2023 Ironton Tigers

FIDO
S

Re: 2023 Ironton Tigers

Post by FIDO »

Pinwheel wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:10 pm Why was Felder not used more ? He was a much better back then the others they used all year,1,000 yard rusher at Huntington last year?

I'm sure he was promised playing time to come over but ended up playing very little and not even breaking 500 yards ,bet he's second guessing that move.
What is the "REAL" reason the other guys got the bulk ?
Can we say why on here?
Very good question. Why didn't they utilize this so called D1 talent? Maybe is was D1 talent with a peewee football scheme? Or, are there other reasons?

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Outoftowner wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:54 pm Terry, Williams, Sturgill, Copas, Patterson, Schreck, etc. they’re going to be fine.
Thacker, Pittman, Gossett, Layne,

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Pinwheel wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:10 pm Why was Felder not used more ? He was a much better back then the others they used all year,1,000 yard rusher at Huntington last year?

I'm sure he was promised playing time to come over but ended up playing very little and not even breaking 500 yards ,bet he's second guessing that move.
Can we say why on here?

Who got the bulk? Keyes didn’t get ran much this year either. Was there another rb that got more carries than those 2?

Seemed like Ironton was hellbent on throwing the football all year. Can’t really argue it much though as they still made it to State Finals.*

Outoftowner
Riding the Bench

Post by Outoftowner »

Will Terry be the tailback? Kid is special with the football in his hands.

Outoftowner
Riding the Bench

Post by Outoftowner »

ohbuckeye2 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:29 am
Outoftowner wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:54 pm Terry, Williams, Sturgill, Copas, Patterson, Schreck, etc. they’re going to be fine.
Thacker, Pittman, Gossett, Layne,
Hopefully kids like Gossett, Patterson, Layne, etc. put in the time in the weight room. If they take care of their business in conjunction with the strong freshman and sophomore kids this year the O and D lines should improve.

Lookiehere
Waterboy

Post by Lookiehere »

I hope so. I watched several games this year where both o and d lines were bested by their competition. If you lose the battle in the trenches, bad things will happen. Who will be that one headhunter that will turn out your lights if given the chance? We will see

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Outoftowner wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:06 am Will Terry be the tailback? Kid is special with the football in his hands.
Definitely, that’s where he should be, he has great vision and can make things happen for sure.

gobucs20
Freshman Team

Post by gobucs20 »

To me I don't think wrestling would hurt. They definitely need to get stronger because watching the title game it looked to me like they got beat a lot on both sides of the line of scrimmage. Also they need to find a way to not get all of those dumb emotional penalties. It seems that they clean them up for a couple of games but they always seem to come back at the worst time. Just one man's opinion

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

If Ironton is going to get over that hump they've got to find better coaching for the OL and DL, truth hurts but it's fact. The 3 losses in the state title game Ironton has been flat dominated at the LOS on both sides of the ball. You can get bigger or stronger but if you're not taught the right way it doesn't matter, the 3 times they've lost it honestly they were bigger up front but the other team was simply more technically sound. Push that sled all across the field all you want it's not pushing back and it works in this area because guys aren't taught how to get off blocks, I think after seeing 3 title games where Ironton has rushed for a total of about 120 yards shows it doesn't work.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Can we say why on here?
I'm guessing his hope was to come to Ironton and earn himself a scholarship somewhere, looked like Ironton used 2-3 RBs all season long. Here's the leading rushers on the season for Ironton.
------------G Car YDS AVG Y/G TD
J. Keyes 15 164 1041 6.3 69.4 21
A. Felder 15 75 511 6.8 34.1 8

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

greygoose wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:18 am If Ironton is going to get over that hump they've got to find better coaching for the OL and DL, truth hurts but it's fact. The 3 losses in the state title game Ironton has been flat dominated at the LOS on both sides of the ball. You can get bigger or stronger but if you're not taught the right way it doesn't matter, the 3 times they've lost it honestly they were bigger up front but the other team was simply more technically sound. Push that sled all across the field all you want it's not pushing back and it works in this area because guys aren't taught how to get off blocks, I think after seeing 3 title games where Ironton has rushed for a total of about 120 yards shows it doesn't work.
I think it was a matter of line experience for ironton. Not so much how they played. Didn’t Ironton pretty much have to replace an entire line. Experience goes a long way when it comes to tough games.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Can we say why on here?
Promised a D1 scholarship. Hopefully they can at least hold up their end of the bargain because I do agree he was extremely under utilized.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
LockHerUp
Freshman Team

Post by LockHerUp »

Old Time Tiger, I agree with you. When you say, "Sounds like the entire staff will look a lot different next year", do you have any inside info or anything that makes you think the staff will be different. Just curious...

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

LockHerUp wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:24 am Old Time Tiger, I agree with you. When you say, "Sounds like the entire staff will look a lot different next year", do you have any inside info or anything that makes you think the staff will be different. Just curious...
I have heard a few changes are in the works but I will say this the the staff has done a great job!

