Rock Hill
Portsmouth
Fairland
Gallia??

bbjunky81
SEO

Re: OVC and SOC Merger

Post by bbjunky81 »

I understand these topics are more for fun/hope but I can say with full certainty that any league movement will not involve Wheelersburg leaving the SOC. I'm friends with some of the admin there and they are very happy and comfortable in the league with zero incentive to leave.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:42 pm I understand these topics are more for fun/hope but I can say with full certainty that any league movement will not involve Wheelersburg leaving the SOC. I'm friends with some of the admin there and they are very happy and comfortable in the league with zero incentive to leave.
That's because they are smart enough to look outside of the football field, unlike others. Yes football is king, and the emotional drive of many middle aged men trying to relive the glory days, but in the scope of all that a public school encapsulates both academically and athletically, it's one sport of many, not including educational and non-athletic competitions. Yes, Burg is a thorn to SOC foes when it comes to football, and now maybe girls softball, but all other competitions are very competitive throughout the conference. Why in the world would they want to leave just because they are successful in one or two sports.

callie15
Varsity

Post by callie15 »

Throw Ironton out completely let them find 9 schools to play. No one wants the Tri State Fighting tigers on there schedule.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

wobycat wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:54 pm
bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:42 pm I understand these topics are more for fun/hope but I can say with full certainty that any league movement will not involve Wheelersburg leaving the SOC. I'm friends with some of the admin there and they are very happy and comfortable in the league with zero incentive to leave.
That's because they are smart enough to look outside of the football field, unlike others. Yes football is king, and the emotional drive of many middle aged men trying to relive the glory days, but in the scope of all that a public school encapsulates both academically and athletically, it's one sport of many, not including educational and non-athletic competitions. Yes, Burg is a thorn to SOC foes when it comes to football, and now maybe girls softball, but all other competitions are very competitive throughout the conference. Why in the world would they want to leave just because they are successful in one or two sports.
I agree with all.

The extreme majority of schools in the SOC are thankful for Burg for two reasons a.) Their fans travel well so you always get a good gate and b.) It makes their program better to play teams like Wheelersburg.

Wheelersburg is comfortable in their league as is the majority of teams. A merger of the OVC/SOC makes sense in SOME ways, but all in all I just think there's entirely too many logistics to iron out before we see it anytime soon.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Teams are going to have to deal with it. Open enrollment started this and promotion and social media made it blow up. Ironton is very beatable in baseball, basketball. Ovc is very fun during basketball season.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
RollCoal
JV Team

Post by RollCoal »

I don’t see any merger anytime soon. The OVC nor the SOC wants Ironton. At least for football anyway.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and excepting a different result;
Albert Einstein
Vegeta
Riding the Bench

Post by Vegeta »

I think all the area leagues should look at some sort of realignment based on a combination of school size, geography, and competitive balance. How about 3 conferences, 3 divisions each, and 15 teams per conference? Basically all of the schools in that particular geographic region are under the same banner making crossover games plentiful and easy. No one school is forced to play another outside of their division. All crossover games would be voluntary. Lawrence, Scioto, and Gallia counties making up the majority of the OVC. Washington, Athens, Meigs, and Vinton counties in the TVC. Finally the SVC covering the Pike, Ross, Highland, and Fayette counties area. Jackson county schools would be split between the three due to the central location. Of course not everyone would be happy with this set-up, but I do think it is fair and makes sense.

OVC
Gallia Academy
Ironton
Portsmouth
Fairland
South Point

Wheelersburg
Portsmouth West
Minford
Valley
Northwest

River Valley
Oak Hill
Chesapeake
Rock Hill
Dawson-Bryant

TVC
Warren
Athens
Vinton County
Meigs
Wellston

Alexander
Belpre
Fort Frye
Nelsonville-York
Trimble

Waterford
Miller
Federal Hocking
Southern
Eastern

SVC
Chillicothe
Jackson
Hillsboro
Washington
Miami Trace

Waverly
Unioto
McClain
Zane Trace
Westfall

Adena
Huntington
Paint Valley
Southeastern
Piketon

The SOC would remain home to the small schools and schools without a football program of Lawrence, Scioto, Pike, and Gallia counties.

SOC
Symmes Valley
South Gallia
Green
South Webster
Glenwood

Clay
Eastern
Western
Notre Dame
Sciotoville Community

Thoughts....................

