Wheelersburg 2023

RBH23
S

Re: Wheelersburg 2023

Post by RBH23 »

XandOs wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 12:18 pm
RBH23 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:26 am [quote=XandOs post_id=2066160 time=<a href="tel:1684505317">1684505317</a> user_id=17160]
Are they really that talented. It’s not like they are pulling in 5 stars from Florida. They are getting Southern Ohio kids that have 0 offers when they get to Ironton and then leading them to 3 state championship appearances in 4 years. He’s been to more state championship games in last 4 years than burg has in the schools rich football history. Since Ohio has played football. Schools south of
I 70 and east of 23 to play football only a handful have played in championship games and Ironton is far and away the most accomplished. Facts! #HYGT🐅
Yes, they were that talented. Keyes, Carter, and Perkins were considered in the top 35 of all Ohio seniors last year regardless of school size. No other school in Ohio had those numbers; and no other D5 school had any in the top 35.

With that much talent, it’s criminal that Ironton didn’t win the state in D5. Something was significantly wrong for them to not only lose state but to lose convincingly to a team with less talent.

Btw, Burg is still the last team in SEO to win state. Get back to me when Ironton does that again. Might be a long time…

https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Footb ... l&State=oh
You’re still not answering my question. You’re dancing around the truth. Where are those kids ranked let’s say Wheelersburg coach has them? Carter didn’t play a snap as a junior?, Perkins had an average season at best as a junior. Keyes didn’t start on either side of ball until junior year and barely rushed for 1,000 yds both years and all three still made it to play major college football. It’s the coaching staff, the program, and past history that do it for Ironton.

I’ll bet that 90% of college coaches can’t tell you where Wheelersburg is but I bet they have heard of Ironton. Ironton is rich in football history all the way to the NFL. I had a coach at Ironton tell me way back when. Ironton is the destination in Southern Ohio for recruiting. Majority of college coaches stop here and then get out and head back to the big cities.
[/quote]

If those kids played at Burg? Burg wins state.

As for Ironton developing them, can take credit for Carter, but the others were guns for hire brought in to help Ironton finally win something (already developed). However, Carter’s exposure and recognition came from going to camps not actually due to playing for Ironton’s varsity team. To your point, he had many offers as a sophomore and hadn’t done much at the high school level to that point. Credit for his development goes to the junior high and pee wee coaches, not as much to Pendleton.

There was a time when Ironton was a big time program but not anymore. They were once a D3 power, now they are just a good D5 school dependent on bringing in lots of transfers to compete. Not the same town or team as “way back when”.

Plus, no one knows where Ironton is on the map. I live in the Cincy area; people here have no clue. Only town they are familiar with is Portsmouth and that’s because the town is listed on the state map when the news talks weather.

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

RBH23 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:26 am
XandOs wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:08 am Are they really that talented. It’s not like they are pulling in 5 stars from Florida. They are getting Southern Ohio kids that have 0 offers when they get to Ironton and then leading them to 3 state championship appearances in 4 years. He’s been to more state championship games in last 4 years than burg has in the schools rich football history. Since Ohio has played football. Schools south of
I 70 and east of 23 to play football only a handful have played in championship games and Ironton is far and away the most accomplished. Facts! #HYGT🐅
Yes, they were that talented. Keyes, Carter, and Perkins were considered in the top 35 of all Ohio seniors last year regardless of school size. No other school in Ohio had those numbers; and no other D5 school had any in the top 35.

With that much talent, it’s criminal that Ironton didn’t win the state in D5. Something was significantly wrong for them to not only lose state but to lose convincingly to a team with less talent.

Btw, Burg is still the last team in SEO to win state. Get back to me when Ironton does that again. Might be a long time…

Burgs only made it out of their region like 3 or 4 times in the last 15 years 😂

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

packers80 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:08 pm
RBH23 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:36 am
wobycat wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:20 am Congrats to burg winning the softball,baseball SOC and track SOC (co-champs with minford)
In track, the boys were co-champs with Minford, but didn’t the girls win it outright?
Ordinary kids doing extraordinary things. Go BURG.
Only making it out of your own region 3 times in the last 15 years is extroidinary?

