Ironton out of OVC in 2024.

Pinwheel
JV Team

Re: Ironton voted out of OVC.

Post by Pinwheel »

mustard wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:05 pm If this is true, Ironton can only blame themselves. It started at when I was at the first OVC previews when pendleton took over, he took his kids out on the 50 and stomped around on Coal Grove's 50 yard line. This was a preview! No need for that disrespect.
I think that and him recruiting players that put them over a tremendous advantage over the other teams but mainly because he doesn't show respect to other programs who play who they have.

I think it's a mixture of Both ,no one likes getting beat year in and year out and by large margins then add to the fact Ironton actually goes out of their way to look for kids at schools in the same community ticks people off especially when they lose kids the caliber of Perkins lol.

Just doesn't make for a level playing field.

KCol
Freshman Team

Post by KCol »

art_vandelay wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:17 am If true, would like to know how the vote went. I would think it would take more than a simple majority vote to kick a school out of a conference. Likewise, FAC the only option I see for Ironton, and that would be nightmare for travel (distance and expenses). Any West Virginia or Kentucky conferences an option?*
There are no conferences in Kentucky outside of the Eastern Kentucky Conference, which is basketball only and not a good fit for Ironton anyway as they would slaughter the teams in that conference plus Russell would never vote yes to Ironton being in said conference as they have dropped Ashland, Ironton, and Raceland from all scheduling.

To me, Ironton needs to contact Huntington, Cabell Midland, Spring Valley, Hurricane and Winfield or Wayne, St. Albans and Poca about scheduling games/joining a conference, although I personally doubt Huntington will want to play Ironton either.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

I'll word this as honestly as I can and I'm sure it'll ruffle a few feathers. That's ok. Honesty is never a bad thing.

I root for Ironton. I think it's great they heavily promote their kids. I think it's great they put kids in D1 uniforms. I hope they win the State Championship primarily to represent out area.

With that said, it's not a surprise that local schools want Ironton out. Many of the schools best players are transferring to Ironton, only to turn around and beat the crap out of their original school. Now, I know many Ironton fans will say "well kids want to play for the best!" I get that. But if you think Pendleton and staff aren't at least bending a few rules then I don't know what to tell you. Case in point -- Perkins was a sophomore at Valley and you heard some rumblings throughout the year that he was going to Ironton the next year. Pendleton is at the D4 district final basketball game between Valley and New Boston and waits in the gym to talk to Perkins before he left. You think he just really wanted to watch a D4 basketball district championship and just so happened to want to tell Perkins good game? Perkins, interestingly enough, enrolls as soon as school is out.

Now, imagine these scenarios for someone in your actual conference -- doing it right underneath your nose. Would you like it? It goes above and beyond promoting kids ------ there's also a comradory amongst the coaching community to respect one another and not cross certain boundaries. There seems to be no boundaries on who Ironton coaches will pursue (even if it simply means talking to a parent of a student in passing somewhere). BREAKING rules? That's up for debate. BENDING or at least tip-toeing the line of certain rules? I don't know how anyone could logically deny that's been occurring.

If you make enough people mad --- eventually they're going to try and retaliate back. And that's exactly what you're seeing from the OVC schools/coaches/administrators.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

bbjunky81 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:10 pm I'll word this as honestly as I can and I'm sure it'll ruffle a few feathers. That's ok. Honesty is never a bad thing.

I root for Ironton. I think it's great they heavily promote their kids. I think it's great they put kids in D1 uniforms. I hope they win the State Championship primarily to represent out area.

With that said, it's not a surprise that local schools want Ironton out. Many of the schools best players are transferring to Ironton, only to turn around and beat the crap out of their original school. Now, I know many Ironton fans will say "well kids want to play for the best!" I get that. But if you think Pendleton and staff aren't at least bending a few rules then I don't know what to tell you. Case in point -- Perkins was a sophomore at Valley and you heard some rumblings throughout the year that he was going to Ironton the next year. Pendleton is at the D4 district final basketball game between Valley and New Boston and waits in the gym to talk to Perkins before he left. You think he just really wanted to watch a D4 basketball district championship and just so happened to want to tell Perkins good game? Perkins, interestingly enough, enrolls as soon as school is out.

Now, imagine these scenarios for someone in your actual conference -- doing it right underneath your nose. Would you like it? It goes above and beyond promoting kids ------ there's also a comradory amongst the coaching community to respect one another and not cross certain boundaries. There seems to be no boundaries on who Ironton coaches will pursue (even if it simply means talking to a parent of a student in passing somewhere). BREAKING rules? That's up for debate. BENDING or at least tip-toeing the line of certain rules? I don't know how anyone could logically deny that's been occurring.

