Valley 7 - 60 Waverly 2022

NW97
Freshman Team

Re: Valley 7 - 60 Waverly 2022

Post by NW97 »

I was told Valley makes way more on ticket sales being in SOC 2 and that's one of the main reasons they won't leave. Can't say how true that is, just something I was told.

NW97
Freshman Team

Post by NW97 »

ColdHardTruth wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:16 pm So I pulled up some OHSAA's Competitive Balence Numbers for 2022.

Here's some of the local numbers.

Green 65
East 45
Symmes Valley 94
*Eastern 109
Notre Dame 48
South Gallia 75
*Manchester 108
*Western 93
(I put a * next to those schools as they have larger numbers than the usual SOC1 Schools but also just began having Football programs in the last 10 years.)

Northwest 160
Valley 122

Burg 176
Waverly 240
Rock Hill 148
Ironton 177
Coal Grove 131
Chesepeake 164
Fairland 185
Portsmouth 171
Oak Hill 147
Jackson 277

It's not fair to ask SOC1 Schools to Constantly have to play Schools with 2-3 times the enrollment for the sake of rebuilding. It should have never been allowed with Northwest. If those programs need to rebuild then drop from your conference and go independent until you think you can compete again.
Obviously enrollment numbers doesn't necessarily mean everything. Otherwise how can wheersburg and ironton compete with Jackson? But of that's what you go by maybe they should cut soc1 to 100 and under only.

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

NW97 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:21 pm I was told Valley makes way more on ticket sales being in SOC 2 and that's one of the main reasons they won't leave. Can't say how true that is, just something I was told.
That could be true I have always heard they don’t want to go down I don’t know what is best for them at this point their enrollment is only going to keep going down

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

NW97 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:30 pm
ColdHardTruth wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:16 pm So I pulled up some OHSAA's Competitive Balence Numbers for 2022.

Green 65
East 45
Symmes Valley 94
*Eastern 109
Notre Dame 48
South Gallia 75
*Manchester 108
*Western 93
(I put a * next to those schools as they have larger numbers than the usual SOC1 Schools but also just began having Football programs in the last 10 years.)

Northwest 160
Valley 122

Burg 176
Waverly 240
Rock Hill 148
Ironton 177
Coal Grove 131
Chesepeake 164
Fairland 185
Portsmouth 171
Oak Hill 147
Jackson 277

It's not fair to ask SOC1 Schools to Constantly have to play Schools with 2-3 times the enrollment for the sake of rebuilding. It should have never been allowed with Northwest. If those programs need to rebuild then drop from your conference and go independent until you think you can compete again.
Obviously enrollment numbers doesn't necessarily mean everything. Otherwise how can wheersburg and ironton compete with Jackson? But of that's what you go by maybe they should cut soc1 to 100 and under only.
I agree enrollment numbers should not determine conference divisions it don’t matter if you would have 1000 boys if only 30 plays football you should play against teams with 30 players

NW97
Freshman Team

Post by NW97 »

Izladoom wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:33 pm
NW97 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:30 pm

Green 65
East 45
Symmes Valley 94
*Eastern 109
Notre Dame 48
South Gallia 75
*Manchester 108
*Western 93

Northwest 160
Valley 122

Burg 176
Waverly 240
Rock Hill 148
Ironton 177
Coal Grove 131
Chesepeake 164
Fairland 185
Portsmouth 171
Oak Hill 147
Jackson 277

I agree enrollment numbers should not determine conference divisions it don’t matter if you would have 1000 boys if only 30 plays football you should play against teams with 30 players
Maybe it should be number of boys minus number of boys in the band lol

dirt_cinders
JV Team

Post by dirt_cinders »

Green 65
East 45
Symmes Valley 94
*Eastern 109
Notre Dame 48
South Gallia 75
*Manchester 108
*Western 93

Northwest 160
Valley 122

Burg 176
Waverly 240
Rock Hill 148
Ironton 177
Coal Grove 131
Chesepeake 164
Fairland 185
Portsmouth 171
Oak Hill 147
Jackson 277

Like the numbers - they provide some clarity. Would like to know Minford and West enrollment. Valley moving down would basically create the same situation for the SOC I schools that they are trying to get away from and experiencing in SOC2. Interesting.

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

Not all enrollment numbers are created equal..I can agree with that. Notre Dame is a prime example. Nearly 50% of their male population plays football. Certain schools based on the success of their programs over the years will draw a higher percentage of their student body playing sports.

