Ironton out of OVC in 2024.

wobycat
SEOPS

Re: Ironton voted out of OVC (RUMOR)

Post by wobycat »

XandOs wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:17 am
Pinwheel wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:02 am A transfer here and there ? 😂 Mr shady is definitely working hard like fighting a fire ,like trying to keep all that paper work in line to keep from getting Ironton a big ole fine and more of a black eye on Ironton poor bob lutz must be really embarrassed he won't even talk to no one in I town.
The 8th grade team will be just fine as junior and senior as long as a better player don't come up on mr shadys radar to move in.
Coach Lutz and Burcham had as many of not more kids moving into the program during their hay day. One of our best teams in the 80s was an entire backfield not from Ironton originally. Once again. The tradition, culture and community recruits itself. In Ironton, football is king and everyone knows it.
All that proves is that Ironton's biggest successes are a result of transfrers. But at least you recognize it. Maybe the 8th grade can win something without the transfers. But right now you are proving the point of those who point it out.

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

wobycat wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:28 am
Pinwheel wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:02 am A transfer here and there ? 😂 Mr shady is definitely working hard like fighting a fire ,like trying to keep all that paper work in line to keep from getting Ironton a big ole fine and more of a black eye on Ironton poor bob lutz must be really embarrassed he won't even talk to no one in I town.
The 8th grade team will be just fine as junior and senior as long as a better player don't come up on mr shadys radar to move in.
Coach Lutz and Burcham had as many of not more kids moving into the program during their hay day. One of our best teams in the 80s was an entire backfield not from Ironton originally. Once again. The tradition, culture and community recruits itself. In Ironton, football is king and everyone knows it.
All that proves is that Ironton's biggest successes are a result of transfrers. But at least you recognize it. Maybe the 8th grade can win something without the transfers. But right now you are proving the point of those who point it out.
Wheelersburg would be Minford if it weren’t for kids from around that county Moving into the district at all ages. Don’t throw stones when you live in a glass house. The whole CB argument is skewed too. If a family moves into district they don’t count toward CB. They just count toward #. Ironton has 11,000 people in city. Wheelersburg has 4,000. Ironton population is older than Wheelersburg but Wheelersburg is getting their fair share of move ins to the district. When people move into Ironton they are called transfers/recruits. When people move to Wheelersburg they are called transplants.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

XandOs wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:36 am
wobycat wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:28 am

Wheelersburg would be Minford if it weren’t for kids from around that county Moving into the district at all ages. Don’t throw stones when you live in a glass house. The whole CB argument is skewed too. If a family moves into district they don’t count toward CB. They just count toward #. Ironton has 11,000 people in city. Wheelersburg has 4,000. Ironton population is older than Wheelersburg but Wheelersburg is getting their fair share of move ins to the district. When people move into Ironton they are called transfers/recruits. When people move to Wheelersburg they are called transplants.
I doubt it. Considering Burg has the fourth-highest winning percentage in the history of the state of Ohio.

The difference of Ironton's CB and Burg's CB has been argued at a "beat a dead horse pace" So I won't explore it again.

thirtyonetrap
Varsity

Post by thirtyonetrap »

If Ironton leaves the league they would be free to start a series against Kirtland. Maybe playing them regularly will help them know what it takes to win a state title.

Hurting the feelings of the nadless wonders who are afraid to comment before the games.
Raider2
Riding the Bench

Post by Raider2 »

Most would say Burg gets more transfers in all sports than anyone in SEO

On Probation :mrgreen:
MrAccount_Ability

Post by MrAccount_Ability »

Raider2 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:53 pm Most would say Burg gets more transfers in all sports than anyone in SEO
Attachments
Screenshot_20221107_130205.jpg
Screenshot_20221107_134226.jpg

kantucky
Varsity

Post by kantucky »

Honestly, is there anyone out there really who doesn't believe that Kirtland and their ilk doesn't have many transfers? (if it's Ironton, you call them recruits)

Kirtland only has 17 playoff appearances, 20 less than Ironton (which is tied for 2nd all time with Archbishop Moeller, Newark Catholic has 1 more, or 38 playoff appearances.

Since 2011, Kirtland has 6 first place finishes and 4 runner up's. Now, you can not convince me a small school like this has had this much homegrown talent. It's mostly a matter of priorities...how much do you want to see your program grow and improve? Success breeds success and it stands to reason, success is going to cause kids to gravitate to your program.

