Portsmouth West 14 - 7 Wheelersburg 2022 SOC Championship

iplayfootball
Waterboy

Portsmouth West 14 - 7 Wheelersburg 2022 SOC Championship

Post by iplayfootball »

What are your thoughts? Burg can't stop West pass, West can't stop burgs run. Could lead up to be the best game in SEO this year. Thoughts?

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Re: Forget Week 9 for the soc . West vs Wheelersburg for the gold ball

Post by Sonny Weaver »

Burg by 21

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

iplayfootball wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:25 pm What are your thoughts? Burg can't stop West pass, West can't stop burgs run. Could lead up to be the best game in SEO this year. Thoughts?
I've seen both play who says Burg can't stop West pass and West can't stop burgs run. I think West can slow down Burgs run but West isn't very good at all at stopping the pass. Burg's defense is solid all the way across the board and that should be a good chess match between the 2 teams but after seeing the 2 I'd say Burg by 10.
Last edited by Tigernation2021 on Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

Gallia may have some advice for not looking ahead and taking everyone on the schedule seriously...

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

Just depends on what West team will show up. IMO we have only played one game with some fire,moxy, and attitude. That was against Portsmouth. Which turns out, they demolished a pretty good Portsmouth team that night. Weak schedule, and some sub par play the last 3 weeks have left a little people skeptical, and that is somewhat deserved. If you can't get fired up to play your rival, week 10 for an SOC championship, at your place, and to secure a top 4 seed in the playoffs, you either don't have a pulse or shouldn't be playing football.

For maybe the first time ever, Burg is going to have to be just as concerned with the passing game against us. Historically West Is very run heavy. This is not the case now with a very seasoned and impressive Mitchell Irwin at the helm. With atleast two very good receivers. Although Burg will be the best team by far we have faced, I think we can limit the big plays on the ground. If they start throwing successfully, that is where the problems will rise. The intangibles is what worries me. Special teams scare me to death. And the depth is a huge advantage in favor of the pirates.

To the people that are just basing things off of comparing Waverly and Minford scores, I hope everyone buys into it. This is a more than capable team, just have to go do it. Very important game to dictate the direction of the new program. Beautiful stadium,facilities, and assets. Just have to bring championship caliber attitude back to the West Side. Its long over due. Some of these kids didn't grow up with the same winning culture and attitude, as teams of the past have. I just hope they can bring it back.

We do still have to play Oak Hill, and I don't agree with looking over anyone. You still have to play the games. Hope and pray for no injuries, and Go Siders.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

You should not compare scores against common opponents it means nothing in a sense and it's really all about match-ups and if people think that Burg can't defend the pass they are very wrong Burgs defense is very solid all around and it will be the best defense that West has faced and on the other hand I think that Burg has already faced teams with a better running game but we will see because it's all about match-ups I see Burg being a favorite in this game and should be a dandy!! Go Burg

Burg grad 85
Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

Burg by 35

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

Rolltanks wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:05 pmBurg by 35
I am all over -35.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

SiderBlood wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:16 pm
I am all over -35.
WOOO, I want in on that.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Haven’t seen west play. But I think it’s early for both teams to talk about this one. I’ll wait until it’s time then I’ll throw my two cents in.

MrPerfect
Freshman Team

Post by MrPerfect »

LoL 35.. that’s crazy! This will be a good game that will come down to coaching and adjustments. That being said Burg wins this one.

WWE HALL OF FAME
d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

Burg 15 West 13

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

Every year this game gets touted to be such a dandy and the burg straight up demolishes West, every single time. I don’t expect anything different, Burg by 20

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

Jeaux Burreaux wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:34 am Every year this game gets touted to be such a dandy and the burg straight up demolishes West, every single time. I don’t expect anything different, Burg by 20
smart guy :geek:

MrPerfect
Freshman Team

Post by MrPerfect »

Jeaux Burreaux wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:34 am Every year this game gets touted to be such a dandy and the burg straight up demolishes West, every single time. I don’t expect anything different, Burg by 20
I do see your point, Week 10 hasn’t been good at all the last 10 years West. Why do you think this is?

WWE HALL OF FAME
Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

MrPerfect wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:50 am
I see your point. Why do you think this is?
This series as of late has been dominated by Burg,
2021 38-0 Burg, then a week later 23-14 Burg
2020* Burg did not win the SOC, 47-13 Burg
2019 41-7 Burg
2018 28-7 Burg, then a week later Burg 52-7
2017 41-7 Burg, West 9-0 going into that match up.