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

RBH23 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 12:36 pm
RBH23 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:26 am [quote=XandOs post_id=2066160 time=<a href="tel:1684505317">1684505317</a> user_id=17160]
Are they really that talented. It’s not like they are pulling in 5 stars from Florida. They are getting Southern Ohio kids that have 0 offers when they get to Ironton and then leading them to 3 state championship appearances in 4 years. He’s been to more state championship games in last 4 years than burg has in the schools rich football history. Since Ohio has played football. Schools south of

You’re still not answering my question. You’re dancing around the truth. Where are those kids ranked let’s say Wheelersburg coach has them? Carter didn’t play a snap as a junior?, Perkins had an average season at best as a junior. Keyes didn’t start on either side of ball until junior year and barely rushed for 1,000 yds both years and all three still made it to play major college football. It’s the coaching staff, the program, and past history that do it for Ironton.

I’ll bet that 90% of college coaches can’t tell you where Wheelersburg is but I bet they have heard of Ironton. Ironton is rich in football history all the way to the NFL. I had a coach at Ironton tell me way back when. Ironton is the destination in Southern Ohio for recruiting. Majority of college coaches stop here and then get out and head back to the big cities.

As for Ironton developing them, can take credit for Carter, but the others were guns for hire brought in to help Ironton finally win something (already developed). However, Carter’s exposure and recognition came from going to camps not actually due to playing for Ironton’s varsity team. To your point, he had many offers as a sophomore and hadn’t done much at the high school level to that point. Credit for his development goes to the junior high and pee wee coaches, not as much to Pendleton.

There was a time when Ironton was a big time program but not anymore. They were once a D3 power, now they are just a good D5 school dependent on bringing in lots of transfers to compete. Not the same town or team as “way back when”.

Plus, no one knows where Ironton is on the map. I live in the Cincy area; people here have no clue. Only town they are familiar with is Portsmouth and that’s because the town is listed on the state map when the news talks weather.
[/quote]

I said College Coaches not a drunk sitting at a bar in downtown Cincinnati. Trevor Carter didn’t go to any camps at all. 🤣🤣🤣

You are clueless and just hate Pendleton and Ironton so much that it fogs your ability to think clearly. Trever Pendleton resume 5 years into his coaching career is as good or better than anyone you know or anyone else knows. What he is doing is better than the Legend Lutz himself through 5 years.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

XandOs wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:28 pm
RBH23 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 12:36 pm

I said College Coaches not a drunk sitting at a bar in downtown Cincinnati. Trevor Carter didn’t go to any camps at all. 🤣🤣🤣

You are clueless and just hate Pendleton and Ironton so much that it fogs your ability to think clearly. Trever Pendleton resume 5 years into his coaching career is as good or better than anyone you know or anyone else knows. What he is doing is better than the Legend Lutz himself through 5 years.
[/quote]

I live in Cincinnati. Have friends who coach here, who are connected with the GCL schools, colleges, and even the pro sports teams. I’m certain about what I know with regards to Ironton’s reputation in this area. You have a massively inflated opinion of Ironton that is not shared by the big city areas of Ohio. Hell, for that matter, my friends that attended MAC conference high schools are not that familiar with Ironton either.

I have don’t like or dislike Pendleton; don’t know the man. I give him credit for what he does good on the field and comment on what is not; as all of us do who follow sports.

He’s done a great job of turning Ironton football around. He was quick to understand that Ironton needs a constant infusion of talent to remain relevant. Kudos to him for making that happen.

Now comparing him to Lutz is a bit premature. Lutz actually won state titles at a time when Ironton was competing against much bigger schools. Lutz would never have gotten blown out 30-0, and out-coached, by Kirtland. Also would not have lost so badly to South Range. Pendleton has a ways to go before he can carry Lutz’s jockstrap.

