Ironton out of OVC in 2024.

wobycat
SEOPS

Re: Ironton out of OVC in 2024.

Post by wobycat »

Ironmen98 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:26 am
wobycat wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:55 am
Ironmen98 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:25 am

Look the ohsaa concluded with its CB report that burg had kids from outside the district, 2018 the number was as high as 30. Are you saying this is a lie?
Iron men, It's pretty simple really.

What he is saying is that Burg's CB is high because some kids live just outside the district but have attended since Kind. While Ironton's is high because they are getting transfers in high school.

He is saying that is different because the kids Ironton are getting are proven players while burg doesn't know if they will be good until they get up there.

Do you agree?

Both getting outside help , just in different ways , yes agree
Do you think that there is a difference in advantage? Or which helps the team more? Ironton's way or Burg's?

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

osu 77 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:26 am
eagle one wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:42 pm
2trap_4ever wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:21 pm

https://www.irontontribune.com/2023/01/ ... y-in-2024/

Ironton agreed to leave the league with a review of coming back in 3 years.
screw em id never put one dollar in their pockets again
Ironton’s dominance in football caused concern with some schools that not only was it hard for them to compete, but because football is such a physical game the Fighting Tigers not only beat up on teams on the scoreboard but caused a lot of injuries. Smaller enrollments have created smaller rosters and made it difficult to not only have a varsity team of upperclassmen but caused a problem fielding reserve teams. With some schools exploring a move to another league that would make them more competitive, Ironton talked with other league teams and elected to step aside and play an independent schedule beginning in 2024 in order to keep the conference in tack. The Fighting Tigers will open the 2024 season with Wheelersburg and Jackson and close with Fairland, Gallipolis and Portsmouth once they exit the OVC which means they will need to fill the schedule with five other schools.
Read more at: https://www.irontontribune.com/2023/01/ ... y-in-2024/

Lets don't get ahead of ourselves here are a few of the comments out of the Ironton paper. They agreed to leave read above!
Yes the OVC needed to split. Chesapeake and Coal Grove simply don't have the enrollment numbers. That's why there is an SOC 1 and 2. OVC needed this. Tried but failed.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

wobycat wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:38 am

What he is saying is that Burg's CB is high because some kids live just outside the district but have attended since Kind. While Ironton's is high because they are getting transfers in high school.

He is saying that is different because the kids Ironton are getting are proven players while burg doesn't know if they will be good until they get up there.

Do you agree?

Do you think that there is a difference in advantage? Or which helps the team more? Ironton's way or Burg's?
Hard to say , depends on the kids. But can we agree both betting a lot of help from other districts?

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Ironmen98 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:10 am

Hard to say , depends on the kids. But can we agree both betting a lot of help from other districts?
I suppose if those kids grew up to be good, whereas Ironton has kids who are significantly good coming in. I think that is the point of most Burg posters.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

wobycat wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:05 pm

I suppose if those kids grew up to be good, whereas Ironton has kids who are significantly good coming in. I think that is the point of most Burg posters.

That’s why I asked who the outside kids were for Burg. Then I can say how much they helped the team. Ironton for sure is attracting some good talent.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Ironmen98 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:23 pm

That’s why I asked who the outside kids were for Burg. Then I can say how much they helped the team. Ironton for sure is attracting some good talent.
I have no idea, who lives outside the district, unless I knew their addresses. Then I could tell you lol. I do know that there have been no incoming students sophomore up. I think they all have attended since K or at least before Junior High. Even last years group was like that I believe

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

wobycat wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:33 pm

I have no idea, who lives outside the district, unless I knew their addresses. Then I could tell you lol. I do know that there have been no incoming students sophomore up. I think they all have attended since K or at least before Junior High. Even last years group was like that I believe
I get what you’re saying. Kids that should be going to other schools want to go to Wheelersburg. I don’t blame them. It’s a great program.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Ironmen98 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:41 pm

I get what you’re saying. Kids that should be going to other schools want to go to Wheelersburg. I don’t blame them. It’s a great program.
I would even venture to say that every year we will have 5 to 10 boys who live right outside the district count against us. It's just the make up of the area. One reason might be Webster does''t offer football. But other than that, I think it's more because it's a good school and closer than the school the family lives in.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

wobycat wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:48 pm
Ironmen98 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:41 pm

I would even venture to say that every year we will have 5 to 10 boys who live right outside the district count against us. It's just the make up of the area. One reason might be Webster does''t offer football. But other than that, I think it's more because it's a good school and closer than the school the family lives in.
Buddy Burg is top notch at all sports and education. Who wouldn’t want their kid to go there.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

One major flaw with viewing it this way: many of these families moved to these border areas in order to get more bang for their buck with regards to housing while knowing their kids would go to Burg. If Burg was not an option living in these locations, they would buy a house within Burg district.

So to assume that since Johnny lives in East school district, he would go to East if Burg wasn’t an option is false. Very likely his family would not have moved into that area and would have bought within Burg district.

It’s much more complex than what is happening at other schools were kids are simply transferring in just to play football.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Do you agree?

