Round 3- #3. Bishop Watterson (11-1) Vs # 2. Jackson (10-2)

R.RSports
Waterboy

Re: Round 3- #3. Bishop Watterson (11-1) Vs # 2. Jackson (10-2)

Post by R.RSports »

jose wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:55 am
R.RSports wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:26 am
SE0PScommenter wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:01 am What does Jackson have to do to make that next step?
Honest question here. Does the FAC help or hurt the Ironmen? We talk up the conference each year but realistically, 1 maybe 2 teams get close to Jackson during conference play. Would Jackson benefit from being independent? I know that only opens the door for some tough sledding scheduling wise. I think its worth a look.
So you want to go independent just to benefit football? What about the other sports? Other sports are important as well. League championships do have value. Jackson is never winning a State Championship in football so why sacrifice the rest of the programs. Being a Independent is a nightmare for a School and it's Athletic Director. Some of your spring sports might only get in a handful games if weather is bad and other teams cancel on you. I could go on and on about the major disadvantages of being Independent.
I didn't say I wanted them to go Independent. I asked a question.

Jackson is 27-3 in the league all time. They have outscored their opponents 1357 to 363. They have 632 more net points than Chilli.

Where is the benefit? Confidence?

I'm not trying to throw any shade, just looking for a quality discussion.

jose
Freshman Team

Post by jose »

R.RSports wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:09 am

Honest question here. Does the FAC help or hurt the Ironmen? We talk up the conference each year but realistically, 1 maybe 2 teams get close to Jackson during conference play. Would Jackson benefit from being independent? I know that only opens the door for some tough sledding scheduling wise. I think its worth a look.
So you want to go independent just to benefit football? What about the other sports? Other sports are important as well. League championships do have value. Jackson is never winning a State Championship in football so why sacrifice the rest of the programs. Being a Independent is a nightmare for a School and it's Athletic Director. Some of your spring sports might only get in a handful games if weather is bad and other teams cancel on you. I could go on and on about the major disadvantages of being Independent.

Jackson is 27-3 in the league all time. They have outscored their opponents 1357 to 363. They have 632 more net points than Chilli.

And my comment was a answer to a quality discussion. Most sports teams go in cycles. Miami Trace was dominant for many years and haven't been for the past 10. Clinton Massie was awful for years and than became dominant than back to earth this year. Will Jackson stay dominant for the next 10 years-remains to be seen. FAC if it stays together and possible expansion will be competitive and a couple teams will eventually become contenders in football.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

the benefit of the FAC is the stability it’s shown as a conference in ALL sports. with the logistical nightmares for schools travels just not on friday nights but thru the week in both boys n girls sports at a minimum Jackson isn’t going to create theirselves a problem as a school district.

on the football side. Jackson plays as tough as a schedule weeks 1-5 as you’ll find. period. and it will be that way moving forward every year. we are at the end of year 2 in the new plan. As far as weeks 6-10 and FAC play. when jackson met WCH that was the #4 and #6 ranked teams in DIII Region 11 when chillicothe and Jackson played week 10. yet again. DIII Region 11 Top 8 matchup. was that happening year 1 of the FAC?? all of the other FAC schools have gotten ALOT better since they now face the Jackson Ironmen every year. also, throughout the course of the closing weeks of the season. it is nice to maybe play a lesser opponent to get some bodies healed up and younger players invaluable PT under the lights.

it amazes me to no end that since two years in a row the Regional Semi-Final game didn’t go Jackson’s way. that you reinvent the program top to bottom. haha. both 2021 2022 Jackson came up a tad short and honestly could’ve and should’ve won both games. it’s not like WB in 2021 or BW in 2022 blew Jackson off the field.

there’s no worries in Jackson. we trust the process. we know this is only year 2. the kids from top to bottom know the new goal. the current 6th-8th grade classes have it all
big athletic offensive lineman ,
oodles of skilled kids out in space , multiple downhill hard nosed stable of RBs, a room full of QBs , scrappyDline, LBs secondary. they have it all on both sides of the ball. and all they are gonna see as they come thru the program is Jackson/Ironton games that out ESPN Top Plays on College gameday on saturday mornings , battles with Burg, winning league titles

the schedule overhaul just didn’t affect friday nights it affected the entire program. and the FAC will continue to keep getting better every year too. cause Jackson says so.

