Portsmouth 34 - 0 Fairland 2022

portsmouth_98
All State

Re: WK8 Portsmouth - Fairland

Post by portsmouth_98 »

The whole receiver issue is really a non factor. We have yet to and I can't imagine anytime in the future we lose a game because of our receiving Corp. Our biggest problems have been kickoffs, an inability to run the ball which accents our third problem which is a suspect defense that gets exposed when they are left on the field for 3/4' s of the game because the offense went 3 and out or scored on a quick long pass. If we can consistently run the ball which I think we can with the right personnel, we can cover for the defense a little and have a good chance to finish the season strong.

pinhead
Waterboy

Post by pinhead »

footballfan123 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:55 pm Fairland 30 - Portsmouth 21

If the right kids aren't in the right positions in this game for Portsmouth it will be worse ,he already couldn't beat a bad fairland team last year

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

pinhead wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:42 pm
footballfan123 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:55 pm Fairland 30 - Portsmouth 21

If the right kids aren't in the right positions in this game for Portsmouth it will be worse ,he already couldn't beat a bad fairland team last year
Fairland was good last year and brumfeld was a stud. They went to the final 16 teams in the playoffs. Once again a horrible plan to kick it to brumfeld so he can return it all the way back. I would just kick it out of bounds every time.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
Jonjon
Freshman Team

Post by Jonjon »

Fairland needs to get the ball in Leep’s hands. The games I’ve watched it’s clear good things happen when he touches the ball. He doesn’t get near enough touches in my opinion.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth is 9th and Fairland 8th in the latest Div 5 Region 19 playoff rankings. The winner of this game could secure a home game for Week 11, being in the top 8. For me, a home game is not as important as just making the playoffs. The Trojans traveled to Zane Trace last year for Week 11, and beat the Pioneers. So far, the Coliseum hasn't been a great home field advantage. PHS is 1-2 at home, beating Rock Hill while losing to Gallia Academy and Portsmouth West.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

trojandave wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:58 am Portsmouth is 9th and Fairland 8th in the latest Div 5 Region 19 playoff rankings. The winner of this game could secure a home game for Week 11, being in the top 8. For me, a home game is not as important as just making the playoffs. The Trojans traveled to Zane Trace last year for Week 11, and beat the Pioneers. So far, the Coliseum hasn't been a great home field advantage. PHS is 1-2 at home, beating Rock Hill while losing to Gallia Academy and Portsmouth West.
I actually feel like the Trojans play better on the road. Not just this year but in general. Maybe it’s because the away stands are smaller so everyone is bunched together. But I feel like on the road you can hear the crowd, they are energetic, give the boys some life, travel well. Compared to at home it’s so big it doesn’t get very loud, everyone is spaced out so it’s not as full, not a whole lot of energy. That said a home playoff game would be cool, hasn’t happened in forever, never at the Coliseum. Also sure does seem nice driving 10 minutes compared to possibly 2-2.5 hours. Either way I plan to attend home or away, all that matters is Portsmouth gets to play week 11.

Who Dey!
Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

PTrojan59 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:19 pm
trojandave wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:58 am Portsmouth is 9th and Fairland 8th in the latest Div 5 Region 19 playoff rankings. The winner of this game could secure a home game for Week 11, being in the top 8. For me, a home game is not as important as just making the playoffs. The Trojans traveled to Zane Trace last year for Week 11, and beat the Pioneers. So far, the Coliseum hasn't been a great home field advantage. PHS is 1-2 at home, beating Rock Hill while losing to Gallia Academy and Portsmouth West.
I actually feel like the Trojans play better on the road. Not just this year but in general. Maybe it’s because the away stands are smaller so everyone is bunched together. But I feel like on the road you can hear the crowd, they are energetic, give the boys some life, travel well. Compared to at home it’s so big it doesn’t get very loud, everyone is spaced out so it’s not as full, not a whole lot of energy. That said a home playoff game would be cool, hasn’t happened in forever, never at the Coliseum. Also sure does seem nice driving 10 minutes compared to possibly 2-2.5 hours. Either way I plan to attend home or away, all that matters is Portsmouth gets to play week 11.
The best was ridgewood. 164 miles for a playoff game. The place was awesome but we got hosed having to travel that far.
Last edited by Beergogglebluez on Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
82nd
Freshman Team

Post by 82nd »

reading from week one this should be a great game and entertaining

Pinwheel
JV Team

Post by Pinwheel »

Hopefully we see T man get the ball out of the backfield a little more

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

PTrojan59: I understand the travel part, having gone to watch PHS play at Middletown Madison. That took 4 hours just to get there, which made it an 8 hour trip altogether. Sometimes I wonder how these regions are aligned, because I feel no team should have to travel 4 hours for a playoff game. Of course it would be nice to have a home game, and I agree with you that it seems like the kids play better and are more focused on the road. Perhaps a home game brings distractions that could adversely affect the outcome. I seriously doubt, though, that anyone has a better hot dog than the one at the Coliseum. I'm really not much of a hot dog man, but the Coliseum dogs are the best around. The popcorn is good also, washing it down with a Mountain Dew.

Wherever they have to play, whether at home or road, if our defense shows up, I like our chances for a first round upset. Our offense has proven throughout the season that it can put points on the scoreboard. We have sort of a unique offense that gives opposing DC's trouble.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

This should be a great game, flip a coin, this one could go either way.

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

ohbuckeye2 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:00 pm This should be a great game, flip a coin, this one could go either way.
Agreed.

MeanJoeGreene
Riding the Bench

Post by MeanJoeGreene »

Huge game for Portsmouth. I truly feel they are the better team. Now, I thought the same way about Gallia. That loss could really loom large if Portsmouth stays out of the top 8. Regardless, I shouldn't look back.
I think the Trojans get the win here.

Barney
Waterboy

Post by Barney »

Should be a good game....turnovers will be the deciding factor!!!

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Well I don't think Fairland is near the team this year as they've trotted out the last couple years or so from a defensive standpoint especially. Fairland beat West in week 1 and wouldn't now and they've struggled against teams with a winning record. Portsmouth has been up and down all season but they've strung a couple nice games together let's roll with Portsmouth to take this one.

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

Fairland started out near midfield but goes three and out and is forced to punt. Portsmouth takes over between their own 25 and 30.

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

Portsmouth comes out feeding Hammond and he is picking up yards and first downs.

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

Portsmouth is running Truitt some in the red zone. Good to see both backs getting touches. Portsmouth facing an early 4th and short and going for it. Duncan tried a keeper and dropped the ball. Fairland takes over on their own 8.

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

Hammond with a pick 6. Portsmouth draws first blood. 7-0 with 3 to go in the 1st quarter.

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

Portsmouth really spreading the ball around on offense and using a good mix of run and pass. Hammond takes one into the end zone but Roth with a rare xp miss. Trojans up 13-0 with 11 to go in the 2nd quarter.

Return to “Football”