D6 State Championship Kirtland vs Marion Local

Steely Dan
SEOP

Re: D6 State Championship Kirtland vs Marion Local

Post by Steely Dan »

Great game by both teams, they were extremely well coached, fundamentally sound, and so closely matched. Really enjoyed it.

Doing someone else's Dirty Work....
oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

Congratulations Hornets on another stellar season!

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

greygoose wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:07 pm
Kirtland80 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:59 pm ML is about the only team we can’t wear down in the second half
You guys can't run it well enough against them to stay on the field, you guys are used to those long drives
No passing game to at least keep them a little honest

Svcguru
Freshman Team

Post by Svcguru »

fbnut wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:18 pm
Kirtland80 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:59 pm ML is about the only team we can’t wear down in the second half
You guys can't run it well enough against them to stay on the field, you guys are used to those long drives
Can’t believe the only option for a school like Kirtland is a freshman Qb

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Congrats Kirtland on yet "another" outstanding season. Not the result that you were hoping for, but a great effort against a very good opponent. Truly a shame that either team had to come out on the losing side of this matchup.

TheFlyingDutchman
JV Team

Post by TheFlyingDutchman »

Congrats Flyers and asst coach Laden Delawder(Rock Hill alum) on a great championship season !!!

Otto
JV Team

Post by Otto »

Svcguru wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:26 pm

Well he is the coach's son, which explains it all. Really makes you wonder if he was truly the best option, or if it was an ego move for the coach.

Personally, I wouldn't start a freshman at QB unless I thought he was the next Joe Burrow and showed it on the field.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

The advantage to having the QB be the coach’s son, when you’re a state power, is the coach has a more direct line to the on-field game manager and more opportunities to impress accountability into the kid.

Kid didn’t do great, but it’s doubtful Kirtland had anyone else who’d do better.

Ff3233
All Conference

Post by Ff3233 »

Otto wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:31 pm

Well he is the coach's son, which explains it all. Really makes you wonder if he was truly the best option, or if it was an ego move for the coach.

Personally, I wouldn't start a freshman at QB unless I thought he was the next Joe Burrow and showed it on the field.
Your first paragraph explains what you don't know about kirtland.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Ff3233 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:07 pm
Not a great game by coach laverde either. 2 timeouts in 2nd half they used weren't good. 3rd and 28 on defense and 4th and 8 debating about whether catch was good or not. Too many delay of games and why not send 10 on that last punt? He's a great coach, maybe one of the best. But not his day today.
He would have really benefited from having you on staff to help him out today.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

formerfcfan wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:41 pm The advantage to having the QB be the coach’s son, when you’re a state power, is the coach has a more direct line to the on-field game manager and more opportunities to impress accountability into the kid.

Kid didn’t do great, but it’s doubtful Kirtland had anyone else who’d do better.
A lot easier to play a freshman at QB for a team like Kirtland when you have a good defense and you run the ball 95% of the time. Rarely does Kirtland run into a team like they did today who just shut the run down and he needed to throw and that he simply wasn't able to do. The throws were pre-determined for sure but told who to throw to and with the wind just a bad combination.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Tell everyone you are an idiot without actually stating it.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Not a great game by coach laverde either. 2 timeouts in 2nd half they used weren't good. 3rd and 28 on defense and 4th and 8 debating about whether catch was good or not. Too many delay of games and why not send 10 on that last punt? He's a great coach, maybe one of the best. But not his day today.
Was that your only complaints on his coaching?? The 3rd and 28 TO was called by his MLB not the coach, and the one on 4th and 8 I think was taken in hopes of them deciding to replay the 3rd down catch and it didn't happen. Should've just taken the penalty as they were punting either way. However, I wouldn't knock a guy down for it. ML defense was simply too much this year for all teams and lock down in the state title game

Otto
JV Team

Post by Otto »

Pol pot wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:07 pm

Oh really? Sounds like you think nepotism doesn't exist. It's basic human nature. No one is above wanting to see their family do well.

Let's be absolutely honest here - ask yourself, if the kid was just a normal freshman, with no family ties to the coach, would he have been the starting QB?

Probably not. And it's ok to admit that.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Otto wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:15 pm
Pol pot wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:07 pm

Oh really? Sounds like you think nepotism doesn't exist. It's basic human nature. No one is above wanting to see their family do well.

Let's be absolutely honest here - ask yourself, if the kid was just a normal freshman, with no family ties to the coach, would he have been the starting QB?

Probably not. And it's ok to admit that.
Hey I won't lie that was my first thought, especially when his brother was a senior on the team which would be the only time in their playing career they could've been on the field at the same time. I just figured well he's only handing off so I guess that makes it easier.

Ff3233
All Conference

Post by Ff3233 »

greygoose wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:09 pm
Was that your only complaints on his coaching?? The 3rd and 28 TO was called by his MLB not the coach, and the one on 4th and 8 I think was taken in hopes of them deciding to replay the 3rd down catch and it didn't happen. Should've just taken the penalty as they were punting either way. However, I wouldn't knock a guy down for it. ML defense was simply too much this year for all teams and lock down in the state title game
He's an awesome coach and that is the smallest of sample size to say differently. Yes 41 called the timeout on the 3rd and 28 and yes he should've taken the delay on the 4th down. But he did struggle today and yes most if not all of it was because of ML and the other worldly defense. When you're not used to being put in those type of situations all coaches can struggle. Was just an observation not a condemnation. I've said the same things about our staff numerous times. Great season for both teams and both defenses were great

Ff3233
All Conference

Post by Ff3233 »

Pol pot wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:05 pm
He would have really benefited from having you on staff to help him out today.
Not at all. He's a great coach. Just thought he struggled today. ML had alot to do with it. Just an observation which is what I thought message boards are for.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Some good teams there in tough conditions. ML looked like a college team, minus the size. Kirkland incredible efforts and some plays

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

LaVerde has how many state championships, and someone watching him from home accuses him of nepotism for starting his freshman son at qb? Do you think he would sacrifice a shot at another state title just so his sons could both play? 😂😂😂 Schools like Kirtland and Marion Local don’t play daddy ball.

Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

Lol tiger is one of the best coaches in Ohio history at any level

Return to “Football”