Valley 7 - 60 Waverly 2022

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Re: Valley 7 - 60 Waverly 2022

Post by Sonny Weaver »

What is the reasoning for the decline in involvement at Valley?

I'm sure Crabtree is good with the kids, but I can't imagine being the head baseball AND football coach, they need someone who is going to focus solely on the program and build it back up -- they're a long way from the 2010's.

I've also been told that the reason for wanting to remain in SOC2 is for money, and I believe that. Major difference in the amount of fans for the SOC2 schools as opposed to SOC1, and not just in football, but all sports, boys and girls.

Dan-The-Man
Riding the Bench

Post by Dan-The-Man »

Decline in involvement? Like student participation or in coaches?

I saw Nolan do all the right things this summer from conditioning program, the summer work, the linemen competition. All kinds of really good positive vibes around the program. The numbers on the team are about the same as they have been and I have seen a lot of positive offensive changes.

Maybe it is tough to do both but I sure have not seen a decline there. I see the same issues that there have been with lack of quality depth to compete with bigger schools. I think there is something to the too good for SOC 1 but not good enough for SOC 2 argument.

I was excited early on watching their scrimmages, and even in the frustrating losses to good Portsmouth and Coal Grove teams. It just seems that the lack of depth is starting to show through in conference games and once you get deeper in the year. It’s not an easy fix and it won’t be easier with the team next year being full of freshmen and sophomores. I don’t think there are any juniors at all, maybe 1 or 2.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Nolan is invested, he bleeds Valley, he’s doing exactly what he wants to be doing, it’s not too much coaching both, because his passion is teaching, developing, and mentoring young men.

All this considered, it’s simply depth and overall numbers. There is no easy fix for the situation Valley is in.

My HOPE is that the community comes together, all these parents who are scared of their babies getting hurt, let them get after it, let these talented kids come together and build something that they can all be proud of.

I think something parents don’t value is the lessons learned in playing football with your best friends and brothers. Whether you’re up 30 to down 30 you’re relying on each other to do your absolute best until the clock hits 0:00.

As alluded to, Nolan and his staff are doing ALL the right things, Midnight madness, competitions, new uniforms, etc..bringing what most programs do to Valley.

They have the facilities, they have the education.

My message to Lucasville is BE PATIENT, and if you’re on the fence…let your kids get out there and play, they will be apart of something they’ll never forget.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

coop wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:02 am Nolan is invested, he bleeds Valley, he’s doing exactly what he wants to be doing, it’s not too much coaching both, because his passion is teaching, developing, and mentoring young men.

All this considered, it’s simply depth and overall numbers. There is no easy fix for the situation Valley is in.

My HOPE is that the community comes together, all these parents who are scared of their babies getting hurt, let them get after it, let these talented kids come together and build something that they can all be proud of.

I think something parents don’t value is the lessons learned in playing football with your best friends and brothers. Whether you’re up 30 to down 30 you’re relying on each other to do your absolute best until the clock hits 0:00.

As alluded to, Nolan and his staff are doing ALL the right things, Midnight madness, competitions, new uniforms, etc..bringing what most programs do to Valley.

They have the facilities, they have the education.

My message to Lucasville is BE PATIENT, and if you’re on the fence…let your kids get out there and play, they will be apart of something they’ll never forget.
Very good post.

Fan of the youth
Freshman Team

Post by Fan of the youth »

Valley moving to the SOC I is not the answer. While it may always be hard for Valley to win the SOC II the schedule they play will benefit them in the playoffs. The playoffs will need to be the focus most years. Marion local has been in the MAC 47 seasons. They have won 8 MAC conference titles but they have won more State Championships (12) than conference titles. I am not at all saying Valley is at the level of Marion Local. However, I would rather tell my son to strive to beat the best rather than tell him let's find a league you can win. Percentage wise the difference in Valley and the SOC I schools is much larger than the marginal difference of Valley to their fellow SOC II foes. Transfers are here to stay whether I like it or not, and sure, Valley lost some players from this years' senior class, but the question needs asked, why did they leave? The question that also needs asked is why isn't Valley getting transfers, because the schools and the facilities are indeed great.

During the run of 30 straight wins and 3 straight SOC II titles (2011-2013) Valley had some transfers during that run but the majority arrived at Valley in the very early years, way before Valley's dominant run in the SOC II. Does Valley still get transfers? The boys on those successful teams grew up in a intramural system that maximized equal play/development and used the terminology and playbook that was delivered from the Head Varsity Coach. The middle school was the same plan. The boys bought in and stayed the course and the high school received classes with a good base skill set and knowledge. I don't know if anything has changed at the lower levels or not but that was once the way.

jujubean
Freshman Team

Post by jujubean »

I know of at least 4 transfers to Valley that do/will bring value to any program.

ValleyStrong
Freshman Team

Post by ValleyStrong »

Fan of the youth wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:41 pm Valley moving to the SOC I is not the answer. While it may always be hard for Valley to win the SOC II the schedule they play will benefit them in the playoffs. The playoffs will need to be the focus most years. Marion local has been in the MAC 47 seasons. They have won 8 MAC conference titles but they have won more State Championships (12) than conference titles. I am not at all saying Valley is at the level of Marion Local. However, I would rather tell my son to strive to beat the best rather than tell him let's find a league you can win. Percentage wise the difference in Valley and the SOC I schools is much larger than the marginal difference of Valley to their fellow SOC II foes. Transfers are here to stay whether I like it or not, and sure, Valley lost some players from this years' senior class, but the question needs asked, why did they leave? The question that also needs asked is why isn't Valley getting transfers, because the schools and the facilities are indeed great.