Ironton’s system has a higher ceiling (due to better talent) but is very dependent on who’s the coach. Burg’s system doesn’t have as high a ceiling but is more consistent; less dependent on coach and more dependent on culture, community, and relationships.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

RBH23 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:12 pm

One major flaw with viewing it this way: many of these families moved to these border areas in order to get more bang for their buck with regards to housing while knowing their kids would go to Burg. If Burg was not an option living in these locations, they would buy a house within Burg district.

So to assume that since Johnny lives in East school district, he would go to East if Burg wasn’t an option is false. Very likely his family would not have moved into that area and would have bought within Burg district.

It’s much more complex than what is happening at other schools were kids are simply transferring in just to play football.
I get what you’re saying.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

wobycat wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:40 am
osu 77 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:26 am
eagle one wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:42 pm
screw em id never put one dollar in their pockets again
Ironton’s dominance in football caused concern with some schools that not only was it hard for them to compete, but because football is such a physical game the Fighting Tigers not only beat up on teams on the scoreboard but caused a lot of injuries. Smaller enrollments have created smaller rosters and made it difficult to not only have a varsity team of upperclassmen but caused a problem fielding reserve teams. With some schools exploring a move to another league that would make them more competitive, Ironton talked with other league teams and elected to step aside and play an independent schedule beginning in 2024 in order to keep the conference in tack. The Fighting Tigers will open the 2024 season with Wheelersburg and Jackson and close with Fairland, Gallipolis and Portsmouth once they exit the OVC which means they will need to fill the schedule with five other schools.
Read more at: https://www.irontontribune.com/2023/01/ ... y-in-2024/

Lets don't get ahead of ourselves here are a few of the comments out of the Ironton paper. They agreed to leave read above!
Yes the OVC needed to split. Chesapeake and Coal Grove simply don't have the enrollment numbers. That's why there is an SOC 1 and 2. OVC needed this. Tried but failed.
Chesapeake is the 4th largest school in the OVC.

RollCoal
JV Team

Post by RollCoal »

Really surprised they allowed Ironton to exit for football only. However, it does help the other sports keep their schedules filled out and not scrambling to schedule a ton of independent games.

Anyhow, good luck to all the teams and prayers for an injury free season for all the kids.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and excepting a different result;
Albert Einstein
fielddaddy
JV Team

Post by fielddaddy »

This is a win win for all schools involved.
Ironton gets to up it's schedule in Football and I believe they been looking at this opportunity for years so they know what they are heading into scheduling wise.
As for the other sports it's a big win seeing that the teams are close to equal in talent in the other sports plus the gate money will remain great for all the teams involved as well as the travelling.
How long the OVC allows Ironton to stay in the conference in all other sports remains to be seen.
If Ironton begins to make improvements and get a influx of talent on the court and the Baseball Diamond then things would change again.
Sadly the schools in the OVC continue to get smaller and Ironton seems to be ticking upward in enrollment and not just in transfers.
Ironton out grew the OVC in Football will other sports be doing the same in time ,well only time will tell.
Great move though for all involved.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

RollCoal wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:22 am Really surprised they allowed Ironton to exit for football only. However, it does help the other sports keep their schedules filled out and not scrambling to schedule a ton of independent games.

Anyhow, good luck to all the teams and prayers for an injury free season for all the kids.
Kudos to the OVC for not tossing out the other Ironton sports which would have been a disaster for those kids.

Filling a football schedule as an independent can be tricky enough, but filling a schedule for all sports as independents would be nearly impossible. Would have resulted in fewer games, longer drives, games against far bigger schools, etc.

LockHerUp
Freshman Team

Post by LockHerUp »

Good. It's settled. The burg and Ironton capitalize equally on talented kids both in and outside their districts. No more excuses for the burg. You're DONE.

mustard
JV Team

Post by mustard »

LockHerUp wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:53 pm Good. It's settled. The burg and Ironton capitalize equally on talented kids both in and outside their districts. No more excuses for the burg. You're DONE.
:lol: I don't think there is a school in the ovc or soc who doesn't have some sort of competitive balance. Difference in Burg and Ironton is Burg is salty they don't wait to cherry pick like Ironton does.

fielddaddy
JV Team

Post by fielddaddy »

Don’t matter how you defend either team on the transfer topic one side will see it different
Parents want what is best for their children for right or wrong better or worse.
I believe without the Transfers Ironton would still have done well.
Make the state don’t know but I believe they was just as good as any team in the south in those years.
Same for Burg how much do the kids not from their district help them in including the ones that have been there sonce grade school.
The fact is Ironton Burg and Jackson are the powers of SE Ohio.
Transfers or not and we should be proud of them and the other teams.

irontonwizard
Freshman Team

Post by irontonwizard »

fielddaddy wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:53 am Don’t matter how you defend either team on the transfer topic one side will see it different
Parents want what is best for their children for right or wrong better or worse.
I believe without the Transfers Ironton would still have done well.
Make the state don’t know but I believe they was just as good as any team in the south in those years.
Same for Burg how much do the kids not from their district help them in including the ones that have been there sonce grade school.
The fact is Ironton Burg and Jackson are the powers of SE Ohio.
Transfers or not and we should be proud of them and the other teams.
Well said

Return to “Football”