Why doesn’t Valley host Playoff games?

BuckeyeBond
Riding the Bench

Why doesn’t Valley host Playoff games?

Post by BuckeyeBond »

I was just curious if anyone knows why Valley doesn’t host neutral site playoff games? Is it because they don’t have a fence around the playing field or that they just don’t want to host them. IMO their isn’t a better place to play the West Portsmouth/Ironton game. But we now know it’ll be at Portsmouth. Portsmouth is a fine stadium but the parking isn’t the best and the concession stand food is awful. Valley has a beautiful stadium just as big as Portsmouth’s with a better visitors section. They also have 2 nice sized permanent concession stands on both sides of the stadium. They also just added the new field house with the indoor practice facility. But the parking Valley has is fantastic and is right at the stadium. So I was just wondering if it’s really the fence holding Valley back from hosting or do they just not want to host. Thanks for the input.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Re: Why doesn’t Valley host Playoff games?

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Why are you eating food at the concession stand when going to Portsmouth instead of hitting up the Ribber, Brew pub or Toro Loco? Anywho I don’t have an answer for your question. However I’ll add to it that I’m sure valley has a way better sound system, Portsmouth’s is terrible. Needs replaced, and their selection of music and weird noises is honestly annoying. Lol

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Valley always has playoff games. Maybe they thought Portsmouth was a better location for this game.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
Pinwheel
JV Team

Post by Pinwheel »

1percent would rather play at valley rather then Portsmouth,good morning to you 😂

Pinwheel
JV Team

Post by Pinwheel »

Not knocking valley they have a fantastic complex ,but they don't have the ribber and they do have a track around the field that puts you further from the game

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Pinwheel wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:57 am Not knocking valley they have a fantastic complex ,but they don't have the ribber and they do have a track around the field that puts you further from the game
Valley doesn’t have a track around their field. Imo one of the best stadiums in seo.

BigGuy10
Varsity

Post by BigGuy10 »

Dundas wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:05 am
Pinwheel wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:57 am Not knocking valley they have a fantastic complex ,but they don't have the ribber and they do have a track around the field that puts you further from the game
Valley doesn’t have a track around their field. Imo one of the best stadiums in seo.
Pregame food sure everyone wants to go to Portsmouth, but having played on both fields multiple times and game atmosphere wise, I'd rather play at Valley any day of the week! Beautiful field and no fence around the field makes it feel like the fans are even more part of the game

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

Guys, I can tell you one thing being on the other side of the games. It takes a tremendous amount of work, preparation, workers and cooridnation to host a playoff game. Its not as simple as, hey, let's host a game.

Fan of the youth
Freshman Team

Post by Fan of the youth »

I am curious. What revenue is a host school able to earn? I assume the schools can keep concessions and there was a time schools could charge parking if they have charged during the regular season as well. But are there any other streams that host sites and collect?

HERO
Riding the Bench

Post by HERO »

The state gives a little bit of money to host, not sure of amount.

You have to figure the schools, unless they get all volunteers, need to pay the ticket takers, announcer, clock operator, chain guys, pass gate or gates, parking people, and whoever is in charge of the refs and whoever is in charge of teams involved in the game.

You can charge for parking if you do it during the regular season and your concessions would also make some money.

Like Alabama Mike said it’s not an easy task to tackle

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

I dont know the answer but years ago it was about a lack of fence around the field. If that's the case then I hope valley never hosts a game unless they are hosting their own game. A waste high fence around a field wont prevent anything from happening. Silly rule if it is still the case.

You'd think with the new bypass it would be a fantastic location gor the southern most teams.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

You'd think a temporary snow fence or just some rope around the field would be considered a "fence" around the field. But not sure why Valley did not offer to host if they didn't. My guess would be not enough volunteers? Or maybe they did offer and the state just chose Portsmouth instead. Who knows.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Dundas wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:05 am
Portsmouth doesn't have a track around their field either.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

I would think If burg wins and doesn’t matter if it’s west or ironton the game will be at valley. I don’t see OHSAA giving west or ironton 2 straight weeks at Portsmouth

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:23 pm I would think If burg wins and doesn’t matter if it’s west or ironton the game will be at valley. I don’t see OHSAA giving west or ironton 2 straight weeks at Portsmouth
Pretty sure either Burg or Ironton played at Chillicothe back to back weeks a few years back. I wanna say it was Burg. Don’t think the OHSAA mind double dipping. Money is there either way.

RollCoal
JV Team

Post by RollCoal »

Coal Grove played Southeastern in the Regional Semifinal at Valley in 2017. Valley might not have put in to host for whatever reason. Portsmouth is a nice venue as well. It’s nice that our part of the state has some beautiful facilities for the student athletes as well as the parents and fans to enjoy.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and excepting a different result;
Albert Einstein
Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

If I remember correctly valley rented a fence one time and put up but I could be wrong I hope valley never adds a permanent fence but I agree valley does have one of the nicest stadiums

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:23 pm I would think If burg wins and doesn’t matter if it’s west or ironton the game will be at valley. I don’t see OHSAA giving west or ironton 2 straight weeks at Portsmouth
Burg played in chillicothe 2 or 3 times one year that doesn't matter.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

alabama mike wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:15 am Guys, I can tell you one thing being on the other side of the games. It takes a tremendous amount of work, preparation, workers and cooridnation to host a playoff game. Its not as simple as, hey, let's host a game.
This is true I'm sure it takes a lot to do these games, but at the same time the same teams put in to do it every year so they must be making enough money from it

OVC
JV Team

Post by OVC »

Coal Grove had a playoff game with Chillicothe Southeastern a few years ago. My guess is location. For those teams, it was the perfect location. Not so much for others

Contemplating all life choices and loyalties…

Return to “Football”