Ironton out of OVC in 2024.

JTEK
All State

Re: Ironton voted out of OVC (RUMOR)

Post by JTEK »

HumbleAndHungry wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:02 am
greygoose wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:16 pm
HumbleAndHungry wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:15 pm

First I'll open up saying, the Junior and Senior class at Prep this year has done nothing but win going back to the Jr High teams that they played on TOGETHER at HP. Since 2018 HP Jr. High teams haven't lost a game. A year later in 2019 they had their first JV team and another Regional championship (Second in 4 years) with a CB of 26. 2020 is when all that changed when COVID hit and since Columbus City Schools only played maybe 5 or 6 games all eyes were on Prep (and a hand full of other teams in the Columbus area) and all of Columbus finally seen what Coach Smith had been building the past 5 or 6 years. HP went on a deep play off run yet once again and had a great shot at beating Ironton but ended up losing 21-14 in the State Semis. Combine that with HP winning a Basketball State Title the year before in 19, and HP was now being seen as the hottest and up and coming program in Columbus and that's when the transfers come into play. The guys that HP got were kids that weren't happy with the programs they were in and HP had been really successful at that point being Regional Champs twice in that 4 or 5 year span, once again with the CB at 26 in 2018 and 32 in 2019. And I get it many of you have no idea how Columbus football works and operates because the towns you all live in only have 1 team for the ENTIRE CITY. I don't want to bash Columbus City Schools but they are in bad shape, that's one of the reasons the teachers were on strike to begin the year. Not at every school but overall the education is bad, the buildings are old, and the athletic facilities terrible shape. The biggest things football related is the athletic facilities and fields are in awful shape and they don't have Jr. High football. With all that being said and factored in that's where you get the 26 CB in 2018 to the 81 now. I said it before and ill say it again winning programs don't have to recruit. Parents just wanted better for their kids and successful programs will always get family's that want to better their kids opportunities in education and in sports if they find themselves in a place where they are unhappy one way or another. Ill conclude with this, if you think private schools should be in a playoff bracket with other Private schools then ok I hear ya and that's a legit thing that other states do have in place and maybe OHSAA should look into. But to just continue with the narrative that certain programs are only good because they recruit or get transfers is a lazy take. If HP hadn't started winning anything until they had an 81 CB then you may be on to something and have a point, but Coach smith has been in the playoffs the last 9 years.............. way before pretty much everyone made the post season. Give credit where credit is due.
Nice write up and 100% agree on the Columbus school system as a whole and I'm sure coach smith has done a great job. However, let's not take away from the fact they do 100% recruit, it's no big deal they can and do whatever it is what it is but it's funny to hear someone say yeah we've got a 81 CB but that's just because all these kids wanted to come in. As one of the private school coaches pointed out to a few coaches in this area after they beat them things are just that much easier, "If I lose a guy I just look up the area stat leaders and go talk to the kid about coming and starting for us". Former assistant coach from Toledo Central Catholic same thing, if they're looking for a guy or in need of a position he would just go and hang out at schools and talk with players. I give credit to coach Smith because with the influx of players he gets from year to year he's able to hit the ground running when the year starts with no growing pains.
There aren’t any growing pains because like I said 85% of the team has been playing in the same system running the same plays on offense and defense since Jr. high 😂 but continue to think what you want to I hear what you’re saying about OTHER coaches but Coach Smith isn’t that…..
15% can make a huge impact :lol:

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

JTEK wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:03 am

Nice write up and 100% agree on the Columbus school system as a whole and I'm sure coach smith has done a great job. However, let's not take away from the fact they do 100% recruit, it's no big deal they can and do whatever it is what it is but it's funny to hear someone say yeah we've got a 81 CB but that's just because all these kids wanted to come in. As one of the private school coaches pointed out to a few coaches in this area after they beat them things are just that much easier, "If I lose a guy I just look up the area stat leaders and go talk to the kid about coming and starting for us". Former assistant coach from Toledo Central Catholic same thing, if they're looking for a guy or in need of a position he would just go and hang out at schools and talk with players. I give credit to coach Smith because with the influx of players he gets from year to year he's able to hit the ground running when the year starts with no growing pains.
There aren’t any growing pains because like I said 85% of the team has been playing in the same system running the same plays on offense and defense since Jr. high 😂 but continue to think what you want to I hear what you’re saying about OTHER coaches but Coach Smith isn’t that…..
Absolutely. Ironton may not even have 15%. And they are better with them.

