Marietta football - What's the deal ?

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Marietta football - What's the deal ?

Post by noreply66 »

When Marietta left the SEOAL wasn't most of the long trips already gone?

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
TigerFan15
Riding the Bench

Post by TigerFan15 »

The Tiger football program went through a series of head coaching changes which led to no continuity in the program. The staff from grades 7-12 has been a revolving door from 2005 - present.

Administration leadership made many mistakes, but none bigger than leaving the SEOAL ( 100 percent Southeast District schools) to join the ECOL (100 percent all East District schools)

The administration ignored over 100 years of District affiliation and made Marietta an outsider in their league (ECOL) and an outsider in their District. (Southeast)

The continuous running clock blowouts in football games drove more and more athletes away. The administration insisted on playing 7th and 8th grade ECOL games resulting in many more embarrassing losses and unnecessary injuries at that level.

The jr. high program is now down to one 7-8 grade team and Marietta has not had freshman football for many years.

The sad truth here is that the administrators that made these poor decisions for our kids and families are all gone and none of them were ever held accountable for the decisions they made that did irreparable damage to many families.

Hiring teachers who are qualified and who desire to coach football is a must. This has not happened by our administration or Board of Education in the past 2 decades.

We have to face the facts here. What would attract a dynamic young football coach to Marietta ? We have no stadium, no freshman team, only 1 jr. high team, a youth league that recently dissolved, a facility at Glendale with no locker rooms that is essentially the same as it was 50 years ago.

Where does change begin? Leadership on the BOE? The Superintendent? The High School principal who does not live in town? I hold out hope for a better future, but a long term commitment must be made. It takes great commitment and great leadership from many people to turn this around. Time will tell, but we only have 1 direction to go.

Wildcatone
Riding the Bench

Post by Wildcatone »

TigerFan15 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:33 pm The Tiger football program went through a series of head coaching changes which led to no continuity in the program. The staff from grades 7-12 has been a revolving door from 2005 - present.

Administration leadership made many mistakes, but none bigger than leaving the SEOAL ( 100 percent Southeast District schools) to join the ECOL (100 percent all East District schools)

The administration ignored over 100 years of District affiliation and made Marietta an outsider in their league (ECOL) and an outsider in their District. (Southeast)

The continuous running clock blowouts in football games drove more and more athletes away. The administration insisted on playing 7th and 8th grade ECOL games resulting in many more embarrassing losses and unnecessary injuries at that level.

The jr. high program is now down to one 7-8 grade team and Marietta has not had freshman football for many years.

The sad truth here is that the administrators that made these poor decisions for our kids and families are all gone and none of them were ever held accountable for the decisions they made that did irreparable damage to many families.

Hiring teachers who are qualified and who desire to coach football is a must. This has not happened by our administration or Board of Education in the past 2 decades.

We have to face the facts here. What would attract a dynamic young football coach to Marietta ? We have no stadium, no freshman team, only 1 jr. high team, a youth league that recently dissolved, a facility at Glendale with no locker rooms that is essentially the same as it was 50 years ago.

Where does change begin? Leadership on the BOE? The Superintendent? The High School principal who does not live in town? I hold out hope for a better future, but a long term commitment must be made. It takes great commitment and great leadership from many people to turn this around. Time will tell, but we only have 1 direction to go.
Excellent summary ! Who is going to demand that commitment though? Will some business members step up and demand it ? Will local leaders do it ? The people don't seem to care but I guess that's what decades of losing does. Will it EVER happen ? Marietta is a gossipy town and I'm not sure the administration would even grant a dynamic personality to do his own thing. It's a tough sell and a shame. 95 percent of programs TRY to improve but Marietta is in that 5 percent that does not. You are 100 percent correct regarding the youth football program, facilities, etc. Just a shame and maybe this should not be surprising considering the city is still using 100 year old schools and built their high school in a ravine. BTW, I graduated from MHS and its so sad to hear what is going on.

TigerFan15
Riding the Bench

Post by TigerFan15 »

Didn’t you say in prior posts that you were on the 83 team? I was a sophomore who also dressed varsity on Friday night’s for that team. So much has changed since that time. At times, it’s hard to know where to even start.

GrumpyPundit
Riding the Bench

Post by GrumpyPundit »

TigerFan15 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:33 pm The Tiger football program went through a series of head coaching changes which led to no continuity in the program. The staff from grades 7-12 has been a revolving door from 2005 - present.

Very well said!

