Ironton needs out of OVC (in football)

wobycat
SEOPS

Re: Ironton needs out of OVC (in football)

Post by wobycat »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:49 pm When I was in the press box at the state finals some reporters up there were saying Ironton wanted out of the league but the league would not accommodate them. I listened but did not partake in the conversation.
My assumption is they will let them out but no just for football, which is what they are probably wanting is my guess.

eagle one
Freshman Team

Post by eagle one »

SciotoCfootball wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:47 pm If Ironton wants to compete for state championships they need to get out of the OVC asap and go independent (in football). Every season in the OVC they have at least 4, sometimes 5 blowout wins. What does that do for your team?! They need to face teams that actually challenge them and prepare them for games like today. Build a schedule where you become used to adversity.. Because a schedule that makes you more used to easy blowout wins than adversity will never get you a state championship.
stupid what if argument up again they just played in 3 out of the last 4 finals bob lutz never managed that

SciotoCfootball
Varsity

Post by SciotoCfootball »

eagle one wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:53 am
SciotoCfootball wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:47 pm If Ironton wants to compete for state championships they need to get out of the OVC asap and go independent (in football). Every season in the OVC they have at least 4, sometimes 5 blowout wins. What does that do for your team?! They need to face teams that actually challenge them and prepare them for games like today. Build a schedule where you become used to adversity.. Because a schedule that makes you more used to easy blowout wins than adversity will never get you a state championship.
stupid what if argument up again they just played in 3 out of the last 4 finals bob lutz never managed that
Not sure what Lutz has to do with what I was talking about, and blowout wins didn't help them get to 3 out of last 4. Bringing up how blowout wins do not benefit a team doesn't take anything away from their recent success, just points out a what if on whether or not a more competitve schedule would help them. The more competitive a schedule the more it will help a team grow is all I was saying. In football Ironton has dominated the bottom half of the OVC in recent years and that doesn't benefit anyone.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

SciotoCfootball wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:35 pm
Not sure what Lutz has to do with what I was talking about, and blowout wins didn't help them get to 3 out of last 4. Bringing up how blowout wins do not benefit a team doesn't take anything away from their recent success, just points out a what if on whether or not a more competitve schedule would help them. The more competitive a schedule the more it will help a team grow is all I was saying. In football Ironton has dominated the bottom half of the OVC in recent years and that doesn't benefit anyone.
The theory that “playing a tougher schedule makes a team better” only holds true if said team makes improvements. Looking back at Ironton’s last three playoff losses, here are the issues that stuck out:
- Ironton got beat along the OL and DL in 2 of the 3 games.
- Too many IHS penalties in all three games.
- Too many turnovers in all three games.

Ironton could schedule Kirtland, Marion Local, Moeller, etc next year, but if the issues above are not addressed, the results will not change regardless of competition.

SciotoCfootball
Varsity

Post by SciotoCfootball »

RBH23 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:50 pm

The theory that “playing a tougher schedule makes a team better” only holds true if said team makes improvements. Looking back at Ironton’s last three playoff losses, here are the issues that stuck out:

Ironton could schedule Kirtland, Marion Local, Moeller, etc next year, but if the issues above are not addressed, the results will not change regardless of competition.
I feel like playing a tougher schedule could help with making those improvements, present more teaching moments with coaches. As mentioned on here the struggles with LOS for Ironton in state games seem to be from fundamentals and technique, instead of size.. seeing that more throughout season could give them opportunities to address things that they otherwise wouldn't usually see. Penalties and turnovers seem to happen more when they face adversity, so I think those areas would also have more of a chance to improve compared to OVC. The coaches and players absoutely have to execute and make the improvements or it doesn't matter regardless, but they should have a better shot at doing so with tougher competition. The classic iron sharpens iron.

fielddaddy
JV Team

Post by fielddaddy »