HYGH
Waterboy

Post by HYGH »

My good buddy who is an OHSAA member said that you CANNOT vote teams out of a conference. The team can only leave or all the other teams could revolt.

footballboy92
Waterboy

Post by footballboy92 »

HYGH wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:24 am My good buddy who is an OHSAA member said that you CANNOT vote teams out of a conference. The team can only leave or all the other teams could revolt.
I also have a good buddy who said the same thing! I heard that a team cannot be voted out of a conference (OVC) they can only leave, he is also a OHSAA member...

Calvin
Freshman Team

Post by Calvin »

HYGH wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:24 am My good buddy who is an OHSAA member said that you CANNOT vote teams out of a conference. The team can only leave or all the other teams could revolt.
😂

Celebrating wins over the most hated.
formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

The position that the OHSAA takes on this is that they strongly advise against conferences kicking out schools, and if an ejected school pursues litigation toward the conference (and its membership) the OHSAA will not aid in the defense of the conference.

irontonwizard
Freshman Team

Post by irontonwizard »

The off-season will definitely be interesting, but right now we have a playoff game to play.

HumbleAndHungry
Freshman Team

Post by HumbleAndHungry »

See once again trying to paint a narrative and not pay attention to the context smh I said 85% HAVE PLAYED TOGETHER SINCE JR HIGH. That doesn't mean that ALL of the other 15% are all transfers. If a kid joins the team as a freshman then how can you also count them as a transfer? YOU CANT!!!! He's only part of the 15% because he didnt play with the 85% in Jr. High! At any rate Im done here. Good luck Friday!
Last edited by HumbleAndHungry on Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HumbleAndHungry
Freshman Team

wobycat wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:22 am

One more time for the people in the chaep seats...

See once again trying to paint a narrative and not pay attention to the context smh I said 85% HAVE PLAYED TOGETHER SINCE JR HIGH. That doesn't mean that ALL of the other 15% are all transfers. If a kid joins the team as a freshman then how can you also count them as a transfer? YOU CANT!!!! He's only part of the 15% because he didnt play with the 85% in Jr. High! At any rate Im done here. Good luck Friday!

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

HumbleAndHungry wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:57 pm

Ok. Simple question since you know the roster. How many players play on the team that didn't play for Harvest Prep last year? Did every starter or impact player on Preps team this year play last year, including incoming freshman?

HumbleAndHungry
Freshman Team

Last edited by HumbleAndHungry on Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HumbleAndHungry
Freshman Team

wobycat wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:09 pm
HumbleAndHungry wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:57 pm

Ok. Simple question since you know the roster. How many players play on the team that didn't play for Harvest Prep last year? Did every starter or impact player on Preps team this year play last year, including incoming freshman?
We got 1 starter (DE) and our 2nd or 3rd string HB/TE that didn't play at Prep last year. All the impact players, All league or All district players, including honorable mention besides 1 (that transferred in as a sophomore and now a senior) played Jr. High at Prep. Got two freshman that played both years at Prep that play alot and they are gonna be special. One is our starting DT (who actually played QB in Jr High lol ) and the other is a QB/WR/CB. Most of the other youngsters only get Kickoff And Kick return duty that's bout it.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