Wildcatone
Riding the Bench

Post by Wildcatone »

TigerFan15 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:16 pm Didn’t you say in prior posts that you were on the 83 team? I was a sophomore who also dressed varsity on Friday night’s for that team. So much has changed since that time. At times, it’s hard to know where to even start.
Yes I was a senior on the 83 team. Not giving away a name for obvious reasons. I'm sure I would know you. I agree that so much has changed in the culture since then and obviously for the worse. It seems almost hopeless at Marietta. Horrible facilities with the exception of the stadium they play at which is very nice now but is not their own. I dont think Marietta even has enough land that isn't in a flood zone to even build a new high school or football stadium or other athletic facilities they need. Are the MHS baseball games still being played at the fairgrounds? The city has been incredibly short sighted for many years in neglecting their schools and facilities. Then you have a high school built into a ravine and the buildings they are using are 53 to 100 years old. Will that ever change ? No wonder the town is dying a slow death. Just a real shame.

TigerFan15
Riding the Bench

Post by TigerFan15 »

Spot on assessment. I could write a book on how we got here. I’d prefer to be writing a book on how we’re getting out of where we are today. I speak often publicly at our school board meetings with my comments not meant just for bringing about the problem, but also comes in with a suggestion or recommendation on what could be done, and how, to improve or remediate the problem at hand. The Marietta Times typically publishes my comments that were communicated during the public portion of the BOE meeting. Yes, it is a shame. But I’ve yet to throw in the towel. The need is simply too great.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Completely agree. Seen this too many times at really good schools and athletic programs and the hiring process and administration has no F’ing clue. Gotta start somewhere

DCS
Waterboy

Post by DCS »

I am an 82 grad. Back then the Administration, Principal, AD, School, and the city, all was in support of the for
Football Program!! Now nobody cares. And yes, the Head Coach needs to start at the youth level to build a program. I was told that this year, the 7th and 8th grade team only had 15 players. Sad!

TigerFan15
Riding the Bench

Post by TigerFan15 »

I served on the Marietta Youth League board (MYL) for four years and we made some great strides. Improvements to Glendale Field, new scoreboard at the field up top at the middle school, teams were outfitted with better equipment and new uniforms, funding was funneled upward to provide Tiger youth football camp at no cost to the families, additional funding was provided to help purchase new equipment for both the weight room at the high school and middle school. Among numerous other projects. Additionally, money raised through corporate sponsorships was put right back into the teams and players.

Now here we are five years later and the Marietta Youth Football League has dissolved. My father played for the Washington Trojans in the MYL in the mid 1940’s just to give some perspective as to how long our league had been in existence. Unfortunately, yes it’s true that the 7/8 grade team had to combine and started the year with roughly 16 players. Looking at ways to improve the program at the high school level is moot if we don’t regroup and refocus our energies on building a new system from the bottom floor up to the top. Just like Williamstown and Fort Frye have done in their respective powerhouses. Warren basketball has done the same thing. Ron Kidder has achieved the high level of youth participation in volleyball at Marietta that many of the other programs should best try to emulate. Their results tell a very compelling picture.

Pretty simple from where I sit, winning starts at the foundation of every program!

MttaFan
Freshman Team

Post by MttaFan »

This is exactly the answer. Football interest has to be built back up in the community at the youth level. Soccer is incredibly popular in town, and the facilities for youth soccer are just so-so. Youth baseball does well too and the their facilities have been improved greatly in the last few years by some fantastic volunteers. There is excitement and commitment towards those two sports, and it shows. We don't like to say it, but in a small town football and soccer compete in the fall for players of all ages, and right now in Marietta soccer is winning.

Until there is an emphasis by the administration and the high school football staff to build and grow a youth football program, the high school program, and the community interest in it, will continue to go downhill.

I know, it's hard to ask a high school football coach for $5000 stipend to coach AND build a youth program, but that's the only way Marietta will succeed. If there are only 16 or so kids in 7th-8th grade football now, how many will there be for the high school squad in a few years? That's the scary part.

Tomcat Queen
JV Team

Post by Tomcat Queen »

They aint much toughness left in that town if they be lettin soccer take over. At Trimble, they talk about soccer once in awhile. But some of them football dudes gets a hold of them lily livered soccer types by they throat and suddenly all that talk goes away.

Don’t hate us just because you ain’t us.
TigerFan15
Riding the Bench

Post by TigerFan15 »

I have not and would not say anything negative regarding the character of our head coach. That’s 100% not up for debate. I know how deeply he cares and spends countless hours with our kids. He also believes in having inclusion in the program by including kids with special needs and making them part of the program. I for one will forever be grateful to Jason Schob, the person, for doing just that.

But I understand the results simply haven’t been there. I can place much of that on the lack of support from the administration and prior athletic director on not providing the necessary resources to build a winning program. No quality guidance and leadership provided to the largest and most visible program at MHS. At one point, I even spoke at a board meeting regarding the lack of a quality hydration system used for practices in August as well as properly maintaining a football practice field. Superintendent and AD felt it was the head coach’s responsibility to take care of addressing the matter. I then asked “what’s next, is Coach going to have to cut the grass himself and also start driving the bus on Friday nights?’ It took me all of 15 minutes to gather donated funds to purchase a new hydration system for the football team. That’s just one example of the lack of leadership from the top at that time. Every program at Marietta was failed by that leadership who’s now gone.