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

Ironton was also almost double the size of the school then as it is now. Coach Lutz never went to 3 championship games in 4 years. Pendleton has a long way to go to get to Lutz. I can tell you Lutz was beat bad on championship games too. Mentor Lake thumped us. The 3 teams Ironton has lost to are 3 of the best small school teams the state has ever had. Kirtland is a top 20 program in state no matter the division. I’m not so sure that last years South Range team wouldn’t had beat Kirtland and MSML. Coldwater played MSML tough. Liberty Center beat Coldwate by 30+ in Regional game last year then South Range blows out Liberty Center. Ironton scored 28pts on South Range in title game. That’s the most they gave up all season. South Range beat Perry, Mooney and others real bad. They were legit.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

XandOs wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 2:11 pm Ironton was also almost double the size of the school then as it is now. Coach Lutz never went to 3 championship games in 4 years. Pendleton has a long way to go to get to Lutz. I can tell you Lutz was beat bad on championship games too. Mentor Lake thumped us. The 3 teams Ironton has lost to are 3 of the best small school teams the state has ever had. Kirtland is a top 20 program in state no matter the division. I’m not so sure that last years South Range team wouldn’t had beat Kirtland and MSML. Coldwater played MSML tough. Liberty Center beat Coldwate by 30+ in Regional game last year then South Range blows out Liberty Center. Ironton scored 28pts on South Range in title game. That’s the most they gave up all season. South Range beat Perry, Mooney and others real bad. They were legit.
You do realize that MLC team is one of the best in the history of Ohio high school football? Ten kids in that senior class played college ball. A few went D1. And one played in the NFL! Pendleton’s never faced a team remotely close to that one!

Coldwater had some serious injuries going into the playoffs. I believe they were on their 3rd string QB. Marion Local beat them 35-0 last season. ML and Kirtland were basically even, and given Kirtland’s success against South Range, I would have taken Kirtland in that matchup.

That said, South Range was a good team, but no D1 players. Ironton had more talent but didn’t play like it. Hence why I disagree that Lutz would have gotten beat that badly, especially given the talent advantage.

Oldtimer55
Riding the Bench

Post by Oldtimer55 »

RBH23 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 2:46 pm
XandOs wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 2:11 pm Ironton was also almost double the size of the school then as it is now. Coach Lutz never went to 3 championship games in 4 years. Pendleton has a long way to go to get to Lutz. I can tell you Lutz was beat bad on championship games too. Mentor Lake thumped us. The 3 teams Ironton has lost to are 3 of the best small school teams the state has ever had. Kirtland is a top 20 program in state no matter the division. I’m not so sure that last years South Range team wouldn’t had beat Kirtland and MSML. Coldwater played MSML tough. Liberty Center beat Coldwate by 30+ in Regional game last year then South Range blows out Liberty Center. Ironton scored 28pts on South Range in title game. That’s the most they gave up all season. South Range beat Perry, Mooney and others real bad. They were legit.
You do realize that MLC team is one of the best in the history of Ohio high school football? Ten kids in that senior class played college ball. A few went D1. And one played in the NFL! Pendleton’s never faced a team remotely close to that one!

Coldwater had some serious injuries going into the playoffs. I believe they were on their 3rd string QB. Marion Local beat them 35-0 last season. ML and Kirtland were basically even, and given Kirtland’s success against South Range, I would have taken Kirtland in that matchup.

That said, South Range was a good team, but no D1 players. Ironton had more talent but didn’t play like it. Hence why I disagree that Lutz would have gotten beat that badly, especially given the talent advantage.
I was at the Ironton vs Mentor Lake Catholic game. It was my first time to see Jermon Jackson and he got injured on his first carry and never returned. The MLC future Penn State and NFL wide receiver was a load for sure!

irontonwizard
Freshman Team

Post by irontonwizard »

🤣🤣🤣
That Mentor Lake Catholic teams was probably the best team Ironton has ever played in the history of football at Ironton. Lutz is the best there is, best there was, and best there ever will be. Pendleton does a good job though.
Go Tigers!

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

irontonwizard wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:11 pm
🤣🤣🤣
That Mentor Lake Catholic teams was probably the best team Ironton has ever played in the history of football at Ironton. Lutz is the best there is, best there was, and best there ever will be. Pendleton does a good job though.
Go Tigers!
Pendleton has done a good job, but Ironton was on a completely different level back then playing teams with talent that Pendleton has not come close to seeing in D5.

And the Kirtland and South Range teams Ironton has lost to recently wouldn’t come close to being the best small school teams in the history of Ohio.
- Carlos Snow CAPE teams. Not much depth but incredible speed, plus one of the best RBs in the nation.

- Ben Mauk Kenton teams. That offense was way ahead of its time. Mauk set national passing records during those years.

- Germantown Valley View teams in the mid 90’s.