Sometimes it's a specialization. Ironton is a good example. How many kids have left their home Schools just to go specialize in football at Ironton? So a school likes that's numbers aren't the same as a school who doesn't have a bunch of kids coming there just to specialize in a sport.

I wouldn't mind seeing them take actual team sizes into account.

Most SOC1 Schools average 20-30 players.
What has Valley and Northwests numbers been at the last few years?

dirt_cinders
JV Team

Post by dirt_cinders »

I guess then based on team roster perspective Wheelersburg should be playing Cincinnati Moeller and Dublin Coffman etc.....
Maybe OHSAA has it all wrong. LOL!

ValleyStrong
Freshman Team

Post by ValleyStrong »

NW97 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:21 pm I was told Valley makes way more on ticket sales being in SOC 2 and that's one of the main reasons they won't leave. Can't say how true that is, just something I was told.
You have said this before, do you believe this to be true or just someone's opinion? If it is true then it needs to be addressed. I however believe yes it makes more $$, but i doubt that is the reason to stay. Kids need to be put front and center, and decisions that center around what is best for them.

Still does not change the drop and sour taste that has been left . Enrollmnebt #'s look as if you are in the top couple schools for SOC 2, and we are basically not even close except for OH. Poor decisions that will now make an SOC1 transition for us impossible. Thanks again.

It is not a matter of us wanting to go down, it is a matter of we dont have the #'s, so we need to go down for safety, and rebuilding of #'s so we can get back to SOC2. We dont want to go but it is logical, smart, and puts the best interests of student athletes first. When we are D7 on the next count, even though we are basically there now how do you say no at that point. We are almost at the cutoff, so when we hit D7 is it still going to be a fight to go down? We are what just a couple kida away now.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Valley has 122 boys. That’s plenty to field a team of around 40-45 players and that’s not an unrealistic outlook…right now just under or around 30% of boys are playing football. I think you will see those numbers increasing, and I think you’ll see less kids leaving the district. Just my opinion…but with the direction they’re headed, and being the highest ranked academic school in the area, bodes well for Lucasville.

In 2000-2001 (I’m estimating based on my class) Valley had around 255-265 total students give or take a few, which this years total enrollment is 231, you’re looking at 30 less kids boys and girls.

We still fielded a team of close to 50…give or take of course. If you’ve got 122 boys and 1/3 per grade play football you’re looking at 40-42 boys playing.

I know there are other factors, soccer, kids don’t wanna play, safety, etc…but at the same time I think with the direction they’re headed, the culture, the modernization so-to-speak of the program, kids who were “on the fence” are going to start leaning toward joining their brothers on the field.

****DISCLAIMER**** the numbers are estimates but close, so chill out lol.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

I would say that there is a lot of truth in that statement. No doubt that some of the larger schools that are in the SOC-2 are probably going to have a larger following of fans for both football and basketball.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

ValleyStrong wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:37 pm
NW97 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:54 pm Not sure why some act like Northwest moved down and dominated. They have won one title and shared one in what, 8 years?
Truth is you shouldn't have been allowed to drop you should of went independent or found another league. You have one if not the largest enrollments in Scioto County. It was not equitable for any small school you play to agree to it, but the board vote allowed it. Wasn't it a 3 year deal, then 5 then 7? And it has kept going. You may have not dominated but the point was to drop rebuild then go back up not to continually ask to stay down. If the conference your size is not comparable then maybe look outside the box, because it takes 2 to 3 Soc1 schools to equal your size.. Now Valley needs time down and we are barely D6 and will most likely be a D7 school next year, but it will be impossible to get there because of NW'S irresponsibility of staying down so long. So yeah a little sour over this, adults not makimg responsible decisions rhat put kids first.
Northwest was 7 kids away from dropping to D6 as was West. Next count they'll both probably be D6.

jujubean
Freshman Team

Post by jujubean »

That statement is ludicrous. Valley plays AT Wheelersburg and AT West this year. Not sure how they make money there. Plus, as stated before, Valley played Wheelersburg before they joined SOC2. If you need gate money, then you simply schedule those schools as non-conference.

The conference is what it is. Wheelersburg has been the only dominate school in football, year in and year out. Waverly has enjoyed success only as of late, while West and Minford sporadically have great teams. Numbers do matter, especially when over half your roster are fresh/soph. In a couple years we will be fine.

We lost to Portsmouth and Coal Grove in competitive games that could have went either way. We beat Piketon, Eastern, and Oak Hill, with 2 major hiccups of Northwest and Waverly.

