Local Job Openings/Opportunities

irontonwizard
Freshman Team

Local Job Openings/Opportunities

Post by irontonwizard »

I know it’s early but any changes happening locally?

Nigel Tufnel
Waterboy

Re: Local Job Openings/Opportunities

Post by Nigel Tufnel »

The only head coach openings I have seen posted in the broad SE Ohio area so far are in the Mid-State League Buckeye:
Amanda-Clearcreek (coming off first winless season in 50 years, still shouldn't have non-renewed the coach IMO)
Teays Valley (will soon be moving to the OCC in the same division as Logan)

If you stray a bit further out, Newark Catholic and Pickerington Central are open. A number in Franklin County (Columbus metro) as well.

The Ultimate Lancer
JV Team

Post by The Ultimate Lancer »

Why is Newark Catholic open? I thought they hired a guy from California?

BRING BACK The used car salesman/part time football manager!
Nigel Tufnel
Waterboy

Post by Nigel Tufnel »

Lancer,

I don't know all the ins and outs at NC, but I think the coach two years ago left for another job, they hired someone who then ended up (for whatever reason) not taking/keeping the job, and the former coach (who's planned job didn't happen for some reason) agreed to come back for one "interim" year this year. Someone can correct if they know more.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Nigel Tufnel wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:30 pm Lancer,

I don't know all the ins and outs at NC, but I think the coach two years ago left for another job, they hired someone who then ended up (for whatever reason) not taking/keeping the job, and the former coach (who's planned job didn't happen for some reason) agreed to come back for one "interim" year this year. Someone can correct if they know more.
Mostly correct. Their departing coach originally left after the 2021 season. He agreed to come back due to his successor not being retained. This opening following the 2022 season was anticipated.

A Kinder Yogi
Waterboy

Post by A Kinder Yogi »

If it dont work out for me at Belpre I am open to other jobs. Just post the contact info here. I made a few hundred copies of my resume' at Kinkos in matewan.

Y'all are just gonna have to prove that!
A Kinder Yogi
Waterboy

Post by A Kinder Yogi »

The Ultimate Lancer wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:18 pm Why is Newark Catholic open? I thought they hired a guy from California?
NC should be glad they didnt run into my Matewan teams. They would have kicked the shite right out of them city boys.

A Kinder Yogi
Waterboy

Post by A Kinder Yogi »

Hire me. I dont play them cornhole games.

The Exile
Riding the Bench

Post by The Exile »

Brian Cross, a coaches Hall of Fame inductee, hired at Teays Valley

https://sportingpumpkin.com/2022/12/30/ ... -into-occ/

Nigel Tufnel
Waterboy

Post by Nigel Tufnel »

Amanda-Clearcreek hires 2012 graduate Chet Saum as the new head coach.

https://sportingpumpkin.com/2023/01/18/ ... l-program/

His older brother was the head coach at A-C in 2017.

He has a little coaching experience, but this seems (according to my sources) to be based on a desire to have an alum (and one that does not need a teaching position in the district) who will tie into the program's tradition. Whether that leads to wins shall be seen. Good luck to Coach Saum.

Play60Football
Riding the Bench

Post by Play60Football »

Is this an underwhelming hire? I'm not sure but I know AC fans obviously want to see the winning program of old. But is it more important to hire a proven coach or just an alumnus? I'm genuinely asking for curiosity, was Daulton run out because he wasn't an AC graduate?

Nigel Tufnel
Waterboy

Post by Nigel Tufnel »