- Coldwater 2013/14 teams. Columbus Hartley was D5 those two years, yet couldn’t get past Canton Central Catholic or, the state champ those years, Coldwater. In 2015, Hartley moved to D4 and won the state title.

- 2017 Marion Local. MaxPreps had them #11 in the state of Ohio regardless of school size.

Of course there were other great small school teams (NC, ML, Kirtland, Mooney, Ursuline, etc) over the years, but these teams above were really special. And as good as Kirtland and South Range have been the past 3-4 years, they didn’t have the overall talent that the teams above had.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Burg finished up spring weights with a good amount of gains. Almost time for spring sports to end and summer football to begin. Each year brings new excitement.

LockHerUp
Freshman Team

Post by LockHerUp »

Since it's a burg thread, I'll start by saying that I think they are the best-coached team in southern Ohio. I think it's probably true that - given Ironton's team - the burg staff might have won a state title or two by now. And, while they rarely have D1 talent, burg kids are always talented and disciplined. I'm sure they'll be the same this year.
As for the argument - which I've seen a few times - that Pendleton went to the finals 3 times in 4 years or whatever...and Lutz never did that. Lutz went in '88, '89, 92', and '93. That's 4 times in 6 years, in a higher classification, with one win, and lost two heartbreakers. Not a knock on Pendleton - but he's nowhere near Lutz at the present time.

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

LockHerUp wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:00 am Since it's a burg thread, I'll start by saying that I think they are the best-coached team in southern Ohio. I think it's probably true that - given Ironton's team - the burg staff might have won a state title or two by now. And, while they rarely have D1 talent, burg kids are always talented and disciplined. I'm sure they'll be the same this year.
As for the argument - which I've seen a few times - that Pendleton went to the finals 3 times in 4 years or whatever...and Lutz never did that. Lutz went in '88, '89, 92', and '93. That's 4 times in 6 years, in a higher classification, with one win, and lost two heartbreakers. Not a knock on Pendleton - but he's nowhere near Lutz at the present time.
We were comparing first 5 years to Lutz first 5 years. Pendleton has had a better start to his career than Lutz. We all know he has a long way to go to reach Legend status. But his first 5 years as HC and never really being an assistant is as good as anyone.

LockHerUp
Freshman Team

Post by LockHerUp »

There are other variables to consider. In his first 5 years, Lutz made it to one final - and made the playoffs one other time. Everything was more difficult back then. There were literally 12 teams in the entire state that made the playoffs (4 from A, AA, and AAA). If today's playoffs and classifications were in effect during Lutz's 1st 5 years, who knows what he could've done. Again, no knock on Pendleton...

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

LockHerUp wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:23 am There are other variables to consider. In his first 5 years, Lutz made it to one final - and made the playoffs one other time. Everything was more difficult back then. There were literally 12 teams in the entire state that made the playoffs (4 from A, AA, and AAA). If today's playoffs and classifications were in effect during Lutz's 1st 5 years, who knows what he could've done. Again, no knock on Pendleton...
Pendletons teams have been the top point team in division 5 each of last 4 years. So he would have made it each of the 4. Comparing the start of their careers Pendleton has been more successful. You’re also forgetting about the St. Joe years.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

XandOs wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:33 am
LockHerUp wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:23 am There are other variables to consider. In his first 5 years, Lutz made it to one final - and made the playoffs one other time. Everything was more difficult back then. There were literally 12 teams in the entire state that made the playoffs (4 from A, AA, and AAA). If today's playoffs and classifications were in effect during Lutz's 1st 5 years, who knows what he could've done. Again, no knock on Pendleton...
Pendletons teams have been the top point team in division 5 each of last 4 years. So he would have made it each of the 4. Comparing the start of their careers Pendleton has been more successful. You’re also forgetting about the St. Joe years.
Here’s the big difference:

Pendleton has had as much or more talent than Lutz’s teams while also playing against teams with significantly inferior talent.

Over the past four years, Pendleton hasn’t faced a single team with more talent or talent even close to what Ironton currently has. He has not seen a Randy Moss, Carlos Snow, Vinnie Clark, Joe Jurevicius, etc.

It’s scary to imagine how Lutz would dominate with Ironton’s current talent against Ironton’s current schedule.

