Waverly 14 - 49 Wheelersburg 2022

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Re: WK8 Waverly - Wheelersburg

Post by Sonny Weaver »

baller wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:38 pm
RBH23 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:46 am
smurray wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:29 am Waverly runs the ball well and can throw the ball with the young QB getting better every game.
Tiger D is better at stopping the run and struggle at stopping the pass, mainly the long ball. Must get pressure on QB. Bringing Q Hurd in at LB and moving Crabtree back to DE has been HUGE. Q with another massive hit last night - my nomination for the McDonalds Big Mac stick of the game...
Jones is getting better throwing the deep ball, but I would not say he’s good at it.

Sounds like this game will be strength against strength.
Not sure when waverly has been good at stopping the run. If you watch our d ends they line up to far in and shoot the gap zero containment. I know you always post the stats and there is no way a safety and a corner should ever have more tackles than dline or linebackers and other than Q they normally do.
queue up the Eric Lattimore Jet Sweeps

baller
Waterboy

Post by baller »

Sonny Weaver wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:41 pm

Jones is getting better throwing the deep ball, but I would not say he’s good at it.

Not sure when waverly has been good at stopping the run. If you watch our d ends they line up to far in and shoot the gap zero containment. I know you always post the stats and there is no way a safety and a corner should ever have more tackles than dline or linebackers and other than Q they normally do.
Waverly knows he is fast and they run them lets hope they spread there D ends out to stop it. We can not expect DB's to cover someone and then stop jet sweep because the D ends didn't do there job right.

Waverlyintheday
Waterboy

Post by Waverlyintheday »

baller wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:46 pm

Waverly knows he is fast and they run them lets hope they spread there D ends out to stop it. We can not expect DB's to cover someone and then stop jet sweep because the D ends didn't do there job right.
The d ends at Waverly will tell you the coaches tell them to scoot in and not to go wide. Every coach has his own reasons, I for one do not agree with it but have herd it from them over and over. Not the kids fault

baller
Waterboy

Post by baller »

Waverlyintheday wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:49 pm

The d ends at Waverly will tell you the coaches tell them to scoot in and not to go wide. Every coach has his own reasons, I for one do not agree with it but have herd it from them over and over. Not the kids fault
Cant believe everything a kid says as no way any coach who has ever coached football would tell there d ends that there to do that.
I would say you can ask 80 percent of the football moms out there and they even know the #1 job of a D end is to contain and force them back to the middle

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Scoot your dends and you’re going to get blasted by a guard pull. The dends don’t need to necessarily contain, but rather push the offensive blocker or hold ground so the outside lb can make the play.

baller
Waterboy

Post by baller »

wobycat wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:58 pm

Scoot your dends and you’re going to get blasted by a guard pull. The dends don’t need to necessarily contain, but rather push the offensive blocker or hold ground so the outside lb can make the play.
They run by them with this philosophy every week. Waverly D ends need to contain. Force them back in we have seen them get outside the d end all year and that is why we give up so many rushing yards. While Q will hit and hit hard he isn't chasing anyone down and 5 always runs into the line and gets tied up. I wish we would play corners up and a 5-3 and 1 safety the 3rd backer could be boundary even. We do this and force them to throw

Waverlyintheday
Waterboy

Post by Waverlyintheday »

baller wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:56 pm

Cant believe everything a kid says as no way any coach who has ever coached football would tell there d ends that there to do that.
I would say you can ask 80 percent of the football moms out there and they even know the #1 job of a D end is to contain and force them back to the middle
Sorry I have herd it to many times not to believe it. I do get what your saying because it does sound crazy.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

smurray wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:29 am Waverly runs the ball well and can throw the ball with the young QB getting better every game.
Tiger D is better at stopping the run and struggle at stopping the pass, mainly the long ball. Must get pressure on QB. Bringing Q Hurd in at LB and moving Crabtree back to DE has been HUGE. Q with another massive hit last night - my nomination for the McDonalds Big Mac stick of the game...

I was saying they are better at stopping the run then they are the pass…. They did make some changes moving Crabtree back to DE and Q Hurd full time LB - where they should have been day 1. That helps the run D and gets more pressure on the QB in passing situations.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Hoping for a good game and injury free for both squads.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
baller
Waterboy

Post by baller »

smurray wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:39 pm

I was saying they are better at stopping the run then they are the pass…. They did make some changes moving Crabtree back to DE and Q Hurd full time LB - where they should have been day 1. That helps the run D and gets more pressure on the QB in passing situations.
Gotcha I must of misunderstood that one and I agree they needed to make that switch back. Now Wyatt and Ledgend need to contain for once.

cm57smits
Waterboy

Post by cm57smits »

Any stream for this game?

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

In their base 3-5, the down-lineman are not D ends and do not have contain responsibilities. Whether you like that or not is a different story and discussion. They are supposed to get penetration and occupy.

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

oldschoolqb13 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:33 pm In their base 3-5, the down-lineman are not D ends and do not have contain responsibilities. Whether you like that or not is a different story and discussion. They are supposed to get penetration and occupy.
unless you are in a 50 front DE rarely has contain responsibilities not sure why everyone thinks different

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

Blitz wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:35 pm
oldschoolqb13 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:33 pm In their base 3-5, the down-lineman are not D ends and do not have contain responsibilities. Whether you like that or not is a different story and discussion. They are supposed to get penetration and occupy.
unless you are in a 50 front DE rarely has contain responsibilities not sure why everyone thinks different
Exactly Blitz

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

yeah as I was reading this I was wondering if Waverly was back in a 50 front. didn't make sense to me. IF your DE in a 30 front has a lot of tackles then he is a Stud. Burg has two of them

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

This is correct as the OLB technically would have the contain, however when I watched Waverly against Chillicothe they were running a 4 man front. Looked like they were running more of a 4-2-5 look, there was no base 3-5 look so not sure where that's coming from. If you're going to run a 3-5, which they didn't, you best have 3 badass DL who can occupy blockers so the LBs can make plays.

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

I've never seen Waverly not be in a base 4-4 since Crabtree has been there, always been a forty front. Typically Burg will run single back formations vs them, spread those OLBs out and run between the tackles with the RB or the QB, Jones had a big game on the ground last year. When does go with a 2 back set, look for a lot of misdirection, motion and a lot of jets to Lattimore

baller
Waterboy

Post by baller »

Waverly runs 4-3 and on run heavy teams like Burg this week they will play 5 man front never seen them in 3 man front. Burg runs a lot of jet sweeps and we need to contain that and force them back in

bengals05
Riding the Bench

Post by bengals05 »

Oldtimer55 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:23 pm A lot of chatter about Burg’a passing game…….. Ed Miller and Larry Hall coached nearly 30 years between them and rarely had a QB throw for a 1000 yard season! Full house backfield come get some!
Clinton Massie just won D IV state championship without completing any passes.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Blitz wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:35 pm
Yeah that’s not true either, you think rarely outside a 50 front does the DE have contain? Oh my, been apart of several teams from a 3-5 where the OLB is basically your contain but that defense is terrible against a rush outside unless you have strong DEs. To a 4-4 and 4-3 on each case the DE is the contain man unless there’s stunts or a out LB blitz who then takes over containment. Even if you don’t want to call it “contain” it’s outside leverage by the DE

Return to “Football”