Freshman Team

Past Ironton v valley View games

Post by BigBoneJerome »

Anyone go to the past games? We’re they good

FightingTiger99
JV Team

Re: Past Ironton v valley View games

Post by FightingTiger99 »

Went to the one I think it was 93 at Welcome Dayton stadium. Ironton won. Met a few vv fans b4 game. Good folks. State cops surrounded Ironton side as time ticked away in fear of the field being rushed. Cold night. Great crowd. Good game. Nice stadium. Easy travel.

Ironton 29

Valley View 9

Final.

inOVCsider
Riding the Bench

Post by inOVCsider »

THATS River Rat Football

Giorgio Tsoukalous
JV Team

Post by Giorgio Tsoukalous »

I've attended every matchup, with the 99' game being the biggest come from behind victory I've ever witnessed. Ironton had no answer for their Qb ( passing game ) I remember the score being around 27-0 at the half. 1st series of the 2nd half Ironton broke the VV Qb's leg. I'm thinking the 2 defensive ends each picked up a leg and brutally slammed the QB to the ground. ( I'm thinking it was Henry- Ohio University, and Harmon- Michigan State, and Every play the rest of the game the VV offense lost yards. If memory serves me right, Ironton won 34-27. Had the VV Qb stayed healthy I believe VV easily wins the 99' state championship, but as fate would have it, the 1999 Sandusky Perkins Pirates won it all, and that year was the 1st time they had ever made the playoffs. On their March to the state championship the Tigers beat Cincinnati Wyoming, Cincinnati Loveland, Germantown Valley View, and #1
State ranked Youngstown Cardinal Mooney, and lost on a last second 50 yard pass in double coverage to the Perkins Pirates. Just an interesting fact...Ironton lost to all 3 pirate teams they faced that year. Wheelersburg Pirates, Belfry Pirates, and Perkins Pirates. It was a great run by a very talented team. 1 crazy play determined who won the state championship. It was the 1st year the OHSAA took 8 teams from each region, and with a 6-3 record, the Ironton Tigers made the playoffs as a #8 seed. Ironton was the 1st ever #8 seed to play in a state championship game. Just my opinion after watching every Ironton game that season, they should've been 9-0 going into the playoffs. Ironton had the worst luck I have ever seen in all 3 pirate games. It was truly a great team. And also Ironton went for it ( with the lead ) on 4th and 1 with less than a minute left, (the video clearly shows they got the 1st down), but the officials said turnover on downs, and the Perkins Pirates throw a bomb to win a state title, and the hearts of Ironton fans everywhere were broken.
Last edited by Giorgio Tsoukalous on Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

I'm pretty sure every team in the final 4 are no slouch. I dont know about the 1999 team tho.

99Tigers
Waterboy

Post by 99Tigers »

Giorgio Tsoukalous wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:00 am I've attended every matchup, with the 99' game being the biggest come from behind victory I've ever witnessed. Ironton had no answer for their Qb ( passing game ) I remember the score being around 27-0 at the half. 1st series of the 2nd half Ironton broke the VV Qb's leg. I'm thinking the 2 defensive ends each picked up a leg and brutally slammed the QB to the ground. ( I'm thinking it was Henry- Ohio University, and Harmon- Michigan State, and Every play the rest of the game the VV offense lost yards. If memory serves me right, Ironton won 34-27. Had the VV Qb stayed healthy I believe VV easily wins the 99' state championship, but as fate would have it, the 1999 Sandusky Perkins Pirates won it all, and that year was the 1st time they had ever made the playoffs. On their March to the state championship the Tigers beat Cincinnati Wyoming, Cincinnati Loveland, Germantown Valley View, and #1
State ranked Youngstown Cardinal Mooney, and lost on a last second 50 yard pass in double coverage to the Perkins Pirates. Just an interesting fact...Ironton lost to all 3 pirate teams they faced that year. Wheelersburg Pirates, Belfry Pirates, and Perkins Pirates. It was a great run by a very talented team. 1 crazy play determined who won the state championship. It was the 1st year the OHSAA took 8 teams from each region, and with a 6-3 record, the Ironton Tigers made the playoffs as a #8 seed. Ironton was the 1st ever #8 seed to ever play in a state championship game. Just my opinion after watching every Ironton game that season, they should've been 9-0 going into the playoffs. Ironton had the worst luck I have ever seen in all 3 pirate games. It was truly a great team. And also Ironton went for it ( with the lead ) on 4th and 1 with less than a minute left, (the video clearly shows they got the 1st down), but the officials said turnover on downs, and the Perkins Pirates throw a bomb to win a state title, and the hearts of Ironton fans everywhere were broken.
I was a senior on the '99 team. we were down 21-3 at half. Ended up winning 37-28.Henry hit their QB, who ended up having a hip pointer. We beat Cin. Wyoming (at Wyoming), Cin. Indian Hills (@ Portsmouth), Valley View (@ Princeton), Y-town Cardinal Mooney (@Zanesville), then the heartbreaker in Massilon to Sandusky Perkins. Horrible end to a great run.

