16 Teams per Region

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

16 Teams per Region

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

Why in the world is the OHSAA letting 16 teams in per region this year? I can understand doing that during the pandemic, but there was no pressing risk of missing games when the season began, and I don't recall hearing any games cancelled so far. I guess the answer is money, because calling 16 teams per region "playoff" teams is a joke. And then you see schools claiming their first playoff win vs. a 16-seed that went 4-6 in the regular season. Making the playoffs used to mean something in my day when only 4 teams per region made it. I like the idea of expanding to 8, but 16 is a joke.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Re: 16 Teams per Region

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

oldschoolqb13 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:03 pm Why in the world is the OHSAA letting 16 teams in per region this year? I can understand doing that during the pandemic, but there was no pressing risk of missing games when the season began, and I don't recall hearing any games cancelled so far. I guess the answer is money, because calling 16 teams per region "playoff" teams is a joke. And then you see schools claiming their first playoff win vs. a 16-seed that went 4-6 in the regular season. Making the playoffs used to mean something in my day when only 4 teams per region made it. I like the idea of expanding to 8, but 16 is a joke.

Money, money money money!!!

MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BigGuy10
Varsity

Post by BigGuy10 »

Completely agree! No team that goes under .500 should receive a chance to be in the playoffs. I know there have been a few times a 5-5 team went on to win the whole thing but very very few occasions.

A majority of the time when you have a 16 seed travel to the 1 seed, it's not even close to being a good ball game and kids are more than likely to get hurt! Football isn't like basketball when you get a 16v1 matchup. Much more physicality

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

According to Fantastic50, Unioto was a lock after their 3rd win

That’s just too many spots if all you have to do is win 3 times to get in. I didn’t like the idea of 12, but that was still better than 16.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

danicalifornia wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:37 pm According to Fantastic50, Unioto was a lock after their 3rd win

That’s just too many spots if all you have to do is win 3 times to get in. I didn’t like the idea of 12, but that was still better than 16.
I thought a top 12 would be perfect if you gave the first 4 a bye and 5/12, 6/11 etc played each other in the first round. That would limit a lot of blowouts early and also give teams that play brutal schedules a chance to slip onto the top 12 and make a run.

RollCoal
JV Team

Post by RollCoal »

It could be worse. Everyone in Kentucky makes the playoffs, even if they don’t have any wins. They’re set in districts instead of regions though..

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and excepting a different result;
Albert Einstein
danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Dundas wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:42 pm
danicalifornia wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:37 pm According to Fantastic50, Unioto was a lock after their 3rd win

I thought a top 12 would be perfect if you gave the first 4 a bye and 5/12, 6/11 etc played each other in the first round. That would limit a lot of blowouts early and also give teams that play brutal schedules a chance to slip onto the top 12 and make a run.
Yeah, I’d much prefer that to what we have now

Jumper45
Riding the Bench

Post by Jumper45 »

oldschoolqb13 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:03 pm Why in the world is the OHSAA letting 16 teams in per region this year? I can understand doing that during the pandemic, but there was no pressing risk of missing games when the season began, and I don't recall hearing any games cancelled so far. I guess the answer is money, because calling 16 teams per region "playoff" teams is a joke. And then you see schools claiming their first playoff win vs. a 16-seed that went 4-6 in the regular season. Making the playoffs used to mean something in my day when only 4 teams per region made it. I like the idea of expanding to 8, but 16 is a joke.
EXACTLY...MONEY MONEY MONEY

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

Wasn’t there 1 or 2 16 seeds win last season and multiple teams 13-15 win as well. I think it’s too watered down as well, I just don’t know how we skipped 12 teams and went straight to 16. If you’re going to do that hand out some byes, D1 some of those regions only have like 16-17 teams in it. There was a 0-10 team make it 1-9 and several 2-8 teams make it.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

I’m division 1 region 4 all 16 teams got in lol. In division 4 I think a 16 beat a 1 seed. I think it’s very watered down but I try to think of seniors getting to play but I’m the other hand do we rewards seniors with a losing records. I was at the Portsmouth game The other night talking about Portsmouth getting in at 4-6. It’s about money and it will never go back to 8. I think OHSAA handles all the tickets online starting week 11 and now give school very little if any travel money.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
Superman
JV Team

Post by Superman »

Hawaii ain't cheap. Gotta get those ticket sales.

DJT47
Riding the Bench

Post by DJT47 »

This is the new, weak, liberal world we now live in. Get used to it

fielddaddy
JV Team

Post by fielddaddy »

Going to be some really bad games there may be a upset or two but a 1 vs 16 will be a slaughter in all honesty should be the same for the 2 seed through 4 seed.
It's just a big money grab is all

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:36 pm In division 1 region 4 all 16 teams got in lol. In division 4 I think a 16 beat a 1 seed. I think it’s very watered down but I try to think of seniors getting to play but I’m the other hand do we rewards seniors with a losing records. I was at the Portsmouth game The other night talking about Portsmouth getting in at 4-6. It’s about money and it will never go back to 8. I think OHSAA handles all the tickets online starting week 11 and now give school very little if any travel money.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
muskiefan11
JV Team

Post by muskiefan11 »

Money grab by the OHSAA, 16 is way too many. To me they aren’t thinking about the kids safety, when you look at the schedule they play 2 scrimmages, 10 regular season games, and up to 6 playoff games to win the state title. That’s potentially 18 consecutive weeks of games without a week off; even the NFL and NCAA don’t play that many consecutive games. Throw in the fact teams only get a week of practice before their first scrimmage, I don’t have the numbers but I have to imagine player injuries are up. I know at JG the last 2-3 years with the playoff expansion we have suffered many more injuries than before.

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

The Coaches Association pushed for it to go from 8 to 12 teams after 2019 season. Then covid hit (2020). 2020 everyone who wanted in got in. The OHSAA decided to take the coaches association proposal, but remove the bye week proposed for teams #1-#4 and made it 16 teams per region instead of the proposed 12.

But yes, money, money, money.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

It’s dumb.

8 seems near perfect

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Only thing I like about 16 is you can schedule up and not worry about trying to find a team that isn’t that good but will go 8-2 with their schedule.

The good teams can be more postseason prepped without worrying about missing the playoffs.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Why are we complaining about more football? Yes some 16s won last year. Y’all having a get off my lawn moment.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

EasternDspy wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:35 pm Why are we complaining about more football? Yes some 16s won last year. Y’all having a get off my lawn moment.
Yes, I don’t understand why the fact football was the only sport who doesn’t let everyone participate in a postseason tournament is such a sacred cow to some people.

The safety issue is legit, but most people aren’t even using that as a talking point (and they don’t care). Obviously money is a factor because get this, activities cost money (including paying salaries). Otherwise, it has always sounded ridiculous to me that more kids having opportunities to do something special is somehow detrimental to someone else’s accomplishments or to their overall interest in the game.

Return to “Football”