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

Jackson loads up in the non conference schedule. What’s Jackson’s other options for a league ? I’m curious.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Jackson plays a pretty tough schedule. Some teams just have better athletes

R.RSports
Waterboy

Post by R.RSports »

countywide35 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:50 am

the benefit of the FAC is the stability it’s shown as a conference in ALL sports. with the logistical nightmares for schools travels just not on friday nights but thru the week in both boys n girls sports at a minimum Jackson isn’t going to create theirselves a problem as a school district.

on the football side. Jackson plays as tough as a schedule weeks 1-5 as you’ll find. period. and it will be that way moving forward every year. we are at the end of year 2 in the new plan. As far as weeks 6-10 and FAC play. when jackson met WCH that was the #4 and #6 ranked teams in DIII Region 11 when chillicothe and Jackson played week 10. yet again. DIII Region 11 Top 8 matchup. was that happening year 1 of the FAC?? all of the other FAC schools have gotten ALOT better since they now face the Jackson Ironmen every year. also, throughout the course of the closing weeks of the season. it is nice to maybe play a lesser opponent to get some bodies healed up and younger players invaluable PT under the lights.

it amazes me to no end that since two years in a row the Regional Semi-Final game didn’t go Jackson’s way. that you reinvent the program top to bottom. haha. both 2021 2022 Jackson came up a tad short and honestly could’ve and should’ve won both games. it’s not like WB in 2021 or BW in 2022 blew Jackson off the field.

there’s no worries in Jackson. we trust the process. we know this is only year 2. the kids from top to bottom know the new goal. the current 6th-8th grade classes have it all
big athletic offensive lineman ,
oodles of skilled kids out in space , multiple downhill hard nosed stable of RBs, a room full of QBs , scrappyDline, LBs secondary. they have it all on both sides of the ball. and all they are gonna see as they come thru the program is Jackson/Ironton games that out ESPN Top Plays on College gameday on saturday mornings , battles with Burg, winning league titles

the schedule overhaul just didn’t affect friday nights it affected the entire program. and the FAC will continue to keep getting better every year too. cause Jackson says so.
With the stable of talent that is on the way, do you foresee them getting better after the first 5 games of their non conference schedule? Or, do you see a regression? Guys that are banged up? Do you foresee them playing down to teams?

I believe Jackson is years ahead of every team in the FAC as it stands right now, even when its a top 10 regional match up, which is why you put 63 on CH.

I don't see it changing anytime soon. While Jackson reloads year in and year out, the other schools are typically on a cycle.

R.RSports
Waterboy

Post by R.RSports »

Ironmen98 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:10 am

Jackson loads up in the non conference schedule. What’s Jackson’s other options for a league ? I’m curious.
Not sure when you look at the grand scheme of things, Jackson is, in fact, in a league with schools their own size. So I think its hard to really narrow down the options for a more competitive conference.

Which is why the thought of going independent intrigues me.

In a perfect world. Going Independent would mean they can choose their "tough games" and their "cake walk games". Maybe instead of weeks 1-5, you can spread it out over the 10 week schedule. Like weeks 1-4-6-8-10 are your Ironton's, Burgs, Tri-Valleys. (Remember, I said in a perfect world. In reality this is a scheduling nightmare lol).

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

R.RSports wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:26 pm

Not sure when you look at the grand scheme of things, Jackson is, in fact, in a league with schools their own size. So I think its hard to really narrow down the options for a more competitive conference.

In a perfect world. Going Independent would mean they can choose their "tough games" and their "cake walk games". Maybe instead of weeks 1-5, you can spread it out over the 10 week schedule. Like weeks 1-4-6-8-10 are your Ironton's, Burgs, Tri-Valleys. (Remember, I said in a perfect world. In reality this is a scheduling nightmare lol).
Are you talking going independent in only football while every other sport remains in the FAC

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

I didn't read every word, but read the last couple posts.

I'm not sure some of you realize just how tough scheduling is against non-league opponents. Especially if you have had some success. (FYI - I'm not an AD or football coach).

I think Jackson is doing the best possible thing by having 5 tough non-league games and then 5 league games. You are battle tested but not all banged up and worn down come playoff time.

Tri-Valley has 3 non-league games and then 7 league games. Next few years John Glenn, Sheridan, and New Lex have some really talented classes so being challenged in league is probable and being beaten is possible. Coach wants 3 non-league games where kids have to battle but not completely overwhelmed. Week 1 is DeSales, week 2 is not yet signed off but Licking Heights would play again. Tri-Valley is open week 3. The teams contacting TV to play are D1 teams that have played in the final 4 in recent years. Tri-Valley has contacted many teams but they have no interest. Clinton Massie wants to find a closer opponent. Watterson can only do a 1 year deal and would like to play there. Tri-Valley checked about upgrading to Bloom Carroll week 2 but Bloom not interested with Harvest Prep week 1 and likely Hartley week 3.

There are 75 schools still hunting for week 3 games for next year according to ohio scheduler on twitter, but so far TV can't find a game.

wch125
All State

Post by wch125 »

teach1coach2 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:25 pm I didn't read every word, but read the last couple posts.

I'm not sure some of you realize just how tough scheduling is against non-league opponents. Especially if you have had some success. (FYI - I'm not an AD or football coach).

