Marietta football - What's the deal ?

loganlocos
SEOP

Re: Marietta football - What's the deal ?

Post by loganlocos »

Logan will playing Marietta this fall as a regular season game - instead of just a scrimmage - for the first time since 2010.

A lot has changed for both programs since that last matchup. But I'm excited to have the Tigers back on the schedule and would hope that its a game that can happen looking into the future.

Wildcatone
Riding the Bench

Post by Wildcatone »

TigerFan15 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:56 pm I think that’s the biggest question that many people have. Myself included in that thinking. But I think it makes sense to at least do the due diligence to help best answer that question. I don’t know of any other parcels of property either within or just outside the city limits that would be feasible for a project such as this. I support their efforts in trying to make that final determination but a view from afar just doesn’t appear to me to be a logistical fit to expect a full functioning stadium be built on that property.

I agree. Is there even ANY parcel of land in Marietta that is big enough and not in a flood zone ? I was thinking Oak Grove maybe but pretty sure that's a flood zone. Bad situation for sure.

TigerFan15
Riding the Bench

Post by TigerFan15 »

If there is a parcel big enough I personally don’t know where it’s located. The flood plain eliminates any real possibilities. In my opinion the Washington State Community College property wasn’t the answer either for a new K-12 facility. I asked the board several times “if this property is so appealing, then why has Washington State never used it for their own expansion?’ No response other than by Mark Duckworth but the voters spoke loud and clear on that option.

I strongly believe that all successful school districts MUST first improve their academic facilities with athletics and other extracurriculars coming next on the priority chain. As much as I would like to see us have a new athletic complex/stadium, my core values tell me that education MUST always be first.

We are now paying for the many decades of lack of foresight by both past boards and administrations in not having any real long term vision for the future of Marietta City Schools much less the football program. We can only hope our leadership team seeks out every possible option as an opportunity for improvement. Too much at stake in today’s world to do nothing.

Wildcatone
Riding the Bench

Post by Wildcatone »

They should have built a high school years ago on Harmar Hill where Fairview School is instead of in that ravine. There was more land by Fairview that they could have used that maybe would have been big enough for athletic facilities which eventually turned into apartments in the later 80's I think. They are paying for that lack of foresight for sure. There seem to be zero options now. It's a real shame.

FortheWin
Riding the Bench

Post by FortheWin »

I just saw a post in Facebook. They are trying to hire assistant coaches and potentially a coordinator of some sort.

TigerFan15
Riding the Bench

Post by TigerFan15 »

I’m guessing this post is intended just to get a couple of current volunteer coaches to be part of the paid staff.

TigerFan15
Riding the Bench

Post by TigerFan15 »

Marietta will not get better until our standards are raised with a higher level of accountability. A post was listed on one of the school’s social media sites saying “What a Fall” for this year’s football program. Directly underneath it lists the records for Varsity 2-8, JV 1-4-1, Middle School 1-6-1 for a grand total of 4-18-2. Not taking anything away from the players few being recognized as well as our performance in the classroom but celebrating records such as this just speaks to how we’ve yet to truly acknowledge that we need to improve on a grand scale.

Wildcatone
Riding the Bench

Post by Wildcatone »

Honestly I cannot think of a more challenging job in the state to try to build and build a winner. So many negatives currently.

TigerFan15
Riding the Bench

Post by TigerFan15 »

Unfortunately, the toughest job for a new coach is still within the confines of Washington County, the Belpre Golden Eagles. They only had 16 players 9 thru 12 and some of the freshmen had never played football before. Finished 0-9 and was outscored 469-16. Board and admin made the wrong hire and it depleted the program. No middle school football for two years I believe but think they fielded a team this year. I’m told they’ve finally moved on to hiring a new coach. Gotta hope they get it right this time for the kids sake.

marklduckworth
Freshman Team

Post by marklduckworth »

I have been following this thread over the past few weeks. It is correct and provides an overview of where we are. I could write a book on what I have seen and experienced in my 31 years of coaching, volunteering, running the wonderful alumni tournament, working on the hall of fame, 4 years of service on the BOE, working with the youth league, helping the best Booster club anywhere, etc.

I have stated many times that we are decades behind and I only want for our community what other communities in SE Ohio and WVa already have. Some view the hard truth as negative commentary and detrimental to progress. I view it as assessing where we are and how we compare to our piers.