HumbleAndHungry wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:15 pm

First I'll open up saying, the Junior and Senior class at Prep this year has done nothing but win going back to the Jr High teams that they played on TOGETHER at HP. Since 2018 HP Jr. High teams haven't lost a game. A year later in 2019 they had their first JV team and another Regional championship (Second in 4 years) with a CB of 26. 2020 is when all that changed when COVID hit and since Columbus City Schools only played maybe 5 or 6 games all eyes were on Prep (and a hand full of other teams in the Columbus area) and all of Columbus finally seen what Coach Smith had been building the past 5 or 6 years. HP went on a deep play off run yet once again and had a great shot at beating Ironton but ended up losing 21-14 in the State Semis. Combine that with HP winning a Basketball State Title the year before in 19, and HP was now being seen as the hottest and up and coming program in Columbus and that's when the transfers come into play. The guys that HP got were kids that weren't happy with the programs they were in and HP had been really successful at that point being Regional Champs twice in that 4 or 5 year span, once again with the CB at 26 in 2018 and 32 in 2019. And I get it many of you have no idea how Columbus football works and operates because the towns you all live in only have 1 team for the ENTIRE CITY. I don't want to bash Columbus City Schools but they are in bad shape, that's one of the reasons the teachers were on strike to begin the year. Not at every school but overall the education is bad, the buildings are old, and the athletic facilities terrible shape. The biggest things football related is the athletic facilities and fields are in awful shape and they don't have Jr. High football. With all that being said and factored in that's where you get the 26 CB in 2018 to the 81 now. I said it before and ill say it again winning programs don't have to recruit. Parents just wanted better for their kids and successful programs will always get family's that want to better their kids opportunities in education and in sports if they find themselves in a place where they are unhappy one way or another. Ill conclude with this, if you think private schools should be in a playoff bracket with other Private schools then ok I hear ya and that's a legit thing that other states do have in place and maybe OHSAA should look into. But to just continue with the narrative that certain programs are only good because they recruit or get transfers is a lazy take. If HP hadn't started winning anything until they had an 81 CB then you may be on to something and have a point, but Coach smith has been in the playoffs the last 9 years.............. way before pretty much everyone made the post season. Give credit where credit is due.
Yeah I'm sure he's the only straight edge shooter who can recruit but doesn't ;) . Numbers don't lie.

HumbleAndHungry
Freshman Team

greygoose wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:29 pm

Yeah I'm sure he's the only straight edge shooter who can recruit but doesn't ;) . Numbers don't lie.
I wouldn’t say he’s the only one but what I will say is he doesn’t need to. When was the last time you’ve seen a Lamborghini, Rolls Royce or Bentley commercial on TV? Exactly lol they don’t need to either. If you’re in the market to buy one you’ll find them they don’t need to find you……

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

HumbleAndHungry wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:14 am
greygoose wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:29 pm

I wouldn’t say he’s the only one but what I will say is he doesn’t need to. When was the last time you’ve seen a Lamborghini, Rolls Royce or Bentley commercial on TV? Exactly lol they don’t need to either. If you’re in the market to buy one you’ll find them they don’t need to find you……
Just because you feel he doesn't "need" to doesn't mean he doesn't, heard it from enough coaches. What an analogy by the way :lol:

irontonwizard
Freshman Team

Post by irontonwizard »

Maybe we could schedule Pikeville, Ky next year that would be a dandy one. They have an awesome program just like ours.
Go Tigers

OVC Champ
Waterboy

Re: Ironton voted out of OVC.

Post by OVC Champ »

XandOs wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:03 am
formerfcfan wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:00 am Were they voted out because “Ironton is better than” them? Or is it the case that a possibly-poor working relationship on the administrative level between the two parties has an influence in this?
I think it has to do with competition level going forward in foreseeable future.

Ironton is loaded in younger grades. This is just going to make it worse in my opinion. By doing this your putting Ironton on a pedestal.
I could see this if Ironton dominated at all sports, but what do they win at besides football.

OVC Champ
Waterboy

Post by OVC Champ »

The OVC voted out Ceredo Kenova years ago.

goUK
Varsity

Re: Ironton voted out of OVC.

Post by goUK »

OVC Champ wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:13 pm
XandOs wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:03 am
formerfcfan wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:00 am Were they voted out because “Ironton is better than” them? Or is it the case that a possibly-poor working relationship on the administrative level between the two parties has an influence in this?
I think it has to do with competition level going forward in foreseeable future.

Ironton is loaded in younger grades. This is just going to make it worse in my opinion. By doing this your putting Ironton on a pedestal.
I could see this if Ironton dominated at all sports, but what do they win at besides football.
In 7-8 years they have won 2 softball and 1 baseball.
Boys basketball 0
Girls basketball 0
Volleyball 0
Xc 0
Boys track 0
Girls track 0
Wrestling 0
Boys soccer 0
Girls soccer 0
Bowling??
Golf??

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

Ironton has for sure won girls basketball multiple times, but this is further proof kicking Ironton out is just dumb and is being done to serve the interests of Little Dad and Little Dad alone. Just during Ironton’s time in the league, Fairland boys basketball has won more OVC titles than Ironton football. Don’t have exact numbers, but my guess is the same with Gallia volleyball. I don’t hear the drumbeat to kick those schools out, primarily because Little Dad doesn’t care about those.

Return to “Football”