Waverly 14 - 49 Wheelersburg 2022

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Re: WK8 Waverly - Wheelersburg

Post by Tigernation2021 »

Sonny Weaver wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:23 pm
Tigernation2021 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:20 pm
Waverlyintheday wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:37 am

It is not the kids on the fields fault the coaches called a conservative game to start the west game. It is our fault we can not stop the pass on big plays. You would think they would work hard on this in practice and teach them more basics. How to hit low and How to keep WR in front of you and how to read the ball etc. Got to quit going against JV kids and more 1 on 1 starter vs starter. Maybe they have started getting back to that now. The JC game when in red zone was some of the dumbest play calling in the red zone I have ever seen. We have got to do better and believe we have got better. Jake is a young coach and is still learning too. I believe he is getting better each week as well. Tanner even though it was garbage INT's it was still INT try him in place of 13 or put 10 at corner and Tanner at safety.
Waverly is a good team and will be in this game I believe if we quit thinking there is something special about burg. Just line up and play football the only difference between us and them is they think they can win every game. They don't think anyone is on another level. Got to respect them for that.
The Wrs getting deep is a result if you watch of guys getting caught looking in the backfield or a mix up in coverage, Waverly runs a different style of defense in the backend that takes time to learn. I know some kids who start not going to give numbers do work on defense against the 1-1s but you are correct not everyone does that. Oh, I love the fight these guys have, you think about each game we've gotten behind and they drag themselves back into the game. The schedule we've played has more than prepared us for conference play and beyond.
Waverly won't have to worry about the passing game this week :oops:
I'm more worried about the running game honestly then any passing game, can Burg pass absolutely I don't buy for a second they can't throw it some. However, before the Valley game our run defense was giving up close to 300 a game on the ground. I know that sounds strange because no one mentions that they want to talk about the pass coverage, our success or failure on defense will come from our ability to stop or slow down the run friday night.

Waverlyintheday
Waterboy

Post by Waverlyintheday »

Waverlyintheday wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:37 am

It is not the kids on the fields fault the coaches called a conservative game to start the west game. It is our fault we can not stop the pass on big plays. You would think they would work hard on this in practice and teach them more basics. How to hit low and How to keep WR in front of you and how to read the ball etc. Got to quit going against JV kids and more 1 on 1 starter vs starter. Maybe they have started getting back to that now. The JC game when in red zone was some of the dumbest play calling in the red zone I have ever seen. We have got to do better and believe we have got better. Jake is a young coach and is still learning too. I believe he is getting better each week as well. Tanner even though it was garbage INT's it was still INT try him in place of 13 or put 10 at corner and Tanner at safety.
Waverly is a good team and will be in this game I believe if we quit thinking there is something special about burg. Just line up and play football the only difference between us and them is they think they can win every game. They don't think anyone is on another level. Got to respect them for that.
The Wrs getting deep is a result if you watch of guys getting caught looking in the backfield or a mix up in coverage, Waverly runs a different style of defense in the backend that takes time to learn. I know some kids who start not going to give numbers do work on defense against the 1-1s but you are correct not everyone does that. Oh, I love the fight these guys have, you think about each game we've gotten behind and they drag themselves back into the game. The schedule we've played has more than prepared us for conference play and beyond.
I agree the d is hard for some to learn and moving all around doesn't help but they will get it
as for not worrying about passing game what does that mean?

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Waverlyintheday wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:37 pm

I agree the d is hard for some to learn and moving all around doesn't help but they will get it
as for not worrying about passing game what does that mean?
I think he means Burg wont need it. He probably feels burg can run it at will. Burg's run is very hard to stop, but it's the key to stopping them.

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

I mean Burg has no passing attack and Waverly will not need to worry about that aspect of the game Friday. lol

Waverlyintheday
Waterboy

Post by Waverlyintheday »

Sonny Weaver wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:45 pm I mean Burg has no passing attack and Waverly will not need to worry about that aspect of the game Friday. lol
Thanks as I thought maybe something with Waverly QB

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Sonny Weaver wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:45 pm I mean Burg has no passing attack and Waverly will not need to worry about that aspect of the game Friday. lol
They are getting better. Burgs QB has had two solid games in a row. Nothing fancy but sufficient.