I played in the COL , coached in the SEOAL and ECOL, and have been in 3 decades of meetings in the SE District off and on. The ECOL was a tremendous mistake, not only for football, but for everyone involved. We made ourselves an outsider in both our league and in the SE District.

During my time on the BOE we were able to move forward on 3 items with regard to athletics. We raised private dollars and renovated the armory gym that had sat dormant for 25 years. Despite some BOE opposition, we secured a 25 year lease with the city at a very small cost to give our programs a lifeline and somewhere to practice. We negotiated a deal with the college to share their first class tennis courts as we allowed ours to fall into unplayable condition. We also moved forward to get out of the ECOL and pursued membership in the big division of the TVC which would align our league and district affiliation, Marietta has since landed in the new Twin States league, while not perfect, it is far better than playing in an East District league when you are in the SE District.

The last piece was the hiring of Cody Venderlic as the AD, who has slowly taken on each project with energy and with a vision for long term success. He has studied the tremendous needs for facilities and has presented several options. Is there another school Marietta’s size in Ohio with over 100 years of athletics that does not own a football or baseball field? That in itself speaks to decades of neglect.

I am also alumni of Marietta College and I beam with pride as I have watched what Phil Roach (my old coach), Debbie Lazorik, and now Larry Hiser have done with their facilities. MC is the standard by which others are compared.

I could go on and on about our history, but it is important to look forward with our BOE, who is taking a step forward this week on some land that will help. Recognizing where we are and not being blind to reality is important as a plan is devised to correct this for the next generation. Doing nothing is not an option for me, even though I realize it is a very tough road ahead.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Every year I post track stats and the ECOL never has had Marietta or Warren listed among their seasonal stats during the year. There's usually someone that sends them to me. Always wonder why they never put those two team's stats with the others.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Wildcatone
Riding the Bench

Post by Wildcatone »

TigerFan15 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:37 pm Unfortunately, the toughest job for a new coach is still within the confines of Washington County, the Belpre Golden Eagles. They only had 16 players 9 thru 12 and some of the freshmen had never played football before. Finished 0-9 and was outscored 469-16. Board and admin made the wrong hire and it depleted the program. No middle school football for two years I believe but think they fielded a team this year. I’m told they’ve finally moved on to hiring a new coach. Gotta hope they get it right this time for the kids sake.
Thanks for pointing that out. I really haven't paid attention to Belpre scores for years. Been away from Southeastern Ohio for 23 years. I just looked at their scores this year and wow ! They were outscored 469 to 20 this season ! That's worse than the city league bottom feeders in Columbus. I thought Marietta was having troubles.......

marklduckworth
Freshman Team

Post by marklduckworth »

I had the honor of attending the funeral of Bill Bonar yesterday. Bill was a tremendous athlete who quarterbacked Tulane, played minor league baseball in the Pirates organization , served in the Navy, and was drafted by the Baltimore Colts. Bill arrived in Marietta in 1959 and was on the staff of the only undefeated team in history. He became the head coach in 1962 and is 2nd in all time wins behind only the legend Frank Sutton. (Who is also the all time leader in basketball and the Sutton gym is named after him)

Bill served 12 more years the AD through the glory years of the late 60’s and 70’s. He ran the clock at high school and MC games for over 30 years after retirement as he worked an additional 25 years at Peoples bank.

Speakers spoke about: character, class, work ethics, old school toughness, and taking pride in your work. He strived to put female sports on the map at Marietta and if you talked to the “early cioaches” like Barb Pape’ Lynn Laing, Linda Eddy, Sig Swaney, you would quickly hear about his resolve and class as he was a leader on Title 9. Simply put, Coach Bonar was a tremendous man who embodied everything you would want to teach in athletics. He coached players and he also coached the coaches and inspired them into service.

Coach Bonar was one of the last links to Frank Sutton and all the other people who established what Marietta was and he helped create and foster a culture of excellence.

Like many coaches and leaders, Coach Bonar was under appreciated during his time. He continued to serve and volunteer for as many years as he was on the payroll. What a tribute to his unending support, and what a tremendous example he was for all of us.

Someday when the people of Marietta finally decide to commit to facilities and construction projects, Coach Bonar will be smiling. He is a 4 time Hall of Fame man who will forever be remembered for his high character and high standards in everything he did. RIP Coach…..it was an incredible journey and a job well done!

marklduckworth
Freshman Team

Post by marklduckworth »

I would also like to add that I know coach Schob very well. His father was 1 year younger than me and was also the varsity coach at Marietta before moving on to Warren and now Fort Frye. Coach Jason Schob has helped countless young men and is absolutely the type of person you want your children to be influenced by. He helped both of my sons when others would not. What is seen by the public on Friday nights is only part of the picture. Athletics only exist in schools because we can teach things in athletics (and other extra circulars) that can not be taught in the classrooms.

