Ironton out of OVC in 2024.

Ironmen98
All State

Re: Ironton out of OVC in 2024.

Post by Ironmen98 »

wobycat wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:31 am
osu 77 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:21 am It just goes to show kids are transferring from many schools where football is better.
My guess is Burg will start reaching out to kids in the county now that this seems to be more and more the norm. OHSAA will probably lift any transfer restriction soon. With social media, it's harder to keep track and harder to have jurisdiction.
Agree policing transfers is a lost cause. It’s only going to get worse. Kids mimic what they see. College is basically free agency now , nba super teams , better get with the program

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Ironmen98 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:30 am
wobycat wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:27 am
Ironmen98 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:10 am

Does that change the fact that that kid should be in someone else’s school system ?

We won’t agree , I listed the facts so others can make up own minds.
What he's saying is Burg will always have a decent CB due to the surrounding areas. There are many kids who start at Burg, but they technically live in another district. For example, if you drive another two or three miles past the old grade school on dogwood ridge, you will be in south webster district but burg high school is the closer school to attend. Before open enrollment, those kids would have to wait on the webster bus to pick them up.

Whereas Ironton has had proven talent come in high school.

Yes both have increased CB, yet they are vastly different in context.
So technically burg is the beneficiary of students live in other school districts, but chose to attend burg over the greens and Websters.
Not so much green, patriot ridge is a very wealthy sub division and spaced out, so not many students actually come out, but webster and parts of sciotoville. It's a very weird in setup but it was set up before population growth obviously. Their student population is increased by this. Burg will have the occasional transfer in junior high. One of burgs basketball players came from webster in junior high.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Ironmen98 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:34 am
osu 77 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:21 am It just goes to show kids are transferring from many schools where football is better.
My guess is Burg will start reaching out to kids in the county now that this seems to be more and more the norm. OHSAA will probably lift any transfer restriction soon. With social media, it's harder to keep track and harder to have jurisdiction.
Agree policing transfers is a lost cause. It’s only going to get worse. Kids mimic what they see. College is basically free agency now , nba super teams , better get with the program
I think it's killing the college program. I think they need to return to closed enrollment. You can still win with your kids. Kirtland is the best example of that.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Ironmen98 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:28 am
RBH23 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:25 am
Ironmen98 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:17 am

Spin the numbers all you want. They’re posted, everyone can come to their own conclusion.
You are the one spinning the numbers, I’m explaining what they mean.

Here’s an example: a family can move into a school district with their high school son, and that counts as zero to the CB.

But a kid that went to a school k-12, but lives outside the district counts as 1 against CB.

In your mind, the second kid is a transfer and the first is not since the CB number says so! 🤦‍♂️
Not my formula , it’s the ohsaa that came to that conclusion.
The formula is what it is. Your interpretation of the number and conclusion drawn from it is faulty.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Beating that transfer dead horse again I see 😂 😂

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

RBH23 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:39 am
RBH23 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:25 am

You are the one spinning the numbers, I’m explaining what they mean.

Here’s an example: a family can move into a school district with their high school son, and that counts as zero to the CB.

But a kid that went to a school k-12, but lives outside the district counts as 1 against CB.

In your mind, the second kid is a transfer and the first is not since the CB number says so! 🤦‍♂️
The formula is what it is. Your interpretation of the number and conclusion drawn from it is faulty.
My interpretation doesn’t matter. Ohsaa statistics show Wheelersburg has benefited greatly from kids outside the district. No one’s mad about it.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Now that is something we agree on. From the pros on down, the mentality is “if you can’t beat them, join them”.

Bird and Magic would never have considered joining forces, while Lebron has spent a career doing so.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Ironmen98 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:41 am

My interpretation doesn’t matter. Ohsaa statistics show Wheelersburg has benefited greatly from kids outside the district. No one’s mad about it.
Exactly!! It’s OHSAA’s formula.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

LOL. You keep moving the goal posts!