LockHerUp
Freshman Team

Post by LockHerUp »

The St. Joe years were maybe even more impressive, considering how small the school was, yet still winning like he did. I just disagree with your assessment. Maybe I'm biased - having played for Lutz. But, Lutz did what he did with way less talent than Pendleton has had. Unfortunately, the Tigers have underachieved in the last few years in the biggest games. Lutz teams rarely underachieved. I'll take Lutz 100% of the time...
But, this is a burg thread. I'm finished with this. We'll have to agree to disagree.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

LockHerUp wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 10:02 am The St. Joe years were maybe even more impressive, considering how small the school was, yet still winning like he did. I just disagree with your assessment. Maybe I'm biased - having played for Lutz. But, Lutz did what he did with way less talent than Pendleton has had. Unfortunately, the Tigers have underachieved in the last few years in the biggest games. Lutz teams rarely underachieved. I'll take Lutz 100% of the time...
But, this is a burg thread. I'm finished with this. We'll have to agree to disagree.
I withhold from calling Pendleton a great coach until I can see what he can do with no incoming transfers. His best year may have been his first one.

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

RBH23 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:53 am

Pendleton has had as much or more talent than Lutz’s teams while also playing against teams with significantly inferior talent.

Over the past four years, Pendleton hasn’t faced a single team with more talent or talent even close to what Ironton currently has. He has not seen a Randy Moss, Carlos Snow, Vinnie Clark, Joe Jurevicius, etc.

It’s scary to imagine how Lutz would dominate with Ironton’s current talent against Ironton’s current schedule.

talent? What are you guys talking about. Coach Lutz teams were loaded with talent.

1982 team had the entire backfield go division one. Snyder, Bacon, Smith and can’t remember the other guy. Coach Lutz had just as much talent or more back in the day. The reason they were in higher classification is the town was much bigger. Enrollment went way down. Look at what’s happened to Portsmouth. That could have easily been Ironton. Coach Lutz also took over a successful program from another HOF coach in Bob Bruney. He built the program up and left a loaded squad to coach Lutz. Pendleton was left with an almost empty cupboard. He basically had to start from scratch.

The Mentor team you talk about being so good. The team they beat had Walt Delong (Ohio State), Wolfgang Kratzenburg (Ohio U.) Joe Leith (Ivy league) blocking for Jermon Jackson ( Ohio State). We had 3 D1 Lineman and a D1 Tailback and got whipped.

Ironton just played Moeller 2 years ago and Moeller made it to semi-finals that year.

Haters going to hate. We will see when the dust settles.

#HYGT

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

XandOs wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 10:14 am
RBH23 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:53 am

You guys are clueless.

1982 team had the entire backfield go division one. Snyder, Bacon, Smith and can’t remember the other guy.

The Mentor team you talk about being so good. The team they beat had Walt Delong (Ohio State), Wolfgang Kratzenburg (Ohio U.) Joe Leith (Ivy league) blocking for Jermon Jackson ( Ohio State).

Ironton just played Moeller 2 years ago and Moeller made it to semi-finals that year.

Haters going to hate. We will see when the dust settles.

#HYGT
The MLC team had ten kids in that class play college ball. Joe V played 10 years in the NFL!! Considered to be one of the top Ohio high school teams of all time!

Now let’s look at who was on the Ironton roster that got beat 30-0 by Kirtland (a team whose best player is playing college ball at John Carrol):

- Carrico (OSU)
- Carter (UC)
- Keyes (WF)
- Duncan (Miami)
- Washington (UK)
- Barnes (Marshall)

Talk about a loaded backfield and loaded team!! Six D1 athletes against zero for Kirtland. Safe to say that Ironton team had more D1 athletes than the Ironton team that faced MLC, while Kirtland had far fewer than MLC.

I don’t know of any scholarships that South Range players have picked up, but let’s look at Ironton’s seniors alone for this year:
- Keyes
- Carter
- Perkins
- Barnes
- Felder

That’s five D1 scholarship players. More than what the Ironton team had that played against MLC. Difference again is that SR did not have MLC’s talent or roster. Not even close.

So the current Ironton teams do not appear to possess lesser talent than the Ironton teams from the past that you mentioned, but the opponents are far more inferior.

Return to “Football”