SciotoCfootball wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:09 pm

I feel like playing a tougher schedule could help with making those improvements, present more teaching moments with coaches. As mentioned on here the struggles with LOS for Ironton in state games seem to be from fundamentals and technique, instead of size.. seeing that more throughout season could give them opportunities to address things that they otherwise wouldn't usually see. Penalties and turnovers seem to happen more when they face adversity, so I think those areas would also have more of a chance to improve compared to OVC. The coaches and players absoutely have to execute and make the improvements or it doesn't matter regardless, but they should have a better shot at doing so with tougher competition. The classic iron sharpens iron.
Playing better competition is always key.
Big difference playing against a line from Chesapeake and one from Johnson central.
A line from Rock Hill or Coal Grove than a Cincinatti team or a Lexington Kentucky team.
Even a Portsmouth line fails in comparison to a strong Division 2 or 3 team like Jackson.
A upgrade in competition is always key and with 16 teams making the playoffs now is where it don't hurt to lose to larger teams just need to make sure one can win enough to make the playoffs.
Where do they go what do they do who knows scheduling would be a problem in other sports or maybe not,
The last 4 games of Football may be though.
Ohio has roughly or so independent schools most Div III or higher and I'm sure Kentucky with having District games as many to.
West Virginia I'm not sure of.
We all know Ahsland and Ironton are at a stand still playing in football but they play other sports together.
I don't believe going independent would be as bad for the other sports.
Just need to upgrade the competition to where Ironton can get better and not hit that lull where they don't have the skill to play against to be better.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

fielddaddy wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:46 pm
SciotoCfootball wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:09 pm

Playing better competition is always key.
Big difference playing against a line from Chesapeake and one from Johnson central.
A line from Rock Hill or Coal Grove than a Cincinatti team or a Lexington Kentucky team.
Even a Portsmouth line fails in comparison to a strong Division 2 or 3 team like Jackson.
A upgrade in competition is always key and with 16 teams making the playoffs now is where it don't hurt to lose to larger teams just need to make sure one can win enough to make the playoffs.
Where do they go what do they do who knows scheduling would be a problem in other sports or maybe not,
The last 4 games of Football may be though.
Ohio has roughly or so independent schools most Div III or higher and I'm sure Kentucky with having District games as many to.
West Virginia I'm not sure of.
We all know Ahsland and Ironton are at a stand still playing in football but they play other sports together.
I don't believe going independent would be as bad for the other sports.
Just need to upgrade the competition to where Ironton can get better and not hit that lull where they don't have the skill to play against to be better.
Burg won state title in 2017 despite playing a schedule no better than Ironton’s schedule this year. Every game was a blowout during the regular season, yet that Burg team held their own along the OL/DL in the playoff games.

Why has Burg not continued that success? Has nothing to do with schedule, but simply due to Burg not having the same talent and depth in recent years compared to the 2017 team.

Ironton most certainly has not had the lack of talent problem that Burg has to compete with the best; if Kirtland coach had Ironton’s talent, he would have won the last two state titles he coached.

The fixes to their problems with execution (turnovers/penalties) and OL/DL play do not appear to be understood by the coaching staff. Hence why we keep seeing the same results. The best game that exemplifies this is Ironton’s loss to Burg last year. No way should Burg have won that game. Down 14-3 after Q1, Burg was looking worse than they did in the first meeting. Yet somehow Ironton went on to play and coach about as bad as any team could in order to lose a game that shouldn’t have even been close.

So that said, just strengthening the schedule will do nothing except add loses to the record. Until the coaches truly understand how to fix the issues that plague the team in big games (which I’m not sure they do), Ironton will not improve regardless of who they schedule.

Nigel Tufnel
Waterboy

Post by Nigel Tufnel »

I keep reading about schedule strength arguments (does it help or not). I would just add that this was the schedule Kirtland (who of course defeated Ironton twice in the finals recently) played this year:

8/19 A Harvey (5-5) [III:9] W 34-8
8/26 H Lutheran West (10-2) [III:10] W 21-0
9/2 H Beachwood (2-8) [V:17] W 52-6
9/9 A West Geauga (2-8) [III:9] W 42-0
9/16 H Geneva (8-4) [III:9] W 43-13
9/23 A Chagrin Falls (4-6) [V:17] W 38-6
9/30 H Perry (11-3) [V:17] W 36-16
10/7 A Lakeside (6-5) [II:5] W 35-8
10/14A Edgewood (6-5) [IV:13] W 44-0
10/21H Orange (0-10) [IV:13] W 42-0