Play60,

I don't live locally anymore, but a few I have talked to (I have a relative involved in the program right now, for one) view this as a "meh" hire (not against C. Saum as a person, who seems well-liked, but in terms of coaching acumen/background). There were apparently some more experienced applicants who did not have the local ties and/or needed particular teaching positions that are not available (again, from what I have been told). A-C has been perpetually cash-strapped for over a decade and is not in a position to invent positions for coaches.
Like many small-town rural communities, a significant element in the district (particularly in the village of Amanda and Amanda Township) wanted a local, especially a known name (his brother was a very good player, though injury prone, and former HC, C. Saum was a good player as well). There are, to put it bluntly, elements in the community that would not consider another "outsider" regardless of qualifications.
I would not necessarily characterize Daulton resigning/on the verge of being non-renewed solely on being an outsider, though I think it definitely shortened the leash. Based on what some that I know who are in/adjacent to the program have said, there were internal problems to some degree in the program (nothing I would call major though). Daulton definitely tried to tap into and honor the tradition (he came from a tradition-rich program himself), but some things were not working (again, from what I've been told, no firsthand information).
I will say some in the community have and had unrealistic expectations and live in the past too much. It has been over fifteen years since the Aces won a regional title, nearly twenty since the last state finals appearance, and nearly twenty-five since the back-to-back titles. It has been over a decade since Ron Hinton left. There is a strong contingent in the community who do not (or refuse to at least) recognize that things have changed and the program may need to as well.
That said, I do think that if time/support are provided, Coach Saum can be successful at A-C. The key thing, of course, is to provide a positive experience for the players regardless of scoreboard.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Nigel Tufnel wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:59 pm Play60,

I don't live locally anymore, but a few I have talked to (I have a relative involved in the program right now, for one) view this as a "meh" hire (not against C. Saum as a person, who seems well-liked, but in terms of coaching acumen/background). There were apparently some more experienced applicants who did not have the local ties and/or needed particular teaching positions that are not available (again, from what I have been told). A-C has been perpetually cash-strapped for over a decade and is not in a position to invent positions for coaches.
Like many small-town rural communities, a significant element in the district (particularly in the village of Amanda and Amanda Township) wanted a local, especially a known name (his brother was a very good player, though injury prone, and former HC, C. Saum was a good player as well). There are, to put it bluntly, elements in the community that would not consider another "outsider" regardless of qualifications.
I would not necessarily characterize Daulton resigning/on the verge of being non-renewed solely on being an outsider, though I think it definitely shortened the leash. Based on what some that I know who are in/adjacent to the program have said, there were internal problems to some degree in the program (nothing I would call major though). Daulton definitely tried to tap into and honor the tradition (he came from a tradition-rich program himself), but some things were not working (again, from what I've been told, no firsthand information).
I will say some in the community have and had unrealistic expectations and live in the past too much. It has been over fifteen years since the Aces won a regional title, nearly twenty since the last state finals appearance, and nearly twenty-five since the back-to-back titles. It has been over a decade since Ron Hinton left. There is a strong contingent in the community who do not (or refuse to at least) recognize that things have changed and the program may need to as well.
That said, I do think that if time/support are provided, Coach Saum can be successful at A-C. The key thing, of course, is to provide a positive experience for the players regardless of scoreboard.
One of the candidates that was still in running for the job only had one year of assistant coaching experience at the HS level, and is from outside the A-C community. There was an angle to that particular candidate that probably earned him more consideration, but it goes to show how scarce the applicant pool truly was for it.

Chet’s the best they could’ve hired. What Amanda needed is someone who understands the tradition, the dynamics of the community and someone who is responsive to what makes the people tick. He checks all of those boxes, plus he can build a staff that fits. I think he would’ve been the best candidate even if it was a deep pool (it wasn’t.)

Play60Football
Riding the Bench

Post by Play60Football »

formerfcfan wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:45 pm
Nigel Tufnel wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:59 pm Play60,

One of the candidates that was still in running for the job only had one year of assistant coaching experience at the HS level, and is from outside the A-C community. There was an angle to that particular candidate that probably earned him more consideration, but it goes to show how scarce the applicant pool truly was for it.