I think Jackson is doing the best possible thing by having 5 tough non-league games and then 5 league games. You are battle tested but not all banged up and worn down come playoff time.

Tri-Valley has 3 non-league games and then 7 league games. Next few years John Glenn, Sheridan, and New Lex have some really talented classes so being challenged in league is probable and being beaten is possible. Coach wants 3 non-league games where kids have to battle but not completely overwhelmed. Week 1 is DeSales, week 2 is not yet signed off but Licking Heights would play again. Tri-Valley is open week 3. The teams contacting TV to play are D1 teams that have played in the final 4 in recent years. Tri-Valley has contacted many teams but they have no interest. Clinton Massie wants to find a closer opponent. Watterson can only do a 1 year deal and would like to play there. Tri-Valley checked about upgrading to Bloom Carroll week 2 but Bloom not interested with Harvest Prep week 1 and likely Hartley week 3.

There are 75 schools still hunting for week 3 games for next year according to ohio scheduler on twitter, but so far TV can't find a game.
Good Post!

R.RSports
Waterboy

Post by R.RSports »

Ironman92 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:12 pm

Are you talking going independent in only football while every other sport remains in the FAC
Yes, just football.

jose
Freshman Team

Post by jose »

R.RSports wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:45 am

Yes, just football.
Go Independent than you might have to play the Moeller's etc. Obviously, you don't realize (how it has changed ) when you become good in a certain sport nowadays-most teams will not schedule you. A lot of coaches it is about wins and losses-pressure of being fired if you are not winning. Because of this just like in college you do not see the marquee match ups like we used too. I could give an example of someone who was on Jackson's schedule this year and loses everybody will not play the same schedule because now they know they are back to square 1 instead of being on top. So it is very difficult to come up with a good schedule especially in SE ohio.

R.RSports
Waterboy

Post by R.RSports »

jose wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:00 am
R.RSports wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:45 am

Yes, just football.
Go Independent than play the Moeller's etc. Obviously, you don't realize when you become good in a certain sport nowadays-most teams will not schedule you. So if you want to step up and play Big D1 schools go Independent.
Would playing D1 schools fill the schedule requirement of playing tough games that help you prepare for the playoffs? Jackson could find teams with similar success and size to play them. They are not on a level where everyone runs and hides from them.....yet

OleJackson
Waterboy

Post by OleJackson »

I’m sorry, but just why in the hell would Jackson want to leave the FAC in anything? They can play Wheelersburg and Ironton, and a couple others to beef up their schedule and then cruise through the FAC on the vast majority of years. Chillicothe or somebody might put up a little fight most years, but it’s mostly a gravy train.
Add to that the stability in all other sports, with most all being a competitive conference.
It would be downright stupid to consider leaving this conference.
I can understand why several schools might want Jackson out, in football. Who wants to drive an hour and a half to get beat by 50 points every other year?
I don’t even understand how this conversation got started.

R.RSports
Waterboy

Post by R.RSports »

OleJackson wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:05 am I’m sorry, but just why in the hell would Jackson want to leave the FAC in anything? They can play Wheelersburg and Ironton, and a couple others to beef up their schedule and then cruise through the FAC on the vast majority of years. Chillicothe or somebody might put up a little fight most years, but it’s mostly a gravy train.
Add to that the stability in all other sports, with most all being a competitive conference.
It would be downright stupid to consider leaving this conference.
I can understand why several schools might want Jackson out, in football. Who wants to drive an hour and a half to get beat by 50 points every other year?
I don’t even understand how this conversation got started.
You don't think the FAC being mostly a gravy train hurts them in the long run? Do you think it contributes to them not making it to a regional final?

There are some teams in the FAC where Jackson could do everything wrong and play their worst game and still win by 40...

LBD0263
Riding the Bench

Post by LBD0263 »

Jackson isn't going anywhere end of discussion!! This topic is pretty silly to even discuss after a tough loss. Get better stick to the coach's plan and have patience. We parents/fans can become spoiled because we are used to a standard of winning. It's tough in the playoffs much less win the region, if it wasn't every school would be making a run.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

[youtube][/youtube]
LBD0263 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:13 pm Jackson isn't going anywhere end of discussion!! This topic is pretty silly to even discuss after a tough loss. Get better stick to the coach's plan and have patience. We parents/fans can become spoiled because we are used to a standard of winning. It's tough in the playoffs much less win the region, if it wasn't every school would be making a run.
No one thinks they are. That was one posters opinion

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I don’t believe Jackson didn’t beat Bishop Watterson because their last 5 games didn’t have enough rigor. It was a game Jackson could’ve won….a 50/50 game of sorts. I give the schedule as 0% this season for not winning the regional semi or the region. This year, I tip my cap to Bishop Watterson.

