2023 Ironton Tigers

mustard
JV Team

Re: 2023 Ironton Tigers

Post by mustard »

gobucs20 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:56 am If the ultimate goal is to win a state championship really doesn't matter who recruits who or who gets. How many great players in southeastern ohio. The truth is with the exception of Amanda Clear Creek in the early 2000s and Wheelersburg. In 2017.everytime a southeastern ohio team makes it to canton they lose. Usually by a blowout.
and bingo was his name o!

its exactly why ironton is recruiting....... to win a championship... ironton fans can spin it anyway they want...we promote kids...we get scholarships...blahh blahh but thats their goal.. good goal to have but aint happened yet, eventually they will get one and they can all drink beer and stare at it at the armory and reminisce about all the touchdowns and how bad the officiatin was....and what their sons pre game meals were and all the steroids they took... :lol: :lol: :lol:

but truth is talent is talent but d 1 talent is another level...about 1% of high school players are scholarship players..the rest are verbals and preferred walk ons.

carrico was the last true d1 talent in the area and hes in a dog fight just to get a starting spot with the bucks. that ought to tell you right there

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Build it and they will come, you all should watch Dave Lucas interviews with Coaches Trevon and Jerrod Pendleton, great interviews, no wonder kids want to play for them.

mustard
JV Team

Post by mustard »

ohbuckeye2 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:37 pm Build it and they will come, you all should watch Dave Lucas interviews with Coaches Trevon and Jerrod Pendleton, great interviews, no wonder kids want to play for them.
:lol: i notice you use the old field of dreams reference :lol:

you aint one of those guys that drives by the coachs house hoping to catch him out mowing the lawn so you can wave to him are u?

:lol:

SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

RBH23 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:46 am
Tigernation2021 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:37 pm
RBH23 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:58 pm

Yes, the Burg head coach has something to gain by keeping kids from getting to the next level. Good grief... 🤦‍♂️

Not sure which parent told you that, but too many parents have delusions of grandeur about their kid’s athletic ability.
I was kind of thinking the same thing, I mean seriously what would any coach have to gain by not trying to help players get to the next level. Let's just look at Ironton and how they promote their kids, it's a snowball effect and it sheds a positive light on any program doing it and how it's viewed by athletes in the area.
Promotion is key, but have to have the kids with the size, speed, and talent to promote. Not to disparage the job Ironton does with promoting, but they also had the kids to back it up.

Go back and watch Ironton-Burg game this year. Ironton skill players looked gigantic compared to the Burg players. Keyes, Perkins, Carter… Burg had no players that came close to matching those kids in speed and size.

To be blunt, Burg has historically never had the same natural raw talent as Ironton. At best, Burg players are MAC talent level in football. Have had a few kids with the physical tools to play major college football, but most of them chose another sport to play at the next level.

But a D5 high school football team that finishes 7-3 (Burg’s recent regular season records) in southeastern Ohio simply will not have college level talent.
The complaints I’ve heard are kids will have big roles on the team their sophomore and junior years, then get their roles dramatically decreased their senior years, to the point that some aren’t used on the offensive end side of the ball. And if you look back several years it’s a valid argument. Or guys may go several games and rarely touch the football, then have a game where they run for 200. It doesn’t make sense.

Either way it’s hard for me to believe that you have an athletic program as successful as Wheelersburg that will rarely have a guy playing D2 or Higher. Something is going on and it’s more than not having players because they obviously do. If your coach doesn’t believe in a kid enough to push for him to play then do you really believe college coaches are? I don’t think so

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

SWHITE2002 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:42 pm

I was kind of thinking the same thing, I mean seriously what would any coach have to gain by not trying to help players get to the next level. Let's just look at Ironton and how they promote their kids, it's a snowball effect and it sheds a positive light on any program doing it and how it's viewed by athletes in the area.
Promotion is key, but have to have the kids with the size, speed, and talent to promote. Not to disparage the job Ironton does with promoting, but they also had the kids to back it up.

Go back and watch Ironton-Burg game this year. Ironton skill players looked gigantic compared to the Burg players. Keyes, Perkins, Carter… Burg had no players that came close to matching those kids in speed and size.

To be blunt, Burg has historically never had the same natural raw talent as Ironton. At best, Burg players are MAC talent level in football. Have had a few kids with the physical tools to play major college football, but most of them chose another sport to play at the next level.