That being said, I think it’s fair now to expect better results and hold people accountable for their performance. I think it’s fair now to expect putting a strong focus on youth football. The league affiliation has changed, the schedule is most definitely one that should have us winning games, the board is looking at spending millions for an upgraded facility for every day practice as well as other program enhancements. Now it’s time to really advance the ball down the field that begins to boost the program in the right direction.

MttaFan
Freshman Team

Post by MttaFan »

TigerFan15, I really respect your opinion, so is there hope of reviving the program at all, and with the current coach? Really great guy, but can he coach? 9 or so years and never a winning record? Is it time to seek new leadership? I just can't imagine him turning it around and drawing more students to play, but I respect your take. And no, I have no one in mind or have any idea if we can hire a better coach.

Also, with football interest almost gone in the middle school, youth football interest pretty much gone, is it wise to spend millions on football facilities when there are so many other needs? Should we see some sign of life in the program before committing funds to a program that may never come back? Just for thought.

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

noreply66 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:24 pm Always thought Logan and Marietta should play all sports
noreply, sounds like it is happening.

Marietta @ Logan week 7 next year

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

pioneer19 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:35 pm
noreply66 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:24 pm Always thought Logan and Marietta should play all sports

sounds good

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
thirtyonetrap
Varsity

Post by thirtyonetrap »

pioneer19 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:35 pm

This game needs to be played every year.

Hurting the feelings of the nadless wonders who are afraid to comment before the games.
TigerFan15
Riding the Bench

Post by TigerFan15 »

Marietta really doesn’t have a choice but to seek a new home for football as MC is pushing us to do just that. A new turf field and track behind the high school would benefit numerous programs, not just football. I have my own concerns as to whether we can fully execute a plan of this nature but I understand why the AD and board are looking at this as a possibility.

I’m told that roughly 40 kids or so played 3/4 football this fall which is a significant uptick in players learning the game. I’m told too that the coaches for this group are very knowledgeable on teaching the game from a fundamentals perspective.

The athletic director sent an email to each district employee seeking a few new assistant coaches for next season with one of the positions possibly being a coordinator position. I assume that if nobody within the district applies, they will seek external candidates to fill these positions. I view that as a very positive step by Coach Schob in looking to improve the program. I’m sure there are other additional enhancements that our coach is looking to make to help raise the bar for Tiger football.

I know our coach doesn’t like the results of this past season. I know our coach is all in on wanting to build a quality program. I know our coach will put in whatever hours are necessary bring about positive change. If that doesn’t produce results, then it becomes a must to take the final step necessary to facilitate change. I for one hope he accomplishes the task at hand. Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!

Wildcatone
Riding the Bench

Post by Wildcatone »

TigerFan15 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:58 pm Marietta really doesn’t have a choice but to seek a new home for football as MC is pushing us to do just that. A new turf field and track behind the high school would benefit numerous programs, not just football. I have my own concerns as to whether we can fully execute a plan of this nature but I understand why the AD and board are looking at this as a possibility.

I’m told that roughly 40 kids or so played 3/4 football this fall which is a significant uptick in players learning the game. I’m told too that the coaches for this group are very knowledgeable on teaching the game from a fundamentals perspective.

The athletic director sent an email to each district employee seeking a few new assistant coaches for next season with one of the positions possibly being a coordinator position. I assume that if nobody within the district applies, they will seek external candidates to fill these positions. I view that as a very positive step by Coach Schob in looking to improve the program. I’m sure there are other additional enhancements that our coach is looking to make to help raise the bar for Tiger football.

I know our coach doesn’t like the results of this past season. I know our coach is all in on wanting to build a quality program. I know our coach will put in whatever hours are necessary bring about positive change. If that doesn’t produce results, then it becomes a must to take the final step necessary to facilitate change. I for one hope he accomplishes the task at hand. Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!
Does the high school even have enough land to build a new stadium behind the gymnasium ? Also what about land for parking ? Unless they have purchased land since I was there, that will be tight.

TigerFan15
Riding the Bench

Post by TigerFan15 »

I think that’s the biggest question that many people have. Myself included in that thinking. But I think it makes sense to at least do the due diligence to help best answer that question. I don’t know of any other parcels of property either within or just outside the city limits that would be feasible for a project such as this. I support their efforts in trying to make that final determination but a view from afar just doesn’t appear to me to be a logistical fit to expect a full functioning stadium be built on that property.

Return to “Football”