Ironton out of OVC in 2024.

XandOs
Varsity

Ironton out of OVC in 2024.

Post by XandOs »

Rumors swirling around town that Ironton was voted about by original OVC schools this week. Beginning 2023 Ironton will be independent again and it will be announced soon.

The message sent by leadership of these other schools is loud and clear. Ironton is better than us and instead of working hard to improve let’s take our ball and go home. If I’m a parent at one of these schools and I’ve raised a son/daughter who’s a competitor I would be very upset. Kids in Lawrence County who go to other schools feel inferior as it is. This will make things much worse. I do believe this will just cause more kids in area to look to leave and transfer when parents think they are good enough.

Not a good look.

HYGT 🐅
Last edited by XandOs on Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Re: Ironton voted out of OVC.

Post by formerfcfan »

Were they voted out because “Ironton is better than” them? Or is it the case that a possibly-poor working relationship on the administrative level between the two parties has an influence in this?

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

formerfcfan wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:00 am Were they voted out because “Ironton is better than” them? Or is it the case that a possibly-poor working relationship on the administrative level between the two parties has an influence in this?
I think it has to do with competition level going forward in foreseeable future.

Ironton is loaded in younger grades. This is just going to make it worse in my opinion. By doing this your putting Ironton on a pedestal.
Last edited by XandOs on Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

HERO
Riding the Bench

Post by HERO »

That’s going to mess up a lot of schools schedules in all sports if it’s true.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

If true, would like to know how the vote went. I would think it would take more than a simple majority vote to kick a school out of a conference. Likewise, FAC the only option I see for Ironton, and that would be nightmare for travel (distance and expenses). Any West Virginia or Kentucky conferences an option?*

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

If the OVC does push Ironton out and they do not fill them with another school, would the OVC look to the TVC to try and partner up for that staggering non conference week? The TVC Ohio has dealt with the issues of finding late season opponents for years now.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Been saying all season long this was coming and everyone wanted to scoff at it. Ironton has simply ruffled too many feathers with what’s been going on in terms of the large influx of players. There isn’t a single parent out there for these other schools upset over this decision if it’s true. They want their kids safe and have a chance at winning. Ppl complain that expanded playoffs increase injury risk so does Ironton playing most OVC schools. 16 seeds play 1s closer than most OVC scores vs Ironton. Now is this football only? Anyone from Ironton shouldn’t be upset either the 2 have just grown to far apart

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Most of the ovc was not a fit for them but shouldn’t Gallia, Portsmouth and fairland want to play them to get better. Everyone says you need to play better competition to make your team better. And who will replace them? A team everyone can beat like river valley or oak hill.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
Beergogglebluez
SE

art_vandelay wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:17 am If true, would like to know how the vote went. I would think it would take more than a simple majority vote to kick a school out of a conference. Likewise, FAC the only option I see for Ironton, and that would be nightmare for travel (distance and expenses). Any West Virginia or Kentucky conferences an option?*
I’d like to know the story too. So you tied 4-4 to talk with the SOC then have another vote to kick ironton out.

Pinwheel
JV Team

Post by Pinwheel »

Ironton is clearly better and let's face it, always has been for the most part,in football anyway ,but no one cares before they still played ,the difference now is everyone thinks it's the shady way they got so much better all of a sudden,I've said it before no one likes the way Pendleton runs things and thinks it's shady at the least.

Don't shoot the messenger lol. Good luck finding close games being independent,I'm guessing some miles going to be put on that greyhound

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I'm pretty sure that Portsmouth will continue to play Ironton, regardless of the OVC vote. The 2 schools have been playing each other for over 100 years.

MR305
Freshman Team

Post by MR305 »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:34 am Most of the ovc was not a fit for them but shouldn’t Gallia, Portsmouth and fairland want to play them to get better. Everyone says you need to play better competition to make your team better. And who will replace them? A team everyone can beat like river valley or oak hill.

I believe the article said they were voted out by the original schools. Not sure if Portsmouth or Gallipolis are considered "original " schools.

Beergogglebluez
SE

trojandave wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:42 am I'm pretty sure that Portsmouth will continue to play Ironton, regardless of the OVC vote. The 2 schools have been playing each other for over 100 years.
You would think but I thought Portsmouth and wheelersburg would be playing forever. But the ironton rivalry is the 2nd oldest in the state.

mustard
JV Team

Post by mustard »

If this is true, Ironton can only blame themselves. It started at when I was at the first OVC previews when pendleton took over, he took his kids out on the 50 and stomped around on Coal Grove's 50 yard line. This was a preview! No need for that disrespect.
I think that and him recruiting players that put them over a tremendous advantage over the other teams but mainly because he doesn't show respect to other programs who play who they have.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Would like to know how true this actually is. Assuming it is indeed true, I feel like the OVC may have another school already in mind to replace Ironton. Options seem slim though. Symmes Valley? May be too small. River Valley just left not long ago, why come back if they haven’t gotten anymore competitive. Oak Hill would make sense but not sure they’d be very competitive either. Don’t see them winning the OVC over the likes of CG, Fairland, Portsmouth or Gallia.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

If a team is voted out of the OVC it has to be voted on by all schools. In this situation im not sure if ironton would vote but the other 7 definitely would. I really doubt this would happen. CG, RH and maybe chesapeake would be the only schools to vote yes unless Ironton is becoming a cancer within the meetings and organization of the OVC moving forward.
Last edited by goUK on Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

How did the "original" schools of the OVC feel when Chesapeake dominated the conference in boys basketball for the better part of 15 years when Norm Persin was there? Year after year it was the Peake winning the title, with several undefeated seasons. I remember that there were games that were complete blowouts. They dominated the OVC more so than Fairland is doing now. Did Chesapeake have all home grown talent to sustain that level of dominance?

I bring that up because Ironton hasn't come close to the longevity of the once Chesapeake dynasty.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

trojandave wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:15 pm How did the "original" schools of the OVC feel when Chesapeake dominated the conference in boys basketball for the better part of 15 years when Norm Persin was there? Year after year it was the Peake winning the title, with several undefeated seasons. I remember that there were games that were complete blowouts. They dominated the OVC more so than Fairland is doing now. Did Chesapeake have all home grown talent to sustain that level of dominance?

I bring that up because Ironton hasn't come close to the longevity of the once Chesapeake dynasty.
100% true. They had kids from all over.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

Troll Alert!!!!!!!

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:36 am
art_vandelay wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:17 am If true, would like to know how the vote went. I would think it would take more than a simple majority vote to kick a school out of a conference. Likewise, FAC the only option I see for Ironton, and that would be nightmare for travel (distance and expenses). Any West Virginia or Kentucky conferences an option?*
I’d like to know the story too. So you tied 4-4 to talk with the SOC then have another vote to kick ironton out.
Thats why it makes no sense to me unless a simple majority vote all that is needed to kick a school out. Even then, one of Portsmouth, Fairland, South Point, or Gallia Academy would have had to change their vote from the 4-4 split just a couple weeks ago to explore SOC merger. I would think a unanimous vote would be required to kick a school out though, but who knows? Something just doesn't smell right with this.*

Return to “Football”