Round 3- #3. Bishop Watterson (11-1) Vs # 2. Jackson (10-2)

greygoose
SEOPS

Re: Round 3- #3. Bishop Watterson (11-1) Vs # 2. Jackson (10-2)

Post by greygoose »

Ironmen98 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:37 pm
greygoose wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:33 pm
Ironmen98 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:14 pm

Care to elaborate?
Play calling for the most part was simply too conservative, Jackson has a lot of athletes on that team and when Broermann and Wolford were struggling to get going a lot of times they just kept trying it instead of using them as decoys and make BW worry about much more than 2 players. Spread it out create voids, don't QB sneak over your center right at the biggest man on the field. Winters has the arm and is the senior QB the kid has a D1 scholarship, Wolford runs a 4.5 and is amazing in space, spread him out, I'd just rather take my chances with Winters arm and legs than I would packing it in and running at a brick wall for most of the night.
The sneak was easily a first down without the fumble. What was the run to pass ratio tonight ?
The sneak inside the 25 I believe it was? He didn't get the first down regardless. What 12 passes or so on the night I believe only 2 maybe 3 were on first down, typically the pass occurred when you knew the pass was coming. Hit Stapleton on a couple night PA slants.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Hate to see it end like that but great season overall for Jackson.*

SE0PScommenter
Riding the Bench

Post by SE0PScommenter »

What does Jackson have to do to make that next step?

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

With the Ironmen's season ending last night with an overall record of 10-3, with the 3 losses being by 1 point, 2 points, and 3 points, the combined of record of the 3 teams that they lost too as of last night was 34-4. Two of those teams will be playing next week in the Regional Finals. Disappointment no doubt, but still a pretty good season.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

VetteMan wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:08 am With the Ironmen's season ending last night with an overall record of 10-3, with the 3 losses being by 1 point, 2 points, and 3 points, the combined of record of the 3 teams that they lost too as of last night was 34-4. Two of those teams will be playing next week in the Regional Finals. Disappointment no doubt, but still a pretty good season.
Outstanding season. So much fun to watch. Great team.

Ironmen34
Varsity

Post by Ironmen34 »

Mulga Roadrunner wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:34 pm Jackson gets recruits year after year and has the best support system for any program in south east Ohio and yet can’t win a region. Something has to give there. All the talent over the years and always falls short. Has to be disappointing for the fan base.
What recruits did we get this year? I want to hear specific names

Ironmen34
Varsity

Post by Ironmen34 »

greygoose wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:27 am
Ironmen98 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:37 pm
greygoose wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:33 pm

Play calling for the most part was simply too conservative, Jackson has a lot of athletes on that team and when Broermann and Wolford were struggling to get going a lot of times they just kept trying it instead of using them as decoys and make BW worry about much more than 2 players. Spread it out create voids, don't QB sneak over your center right at the biggest man on the field. Winters has the arm and is the senior QB the kid has a D1 scholarship, Wolford runs a 4.5 and is amazing in space, spread him out, I'd just rather take my chances with Winters arm and legs than I would packing it in and running at a brick wall for most of the night.
The sneak was easily a first down without the fumble. What was the run to pass ratio tonight ?
The sneak inside the 25 I believe it was? He didn't get the first down regardless. What 12 passes or so on the night I believe only 2 maybe 3 were on first down, typically the pass occurred when you knew the pass was coming. Hit Stapleton on a couple night PA slants.
Can’t wait to see your resume get sent in next year for the head coaching job. State title here we come

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I actually thought Bishop Watterson was the slightly better team. Not an insult to anyone.

Lucky5
Waterboy

Post by Lucky5 »

I’m sorry but after the 1st drive bw made adjustments like stacking 10 guys in the box and daring Jackson to throw it. Very conservative play calling all night. I’m sure the safety #8 with 10 int’s on the year was probable a good reason to stick with the running game. But on the other hand why kick the ball to #8 knowing he also had multiple returns this year on kickoffs for td’s.

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

Was a great game to watch. Teams were very even I though but BW made a few more plays.

R.RSports
Waterboy

Post by R.RSports »

SE0PScommenter wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:01 am What does Jackson have to do to make that next step?
Honest question here. Does the FAC help or hurt the Ironmen? We talk up the conference each year but realistically, 1 maybe 2 teams get close to Jackson during conference play. Would Jackson benefit from being independent? I know that only opens the door for some tough sledding scheduling wise. I think its worth a look.