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

wobycat wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:13 pm
They are getting better. Burgs QB has had two solid games in a row. Nothing fancy but sufficient.
to be fair, the opponents those games were against are no where near the level of talent or skill that Burg will see in an extended playoff run, when the passing attack will be most critical.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Sonny Weaver wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:17 pm
to be fair, the opponents those games were against are no where near the level of talent or skill that Burg will see in an extended playoff run, when the passing attack will be most critical.
I agree but the passes were on target something he struggled with earlier.

baller
Waterboy

Post by baller »

I am not a burg guy but all I've herd is negative things about your QB and anytime he tries to throw it if it's not perfect all they do is yell at him. I could not imagine him ever getting better with that much pressure. Should of let him go early and if he throws a pick so be it. Way to worried about regular season record instead of getting him ready for playoffs. Imagine how good he'd be by now if you supported the young man.

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

wobycat wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:22 pm
Sonny Weaver wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:17 pm

I agree but the passes were on target something he struggled with earlier.
no you're right, his accuracy has improved.

But when we've made deep runs in recent history its with a QB who can sling it a la May, Miller and Salyers. Just don't think we get out of the region, definitely not past state semi's, with the passing game we currently have.

Bobbbbbb
Freshman Team

Post by Bobbbbbb »

baller wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:29 pm I am not a burg guy but all I've herd is negative things about your QB and anytime he tries to throw it if it's not perfect all they do is yell at him. I could not imagine him ever getting better with that much pressure. Should of let him go early and if he throws a pick so be it. Way to worried about regular season record instead of getting him ready for playoffs. Imagine how good he'd be by now if you supported the young man.
I agree with baller…100%

Oldtimer55
Riding the Bench

Post by Oldtimer55 »

A lot of chatter about Burg’a passing game…….. Ed Miller and Larry Hall coached nearly 30 years between them and rarely had a QB throw for a 1000 yard season! Full house backfield come get some!

mustard
JV Team

Post by mustard »

Oldtimer55 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:23 pm A lot of chatter about Burg’a passing game…….. Ed Miller and Larry Hall coached nearly 30 years between them and rarely had a QB throw for a 1000 yard season! Full house backfield come get some!
No one in the 5-2 anymore boss! Got to pass. Burg fans know they need to.

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

Oldtimer55 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:23 pm A lot of chatter about Burg’a passing game…….. Ed Miller and Larry Hall coached nearly 30 years between them and rarely had a QB throw for a 1000 yard season! Full house backfield come get some!

That was also when gas was 3 nickels, simper times

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
THEEE_GAME
Varsity

Post by THEEE_GAME »

Ok, boomer.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

I agree with these guys. I think you can run and win but you have to be able to pass consistently. Burg' QB is improving in that area and I feel the coaches are going to give him more attempts.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

If you hunker down and just pound the rock and are good at it, you can win a lot of games. But like others said, you do need to occasionally be able to hit a pass here and there, more specifically when you reach a certain level of competition in the playoffs. And from what I’ve seen of Burg, I think they are decent enough in the pass that they could hurt Waverly with it if they are able to connect.

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

:lol:

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:18 pm Does Waverly do a live stream?
Boxcast.tv does the live-streaming but I have also seen it on Waverlys YouTube site streamed as well. Seen the post today saying boxcast.tv I think it’d like $10 to watch through it.

baller
Waterboy

Post by baller »

RBH23 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:46 am
smurray wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:29 am Waverly runs the ball well and can throw the ball with the young QB getting better every game.
Tiger D is better at stopping the run and struggle at stopping the pass, mainly the long ball. Must get pressure on QB. Bringing Q Hurd in at LB and moving Crabtree back to DE has been HUGE. Q with another massive hit last night - my nomination for the McDonalds Big Mac stick of the game...
Jones is getting better throwing the deep ball, but I would not say he’s good at it.

Sounds like this game will be strength against strength.
Not sure when waverly has been good at stopping the run. If you watch our d ends they line up to far in and shoot the gap zero containment. I know you always post the stats and there is no way a safety and a corner should ever have more tackles than dline or linebackers and other than Q they normally do.

Return to “Football”