But a D5 high school football team that finishes 7-3 (Burg’s recent regular season records) in southeastern Ohio simply will not have college level talent.
The complaints I’ve heard are kids will have big roles on the team their sophomore and junior years, then get their roles dramatically decreased their senior years, to the point that some aren’t used on the offensive end side of the ball. And if you look back several years it’s a valid argument. Or guys may go several games and rarely touch the football, then have a game where they run for 200. It doesn’t make sense.

Either way it’s hard for me to believe that you have an athletic program as successful as Wheelersburg that will rarely have a guy playing D2 or Higher. Something is going on and it’s more than not having players because they obviously do. If your coach doesn’t believe in a kid enough to push for him to play then do you really believe college coaches are? I don’t think so
A lot of kids during the state championship run played college football. Holden could have been a big time recruit but was focused on basketball instead.

The recent classes haven’t been that strong despite what some might think. Burg has finished the regular season 7-3 the last two years (bad numbers by Burg standards) with far less talent than what was seen around the state championship year.

Some of those kids who had their roles reduced should spend more time looking within themselves versus blaming the coaches; for example, remembering the plays would have helped some play more. Because I promise you that Burg coaches have all the incentives in the world to win football games. They are going to play the kids that give them the best chance of success.

Finally, your comment about “how can such a successful program like Burg rarely put kids in college above the D2 level”…. That’s a question that you could ask Coldwater, Kirtland, and Marion Local as well. Those programs rarely produce D1 talent. Wheelersburg is not unusual in that regard.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Take a look at this list. Ohio high school football’s top 2023 players. Of the 93 on the list, only 6 are from schools D5 or smaller; and three of those six are from Ironton. Marion Local, Coldwater, Kirtland, and South Range had zero. In fact, the entire MAC conference had zero. Ironton has as many D1 recruits in their class as all of the other D5, D6, and D7 schools combined!!!

Instead of asking why Burg doesn’t have more top recruits (which is normal for D5 schools), the better question is why hasn’t Ironton won state yet with such a massive talent advantage?

https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Footb ... l&State=OH

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

RBH23 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:27 pm

Take a look at this list. Ohio high school football’s top 2023 players. Of the 93 on the list, only 6 are from schools D5 or smaller; and three of those six are from Ironton. Marion Local, Coldwater, Kirtland, and South Range had zero. In fact, the entire MAC conference had zero. Ironton had more D1 recruits in their class than all of the other D5, D6, and D7 schools combined!!!

Instead of asking why Burg doesn’t have more top recruits (which is normal for D5 schools), the better question is why hasn’t Ironton won state yet with such a massive talent advantage?

white Is just cutting into the program. Burgs program plays with the hands they are dealt. If someone does come in, their spot has to be earned. Some kids think they are better than they are. Real D1 talent is rare. I thought the kids on Ironton team were good last year but their best player is walking on at Marshall. Just because he doesn’t have the size is the only reason he’s not getting a scholarship.

Cutting into the burgs coaching staff is borderline laughable. Their job is to coach the team. They support any level a kid wants to go to. Most kids like the idea of going to college until they get there. Rarely do they finish unless they are ultra talented.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

wobycat wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:01 pm

Take a look at this list. Ohio high school football’s top 2023 players. Of the 93 on the list, only 6 are from schools D5 or smaller; and three of those six are from Ironton. Marion Local, Coldwater, Kirtland, and South Range had zero. In fact, the entire MAC conference had zero. Ironton had more D1 recruits in their class than all of the other D5, D6, and D7 schools combined!!!

white Is just cutting into the program. Burgs program plays with the hands they are dealt. If someone does come in, their spot has to be earned. Some kids think they are better than they are. Real D1 talent is rare. I thought the kids on Ironton team were good last year but their best player is walking on at Marshall. Just because he doesn’t have the size is the only reason he’s not getting a scholarship.

Cutting into the burgs coaching staff is borderline laughable. Their job is to coach the team. They support any level a kid wants to go to. Most kids like the idea of going to college until they get there. Rarely do they finish unless they are ultra talented.
Last time I looked, Burg head coach is the last active HC in the area to win a state title. Must be doing something right.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

RBH23 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:23 pm
wobycat wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:01 pm

Last time I looked, Burg head coach is the last active HC in the area to win a state title. Must be doing something right.
Pre transfer portal

Paulcrew
JV Team

Post by Paulcrew »

Always refreshing to
pop in and see all the comments about Ironton Football 2023 coming from Ironton folk.😂

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Paulcrew wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:29 am Always refreshing to
pop in and see all the comments about Ironton Football 2023 coming from Ironton folk.😂
Not sure why Ironton fans and non-Burg fans always want to talk about Burg on an Ironton post. Conversation started about Ironton, and then about Ironton and transfers. Followed by Ironton posters commenting about Burg.