If you make enough people mad --- eventually they're going to try and retaliate back. And that's exactly what you're seeing from the OVC schools/coaches/administrators.
This is probably the most logic explanation if the rumor is correct. I hope this is just for football, i couldn't imagine trying to schedule volley ball games without a conference. If it's just for football, they could starve out trying to get enough transfers to compete with larger schools which will who they will have to schedule. Also this will increase their CB, which will make it tougher to compete for the state, which seems to be their only goal.

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

This isn't true

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

I don’t think it is either

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
Pinwheel
JV Team

Post by Pinwheel »

You can not play only football in a league lol you are either in or out ,all sports, Pendleton tried the only football already and it didn't fly.

I talked to AD from another school and is IS legit, and like posted above it will be announced soon.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

art_vandelay wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:17 am If true, would like to know how the vote went. I would think it would take more than a simple majority vote to kick a school out of a conference. Likewise, FAC the only option I see for Ironton, and that would be nightmare for travel (distance and expenses). Any West Virginia or Kentucky conferences an option?*
I think different conferences probably have different bylaws, but I thought it took a unanimous vote though.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

trojandave wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:15 pm How did the "original" schools of the OVC feel when Chesapeake dominated the conference in boys basketball for the better part of 15 years when Norm Persin was there? Year after year it was the Peake winning the title, with several undefeated seasons. I remember that there were games that were complete blowouts. They dominated the OVC more so than Fairland is doing now. Did Chesapeake have all home grown talent to sustain that level of dominance?

I bring that up because Ironton hasn't come close to the longevity of the once Chesapeake dynasty.
Basketball is one thing, football is another thing. I'm still curious if this is football only

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

bbjunky81 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:10 pm I'll word this as honestly as I can and I'm sure it'll ruffle a few feathers. That's ok. Honesty is never a bad thing.

BINGO, great post and why I've been saying since pre-season something will happen. You can only spit in the face of your competition for so long before they decide to say FU, we took you in when no one wanted you and this is how it turned out. Great post man and 100% correct

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

Ironton hasn’t had a kid transfer from an OVC school to Ironton since Pendleton has been there to my knowledge. We’ve lost a few to other schools last couple years but I can’t think of one kid playing that came from an OVC school. The truth is these OVC schools have realized the gap is widening and in next few years Ironton is going to be very good and they want away from them. Point is. They don’t want to compete. They want the original OVC and certain schools can start winning championships again.

Pinwheel
JV Team

Post by Pinwheel »

This is what Ironton wanted anyway or at least what Pendleton wanted ,so just move on and play the independent role I'm betting kirtland, harvest prep , Coldwater etc. Won't have a problem giving you the competition you're looking for

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

How many kids does Ironton have that attended HS at another OVC school. I think the answer is zero, would be willing to be told I’m wrong. 64 went to SP at one point, not sure when he came over. Outside of that, I can’t think of another kid.

If Norm was still the coach when the Valley thing happened, I’m stunned he let that go on. I don’t like coaches from school A talking to kids from school B anything beyond good game, but if the best people have is “He talked to a player one time in public” that’s not much.

Bottom line is Rock Hill and Coal Grove people absolutely hate Ironton. Call it inferiority, call it racism, call it smart, doesn’t matter, they hate Ironton. Always have. Surprised the let them in the conference in the first place. They will not tolerate Ironton winning the conference in football like this. If Ironton stays, they will leave. If Ironton leaves, they’ll be happy trying to be the medium fish in the world’s smallest pond.

The Chesapeake/Fairland basketball dynasties don’t bother them because they don’t care about basketball. Rock Hill has won like 1 OVC game in five years and they change nothing.