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

Jackson- wont ever get over the hump--until they get a new coach.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

vcgrad wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:43 am Jackson- wont ever get over the hump--until they get a new coach.
Vinton County couldn’t win the worst tvc in years. You may want to take your own advice.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Ironman92 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:45 pm As for the 2 point conversion…..

1. You never know how it will finish if we tie it up

2. Had an entire game worth of stuff….I’m not screaming about the conversion play

The WR was open enough and the throw a bit out of reach.

Personally as a former golfer…I wanted a handoff to Broermann. My buddy beside me wanted a pitchout to Wolford with Winters leading him into the end zone. Guy on my other side didn’t like Winters under center as he has to drop back and not able to see WR and unable to time it all out…..in a shot gun he sees it all the way. I don’t disagree with anyone and the play just didn’t work that time. It stunk but things definitely aren’t as easy as they seem in the stands. We applaud team Jackson and greatly enjoyed another very successful season.
Great game.

Fairly even teams who fought like heck.

When you're down to your "3rd" 2-point conversion play you're pretty deep. And the coach obviously made the right call as the two previous 2-point conversation gave them a shot to tie the game with only 3 scores (as opposed to Watterson's four scores).

Came darn close. Tough through, but he's a seriously talented kid so you always back your guy.

Great season. Heckuva run continues for JHS.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Just take McClain and Hillsboro out and bring in Wheelersburg and Ironton

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

R.RSports wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:26 am
SE0PScommenter wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:01 am What does Jackson have to do to make that next step?
Honest question here. Does the FAC help or hurt the Ironmen? We talk up the conference each year but realistically, 1 maybe 2 teams get close to Jackson during conference play. Would Jackson benefit from being independent? I know that only opens the door for some tough sledding scheduling wise. I think its worth a look.
As of right now, I think that Jackson is perfectly happy in the FAC. Every school in the FAC is Div-3 just like Jackson, other than Greenfield McClain which is Div-4. Unless some of the other schools would decide to leave the league, then I guess that all bets are off. I'm pretty sure that a few years ago when the SEOL folded, that Jackson tried getting into at least 2 or 3 other conferences, but were denied or voted down each and every time. I seem to remember that there was always a lot of talk about the fact that they wanted all the kids, boys and girls in all the other sports besides football, to also have the opportunity compete for league championships. This being one of the big problems in playing an independent schedule.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

VetteMan wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:44 pm
As of right now, I think that Jackson is perfectly happy in the FAC. Every school in the FAC is Div-3 just like Jackson, other than Greenfield McClain which is Div-4. Unless some of the other schools would decide to leave the league, then I guess that all bets are off. I'm pretty sure that a few years ago when the SEOL folded, that Jackson tried getting into at least 2 or 3 other conferences, but were denied or voted down each and every time. I seem to remember that there was always a lot of talk about the fact that they wanted all the kids, boys and girls in all the other sports besides football, to also have the opportunity compete for league championships. This being one of the big problems in playing an independent schedule.
I meant to say SEOAL folded.

jose
Freshman Team

Post by jose »

So you want to go independent just to benefit football? What about the other sports? Other sports are important as well. League championships do have value. Jackson is never winning a State Championship in football so why sacrifice the rest of the programs. Being a Independent is a nightmare for a School and it's Athletic Director. Some of your spring sports might only get in a handful games if weather is bad and other teams cancel on you. I could go on and on about the major disadvantages of being Independent.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

jose wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:55 am
So you want to go independent just to benefit football? What about the other sports? Other sports are important as well. League championships do have value. Jackson is never winning a State Championship in football so why sacrifice the rest of the programs. Being a Independent is a nightmare for a School and it's Athletic Director. Some of your spring sports might only get in a handful games if weather is bad and other teams cancel on you. I could go on and on about the major disadvantages of being Independent.
No one from Jackson is saying that. This is the time of year when other much less successful programs tell the winning programs what they need to do to win a title. You’re correct Jackson will never be favored to win a state title. The FAC is a great conference. Jackson was in the seoal for almost 100 years , they don’t jump conferences .

jose
Freshman Team

Post by jose »

Ironmen98 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:04 am
jose wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:55 am

No one from Jackson is saying that. This is the time of year when other much less successful programs tell the winning programs what they need to do to win a title. You’re correct Jackson will never be favored to win a state title. The FAC is a great conference. Jackson was in the seoal for almost 100 years , they don’t jump conferences .
Lol Glad to see some common sense. Some fans just don't get how hard it is to win a State Championship. When you get older-league championships mean a lot.

Return to “Football”