The argument was pertaining to transfers, not kids who went to a school k-12.

You’re hiding behind the CB as defense for your assumption, but the assumption is wrong. As I explained, Ironton has kids that transferred in high school just for football that count as zero to their CB, while Burg has multi-generational kids that count as 1 to their CB.

The first is obviously a transfer (despite CB), the second is not. One was not developed through the school system, the other was not. One had no guarantee of being a football star or even playing while the other was a guarantee.

So back to my initial point, a school can win state titles without talented transfers to boost the roster. Burg has done it multiple times and I’m various sports.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

ohbuckeye2 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:39 am Beating that transfer dead horse again I see 😂 😂
No, I think it's a relative topic. How one perceives it is one thing but it definitely has its discussions. Look, it's no secret that Ironton's recent success has been aided by incoming impact players. Better players help regardless of the argument of how or when they get there.

I think it impacts our area more when students from neighboring schools move. There are only a certain amount of good players and even less amount of great ones. Removing team A's great player and putting them on a team B with their great player, makes it difficult for Team A to overcome.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

wobycat wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:39 am

I think it's killing the college program. I think they need to return to closed enrollment. You can still win with your kids. Kirtland is the best example of that.
Burg is not going to close their border, and those living on the border would be pissed if it happened. Would damage property value!

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

RBH23 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:48 am

You’re hiding behind the CB as defense for your assumption, but the assumption is wrong. As I explained, Ironton has kids that transferred in high school just for football that count as zero to their CB, while Burg has multi-generational kids that count as 1 to their CB.

The first is obviously a transfer (despite CB), the second is not. One was not developed through the school system, the other was not. One had no guarantee of being a football star or even playing while the other was a guarantee.

So back to my initial point, a school can win state titles without talented transfers to boost the roster. Burg has done it multiple times and I’m various sports.
Not sure about 1989 but 2017 they had quite a few players from other districts on the team. Always a plus .

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Ironmen98 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:51 am

Not sure about 1989 but 2017 they had quite a few players from other districts on the team. Always a plus .
Burg had closed borders in 1989; CB = 0.

In 2017, they had one kid that transferred into the school during high school. Rest of the kids started at Burg or had been at Burg for a long time.

LockHerUp
Freshman Team

Post by LockHerUp »

Ironmen98, I've been pointing this out to burgites for a while. Somehow, their kids from other districts are fine - while other schools are vile and evil for taking in kids from out of town.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

RBH23 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:10 am

Use it to your advantage . All good:

In 2017, they had one kid that transferred into the school during high school. Rest of the kids started at Burg or had been at Burg for a long time.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

LockHerUp wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:13 am Ironmen98, I've been pointing this out to burgites for a while. Somehow, their kids from other districts are fine - while other schools are vile and evil for taking in kids from out of town.
Yep 💯 numbers don’t lie

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

Ironmen98 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:14 am

No reason to explain. Use it to your advantage

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Ironmen98 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:15 am
LockHerUp wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:13 am Ironmen98, I've been pointing this out to burgites for a while. Somehow, their kids from other districts are fine - while other schools are vile and evil for taking in kids from out of town.
Yep 💯 numbers don’t lie
The numbers are not the problem, your understanding and interpretation is.

CB is not a good indicator of transfers. Why? Because if the family moves into the school district, the kid is a tier 0; adds nothing to the CB even though this is obviously a transfer.

So back to my point, Burg rarely gets high school transfers, and their CB number is mostly due to kids that have been in the systems from k-12. And yet they produce winning programs with their homegrown kids. Have won many state titles!

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Never said they are vile or evil. Said their program success, unlike Burg’s, depends on high school all starts they can get from other schools. And without those, their program would falter.

Specifically with Pendleton, I said he was smart going after kids outside Ironton’s system. The fans want a winner and no way can he produce one without pulling from the outside. He’s doing what is necessary to keep his job. Coaches at Burg don’t have to rely on the outside and pulling other schools high school stars to survive.

Return to “Football”