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

wobycat wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:50 am
greygoose wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:18 am If Ironton is going to get over that hump they've got to find better coaching for the OL and DL, truth hurts but it's fact. The 3 losses in the state title game Ironton has been flat dominated at the LOS on both sides of the ball. You can get bigger or stronger but if you're not taught the right way it doesn't matter, the 3 times they've lost it honestly they were bigger up front but the other team was simply more technically sound. Push that sled all across the field all you want it's not pushing back and it works in this area because guys aren't taught how to get off blocks, I think after seeing 3 title games where Ironton has rushed for a total of about 120 yards shows it doesn't work.
I think it was a matter of line experience for ironton. Not so much how they played. Didn’t Ironton pretty much have to replace an entire line. Experience goes a long way when it comes to tough games.
In all 3 losses?? Sorry but at some point you've got to start looking internally. There were times they couldn't block 3 rushers

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

greygoose wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:09 pm
In all 3 losses?? Sorry but at some point you've got to start looking internally. There were times they couldn't block 3 rushers

Honestly I think the first state game was the best line they had. After that, I don’t know what they had up front. Maybe they were good enough but not great to win it all.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

wobycat wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:29 pm
greygoose wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:09 pm

Honestly I think the first state game was the best line they had. After that, I don’t know what they had up front. Maybe they were good enough but not great to win it all.
Yeah it's tough once you get to that point, and we've seen it multiple times the difference is in the trenches for sure.

Bfan99
Freshman Team

Post by Bfan99 »

Ironton has a lot of kids wrestling this year. I heard Pendelton told the boys if your not playing basketball then you should wrestle.

Biggest concern next year might be inexperience. The JV team was lights out last year and was led by the sophomore now junior class that has 25 kids.

I don’t see terry #14 being a RB next year. I think they will use him in the slot almost like how Burg used lattimore. They are pretty much the same type of player

I can see 3 kids getting a shot at RB. Copas, Williams and Sturgill. All 3 will have a huge offseason and live in the weight room.

QB should be Thacker. He’s built like Jackson’s QB Winters. Extremely talented with a big arm and can run.

WRs will be Pittman and schreck being the #1 and #2 and you can fill in the rest will multiple kids that started on the JV team last year.

OL and DL will be a strength with Patterson, Gossett, Layne

LBs will be interesting Williams and sturgill should start at OLBs both played a lot of varsity minutes and I could see Bump and Sloan as the inside LBs

Secondary should be terry and Pittman at CBs and then you have a mix of guys from the JV team that could play safety

The team is already in the weight room and one of Pendelton’s strengths is developing the talent.

I’m sure I’m leaving some kids out that will contribute just giving my opinion.

Will be interesting during the offseason to see if kids transfer in. Already hearing rumors of kids from Burg, Ashland, Sp and Fairland. Could be just gossip. We will see

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Bfan99 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:47 am Ironton has a lot of kids wrestling this year. I heard Pendelton told the boys if your not playing basketball then you should wrestle.

Biggest concern next year might be inexperience. The JV team was lights out last year and was led by the sophomore now junior class that has 25 kids.

I don’t see terry #14 being a RB next year. I think they will use him in the slot almost like how Burg used lattimore. They are pretty much the same type of player

I can see 3 kids getting a shot at RB. Copas, Williams and Sturgill. All 3 will have a huge offseason and live in the weight room.

QB should be Thacker. He’s built like Jackson’s QB Winters. Extremely talented with a big arm and can run.

WRs will be Pittman and schreck being the #1 and #2 and you can fill in the rest will multiple kids that started on the JV team last year.

OL and DL will be a strength with Patterson, Gossett, Layne

LBs will be interesting Williams and sturgill should start at OLBs both played a lot of varsity minutes and I could see Bump and Sloan as the inside LBs

Secondary should be terry and Pittman at CBs and then you have a mix of guys from the JV team that could play safety

The team is already in the weight room and one of Pendelton’s strengths is developing the talent.

I’m sure I’m leaving some kids out that will contribute just giving my opinion.

Will be interesting during the offseason to see if kids transfer in. Already hearing rumors of kids from Burg, Ashland, Sp and Fairland. Could be just gossip. We will see
Nice rundown. Ironton's defense going to take a hit with the graduation losses, but the offense still looks pretty loaded to me.*

irontonwizard
Freshman Team

Post by irontonwizard »

LockHerUp wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:24 am Old Time Tiger, I agree with you. When you say, "Sounds like the entire staff will look a lot different next year", do you have any inside info or anything that makes you think the staff will be different. Just curious...
I’m curious as well…
Will the coaches currently on the staff be leaving because they want to or are they retiring? Or are we getting upgrades, therefore, Pendleton is letting them go?

Return to “Football”