Losing wears on fans, and especially kids. I dare say that if 1 of the 1st 2 games was a W or didn't lose to NW, we wouldn't be having this conversation. But we did, it is what it is. I just hope we get better between now and next season.

ValleyStrong
Freshman Team

Post by ValleyStrong »

And we will be d7,, point being your still bigger. Congrats. What is your roster count and what is wests roster count? Be honest about this, our #'s are dropping, so is our roster count. Yeah we may pick some kids up but if we are still small, and take a handdful of injuries we do not have the #'s to backfill, you all do. Plain and simple we need the move NW has made a mess of everything in SOC1. When we become d7 then no one should say a word, and let us go down. This is ridiculous justifying us to stay up over history, and nostalgia. SOC needs to re-evaluate the league and do the right thing by the kids, not adults.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

ValleyStrong wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:41 pm And we will be d7,, point being your still bigger. Congrats. What is your roster count and what is wests roster count? Be honest about this, our #'s are dropping, so is our roster count. Yeah we may pick some kids up but if we are still small, and take a handdful of injuries we do not have the #'s to backfill, you all do. Plain and simple we need the move NW has made a mess of everything in SOC1. When we become d7 then no one should say a word, and let us go down. This is ridiculous justifying us to stay up over history, and nostalgia. SOC needs to re-evaluate the league and do the right thing by the kids, not adults.
I've said for years Northwest should have never been put down in SOC I. Neither Valley or Oakhill belong in SOC II.
I think the SOC needs to go to 3 divisions.

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

BigBlueNation wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:36 pm
ValleyStrong wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:41 pm And we will be d7,, point being your still bigger. Congrats. What is your roster count and what is wests roster count? Be honest about this, our #'s are dropping, so is our roster count. Yeah we may pick some kids up but if we are still small, and take a handdful of injuries we do not have the #'s to backfill, you all do. Plain and simple we need the move NW has made a mess of everything in SOC1. When we become d7 then no one should say a word, and let us go down. This is ridiculous justifying us to stay up over history, and nostalgia. SOC needs to re-evaluate the league and do the right thing by the kids, not adults.
I've said for years Northwest should have never been put down in SOC I. Neither Valley or Oakhill belong in SOC II.
I agree. There probably aren’t enough teams currently tho.
But if just a few OVC schools are fed up with Ironton, you might be able to make something.
I hope 3 divisions happens somehow.

ValleyStrong
Freshman Team

Post by ValleyStrong »

pmow3 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:38 pm
BigBlueNation wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:36 pm
I agree. There probably aren’t enough teams currently tho.
But if just a few OVC schools are fed up with Ironton, you might be able to make something.
I hope 3 divisions happens somehow.
Agree, sooner the better...current set up is no way balanced.

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

We have heard that money is considered in this but they have a pretty insane amount of money in the bank and really nothing left to spend it on for awhile so that shouldn’t be a issue. The three divisions is the only thing that’s fair to all sides but also the least likely thing to happen. Losing is not the problem we have lost for several years now I think what’s people is upset with is how we are losing and the attitude of the players on the field. They just show no emotion even when they make a big play it’s always just walk off the field or on to the next play. That might just be how kids are today and most of us older guys are not use to it. I believe valley will be ok in the future. Just fans might have to adjust expectations and realize that we are no longer a football school for awhile. There is about zero chance they would ever leave the soc or go independent. The only way that happens is if Darren wanted it because I’d think the board would basically do anything he wanted. But we all know that’s just not going to happen.

footballfan123
Waterboy

Post by footballfan123 »

I just don’t get why this wasn’t talked about last year. Valleys numbers were lower last year than what they were this year.

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

I feel like this might be a knee jerk reaction by parents who love their kids and don't want to see them have to struggle and that's completely understandable.

But Valleys numbers in this year, by all accounts is a lower number than usual for enrollment don't even put them within 20 kids of the closest SOC1 School.

I'm sure most the people behind the decisions to let Northwest step down are long gone given the turnover in ADs, Coaching Staffs and Parents since they were allowed to restructure.

It sucks and I'm sorry for the parents who love their kids and don't want to see them struggle against unfair fights. But Valley has been bleeding numbers for the last 8+ years. Rebuilding aka "stomping smaller schools to make us feel better", isn't the answer.

While Jr High doesn't equate to Varsity wins. I want to point out that Valleys Jr High Schedule has been mostly a SOC1 Schedule.
They are dominating almost every game they play.
Valley is unfortunately stuck in that position that they are too good for SOC1, not good enough for SOC2.

Return to “Football”