BudLytle
Riding the Bench

Post by BudLytle »

From and SVC perspective, why would the SVC want to change anything? Very competitive year in and year out. Very comfortable travel distances, even for weeknight games. Most schools draw goods crowds for most activities so gates are allows relatively good. Seems like you all are trying to include the SVC in some realignment so that you can get what we already have. Not saying that we are always competitive in football playoffs, as, IMO, football is definitely the weakest of SVC sports, but outside of the big 3 or 4 in SEO who is deep playoff good year in and year out. Maybe just leave the SVC out and you all do what you got to do to make it work for you... Again, just my opinion!

Seopnation
Freshman Team

Post by Seopnation »

The SVC is a D3 and D4 conference. It would be beneficial for the lone D2 school to jump to a primary D2 conference (FAC). The replacement for the SVC could be a team like Minford who is similar in size and competitiveness in each sport, girls and boys. Its 75 minutes from Westfall to Minford. Could also look at Eastern Pike, they already play several SVC schools in football and have shown competitiveness in years past in all sports as well as bringing a nice gate.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

BudLytle wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:00 am From and SVC perspective, why would the SVC want to change anything? Very competitive year in and year out. Very comfortable travel distances, even for weeknight games. Most schools draw goods crowds for most activities so gates are allows relatively good. Seems like you all are trying to include the SVC in some realignment so that you can get what we already have. Not saying that we are always competitive in football playoffs, as, IMO, football is definitely the weakest of SVC sports, but outside of the big 3 or 4 in SEO who is deep playoff good year in and year out. Maybe just leave the SVC out and you all do what you got to do to make it work for you... Again, just my opinion!
Yeah I think the SVC is about right, there's no real team that's going to make noise in the postseason anyway and with them taking 16 now the SVC doesn't need to worry about only having 3 non-conference games like before in order to make the playoffs. Now I will say things could be changed to improve it but they're not going to do that, Westfall is so far out compared to the rest of the SVC they really need to find something much more local.

BigBoneJerome
Freshman Team

Re: Is ovc expanding?

Post by BigBoneJerome »

Green should move up and try it. Think of the gate and they still can make the playoffs with 3 wins

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

BigBoneJerome wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:59 pm Green should move up and try it. Think of the gate and they still can make the playoffs with 3 wins
:lol: :lol:

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

BigBoneJerome wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:59 pm Green should move up and try it. Think of the gate and they still can make the playoffs with 3 wins
if they could retain some kids who move out of the district this is possible. They've got a real HC now, and they've always had talent for D7 just never have the numbers. That stadium is absolutely beautiful, new schools next year, hopefully that'll help keep some kids in district. Lotta good people in the Furnace, happy for them.

BigBoneJerome
Freshman Team

Post by BigBoneJerome »

OVC1
Spring Valley
Jackson
Cabell midland
Huntington high
Ironton
Ashland
Portsmouth
Russell

OVC2
South point
Coal grove
Fairland
Rock hill
Chesapeake
Green
Oak hill
Northwest

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

People need to stop looking at Enrollment and start looking at Competitive Balance, No not the CB from OHSAA. Anyone can look at the last 10 years and figure out that certain teams should not be playing certain teams!

BigBoneJerome
Freshman Team

Post by BigBoneJerome »

OVC Big
Ironton
Gallia
Portsmouth
Fairland
South point
Northwest (new)

OVC small
Chesapeake
Oak hill (new)
Coal grove
Rock hill
Symmes (new)
Green (new)

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

BigBoneJerome wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:34 am OVC Big
Ironton
Gallia
Portsmouth
Fairland
South point
Northwest (new)

OVC small
Chesapeake
Oak hill (new)
Coal grove
Rock hill
Symmes (new)
Green (new)
Once again, look at Competitive Balance. NO WAY Northwest would agree or should agree to play in OVC Big. that is laughable! Put Wheelersburg in that spot and then drop NW to small you might be on to something.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

I laugh at seeing people put Portsmouth with Jackson, burg, spring valley and cabell midland lol. Trojans have improved The past few years but not on those levels like the Trojans of old.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:20 am I laugh at seeing people put Portsmouth with Jackson, burg, spring valley and cabell midland lol. Trojans have improved The past few years but not on those levels like the Trojans of old.
They almost beat spring valley lol

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott

Return to “Football”