Other years we are contenders we just can’t quite match up. Last year with Western Brown was a tough one and another opportunity. 2015 another chance, Zanesville was just flat out better. Back in the day against DeSales we lost our best lineman in school history on the first drive…about as big as losing Winters if that were to happen this year.

I don’t like the independent idea. Everyone already feels like football is everything and others don’t get the love, this would make it worse and I feel our town, our kids, our parents and our coaches relish the league titles and the All-FAC awards. We’ve been a great program for a long long time…it’ll continue. Those invested in it will keep working to figure how to get over the hump. I was a golfer, I don’t have the answers. Our schedule was tough…,how’d we demolish Granville? Something helped us there. Personally, I think last year was the year….this group of seniors had numerous kids really step up their game and went out big. Hurt not having a key receiver due to injury/sickness. I think this team achieved as hoped….had an opportunity to go above and beyond but nothing to hang a head about.

My opinion….seemed like we were more balanced early to mid season and then we got better and better and running attack and mostly became an excellent running team. I feel we need more balance knowing that Jackson typically doesn’t have the dominant athletes over the opposition…but we have great football players. At some point Jackson with their hard working athletes will eventually run into a team that can keep the running attack in check enough to win by the time they get to the sweet 16 or elite 8. 1998 team kind of proved that and they had a monster line with 3 of the best lineman at Jackson and a 4th that would be an all-district mention type lineman today and a 2200 yard rusher. Round of 16 though and it wasn’t enough. I believe to win a region and then compete in the semis/finals….needs to be a bit more balanced. Just my opinion.

I’ll end with….the team improved greatly on their weaknesses (penalties, holding, fumbles) and put on some of the most impressive products on the field that I’ve seen in all my years of watching JHS football. No issue from my seat.

R.RSports
Waterboy

Post by R.RSports »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:20 pm I don’t believe Jackson didn’t beat Bishop Watterson because their last 5 games didn’t have enough rigor. It was a game Jackson could’ve won….a 50/50 game of sorts. I give the schedule as 0% this season for not winning the regional semi or the region. This year, I tip my cap to Bishop Watterson.

Other years we are contenders we just can’t quite match up. Last year with Western Brown was a tough one and another opportunity. 2015 another chance, Zanesville was just flat out better. Back in the day against DeSales we lost our best lineman in school history on the first drive…about as big as losing Winters if that were to happen this year.

I don’t like the independent idea. Everyone already feels like football is everything and others don’t get the love, this would make it worse and I feel our town, our kids, our parents and our coaches relish the league titles and the All-FAC awards. We’ve been a great program for a long long time…it’ll continue. Those invested in it will keep working to figure how to get over the hump. I was a golfer, I don’t have the answers. Our schedule was tough…,how’d we demolish Granville? Something helped us there. Personally, I think last year was the year….this group of seniors had numerous kids really step up their game and went out big. Hurt not having a key receiver due to injury/sickness. I think this team achieved as hoped….had an opportunity to go above and beyond but nothing to hang a head about.

My opinion….seemed like we were more balanced early to mid season and then we got better and better and running attack and mostly became an excellent running team. I feel we need more balance knowing that Jackson typically doesn’t have the dominant athletes over the opposition…but we have great football players. At some point Jackson with their hard working athletes will eventually run into a team that can keep the running attack in check enough to win by the time they get to the sweet 16 or elite 8. 1998 team kind of proved that and they had a monster line with 3 of the best lineman at Jackson and a 4th that would be an all-district mention type lineman today and a 2200 yard rusher. Round of 16 though and it wasn’t enough. I believe to win a region and then compete in the semis/finals….needs to be a bit more balanced. Just my opinion.

I’ll end with….the team improved greatly on their weaknesses (penalties, holding, fumbles) and put on some of the most impressive products on the field that I’ve seen in all my years of watching JHS football. No issue from my seat.
Great post! I agree being more balanced could get you over the hump to win a regional title. Overall, I just thought it was a interesting topic to discuss.

Since Jackson is here to stay in the FAC, I would personally advocate for expansion. Add 2 more teams of similar caliber to Jackson, MT, WCH, and Chilli.

R.RSports
Waterboy

Post by R.RSports »

LBD0263 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:13 pm Jackson isn't going anywhere end of discussion!! This topic is pretty silly to even discuss after a tough loss. Get better stick to the coach's plan and have patience. We parents/fans can become spoiled because we are used to a standard of winning. It's tough in the playoffs much less win the region, if it wasn't every school would be making a run.
It was a simple question and discussion. No one said Jackson was leaving. No one said they want Jackson to leave. I asked if its possible that the last 5 games of the season had anything to do with not winning a regional title. I then asked if the idea of going independent to hand pick the schedule would produce a different outcome? (instead of top loading the schedule). Don't be so triggered man... its not that serious...

Return to “Football”