Ironton Gridiron Classic

Pat
Varsity

Re: Ironton Gridiron Classic

Post by Pat »

irontonwizard wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:07 pm Is there a schedule out there yet for this event? Sure hope so because it was fun to watch
Probably waiting to see if big Moe can convince Pendleton to leave or not. :mrgreen:

Preacher Purl
Riding the Bench

Post by Preacher Purl »

Sounds like it will be week 2. Ironton playing Jackson on Saturday night to close it.

irontonwizard
Freshman Team

Post by irontonwizard »

Preacher Purl wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:24 pm Sounds like it will be week 2. Ironton playing Jackson on Saturday night to close it.
Awesome! Who will be playing in the other games?
Go Tigers

Sheb Wooley
Waterboy

Post by Sheb Wooley »

That seems to be somewhat of a secret or still a work in progress.

Bearcats80
Freshman Team

Post by Bearcats80 »

I heard it’s the weekend of the Cabell Midland game.

Football Historian
Riding the Bench

Post by Football Historian »

Martinsburg, WV vs. Clarkson North, Canada 8-26

Sheb Wooley
Waterboy

Post by Sheb Wooley »

My sources are telling me Dematha vs. KY team as the other game.

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

Wish Martinsburg would play Ironton instead.

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Schedule will be posted this evening.

Bearcats80
Freshman Team

Post by Bearcats80 »

🏈The Ironton Gridiron Classic🏈
🏆 Champions Classic
📆Saturday August, 26th
🏟Tanks Memorial Stadium. Ironton, OH.
📺 Some of The BEST HS Football programs in the country will BATTLE in front of a NATIONAL audience.
⭐️ National Recruiting Exposure⭐️
👀 ALL EYES HERE!

1:00pm- Clarkson North HS Ontario, Canada 🆚 Martinsburg HS Martinsburg, WV

4:30pm- DeMatha Catholic HS Hyattesville, MD 🆚
Springfield HS Springfield, OH

8:00pm- Jackson HS Jackson, Ohio 🆚 Ironton HS
Ironton, OH

irontonwizard
Freshman Team

Post by irontonwizard »

Bearcats80 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:14 pm 🏈The Ironton Gridiron Classic🏈
🏆 Champions Classic
📆Saturday August, 26th
🏟Tanks Memorial Stadium. Ironton, OH.
📺 Some of The BEST HS Football programs in the country will BATTLE in front of a NATIONAL audience.
⭐️ National Recruiting Exposure⭐️
👀 ALL EYES HERE!

1:00pm- Clarkson North HS Ontario, Canada 🆚 Martinsburg HS Martinsburg, WV

4:30pm- DeMatha Catholic HS Hyattesville, MD 🆚
Springfield HS Springfield, OH

8:00pm- Jackson HS Jackson, Ohio 🆚 Ironton HS
Ironton, OH
Looks like a good event! Just disappointed we are playing Jackson in it. Nothing against this match up, because Jackson is always a tough game, just was expecting a different opponent like Pikeville, Spring Valley, Cabell Midland, or even us playing Martinsburg. Oh well…

BuckeyeBond
Riding the Bench

Post by BuckeyeBond »

Does anyone know why this isn’t a 2 day event this year? I seen a lot people on this forum talking about it becoming a 2 day event. The teams this year are not as strong as last years. DeMatha is a great pick up as is Martinsburg. But I feel like the teams were a lot more Nationally known last year. Ironton vs Jackson is a local game that could happen at anytime. I really wish they were playing Ironton.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

BuckeyeBond wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:59 pm Does anyone know why this isn’t a 2 day event this year? I seen a lot people on this forum talking about it becoming a 2 day event. The teams this year are not as strong as last years. DeMatha is a great pick up as is Martinsburg. But I feel like the teams were a lot more Nationally known last year. Ironton vs Jackson is a local game that could happen at anytime. I really wish they were playing Ironton.
IMO, the problem is DeMatha doesn’t pair that well with anyone in demand for a week-to-be-filled. Even a good Benedictine squad would’ve been a stretch to play them, and last year’s Benny was terrible. Springfield’s probably the best this event can get to square off against them, but at the same time that in the process peels away the best team this event can bring in from OH/KY/WV.

