Waverly did, which I think was a favor to West, I won't be shocked if West steam rolled in this one.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

greygoose wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:42 am
CoachC wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:56 pm West is a team waiting for a tougher opponent. They found a match against Fairland and last game against Waverly, but neither were the better team. West was in the driver's seat in both those contests, but "the weakness" as some fans on here call it crept in to lose one, keep the other too close. Put the game away early, but don't stop being who you are for four quarters. The offense at times is unstoppable, but still progressing. The defense is a concern, but fixable with a little film room coaching up. These kids want the gold ball, but the time to prepare is quickly running out. We know each game requires full attention and preparation, so as to not fall into a trap. But the king still lives in Porter Township and will demand all aspects to be at a level we aren't to as of yet. For now, it's all about Minford for 48 minutes!
Now correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Fairland beat West and Waverly scored 42 points against them. Pretty sure they're not looking of a tougher opponent they've already come across it. Now if you want to talk about West being the better team on paper going into both games, absolutely they were heavily favored in both games. A week 1 game there's no weakness of schedule at that point man, now the Waverly game once you get that deep into the season that's when schedule strength can help build teams see Waverly. I still have West as my pick to win the SOC and have since the off-season, but I will say the Waverly game was very alarming and I think that very well could've been the slap in the face West needed as they were simply going through the motions until this game. It's not enough to be the better team on paper, that's never won a game for anyone, you've got to show up week in and week out for 4 quarters. Based on what Waverly did, which I think was a favor to West, I won't be shocked if West steam rolled in this one.

Great post.

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

greygoose wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:42 am [quote=CoachC post_id=2022012 time=<a href="tel:1664308613">1664308613</a> user_id=110]
West is a team waiting for a tougher opponent. They found a match against Fairland and last game against Waverly, but neither were the better team. West was in the driver's seat in both those contests, but "the weakness" as some fans on here call it crept in to lose one, keep the other too close. Put the game away early, but don't stop being who you are for four quarters. The offense at times is unstoppable, but still progressing. The defense is a concern, but fixable with a little film room coaching up. These kids want the gold ball, but the time to prepare is quickly running out. We know each game requires full attention and preparation, so as to not fall into a trap. But the king still lives in Porter Township and will demand all aspects to be at a level we aren't to as of yet. For now, it's all about Minford for 48 minutes!
[/quote]

I think you’re exactly right. The Waverly game was probably the best thing that could’ve happened. Close game to get the coaches and players attention and still win the game.

All the credit to Waverly. They ran a lot of stuff that West hadn’t prepared for and they played inspired and confident. But I do agree. West is a much better team and is as talented or more talented in almost every position. I really believe if West/Waverly played again Friday it is a totally different outcome. And that’s why they play the game.

Treeh0rn
Waterboy

Post by Treeh0rn »

packers80 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:20 pm West big. This is the time of year of reality for muletown.
Actually, the last 3 years Minford walked away with a W and reality set in for West.

iplayfootball
Waterboy

Post by iplayfootball »

Treeh0rn wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:31 am
Actually, the last 3 years Minford walked away with a W and reality set in for West.
I think it's pretty obvious that this west team is a bit different then past years. That will indeed show when West walks away with at least a 30 point win this Friday night

mustard
JV Team

Post by mustard »

Minford being drummed by a team that cant pass, gives me no indication that they can beat west, who can pass.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Interesting stat. I looked it up and West hasnt beat Minford since 2018. And the average win margin is well over 20 point difference per year.

I think Minford has something to prove after the Burg game and West has something to prove if they are going to have any shot at winning the SOC II.

Very interesting matchup

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

iplayfootball wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:05 pm
I think it's pretty obvious that this west team is a bit different then past years. That will indeed show when West walks away with at least a 30 point win this Friday night
They said that the last 3 years also. And every team is different year to year, not just West ;)

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

Bleeding Red wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:39 pm
iplayfootball wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:05 pm
They said that the last 3 years also. And every team is different year to year, not just West ;)
I dont know anyone who has said that. Maybe last year. Minford came out last year at Valley and smacked us in the mouth. I think we may have been the more talented team then,just a little more youthful and they got smacked. But the two years prior were very low points in West football. Those 3 wins account for 20 percent of Minfords wins all time against West. They have played every year since 1960.