I don’t get it.

TheFlyingDutchman
JV Team

Post by TheFlyingDutchman »

Was thinking the same thing PC. Ironton is living rent free in their heads. It never ends !!!

mustard
JV Team

Post by mustard »

TheFlyingDutchman wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:18 am
Was thinking the same thing PC. Ironton is living rent free in their heads. It never ends !!!
:lol: rent free in their heads?

no that's how ironton's transfers live :lol: :lol:

whos spot did the northwest kid take on the tiger roster? and who will fill his spot at nothwest?

is morthwest looking into the portal? :lol: is the ironton kid whos spot was taken looking in the portal?

this is the most comical time ever for high school football in this area lol.

hey jim!
did u hear?
we got northwests best wideout.
i hurd he got a 4.5 40!
D1 fer sure :lol:

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

TheFlyingDutchman wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:18 am
Seems to be quite the opposite.

I read this thread hoping to get info on how Ironton is going to look in 2023, even though it is early in the recruiting cycle. Next thing I see is that Ironton fans have moved from talking about Ironton football and instead are wanting to talk about Burg.

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

Poor Mustard he must live in the basement and has nothing else to do.

Bfan99
Freshman Team

Post by Bfan99 »

It’s hard for me to hate on a coach and program like Ironton. Do they win with transfers? Yes, but Ironton develops the homegrown kids as well. Drive by the stadium after 3pm everyday and you can see 20-50 football players working out on their own. Ironton takes above average players and puts them in front of college coaches by using his connections that other coaches in the area don’t have. Every college program has to filter from thousands of talented athletes that want to come but Ironton promotes and gets kids in the front of the line. 10 seniors in the 2023 class all have received some kind of offer for the the next level. What other school in Ohio can say that? Already this year Ironton has 6-10 kids doing college visits ranging from sophomore to upcoming seniors, That’s why the parents and kids switch to a school like Ironton. They all want that free 100k scholarship.

mustard
JV Team

Post by mustard »

osu 77 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:48 am Poor Mustard he must live in the basement and has nothing else to do.
but not in coach pendletons basement like most of the tiger fans on this chat site :lol:

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Bfan99 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:13 am It’s hard for me to hate on a coach and program like Ironton. Do they win with transfers? Yes, but Ironton develops the homegrown kids as well. Drive by the stadium after 3pm everyday and you can see 20-50 football players working out on their own. Ironton takes above average players and puts them in front of college coaches by using his connections that other coaches in the area don’t have. Every college program has to filter from thousands of talented athletes that want to come but Ironton promotes and gets kids in the front of the line. 10 seniors in the 2023 class all have received some kind of offer for the the next level. What other school in Ohio can say that? Already this year Ironton has 6-10 kids doing college visits ranging from sophomore to upcoming seniors, That’s why the parents and kids switch to a school like Ironton. They all want that free 100k scholarship.
Couple questions:
1. If internal development is that good, why the need to recruit so many kids from other schools?
2. Given the amazing talent (10 kids with offers in 2023 alone), why is Ironton not winning state titles? No D5, D6, or D7 school has that level of talent. Not even close.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Bfan99 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:13 am It’s hard for me to hate on a coach and program like Ironton. Do they win with transfers? Yes, but Ironton develops the homegrown kids as well. Drive by the stadium after 3pm everyday and you can see 20-50 football players working out on their own. Ironton takes above average players and puts them in front of college coaches by using his connections that other coaches in the area don’t have. Every college program has to filter from thousands of talented athletes that want to come but Ironton promotes and gets kids in the front of the line. 10 seniors in the 2023 class all have received some kind of offer for the the next level. What other school in Ohio can say that? Already this year Ironton has 6-10 kids doing college visits ranging from sophomore to upcoming seniors, That’s why the parents and kids switch to a school like Ironton. They all want that free 100k scholarship.
You are correct. Coach Pendleton has the time to go along with their players to their visits. That's pretty much his job. To my knowledge, he doesn't have a family and is still young in age. However, that's not the case within the tri-state with the most,if not all, of the other coaches. They are teachers who have to lesson plan and have families, but they are still trying to grind out wins and put in the off-season. You can go by burg almost everyday and see kids out there preparing.

So it may be tougher for most of the other coaches to go on visits and take time away from family to do that kind of stuff. However, I know that they do the best they can for kids and their visits. And I am sure it aggravates the other when their talented kids are contacted by ironton or go play somewhere else.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Bingo

Return to “Football”