2021 being the only only close game and it was the playoff game. I could be completely wrong and West wins but going off recent matchups it hasn’t

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Jeaux Burreaux wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:08 am
2019 41-7 Burg

2021 being the only only close game and it was the playoff game. I could be completely wrong and West wins but going off recent matchups it hasn’t
Last year was a great playoff battle but I took a peak for this year, and my early prediction is another lopsided victory for the pirates. The one thing that I think West has to worry about in this game is special teams and depth. Burg should have favored field position all night. Also this will be West's toughest game as of yet so the starters will have to battle the entire game. Burg doesn't have too many two way players, if they do go both ways, they get rest with backups. If Burg makes a few mistakes and allows West to get a couple of easier scores, then it could get close. But if Burg plays mistake free, they should pull away in 3rd.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Burg will win fairly easy. Pirates at playoff time are a different animal

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

wobycat wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:25 am

2019 41-7 Burg

Last year was a great playoff battle but I took a peak for this year, and my early prediction is another lopsided victory for the pirates. The one thing that I think West has to worry about in this game is special teams and depth. Burg should have favored field position all night. Also this will be West's toughest game as of yet so the starters will have to battle the entire game. Burg doesn't have too many two way players, if they do go both ways, they get rest with backups. If Burg makes a few mistakes and allows West to get a couple of easier scores, then it could get close. But if Burg plays mistake free, they should pull away in 3rd.
This is a game that Burg is accustom to and it’s what defines their program. Teams thinking they have it together just to get beaten by the team that has been the gold standard. Look at Waverly just last year, retained a lot of important players from the 2020 team and lost in 2021 when they were more than capable of winning. I see the same with West, more than capable of winning it’s just a matter of putting it together for 4 quarters

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

Jeaux Burreaux wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:40 pm
wobycat wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:25 am

2019 41-7 Burg

This is a game that Burg is accustom to and it’s what defines their program. Teams thinking they have it together just to get beaten by the team that has been the gold standard. Look at Waverly just last year, retained a lot of important players from the 2020 team and lost in 2021 when they were more than capable of winning. I see the same with West, more than capable of winning it’s just a matter of putting it together for 4 quarters
Well you beat me to the point about Waverly. We have beat Burg the same amount of times since 2010, so it's not like anyone else in the SOC has really been up to that level. Their is no question they are the gold standard of football in this area. I also never said we would beat them.

11 on 11 we have just as good, if not better players. They can reach on the bench and get better than we can though. They are very well coached, know how to win and expect to win. Special teams and fresh legs could very well be where the game gets decided, into the 4th. West will only win if we have 0 turnovers, limit the penalties, play field position, and play efficient pass coverage.

To say West has no chance is stupid. They are a very talented group and we are proud of them. Everyone always says don't get mad at other programs for being good, try to make yours better. Well that's what we are doing. Whats scary is when you look at the talent we have lost to other schools, and then we turn around and beat those schools. Really head scratching when people say bad things about the program, leave for "greener grass" and then lose to us. Imagine if we had both the Hurds, Hart from ND, Sanderlin brothers etc.. We are 8-1, and going to be playing for an SOC championship at a beautiful stadium. Do you want us to tell the kids they have no shot? West has a proud football program. Had some very good ball players through the years. 2nd in SOC championships. Been to a state championship. All time winning percentage is above .600 which puts us in the top 10 percent of teams in Southeastern Ohio. Might not be Burg or Ironton, but it is a proud football town, and we want it to be at that level. It went through some hit or miss years. And alot of these kids didn't experience the winning attitude and expectations as they were growing up through the feeder system. We want to bring those expectations back to what it was in the past.

So yeah their has been some let downs in the past 10 years. But that doesn't mean they aren't capable. One thing this age does have, is success against Burg in years prior. I dont necessarily think beating them in middle school makes them better. But alot of teams are beat against Burg before they step on the field, because it says Burg. This group knows they can beat them.

I really do hate even talking about it with an Oak Hill team to beat before but it is what it is. I hope for a huge crowd and playoff environment. I'll be there cheering them on, got to believe you can win or it will never happen. Go Siders

Return to “Football”