History talk is just for fun though. As far as this year, the more I think about it, I think it will be a bad day for Minford. The close call with Waverly is just what they needed to kick them into the next gear I believe. This team is so balanced it really is hard to game plan for.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
2quick2catch
Freshman Team

Post by 2quick2catch »

I think many of you are going to be in for rude awakening. I have seen both, and Minford is just as good as Waverly. Look to see a barn burner in Muletown. There's Wheelersburg and then everyone else this year.

CoachC
Freshman Team

Post by CoachC »

You are correct that Fairland "beat" West, that Waverly dropped 42 on them. My point was that West has the parts needed (after some adjustments needed) to take the gold ball and go a ways into the playoffs. Fairland got an early gift from special teams, then took away the running game for the most part. Our passing game wasn't quite ready, or lacked execution of the got to have type of play. That game is over, but it would've been great to have had simple in game adjustments to pull away from them like Ironton did. Waverly just kept playing hard, against a vanilla defense that was easy to read. West kids were still hustling, but were caught out of position, or unprepared for the hurry up style Waverly brought to the game.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

CoachC wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:00 pm
You are correct that Fairland "beat" West, that Waverly dropped 42 on them. My point was that West has the parts needed (after some adjustments needed) to take the gold ball and go a ways into the playoffs. Fairland got an early gift from special teams, then took away the running game for the most part. Our passing game wasn't quite ready, or lacked execution of the got to have type of play. That game is over, but it would've been great to have had simple in game adjustments to pull away from them like Ironton did. Waverly just kept playing hard, against a vanilla defense that was easy to read. West kids were still hustling, but were caught out of position, or unprepared for the hurry up style Waverly brought to the game.
Wow, dude you don’t give up 42 because you were sitting in a vanilla defense. You don’t have to fight to recover a onside kick to pull out the win because you were playing vanilla. Also I’ve seen Waverly a few times over the years they’ve ran hurry up for awhile now, so if West was caught off guard that’d make them the only team or person in SEO not knowing that’s what Waverly ran. I still think west is a great team but let’s not make excuses for lack of execution, just own it and get better these games will make you better in the end.

basketballplayer123
Waterboy

Post by basketballplayer123 »

[media][/media]
2quick2catch wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:20 pm I think many of you are going to be in for rude awakening. I have seen both, and Minford is just as good as Waverly. Look to see a barn burner in Muletown. There's Wheelersburg and then everyone else this year.
i think you will be in for a rude awakening with West breaks in that brand new turf with a soc championship

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

I think Minford plays better this week and keeps it close. But give me the senior QB over the freshman Qb. I’ll say West wins 34-28.*

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

art_vandelay wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:36 pm I think Minford plays better this week and keeps it close. But give me the senior QB over the freshman Qb. I’ll say West wins 34-28.*
Interesting I think I'd be pretty surprised if Minford put up 28, just don't think they've got the passing game to put that much up. Then again, I wouldn't have guessed Waverly putting up 42 so who knows.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

greygoose wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:01 am
art_vandelay wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:36 pm I think Minford plays better this week and keeps it close. But give me the senior QB over the freshman Qb. I’ll say West wins 34-28.*
Interesting I think I'd be pretty surprised if Minford put up 28, just don't think they've got the passing game to put that much up. Then again, I wouldn't have guessed Waverly putting up 42 so who knows.
That was my thinking as well when I predicted 28 pts for Minford. And don’t get me wrong about the freshman QB for Minford...I think he going to be really good by end of next year. I just like West’s experience and physicality in this one.*

Valley91
Waterboy

Post by Valley91 »

IMO Minford is a one man show. You take Pica away who do they have, nobody. If you look at Minford’s schedule they haven’t beaten a team with a winning record. So I’m going with west on this one big.

Return to “Football”