Chet’s the best they could’ve hired. What Amanda needed is someone who understands the tradition, the dynamics of the community and someone who is responsive to what makes the people tick. He checks all of those boxes, plus he can build a staff that fits. I think he would’ve been the best candidate even if it was a deep pool (it wasn’t.)
Do you think the school (community) thought they were going to get more "quality" applicants or do you believe they were going inside the community regardless? Again don't know Coach Saum at all and don't want to speak wrong of him, I just know coach Daulton and it's not often a proven program builder get pushed aside for someone who may not have the coaching resume. Very interesting situation.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Play60Football wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:01 pm
Do you think the school (community) thought they were going to get more "quality" applicants or do you believe they were going inside the community regardless?
If they (the school-community) did, then that was fantastical thinking. Steve Daulton is a well-respected, well-connected coach — he went 28-15 in his first four years, won a playoff game in the previous eight-teams-per-region entry model, won a share of the MSL and even beat Bloom-Carroll in that process. That track record would make you safe at the vast majority of schools in Ohio despite an 0-10 in year 5. At Amanda, it wasn’t. That didn’t go unnoticed by the coaching circles. Making matters worse is, of all the Fairfield County publics, only Millersport is worse in its resources and compensation packages as it relates to acquiring coaching talent.

So, it would’ve been a fool’s dream to expect someone (let alone multiple guys) with the STRS — let alone the experience — would’ve pursued it. The squeeze isn’t worth the juice.
Again don't know Coach Saum at all and don't want to speak wrong of him, I just know coach Daulton and it's not often a proven program builder get pushed aside for someone who may not have the coaching resume. Very interesting situation.
For what’s it’s worth: I don’t think they shoved Steve out just so they could give it to Chet. I think this was a situation where the dog (Amanda) caught the car (parting ways with Steve.) The only promising path forward was to give it to Chet. I genuinely think he’s a quality candidate and quality guy who probably could’ve been named the coach against bigger resumes, had any applied (but many stayed away because of what happened to Steve, plus the low-attractiveness of what the job can offer.) He’s the right move going forward, IMO. At the very least he’ll have patience afforded to him and he’s useful in rebuilding the community culture as it relates to not just the football program but the health of the district.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

formerfcfan wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:43 pm
Play60Football wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:01 pm
Do you think the school (community) thought they were going to get more "quality" applicants or do you believe they were going inside the community regardless?
If they (the school-community) did, then that was fantastical thinking. Steve Daulton is a well-respected, well-connected coach — he went 28-15 in his first four years, won a playoff game in the previous eight-teams-per-region entry model, won a share of the MSL and even beat Bloom-Carroll in that process. That track record would make you safe at the vast majority of schools in Ohio despite an 0-10 in year 5. At Amanda, it wasn’t. That didn’t go unnoticed by the coaching circles. Making matters worse is, of all the Fairfield County publics, only Millersport is worse in its resources and compensation packages as it relates to acquiring coaching talent.

So, it would’ve been a fool’s dream to expect someone (let alone multiple guys) with the STRS — let alone the experience — would’ve pursued it. The squeeze isn’t worth the juice.
Again don't know Coach Saum at all and don't want to speak wrong of him, I just know coach Daulton and it's not often a proven program builder get pushed aside for someone who may not have the coaching resume. Very interesting situation.
For what’s it’s worth: I don’t think they shoved Steve out just so they could give it to Chet. I think this was a situation where the dog (Amanda) caught the car (parting ways with Steve.) The only promising path forward was to give it to Chet. I genuinely think he’s a quality candidate and quality guy who probably could’ve been named the coach against bigger resumes, had any applied (but many stayed away because of what happened to Steve, plus the low-attractiveness of what the job can offer.) He’s the right move going forward, IMO. At the very least he’ll have patience afforded to him and he’s useful in rebuilding the community culture as it relates to not just the football program but the health of the district.
Very good honest response.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Heard last night that Portsmouth Notre Dame job is now open. Anybody that can confirm?*

HappyNDguy
Waterboy

Post by HappyNDguy »

That would be great for the program.

MattyIce
Freshman Team

Post by MattyIce »

Is J. Pendleton taking the ND job?

BillyBob21
Freshman Team

Post by BillyBob21 »

art_vandelay wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:34 am Heard last night that Portsmouth Notre Dame job is now open. Anybody that can confirm?*
Have heard same thing. Heard that Ashley was rehired but then at least 17 players stepped up and took a stand and now he is not returning. Take away the seniors and the coaches kids and that’s pretty much the entire team. Happy for the kids and so glad the kids voices were heard.

But haven’t heard of any replacement candidates yet.

Return to “Football”