During the run of 30 straight wins and 3 straight SOC II titles (2011-2013) Valley had some transfers during that run but the majority arrived at Valley in the very early years, way before Valley's dominant run in the SOC II. Does Valley still get transfers? The boys on those successful teams grew up in a intramural system that maximized equal play/development and used the terminology and playbook that was delivered from the Head Varsity Coach. The middle school was the same plan. The boys bought in and stayed the course and the high school received classes with a good base skill set and knowledge. I don't know if anything has changed at the lower levels or not but that was once the way.

So what i gather is stay in SOC2 get gutted, and win playoffs? Wow trhat is a way to look at it, over a teachable moment of adversity. If you do not have the kids to backfill that is not a very good method. It isnt a matter of winning the league,, it is about being balanced until the program grows, and then being competitive in SOC2 again. It isnt about winning golden footballs in SOC1 at all. It is only about getting the #'s up and developing the kids under the new system. Honestly drop and screw the golden footballs, let the d7 schools keep em (which we will be on next count, unless we magically grab a bunch of transfers) just get our team ready to play SOC 2 again.

Valley has a good amount of transfers in the system. Peewee and jr high should be running the HS watered down system, and if not that should be addressed. Playoffs should be the focus, but if the majority of starters are beat down, and injured how does that correlate to good runs. We would have to play all starters limited , and start playing freshman as soon as conference hits to keep kids healthy, lack of depth kills

Player safety is being disregarded when kids have to play ironman football, against teams that can have seperate offenses, and defenses or have 2 to 3 times the rotators as we do. Player safety again. Honestly, merge ovc, svc, and soc, and make a multi division super conference for that matter, but balance it out.
Last edited by ValleyStrong on Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ValleyStrong
Freshman Team

Post by ValleyStrong »

jujubean wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:23 pm I know of at least 4 transfers to Valley that do/will bring value to any program.
Yes a couple are statters, and a few will be coming up next year, and the following years. They are great kids who are and will greatly benefit the program. I dont know the exact count through 7 to 12 but there are quite a few
Last edited by ValleyStrong on Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

The peewees do run a similar system.

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

ValleyStrong wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:02 pm
Fan of the youth wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:41 pm Valley moving to the SOC I is not the answer. While it may always be hard for Valley to win the SOC II the schedule they play will benefit them in the playoffs. The playoffs will need to be the focus most years. Marion local has been in the MAC 47 seasons. They have won 8 MAC conference titles but they have won more State Championships (12) than conference titles. I am not at all saying Valley is at the level of Marion Local. However, I would rather tell my son to strive to beat the best rather than tell him let's find a league you can win. Percentage wise the difference in Valley and the SOC I schools is much larger than the marginal difference of Valley to their fellow SOC II foes. Transfers are here to stay whether I like it or not, and sure, Valley lost some players from this years' senior class, but the question needs asked, why did they leave? The question that also needs asked is why isn't Valley getting transfers, because the schools and the facilities are indeed great.

So what i gather is stay in SOC2 get gutted, and win playoffs? Wow trhat is a way to look at it, over a teachable moment of adversity. If you do not have the kids to backfill that is not a very good method. It isnt a matter of winning the league,, it is about being balanced until the program grows, and then being competitive in SOC2 again. It isnt about winning golden footballs in SOC1 at all. It is only about getting the #'s up and developing the kids under the new system. Honestly drop and screw the golden footballs, let the d7 schools keep em (which we will be on next count, unless we magically grab a bunch of transfers) just get our team ready to play SOC 2 again.

Valley has a good amount of transfers in the system. Peewee and jr high should be running the HS watered down system, and if not that should be addressed. Playoffs should be the focus, but if the majority of starters are beat down, and injured how does that correlate to good runs. We would have to play all starters limited , and start playing freshman as soon as conference hits to keep kids healthy, lack of depth kills

Player safety is being disregarded when kids have to play ironman football, against teams that can have seperate offenses, and defenses or have 2 to 3 times the rotators as we do. Player safety again. Honestly, merge ovc, svc, and soc, and make a multi division super conference for that matter, but balance it out.
You seem to only care about player safety when it applies to your players.
90% of SOC1 kids have to play Ironman football. But their doing it out of necessity with rosters of 25.

If Golden Footballs don't mean a thing to you and this is about player safety then you should be petitioning to drop out of your conference and go Independent. Schedule only who you think you can safely play until your program is built back the way you want it.

Dan-The-Man
Riding the Bench

Post by Dan-The-Man »

While at pee wee practice I’ve seen Nolan run or be involved with multiple practices. Also the jr high is definitely running the offensive system. I am very positive that all groups have been running a version of the system and I have seen Nolan there quite a bit.

Fan of the youth
Freshman Team

Post by Fan of the youth »

Dan, that is good to hear for the program.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Nolan is invested from the lowest grade to the highest, thats 100% accurate. He's just getting started, like many have said...the numbers arent there right now, but they are working to get Valley football where everyone wants it, and thinks it should be.

Return to “Football”