Ironton needs out of OVC (in football)

greygoose
SEOPS

Re: Ironton needs out of OVC (in football)

Post by greygoose »

Nigel Tufnel wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:35 pm I keep reading about schedule strength arguments (does it help or not). I would just add that this was the schedule Kirtland (who of course defeated Ironton twice in the finals recently) played this year:

8/19 A Harvey (5-5) [III:9] W 34-8
8/26 H Lutheran West (10-2) [III:10] W 21-0
9/2 H Beachwood (2-8) [V:17] W 52-6
9/9 A West Geauga (2-8) [III:9] W 42-0
9/16 H Geneva (8-4) [III:9] W 43-13
9/23 A Chagrin Falls (4-6) [V:17] W 38-6
9/30 H Perry (11-3) [V:17] W 36-16
10/7 A Lakeside (6-5) [II:5] W 35-8
10/14A Edgewood (6-5) [IV:13] W 44-0
10/21H Orange (0-10) [IV:13] W 42-0

This is five non-playoff teams, two teams that lost their first-round matchups, two that lost in the second round, and one regional finalist (who lost to South Range 21-49). As anyone can see, they were not seriously challenged (at least in terms of final score) in any regular season games. This schedule is very similar (nearly the exact same) they have been playing during their entire run as a top program the past decade or so.
Is this schedule appreciably better than Ironton's schedule? I'm not arguing a team-by-team comparison of the two schedules, but not playing a murderer's row schedule does not hurt Kirtland. And Kirtland is one of the gold standard programs in Ohio (certainly from DIV-DVII).
Certainly, communities are different (income level, enrollment patterns, other factors), but Kirtland is comparable to where Ironton wants to be obviously. Clearly, there is more to it than challenge of schedule.
I see a DVI team who played 5 teams that were DII or DIII and not a single team from their own division. Now if you actually look at the team that won the title Marion Local you see a team that beat 4 teams with 11 wins or more including a title championship team in New Bremen and 2 other teams that won 8 and 9 games. Even one of the teams that finished 5-7 in St. John's, who was the 12 seed, beat a 9-2 5th seeded Arlington team 55-24. So, while they don't need a murder's row schedule playing 7 teams from the OVC simply get them nowhere. Ironton total points 326 in OVC play or 46 PPG, compared to 67 points given up or 9.5 a game with 35 of that coming against Fairland and Gallia. It's been like this or worse for the past few years in league play. Last state title run in covid shortened year 5 OVC games 275 points scored; 26 points given up. 2019--332 points for, 34 points given up. Those numbers are mind blowing in 3 state title runs during OVC play Ironton has totaled 933 points in 19 games or 49 points a game and have given up 128 points in that same time or 6.7 PPG.

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

Why would Ironton ever want to leave the OVC? They win almost every year and end up in 1st or 2nd place in the computer points that allows them to play two home games!

fielddaddy
JV Team

Post by fielddaddy »

osu 77 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:07 am Why would Ironton ever want to leave the OVC? They win almost every year and end up in 1st or 2nd place in the computer points that allows them to play two home games!
It’s not Ironton per say.
It’s more certain fans the OVC doesn’t do enough to prepare Ironton for the state tittle game.
Making it to the tittle game 3 out of 5 years is quite a feat but they want to win it not just be in it.

gobucs20
Freshman Team

Post by gobucs20 »

For Ironton to win the state they need to schedule non conference as tough as possible. Quit getting beat on the los on both side of the ball. And most importantly stop with the turnovers and dumb penalties

mustard
JV Team

Post by mustard »

gobucs20 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:45 pm For Ironton to win the state they need to schedule non conference as tough as possible. Quit getting beat on the los on both side of the ball. And most importantly stop with the turnovers and dumb penalties
And keep recruiting the best players off the other surrounding teams!

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

mustard wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:23 pm
gobucs20 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:45 pm For Ironton to win the state they need to schedule non-conference as tough as possible. Quit getting beat on the Los on both sides of the ball. And most importantly stop with the turnovers and dumb penalties
And keep recruiting the best players from the other surrounding teams!
Then you have proof that they recruit and you are making the drive to the OHSAA office to turn in said proof or is this a case of accusing without any proof?

mustard
JV Team

Post by mustard »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:50 pm
mustard wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:23 pm
gobucs20 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:45 pm For Ironton to win the state they need to schedule non-conference as tough as possible. Quit getting beat on the Los on both sides of the ball. And most importantly stop with the turnovers and dumb penalties
And keep recruiting the best players from the other surrounding teams!
Then you have proof that they recruit and you are making the drive to the OHSAA office to turn in said proof or is this a case of accusing without any proof?
:lol: When I was a kid I stole some baseball cards from a convenient store. Oh wait no I didn’t because no one drove to the police and reported me. So I guess I didn’t.

Return to “Football”