Kirtland's playoff history: 2021 (2nd), 2020 (1st), 2019 (1st), 2018 (1st), 2017 (2nd), 2016, 2015 (1st), 2014 (2nd), 2013 (1st), 2012 (2nd), 2011 (1st), 2010, 2008, 2007, 2006, 1999, 1990

Ironton's: Ironton - 2021, 2020 (2nd), 2019 (2nd), 2018, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000, 1999 (2nd), 1998, 1995, 1994, 1993 (2nd), 1992 (2nd), 1991, 1990, 1989 (1st), 1988 (2nd), 1987, 1986, 1985, 1982 (2nd),1980, 1979 (1st), 1975, 1973 (2nd)

Burg? Burg's playoff record stands at 44-31 and 8 Semi-Finalist
Ironton? 56-35 and 13 Semi-finalist
South Point? 2 playoff appearances and they're 0-2..

Who could blame a kid who wanted to get out of that program?

Kirtland80
All State

Post by Kirtland80 »

kantucky wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:44 pm Honestly, is there anyone out there really who doesn't believe that Kirtland and their ilk doesn't have many transfers? (if it's Ironton, you call them recruits)

Kirtland only has 17 playoff appearances, 20 less than Ironton (which is tied for 2nd all time with Archbishop Moeller, Newark Catholic has 1 more, or 38 playoff appearances.

Since 2011, Kirtland has 6 first place finishes and 4 runner up's. Now, you can not convince me a small school like this has had this much homegrown talent. It's mostly a matter of priorities...how much do you want to see your program grow and improve? Success breeds success and it stands to reason, success is going to cause kids to gravitate to your program.

Kirtland's playoff history: 2021 (2nd), 2020 (1st), 2019 (1st), 2018 (1st), 2017 (2nd), 2016, 2015 (1st), 2014 (2nd), 2013 (1st), 2012 (2nd), 2011 (1st), 2010, 2008, 2007, 2006, 1999, 1990

Ironton's: Ironton - 2021, 2020 (2nd), 2019 (2nd), 2018, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000, 1999 (2nd), 1998, 1995, 1994, 1993 (2nd), 1992 (2nd), 1991, 1990, 1989 (1st), 1988 (2nd), 1987, 1986, 1985, 1982 (2nd),1980, 1979 (1st), 1975, 1973 (2nd)

Burg? Burg's playoff record stands at 44-31 and 8 Semi-Finalist
Ironton? 56-35 and 13 Semi-finalist
South Point? 2 playoff appearances and they're 0-2..

Who could blame a kid who wanted to get out of that program?
I can assure you we don’t have any transfers. We are a closed enrollment school. It doesn’t always take D1 talent to win

6O HORN3TS 🐝
transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

So do you have any kids that move into the district at all?

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

transplant wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:12 am So do you have any kids that move into the district at all?
All you have to do is look at previous rosters. Honestly they don’t. And most of the mac schools don’t either. Probably because you would have to move in. Harvest prep is on a whole other level than Ironton. Their CB is 81! Lol

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Kirtland likely doesn’t have many dwellings (houses/apartments) that are for rent to begin with, and moving-in via buying a house is generally limited with small supply of homes listed and high asking prices. If you commute into Cleveland for work then you’d be better off living in Pepper Pike, Solon or even Mayfield Heights.

Comparing private school CB #’s and public school CB #’s is apples and oranges. The system works as it is intended regarding private school CB #’s. Whether or not every kid that counts toward CB #’s in a private school meets the spirit of why CB came about in the first place, with some merely just a product of natural movement, well that’s a different discussion.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

wobycat wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:03 am
transplant wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:12 am So do you have any kids that move into the district at all?
All you have to do is look at previous rosters. Honestly they don’t. And most of the mac schools don’t either. Probably because you would have to move in. Harvest prep is on a whole other level than Ironton. Their CB is 81! Lol
Right, I didn't know if kids moved there to play or not. Makes sense. yeah, a CB of 81 is hard to hide. haha.

HumbleAndHungry
Freshman Team

Post by HumbleAndHungry »