This is where Coach Schob receives an A and in most cases an A plus. There are plenty of coaches everywhere that coach for the wrong reasons, and I can assure you that Coach Schob is not one of those.

He was dealt an extremely tough hand with regard to the ECOL football schedule that was also forced on him at grades 7-8. I watched many nights as Dover, New Philly, etc. had 40-50 kids get off the bus to play our 15-18 kids at the jr. high level. This is no way to establish a program of excellence.

Surrounding Coach Schob with a staff from grades 7-12 and a vibrant youth league is not an easy task. It takes many coaches, and volunteers to operate a football program and it takes large dollars to do it.

The wins and losses will quickly be forgotten, but his guidance of steering young men in the right direction will remain. I know Coach Schob and I know what he respects and stands for. I am proud of him for enduring a difficult situation and wish him all the best in the future.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

a couple of good reads

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

marklduckworth wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:46 am I would also like to add that I know coach Schob very well. His father was 1 year younger than me and was also the varsity coach at Marietta before moving on to Warren and now Fort Frye. Coach Jason Schob has helped countless young men and is absolutely the type of person you want your children to be influenced by. He helped both of my sons when others would not. What is seen by the public on Friday nights is only part of the picture. Athletics only exist in schools because we can teach things in athletics (and other extra circulars) that can not be taught in the classrooms.

This is where Coach Schob receives an A and in most cases an A plus. There are plenty of coaches everywhere that coach for the wrong reasons, and I can assure you that Coach Schob is not one of those.

He was dealt an extremely tough hand with regard to the ECOL football schedule that was also forced on him at grades 7-8. I watched many nights as Dover, New Philly, etc. had 40-50 kids get off the bus to play our 15-18 kids at the jr. high level. This is no way to establish a program of excellence.

Surrounding Coach Schob with a staff from grades 7-12 and a vibrant youth league is not an easy task. It takes many coaches, and volunteers to operate a football program and it takes large dollars to do it.

The wins and losses will quickly be forgotten, but his guidance of steering young men in the right direction will remain. I know Coach Schob and I know what he respects and stands for. I am proud of him for enduring a difficult situation and wish him all the best in the future.
As a complete outsider, I'll second your words about the Schobs.

I was fortunate enough to meet Andy and Jason through some work I did covering Logan HS. I followed a lot of Andy's coaching career - where I found him to be a tremendously smart offensive coach and instinctive playcaller. I always felt he did a nice job with the rosters he was given.

I watched Jason play at MHS. I've followed his coaching career from a far and seen a few of his teams as Logan has scrimmaged MHS the last few years.

It seams the struggles of the program are bigger than the head football coach, but again I'm an outsider. Just my two cents.

marklduckworth
Freshman Team

Post by marklduckworth »

As a final post on this topic, I wanted to offer a bit of history and give some props to the people trying very hard behind the scenes. I was thinking about the post from the gentleman in the 80's and began to think about all of those former teammates and former players who have moved away. There is no way they could know what has transpired.

Some history and facts:
We have played 120 seasons of Tiger football. Not many schools in Ohio can claim this.
Greg Kroft (longtime Booster) has a book entitled 74 year of Tiger football which details Coaches, records, stats, and other information from 1905-1978.

Here is what the Boosters have done: (They are simply the best)
Although they started in 1958, I wish to focus on the start date of the fall of 1987 when the BOE cuts all sports in Marietta City Schools. This continued until 2003. The incredible group of Boosters raised over 2 million dollars through Bingo and other fundraisers to fully fund Tiger Athletics when the school did not. I am aware of no other school where this has occurred. The sacrifices of time and energy were incredible and as I stated during the opening of this year's Hall of Fame banquet, I will never forget these people and what they did for the kids and programs.

With regard to football:
IN 1987 they raised 50 k in 35 days to salvage the football season.
IN 1991 -92 they allocated 277 k for a new track and lighting at Don Drumm stadium
In 1992 they purchased high tech video cameras for 15 k that the programs could use
IN 1998-99 they used 65 k to install bleachers and lights at Glendale field
This is in addition to the annual normal allocation for items the school could not purchase or team meals for the kids.