Rock Hill was actively promoting a #HomeontheHill hashtag last year when Ironton kids were going out there. Which is cool! But hard for a school to brag about transfers on Facebook to complain about transfers.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

You guys talking about players leaving other OVC schools to Ironton crack me up. They’d probably be ok with that, unless a coach showed up to their basketball games,and they’re more they’re just tired of seeing a public school get 4-5-6 new high profile transfers in each year. Think the stuff that went on with Perkins was the only kid? Heck no that wasn’t an isolated incident. Oh well as some have said and I myself believe this had to happen. There’s not a single Ironton fan that should be surprised or mad at this outcome it’s been coming for awhile. Even if it’s not true it will be soon enough. Someone said screws up scheduled no it doesn’t, only for Ironton, other schools are short 1 conference game they push back games a week find 1 open opponent pretty simple.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

You can go independent and schedule super hard games and lose. 16 teams a region and look at symmes valley they were 17th with a 1-9 record. You will get burg, Jackson and Portsmouth I hope. It would really look bad for Portsmouth as some people think they are dodging wheelersburg by taking them off the schedule so hopefully that rivalry stays. The issue is other sports. Football is 10 games and the others are a lot more.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

Honestly finding games for other sports won’t be hard. It’s when you’ll have to play them. With most leagues playing every Tuesday and Friday in boys basketball, if you’re not in a league, finding opponents on those days is next to impossible. So you’re now playing every Saturday, plus picking up weird days.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Has anyone confirmed if this would be football only? Or is that even an option? Does this trickle down to the Jr. High level as well?

Mytwocents
Waterboy

Post by Mytwocents »

TigerBob wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:39 pm

How many kids does Ironton have that attended HS at another OVC school. I think the answer is zero, would be willing to be told I’m wrong. 64 went to SP at one point, not sure when he came over. Outside of that, I can’t think of another kid.

If Norm was still the coach when the Valley thing happened, I’m stunned he let that go on. I don’t like coaches from school A talking to kids from school B anything beyond good game, but if the best people have is “He talked to a player one time in public” that’s not much.

Bottom line is Rock Hill and Coal Grove people absolutely hate Ironton. Call it inferiority, call it racism, call it smart, doesn’t matter, they hate Ironton. Always have. Surprised the let them in the conference in the first place. They will not tolerate Ironton winning the conference in football like this. If Ironton stays, they will leave. If Ironton leaves, they’ll be happy trying to be the medium fish in the world’s smallest pond.

The Chesapeake/Fairland basketball dynasties don’t bother them because they don’t care about basketball. Rock Hill has won like 1 OVC game in five years and they change nothing.

Rock Hill was actively promoting a #HomeontheHill hashtag last year when Ironton kids were going out there. Which is cool! But hard for a school to brag about transfers on Facebook to complain about transfers.
Wow! Nice to know that the people from Rock Hill and Coal Grove are “INFERIOR RACIST “.

Way to stay classy Ironton!

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

KCol wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:00 pm
There are no conferences in Kentucky outside of the Eastern Kentucky Conference, which is basketball only and not a good fit for Ironton anyway as they would slaughter the teams in that conference plus Russell would never vote yes to Ironton being in said conference as they have dropped Ashland, Ironton, and Raceland from all scheduling.

To me, Ironton needs to contact Huntington, Cabell Midland, Spring Valley, Hurricane and Winfield or Wayne, St. Albans and Poca about scheduling games/joining a conference, although I personally doubt Huntington will want to play Ironton either.
That's interesting about Russell. I previously heard that Ashland also refusing to schedule Ironton and Raceland now due to transfers.

But yeah, look for the non-football sports at Ironton to be playing a lot of Wednesday and Saturday games. Football will likely keep Burg, Jackson, and Portsmouth in early season, but will have to load up on Kentucky/West Virginia schools to fill up the back end of the schedule once Ohio schools start conference play.*

KCol
Freshman Team

Post by KCol »

art_vandelay wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:38 pm
KCol wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:00 pm

That's interesting about Russell. I previously heard that Ashland also refusing to schedule Ironton and Raceland now due to transfers.

But yeah, look for the non-football sports at Ironton to be playing a lot of Wednesday and Saturday games. Football will likely keep Burg, Jackson, and Portsmouth in early season, but will have to load up on Kentucky/West Virginia schools to fill up the back end of the schedule once Ohio schools start conference play.*
Same deal with Russell. They are upset with Ashland (basketball transfers) and Ironton/Raceland (football transfers). I don't agree with Russell dropping all of them from the schedule, but it is what it is. Russell had played Ashland every year in the Kiwanis Bowl (traditionally a freshman game) since 1979 (more than three decades) and hasn't played them the last two years.

I also agree with you on the additional sports playing Wednesday/Saturday games. It is a shame because I think baseball, both basketball programs, golf, softball, volleyball, and track have the potential to compete at a very high level there. Track and golf wouldn't be hurt too much by the move due to the independence of both sports in general, but I feel it will be hard for Ironton to land a coach who will want to build a team sport program without a conference home.

Return to “Football”