This is five non-playoff teams, two teams that lost their first-round matchups, two that lost in the second round, and one regional finalist (who lost to South Range 21-49). As anyone can see, they were not seriously challenged (at least in terms of final score) in any regular season games. This schedule is very similar (nearly the exact same) they have been playing during their entire run as a top program the past decade or so.
Is this schedule appreciably better than Ironton's schedule? I'm not arguing a team-by-team comparison of the two schedules, but not playing a murderer's row schedule does not hurt Kirtland. And Kirtland is one of the gold standard programs in Ohio (certainly from DIV-DVII).
Certainly, communities are different (income level, enrollment patterns, other factors), but Kirtland is comparable to where Ironton wants to be obviously. Clearly, there is more to it than challenge of schedule.

KCol
Freshman Team

Post by KCol »

It's all about limiting outside noise in my opinion. The 2017 Wheelersburg squad was incredible for our area but that group did such an outstanding job of blocking out the noise and keeping the focus on the next opponent in line. It was a special team talent-wise, but the mentality was also special as well.

That year, Wheelersburg did a great job staying focused while challenging that underdog mentality onto the field instead of through social media, and that was a credit to the coaches, players, and parents. All did a great job knowing what was at stake and not letting little things (Madison complaints in 2017, the uncertainty of the playoff sites as is the case, etc.) keep them from the mindset of staying together, staying focused and winning a state championship. And of course, it takes luck for any state champion, such as avoiding key/major injuries and a break or two, but those last two points are the case for just about anybody.

Since then, I feel that (in part due to social media), teams don't do a good job of blocking out the outside noise and they either get a heightened sense of themselves or focus way too much on little squabbles regarding anything from opponent's complaints to site location to anything else that can be thrown out there. We're all guilty of that from time to time in our lives.

It's not just any one area that's worse than the other, but I feel social media can detract from a team's goals because it gives people a forum that, while not necessarily intending to try to tear their own down, does so in the sense of finding excuses or putting out a complaint that can be carried on over days of time. That, in turn, affects the mental approach to the game of football which is arguably more important than the physical approach. It's so important not to get caught up in that over the playoff stretch.

I think what Ironton is doing to promote its players on social media is fantastic, but there are some interviews where it seems that what is said on social media from a negative standpoint is clouding the goals or even rising above what should remain as the main focuses which are winning or contending for a state title and then, even moreso, sending kids off to great schools academically or athletically.

My thing is don't worry about the detractors. Don't even mention them. By mentioning them, you've already lost the battle and the war because at that point you've got so many opponents out there and I guarantee a lot of them can say the same things about detractors. However, those teams are likely so focused on the goal and what's at stake with that, they're not even addressing or focusing on any negativity.

I hope that makes sense. We do have a lot of really good talent here in this area in all three states and Ironton has the coaches and talent in place to win multiple state titles in this decade, and I believe Wheelersburg can contend for multiple as well and possibly West if they can get more guys out playing football. Just keep that focus on the field and don't sweat the small stuff, because if it's blown up, there are teams out there like South Range, Coldwater, Kirtland, etc. that are going to keep that mental approach about the game.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

KCol wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:10 pm It's all about limiting outside noise in my opinion. The 2017 Wheelersburg squad was incredible for our area but that group did such an outstanding job of blocking out the noise and keeping the focus on the next opponent in line. It was a special team talent-wise, but the mentality was also special as well.

That year, Wheelersburg did a great job staying focused while challenging that underdog mentality onto the field instead of through social media, and that was a credit to the coaches, players, and parents. All did a great job knowing what was at stake and not letting little things (Madison complaints in 2017, the uncertainty of the playoff sites as is the case, etc.) keep them from the mindset of staying together, staying focused and winning a state championship. And of course, it takes luck for any state champion, such as avoiding key/major injuries and a break or two, but those last two points are the case for just about anybody.

Since then, I feel that (in part due to social media), teams don't do a good job of blocking out the outside noise and they either get a heightened sense of themselves or focus way too much on little squabbles regarding anything from opponent's complaints to site location to anything else that can be thrown out there. We're all guilty of that from time to time in our lives.