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

I was told the Classic had to be moved this year week 2 because of it needing to be a home game. Starting next year the Classic will be on Labor Day weekend and will field the best teams in Ohio vs best around the US. I’m afraid Irontons schedule just limited them this year with 7 conf games and Wheelersburg and Jackson on schedule.

irontonwizard
Freshman Team

Post by irontonwizard »

BuckeyeBond wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:59 pm Does anyone know why this isn’t a 2 day event this year? I seen a lot people on this forum talking about it becoming a 2 day event. The teams this year are not as strong as last years. DeMatha is a great pick up as is Martinsburg. But I feel like the teams were a lot more Nationally known last year. Ironton vs Jackson is a local game that could happen at anytime. I really wish they were playing Ironton.
I agree Ironton vs Jackson game is local game and does not have that Wow factor for this event. We should be playing someone we haven’t played before and is a powerhouse in their area. Not saying Jackson is not, just would like to see a different opponent for us at this event.

irontonwizard
Freshman Team

Post by irontonwizard »

XandOs wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:06 am I was told the Classic had to be moved this year week 2 because of it needing to be a home game. Starting next year the Classic will be on Labor Day weekend and will field the best teams in Ohio vs best around the US. I’m afraid Irontons schedule just limited them this year with 7 conf games and Wheelersburg and Jackson on schedule.
As a huge fan not just of Ironton but of football, this is a let down that we couldn’t have played someone like Pikeville kentucky, spring Valley, Clarksville Clinton Massie, etc. Heck if we can play a team like Massillon on the JV schedule why couldn’t we play a team like I mentioned in earlier? I agree last year’s event was better on paper for sure, but I’ll still be paying my money to watch this year’s games.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

irontonwizard wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:00 am
XandOs wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:06 am I was told the Classic had to be moved this year week 2 because of it needing to be a home game. Starting next year the Classic will be on Labor Day weekend and will field the best teams in Ohio vs best around the US. I’m afraid Irontons schedule just limited them this year with 7 conf games and Wheelersburg and Jackson on schedule.
As a huge fan not just of Ironton but of football, this is a let down that we couldn’t have played someone like Pikeville kentucky, spring Valley, Clarksville Clinton Massie, etc. Heck if we can play a team like Massillon on the JV schedule why couldn’t we play a team like I mentioned in earlier? I agree last year’s event was better on paper for sure, but I’ll still be paying my money to watch this year’s games.
You can bet, after this coming season with Ironton moving to be Independent in Football, we’ll be playing a great opponent that will live up to everyone’s expectations.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

In a lot of ways we should be pleased with the quality of the participating teams. I could not imagine the difficulty of putting the slate together. Open dates, financial guarantees, accomdations, travel, etc. . I do not think it is easy as waving a wand and having IMG, Mater Dei, or Bosco magically appear.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
irontonwizard
Freshman Team

Post by irontonwizard »

Omega wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:33 am
In a lot of ways we should be pleased with the quality of the participating teams. I could not imagine the difficulty of putting the slate together. Open dates, financial guarantees, accomdations, travel, etc. . I do not think it is easy as waving a wand and having IMG, Mater Dei, or Bosco magically appear.
I agree with you, but just expected a little more and someone different that we do not play. Nice comment about the wand. LOL
Just tired of hearing about us needing and wanting to play bigger schools and we have a chance to do that, especially when it’s your classic. Just a fan that would like to see someone we don’t already play.
Last edited by irontonwizard on Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

irontonwizard
Freshman Team

Post by irontonwizard »

ohbuckeye2 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:19 am
irontonwizard wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:00 am
You can bet, after this coming season with Ironton moving to be Independent in Football, we’ll be playing a great opponent that will live up to everyone’s expectations.
I hope you’re right. You should know, so I will definitely be anxious for the following year to see who it might be.

Return to “Football”