Fast forward to recent history and I can think of 3 volunteers who have gone above and beyond to help Coach Schob and the Tiger football program. These 3 are Mark Weihl who was a Tiger QB in the 80's who served on the youth league Board. He insured that it was possible to allow each youth the opportunity to play for free and to also attend Tiger football camp for free. He did the same for Tiger basketball and worked tirelessly to upgrade Glendale field, locker rooms, sanitation, new scoreboards, safety equipment, and many other things far too numerous to mention here. He did this for all the right reasons as he watched his Dad do it for him and his teammates many years ago. Jeff Smith and Joe Matthews II worked closely with Mark and have donated countless hours on weekends to both our youth league and MS programs. Like Mark, Jeff's parents were tremendous volunteers and he learned how to give back and help when he could. Joe continues with the youth league still today. I admire his commitment and there is no doubt his heart is in the right place. These 3 have committed personal finances and a great deal of time to help and we certainly do not say "THANK YOU" near enough.

Coach Schob needs more Mark's, Jeff's and Joe's to help with the program, starting with 3rd grade forward. Our new AD has adjusted the schedule, so it is far more conducive to success. It is my hope that parents in Marietta, in Ohio, and all across our great nation see football for what it is and all the great lessons you can learn by putting on the pads. I appreciate our leaders, our volunteers, our boosters, and everyone who sacrifices to make it better for our kids. It is easy to support a winner, and it is easy to support when you have a child participating, the 3 men I mentioned have supported during difficult times and I will not forget them.

TigerFan15
Riding the Bench

Post by TigerFan15 »

This too is my final post related to Marietta football. In no way were my posts meant to be disparaging towards our head coach or his staff in any way. Many of my posts spoke to my positive feelings about Jason Schob as a person. But upon reflection, I can see where some of my words could be hurtful not only to Coach Schob but to others as well. That was never my intention, in fact, it was simply a blunt view of things as I saw them. Too blunt. I need to be considerate of how those involved see them. I needed to consider that Coach Schob the person and Coach Schob the coach, is the same individual. An individual who cares deeply for his kids and his program. That’s on me and I own that.

Coach Schob’s biggest attribute as a coach comes in the game of life first, then football. Many programs in today’s world has coaches who care more about winning than they do for their players. Coach Schob is not that type of coach. Many kids, my son and family included, would not be where they are today without the undying support of Coach Schob. Both in the public view and from behind the scenes as well. That being said, my support of Tiger football and Jason Schob will always continue and be visible for others to see. He deserves it and the program deserves it.

marklduckworth
Freshman Team

Post by marklduckworth »

Although I said my last post would be the final one on this topic, I felt the need to provide an update on a previous post about a property purchase.

Our BOE took action on a 4 plus acre land purchase on property that is between Pioneer Park and Phillips school. It is under contract and will be completed soon. This is not a Home run, it is a Grand Slam. I pushed for this over and over again during my 4 years of service on the BOE. Unfortunately, my sense of urgency fell upon deaf ears. This was led by Cody Parman and Sam Tuten with the support of Eric Reed.

The property beside the school where the 2 softball fields are located was purchased by the Tiger Boosters, who also built the fields and donated them to the school. Before this, the girls had to play at Hadley field on city property.

It has taken over 2 decades, but the BOE finally joined the Boosters in a visionary project to add land and expand the site for development. Adding land that joins what is owned is extremely rare in Marietta. Putnam, Harmar, and Washington are land locked. The city owns the playground at Washington, not the school.

I am very pleased, as this purchase also provides a right of way that runs from Pike street to Phillips street. If you take an overhead look at the total property (once the new acres are finalized) we now have a building site. If you envision the lot with the school not there, it is impressive.

It will be interesting and exciting to see what the new plan will be. A pre K - 6 elementary all under 1 roof ? An athletic complex centrally located in town? Entrances off of Greene Street, Pike Street, Phillips street?

Kudos to the 3 BOE members who decided the status quo was unacceptable and have taken the preliminary step to organize a project that everyone can be proud of. I urge you to study what Williamstown has done, Warren, St. Mary’s, Marietta College, etc. Take your time and involve intelligent people who have a long term interest in our community. What is built will impact several generations and it will be your legacy.

Good luck and please keep pressing forward!

fielddaddy
JV Team

Post by fielddaddy »

Never understood Marietta football and why they wasn’t better.
They have the athletes they not a team that depends on kids from the country to play like Logan does.
Always thought they could be a powerhouse with the right coaching and support.

Return to “Football”