It's not just any one area that's worse than the other, but I feel social media can detract from a team's goals because it gives people a forum that, while not necessarily intending to try to tear their own down, does so in the sense of finding excuses or putting out a complaint that can be carried on over days of time. That, in turn, affects the mental approach to the game of football which is arguably more important than the physical approach. It's so important not to get caught up in that over the playoff stretch.

I think what Ironton is doing to promote its players on social media is fantastic, but there are some interviews where it seems that what is said on social media from a negative standpoint is clouding the goals or even rising above what should remain as the main focuses which are winning or contending for a state title and then, even moreso, sending kids off to great schools academically or athletically.

My thing is don't worry about the detractors. Don't even mention them. By mentioning them, you've already lost the battle and the war because at that point you've got so many opponents out there and I guarantee a lot of them can say the same things about detractors. However, those teams are likely so focused on the goal and what's at stake with that, they're not even addressing or focusing on any negativity.

I hope that makes sense. We do have a lot of really good talent here in this area in all three states and Ironton has the coaches and talent in place to win multiple state titles in this decade, and I believe Wheelersburg can contend for multiple as well and possibly West if they can get more guys out playing football. Just keep that focus on the field and don't sweat the small stuff, because if it's blown up, there are teams out there like South Range, Coldwater, Kirtland, etc. that are going to keep that mental approach about the game.
What teams does Kirtlands JV team play? From what I hear they play a really tough schedule to prepare them for Varsity, is this true?

Ovenmit
Riding the Bench

Post by Ovenmit »

Exactly. Non of this has anything to do with Coach Lutz and his staff. Coach Lutz and his staff was so far above the current Ironton staff that doesn't even warrant comments concerning Coach Lutz at all.

Almost Champions
Freshman Team

Post by Almost Champions »

Ff3233 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:09 pm Great season for Ironton. But no schedule you can play where they're located will prepare you for what they faced today or previously in state championship games. No wv team outside of Martinsburg or maybe spring valley can compare to neo or swo teams. Just the way it is. Same for us at ff. Need the horses to be able to win the race.
Fart Frye played a really strong schedule. Did it get them a title? No.
Howie always said it was better to destroy bad teams on your way to the State.

1980-82.....the glory days of Southern basketball. We almost did it!
Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

KCol wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:10 pm It's all about limiting outside noise in my opinion. The 2017 Wheelersburg squad was incredible for our area but that group did such an outstanding job of blocking out the noise and keeping the focus on the next opponent in line. It was a special team talent-wise, but the mentality was also special as well.

too much hype, not enough substance, around the program.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

Sonny Weaver wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:55 am

too much hype, not enough substance, around the program.
Wow 😮

LockHerUp
Freshman Team

Post by LockHerUp »

RBH23, spot on with that last post...

Ff3233
All Conference

Post by Ff3233 »

Almost Champions wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:52 am
Ff3233 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:09 pm Great season for Ironton. But no schedule you can play where they're located will prepare you for what they faced today or previously in state championship games. No wv team outside of Martinsburg or maybe spring valley can compare to neo or swo teams. Just the way it is. Same for us at ff. Need the horses to be able to win the race.
Fart Frye played a really strong schedule. Did it get them a title? No.
Howie always said it was better to destroy bad teams on your way to the State.
How's that any different than what I said? Except I'm respectful enough not to be a jerk about the school name

LockHerUp
Freshman Team

Post by LockHerUp »

I know someone of note in the conference. They told me it's going to happen. Ironton will be out of the conference (for football only). We'll see if he's right.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

LockHerUp wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:16 pm I know someone of note in the conference. They told me it's going to happen. Ironton will be out of the conference (for football only). We'll see if he's right.
I hope he’s right, like you said, we’ll see.

BDS
Waterboy

Post by BDS »

I understand why they would want out for football, but if I was running the OVC I would tell them it's all or nothing. Ironton has had a history of wanting in and then out of leagues, mostly based on their football success or lack thereof at different times.

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

LockHerUp wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:16 pm I know someone of note in the conference. They told me it's going to happen. Ironton will be out of the conference (for football only). We'll see if he's right.
I’ve heard the same, with a few OVC schools agreeing to play Ironton late in the season. Have also heard South Point won’t play Ironton again, would take a forfeit over playing.

I will believe it when it’s announced and formalized.

Return to “Football”