transplant wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:52 am
Right, I didn't know if kids moved there to play or not. Makes sense. yeah, a CB of 81 is hard to hide. haha.
First I'll open up saying, the Junior and Senior class at Prep this year has done nothing but win going back to the Jr High teams that they played on TOGETHER at HP. Since 2018 HP Jr. High teams haven't lost a game. A year later in 2019 they had their first JV team and another Regional championship (Second in 4 years) with a CB of 26. 2020 is when all that changed when COVID hit and since Columbus City Schools only played maybe 5 or 6 games all eyes were on Prep (and a hand full of other teams in the Columbus area) and all of Columbus finally seen what Coach Smith had been building the past 5 or 6 years. HP went on a deep play off run yet once again and had a great shot at beating Ironton but ended up losing 21-14 in the State Semis. Combine that with HP winning a Basketball State Title the year before in 19, and HP was now being seen as the hottest and up and coming program in Columbus and that's when the transfers come into play. The guys that HP got were kids that weren't happy with the programs they were in and HP had been really successful at that point being Regional Champs twice in that 4 or 5 year span, once again with the CB at 26 in 2018 and 32 in 2019. And I get it many of you have no idea how Columbus football works and operates because the towns you all live in only have 1 team for the ENTIRE CITY. I don't want to bash Columbus City Schools but they are in bad shape, that's one of the reasons the teachers were on strike to begin the year. Not at every school but overall the education is bad, the buildings are old, and the athletic facilities terrible shape. The biggest things football related is the athletic facilities and fields are in awful shape and they don't have Jr. High football. With all that being said and factored in that's where you get the 26 CB in 2018 to the 81 now. I said it before and ill say it again winning programs don't have to recruit. Parents just wanted better for their kids and successful programs will always get family's that want to better their kids opportunities in education and in sports if they find themselves in a place where they are unhappy one way or another. Ill conclude with this, if you think private schools should be in a playoff bracket with other Private schools then ok I hear ya and that's a legit thing that other states do have in place and maybe OHSAA should look into. But to just continue with the narrative that certain programs are only good because they recruit or get transfers is a lazy take. If HP hadn't started winning anything until they had an 81 CB then you may be on to something and have a point, but Coach smith has been in the playoffs the last 9 years.............. way before pretty much everyone made the post season. Give credit where credit is due.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

I wasn't trying to discredit them at all. Maybe the transfers are playing basketball instead of football. I get it city schools in Columbus are different. I didn't mean that they are only winning with transfers. Thanks for the information though.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

One other thing to punctuate the point further is there frankly is nothing worthwhile on the SE side of Columbus other than HP. Columbus City is a mess for various reasons, and Independence HS (Columbus City) has a ton of challenges. The suburban school closest to most of the kids, which in theory would be several steps up from Columbus City, is Groveport-Madison. G-M has a ton of challenges, too.

HP’s enrollment on the raw EMIS numbers has also grown over the last few years, so really when one kid gets out of Columbus City/G-M and comes in they translate through the formula into four kids, each, in the total enrollment number (+1 EMIS, +3 CB -> +4 EMIS + CB.) It’s a little unusual that the total enrollment # can swell up so quick, and when I say it’s unusual the fact of the matter is most schools with the high CB #’s aren’t actually experiencing school growth (see: Toledo Central Catholic, Cleveland Benedictine) whereas HP is experiencing growth and they pay double-duty (perhaps rightly) on the enrollment figures as a result. With HP they are a generally strict school in their standards and expectations of conduct, and are far more tight on everything than CCS or G-M could ever hope to be. If you’re a kid growing up in the area and want something solid for yourself, HP is the option. There are plenty of reasons why a kid coming from either of the two public systems would want to go to HP, and those are bigger than sports.

HumbleAndHungry
Freshman Team

formerfcfan wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:57 pm One other thing to punctuate the point further is there frankly is nothing worthwhile on the SE side of Columbus other than HP. Columbus City is a mess for various reasons, and Independence HS (Columbus City) has a ton of challenges. The suburban school closest to most of the kids, which in theory would be several steps up from Columbus City, is Groveport-Madison. G-M has a ton of challenges, too.

HP’s enrollment on the raw EMIS numbers has also grown over the last few years, so really when one kid gets out of Columbus City/G-M and comes in they translate through the formula into four kids, each, in the total enrollment number (+1 EMIS, +3 CB -> +4 EMIS + CB.) It’s a little unusual that the total enrollment # can swell up so quick, and when I say it’s unusual the fact of the matter is most schools with the high CB #’s aren’t actually experiencing school growth (see: Toledo Central Catholic, Cleveland Benedictine) whereas HP is experiencing growth and they pay double-duty (perhaps rightly) on the enrollment figures as a result. With HP they are a generally strict school in their standards and expectations of conduct, and are far more tight on everything than CCS or G-M could ever hope to be. If you’re a kid growing up in the area and want something solid for yourself, HP is the option. There are plenty of reasons why a kid coming from either of the two public systems would want to go to HP, and those are bigger than sports.
Dont forget Reynoldsburg is right up the street (Rebuilding a bad football program) Canal right down the street and both Pickerington Schools not that far away either, right around the corner loaded with kids that dont get an opportunity to play much after 2 or 3 years in the system looking to still finish out high school at a winning program. Its a pretty simple choice. Either sit the bench and just be happy being apart of a championship team or go to HP and get a great education, play on good athletic teams and still compete for state championships.

