"Babies and Memories."

FightingTiger99
JV Team

"Babies and Memories."

Post by FightingTiger99 »

Reading through threads on this site today made me remember a scene in the movie friday night lights. If you know, you know. What I always remember about that scene in the movie is how the writer expressed the vast difference in perspectives regarding school, hometown, & football, between the kids doing and the adults observing. Did a great job hilighting how unrelated the two differing perspectives really were and the similarity to that here is uncanny. So many posters here have such a dated perspective.

Remember, "babies and memories" got an eyeroll. 😉

KCol
Freshman Team

Re: "Babies and Memories."

Post by KCol »

FightingTiger99 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:06 pm Reading through threads on this site today made me remember a scene in the movie friday night lights. If you know, you know. What I always remember about that scene in the movie is how the writer expressed the vast difference in perspectives regarding school, hometown, & football, between the kids doing and the adults observing. Did a great job hilighting how unrelated the two differing perspectives really were and the similarity to that here is uncanny. So many posters here have such a dated perspective.

The movie is not a good depiction of what Odessa really was back then, nor is it even accurate in some of the details -- yes, I understand some of that stuff is done for Hollywood, but for example, Boobie Miles wore 35 throughout his high school career, not 45. The 45 was worn by Chris Comer who is featured as 42 in the movie. Another example is it had Odessa Permian playing in the state championship game against Dallas Carter at the Astrodome, when they actually played in the state semifinals at Texas Stadium in Austin.

It is still a great football movie because it captures the emotions of what high school football, and now sports in general, do to people in America. It keeps people hanging on -- either to their seat at the game or to their lives as the game provides an outlet, a release that you can't really get any other way in the moment if you are a sports fan.

You are correct in the premise that parents and fans live vicariously through the kids of the community, and the Southern Ohio community does do it more than others, but overall, I think that American culture lives vicariously through the kids of the community in everything that is done, especially sports. It's not just exclusive to Southern Ohio like you are always suggesting with the various accounts you have created.

The Buzz Bissinger-written book, however, was accurate in its portrayal of Odessa back when it was written. That book is truly fascinating. I thought the movie was outstanding -- and then I read the book and it was so good I couldn't put it down.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

FightingTiger99 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:06 pm Reading through threads on this site today made me remember a scene in the movie friday night lights. If you know, you know. What I always remember about that scene in the movie is how the writer expressed the vast difference in perspectives regarding school, hometown, & football, between the kids doing and the adults observing. Did a great job hilighting how unrelated the two differing perspectives really were and the similarity to that here is uncanny. So many posters here have such a dated perspective.

Not sure if you've seen it or not but you need to watch the TV series Friday Night Lights, it's based in Texas and has so many things in it that big time schools face. From coaches not winning, to school boards wanting a certain coach, to transfers and recruiting, football only seeing all school funding, 1 city 2 teams one is viewed as great one is viewed as a redheaded stepchild.

FightingTiger99
JV Team

Post by FightingTiger99 »

greygoose wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:03 pm

Not sure if you've seen it or not but you need to watch the TV series Friday Night Lights, it's based in Texas and has so many things in it that big time schools face. From coaches not winning, to school boards wanting a certain coach, to transfers and recruiting, football only seeing all school funding, 1 city 2 teams one is viewed as great one is viewed as a redheaded stepchild.
I have. I like it. Its a good lil show.

Return to “Football”