Giorgio Tsoukalous
JV Team

Post by Giorgio Tsoukalous »

99Tigers wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:37 am
Giorgio Tsoukalous wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:00 am I've attended every matchup, with the 99' game being the biggest come from behind victory I've ever witnessed. Ironton had no answer for their Qb ( passing game ) I remember the score being around 27-0 at the half. 1st series of the 2nd half Ironton broke the VV Qb's leg. I'm thinking the 2 defensive ends each picked up a leg and brutally slammed the QB to the ground. ( I'm thinking it was Henry- Ohio University, and Harmon- Michigan State, and Every play the rest of the game the VV offense lost yards. If memory serves me right, Ironton won 34-27. Had the VV Qb stayed healthy I believe VV easily wins the 99' state championship, but as fate would have it, the 1999 Sandusky Perkins Pirates won it all, and that year was the 1st time they had ever made the playoffs. On their March to the state championship the Tigers beat Cincinnati Wyoming, Cincinnati Loveland, Germantown Valley View, and #1
State ranked Youngstown Cardinal Mooney, and lost on a last second 50 yard pass in double coverage to the Perkins Pirates. Just an interesting fact...Ironton lost to all 3 pirate teams they faced that year. Wheelersburg Pirates, Belfry Pirates, and Perkins Pirates. It was a great run by a very talented team. 1 crazy play determined who won the state championship. It was the 1st year the OHSAA took 8 teams from each region, and with a 6-3 record, the Ironton Tigers made the playoffs as a #8 seed. Ironton was the 1st ever #8 seed to ever play in a state championship game. Just my opinion after watching every Ironton game that season, they should've been 9-0 going into the playoffs. Ironton had the worst luck I have ever seen in all 3 pirate games. It was truly a great team. And also Ironton went for it ( with the lead ) on 4th and 1 with less than a minute left, (the video clearly shows they got the 1st down), but the officials said turnover on downs, and the Perkins Pirates throw a bomb to win a state title, and the hearts of Ironton fans everywhere were broken.
I was a senior on the '99 team. we were down 21-3 at half. Ended up winning 37-28.Henry hit their QB, who ended up having a hip pointer. We beat Cin. Wyoming (at Wyoming), Cin. Indian Hills (@ Portsmouth), Valley View (@ Princeton), Y-town Cardinal Mooney (@Zanesville), then the heartbreaker in Massilon to Sandusky Perkins. Horrible end to a great run.

You guys were a great team, and I enjoyed watching your playoff run that year. Thanks for giving a few details about the score, injury, etc... my memory isn't what it used to be, and hard to remember details after all these years and games, but one thing I haven't forgot was the atmosphere that night. Before smart phones, and live TV broadcast availability for highschool games, more people showed up to watch. It was a packed house.

kantucky
Varsity

Post by kantucky »

State ranked Youngstown Cardinal Mooney, and lost on a last second 50 yard pass in double coverage to the Perkins Pirates. Just an interesting fact...Ironton lost to all 3 pirate teams they faced that year. Wheelersburg Pirates, Belfry Pirates, and Perkins Pirates. It was a great

They were going to beat us and beat us bad until their quarterback was knocked out of the game. When I see him running to his left in a sweep I thought oh yeah I can’t remember the boys name I think you said it hit him because I knew he was gonna knock the slobber knocker out of him. I have never seen a team fall apart like that did over one player. And it wasn’t just their office that fell apart, so did their defense.

The ‘99 wasn’t the most talented and the athletic group that Ironton ever had but I believe it is one of the hardest hitting teams I ever seen there. They won games by knocking people down and hard. They laid licks down

Well, Who Wouldn't Love Them Fighting Tigers?!
LockHerUp
Freshman Team

Post by LockHerUp »

I believe Ironton also played without one of their better players that post season - Reggie Arden (sp?). I think I remember Lutz said after the game (something to the effect of), "I know they're going to say they were without their QB. But, we're playing without Arden."
Ya gotta keep playing. And they didn't.

Return to “Football”