HumbleAndHungry
Freshman Team

transplant wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:32 pm I wasn't trying to discredit them at all. Maybe the transfers are playing basketball instead of football. I get it city schools in Columbus are different. I didn't mean that they are only winning with transfers. Thanks for the information though.
No problem

Bad Snap
Riding the Bench

Post by Bad Snap »

I can assure you we don’t have any transfers. We are a closed enrollment school. It doesn’t always take D1 talent to win

It does in Ironton

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

HumbleAndHungry wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:15 pm

First I'll open up saying, the Junior and Senior class at Prep this year has done nothing but win going back to the Jr High teams that they played on TOGETHER at HP. Since 2018 HP Jr. High teams haven't lost a game. A year later in 2019 they had their first JV team and another Regional championship (Second in 4 years) with a CB of 26. 2020 is when all that changed when COVID hit and since Columbus City Schools only played maybe 5 or 6 games all eyes were on Prep (and a hand full of other teams in the Columbus area) and all of Columbus finally seen what Coach Smith had been building the past 5 or 6 years. HP went on a deep play off run yet once again and had a great shot at beating Ironton but ended up losing 21-14 in the State Semis. Combine that with HP winning a Basketball State Title the year before in 19, and HP was now being seen as the hottest and up and coming program in Columbus and that's when the transfers come into play. The guys that HP got were kids that weren't happy with the programs they were in and HP had been really successful at that point being Regional Champs twice in that 4 or 5 year span, once again with the CB at 26 in 2018 and 32 in 2019. And I get it many of you have no idea how Columbus football works and operates because the towns you all live in only have 1 team for the ENTIRE CITY. I don't want to bash Columbus City Schools but they are in bad shape, that's one of the reasons the teachers were on strike to begin the year. Not at every school but overall the education is bad, the buildings are old, and the athletic facilities terrible shape. The biggest things football related is the athletic facilities and fields are in awful shape and they don't have Jr. High football. With all that being said and factored in that's where you get the 26 CB in 2018 to the 81 now. I said it before and ill say it again winning programs don't have to recruit. Parents just wanted better for their kids and successful programs will always get family's that want to better their kids opportunities in education and in sports if they find themselves in a place where they are unhappy one way or another. Ill conclude with this, if you think private schools should be in a playoff bracket with other Private schools then ok I hear ya and that's a legit thing that other states do have in place and maybe OHSAA should look into. But to just continue with the narrative that certain programs are only good because they recruit or get transfers is a lazy take. If HP hadn't started winning anything until they had an 81 CB then you may be on to something and have a point, but Coach smith has been in the playoffs the last 9 years.............. way before pretty much everyone made the post season. Give credit where credit is due.
Nice write up and 100% agree on the Columbus school system as a whole and I'm sure coach smith has done a great job. However, let's not take away from the fact they do 100% recruit, it's no big deal they can and do whatever it is what it is but it's funny to hear someone say yeah we've got a 81 CB but that's just because all these kids wanted to come in. As one of the private school coaches pointed out to a few coaches in this area after they beat them things are just that much easier, "If I lose a guy I just look up the area stat leaders and go talk to the kid about coming and starting for us". Former assistant coach from Toledo Central Catholic same thing, if they're looking for a guy or in need of a position he would just go and hang out at schools and talk with players. I give credit to coach Smith because with the influx of players he gets from year to year he's able to hit the ground running when the year starts with no growing pains.

HumbleAndHungry
Freshman Team

greygoose wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:16 pm
HumbleAndHungry wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:15 pm

Nice write up and 100% agree on the Columbus school system as a whole and I'm sure coach smith has done a great job. However, let's not take away from the fact they do 100% recruit, it's no big deal they can and do whatever it is what it is but it's funny to hear someone say yeah we've got a 81 CB but that's just because all these kids wanted to come in. As one of the private school coaches pointed out to a few coaches in this area after they beat them things are just that much easier, "If I lose a guy I just look up the area stat leaders and go talk to the kid about coming and starting for us". Former assistant coach from Toledo Central Catholic same thing, if they're looking for a guy or in need of a position he would just go and hang out at schools and talk with players. I give credit to coach Smith because with the influx of players he gets from year to year he's able to hit the ground running when the year starts with no growing pains.
There aren’t any growing pains because like I said 85% of the team has been playing in the same system running the same plays on offense and defense since Jr. high 😂 but continue to think what you want to I hear what you’re saying about OTHER coaches but Coach Smith isn’t that…..

Return to “Football”