Ironton needs out of OVC (in football)

SciotoCfootball
Varsity

Ironton needs out of OVC (in football)

Post by SciotoCfootball »

If Ironton wants to compete for state championships they need to get out of the OVC asap and go independent (in football). Every season in the OVC they have at least 4, sometimes 5 blowout wins. What does that do for your team?! They need to face teams that actually challenge them and prepare them for games like today. Build a schedule where you become used to adversity.. Because a schedule that makes you more used to easy blowout wins than adversity will never get you a state championship.
Last edited by SciotoCfootball on Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ff3233
All Conference

Re: Ironton needs out of OVC

Post by Ff3233 »

SciotoCfootball wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:47 pm If Ironton wants to compete for state championships they need to get out of the OVC asap and go independent (in football). Every season in the OVC they have at least 4, sometimes 5 blowout wins. What does that do for your team?! They need to face teams that actually challenge them and prepare them for games like today. Build a schedule where you become used to adversity.. Because a schedule that makes you more used to easy blowout wins than adversity will never get you a state championship.
Unless they're willing to travel 2 and 3 hours it won't matter. Neo and swo just better in all regions. No escaping it

SciotoCfootball
Varsity

Ff3233 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:52 pm
SciotoCfootball wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:47 pm If Ironton wants to compete for state championships they need to get out of the OVC asap and go independent (in football). Every season in the OVC they have at least 4, sometimes 5 blowout wins. What does that do for your team?! They need to face teams that actually challenge them and prepare them for games like today. Build a schedule where you become used to adversity.. Because a schedule that makes you more used to easy blowout wins than adversity will never get you a state championship.
Unless they're willing to travel 2 and 3 hours it won't matter. Neo and swo just better in all regions. No escaping it
Honestly I could see them making a trip or two like that each season.. Put that nice charter bus to use. Pendleton wants that state championship, I don't think a 2 or 3 hour drive will halt his pursuit of that and Ironton will definitely support him if he makes the decision to schedule a couple games like such.

Kurgan74
JV Team

Post by Kurgan74 »

It will be tough to leave the OVC unless the OVC for some reason would agree to allow Oronton to be in all but football.

The 2 to 3 hour trips on Fridays for football might not be bad, but traveling to Columbus for games on school nights for other athletic contests would be hard on the athletes and the budget.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Wouldn't have made a difference against Kirtland last few years, or against South Range today.*

SciotoCfootball
Varsity

Kurgan74 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:00 pm It will be tough to leave the OVC unless the OVC for some reason would agree to allow Oronton to be in all but football.

The 2 to 3 hour trips on Fridays for football might not be bad, but traveling to Columbus for games on school nights for other athletic contests would be hard on the athletes and the budget.
That's why I mentioned only in football in first post, should have put it in headline as well. The OVC seems just fine for all other sports, but for football it's starting to become pretty obvious that it's not a good fit. The OVC is pretty lopsided in general when it comes to football.

FightingTiger99
JV Team

Post by FightingTiger99 »

Been saying it for 2 years and I get banned for it. Lol. Probably not practically possible tho

Aarden77
Waterboy

Re: Ironton needs out of OVC (in football)

Post by Aarden77 »

No question ironton needs to leave the ovc for football. Keep playing burg, jackson, Gallia and portsmouth. Get some strong passing teams on there learn how to stop a passing attack. Who cares if you have to travel play the best teams you can find. Irontons got some good talent coming up they'll be back

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

This poor horse has been dead for so long let it rest

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
I-TownFanatic
Freshman Team

Post by I-TownFanatic »

All home games Sat in the tank so the entire county can come support
Schedule
Burg
Jackson
Ashland KY
Johnson Central KY
Raceland KY
Huntington WV
a MAC team
DeSales
Kirtland
Burg again (new rival)

end
portsmouth
rock hill
gallia
OVC

I-TownFanatic
Freshman Team

Post by I-TownFanatic »

#WEREADY2023

Moses Guthrie
Varsity

Post by Moses Guthrie »

I-TownFanatic wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:27 pm All home games Sat in the tank so the entire county can come support
Schedule
Burg
Jackson
Ashland KY
Johnson Central KY
Raceland KY
Huntington WV
a MAC team
DeSales
Kirtland
Burg again (new rival)

end
portsmouth
rock hill
gallia
OVC
End playing the Trojans huh..?

Otto
JV Team

Post by Otto »

I would add Clinton Massie to the above list. They were slightly down this past season, but they usually are a consistently good team that is not too far away.

Also Steubenville would probably agree to a game, but they don't like to travel, so you would have to go to their place.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

I like the idea of Burg twice but they have to keep playing Portsmouth.

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

You won’t get a MAC team that late in the year with how their conference scheduling is

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
SciotoCfootball
Varsity

mattash wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:14 pm I like the idea of Burg twice but they have to keep playing Portsmouth.
Agree the Ironton/Portsmouth series doesn't need to go anywhere, lots of history that should be respected. As far as playing Burg twice are there schools that have scheduled the same team twice in regular season? Never seen that before.

KCol
Freshman Team

Post by KCol »

East and Green scheduled each other twice in both 2013 and 2014 I believe. East also played South Gallia twice during the regular season and then again in the playoffs this year.

FightingTiger99
JV Team

Post by FightingTiger99 »

Burg
Jackson
Huntington
John cent
Spring valley
Cabell midland
Raceland
Gw
Capital
South charleston
Portsmouth
Ashland

Add a cpl north central or north east ohio ooc's. Plenty to choose from to make up a solid indy schedule.

Ff3233
All Conference

Post by Ff3233 »

Great season for Ironton. But no schedule you can play where they're located will prepare you for what they faced today or previously in state championship games. No wv team outside of Martinsburg or maybe spring valley can compare to neo or swo teams. Just the way it is. Same for us at ff. Need the horses to be able to win the race.

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

I don’t think it will really matter it’s hard to schedule when you’re not in a conference I don’t see any seo team competing with the big dogs no matter what only way they are winning a championship is if it’s a really down year for everyone else

Return to “Football”