Wellston Football Coach

greygoose
SEOPS

Re: Wellston Football Coach

Post by greygoose »

mackdog wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:42 pm Once again the administration of Wellston refuses to make a decision and hides behind the union contract. So, if Urban Meyer or Ryan Day had applied as outside candidates, would they have been considered???
Do they work for Wellston?? If not, then no not if they have a candidate already in the system. I've coached with guys who had to wait to see if anyone within the school system applied if they had those in the system are automatic over someone not in it, it's not Wellston's rule.

Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

greygoose wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:58 am
mackdog wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:42 pm Once again the administration of Wellston refuses to make a decision and hides behind the union contract. So, if Urban Meyer or Ryan Day had applied as outside candidates, would they have been considered???

Do they work for Wellston?? If not, then no not if they have a candidate already in the system. I've coached with guys who had to wait to see if anyone within the school system applied if they had those in the system are automatic over someone not in it, it's not Wellston's rule.
Each school contract has language that pertains only to that school. So, whatever Wellston’s language states, it is a Wellston “rule” so to speak.

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
A Kinder Yogi
Waterboy

Post by A Kinder Yogi »

We never let rules get in the way of winning at Matewan

Y'all are just gonna have to prove that!
Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

A Kinder Yogi wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:54 am We never let rules get in the way of winning at Matewan
Nor has Wellston. 😂

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
A Kinder Yogi
Waterboy

Post by A Kinder Yogi »

greygoose wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:52 pm Sounds like he's been with Wellston for quite some time and it's my understanding he's done a lot for the kids and trying to help them out especially with baseball. When schools hire they must first look at the internal applicants before ever posting outside as teachers working in the system are first preference. Good Luck after last season there's only 1 direction for the program to go.
not true everywhere anymore and definitely not true in west virginny. I am getting offers despite inside applicants. I have even had a few schools say they will boot their coach if i will take their job.

A Kinder Yogi
Waterboy

Post by A Kinder Yogi »

Ground Buck wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:25 am
A Kinder Yogi wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:54 am We never let rules get in the way of winning at Matewan
Nor has Wellston. 😂
If thats true why do they suck so much. Cant even beat Oak Hill lol

Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

A Kinder Yogi wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:26 am
Ground Buck wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:25 am
Nor has Wellston. 😂
If thats true why do they suck so much. Cant even beat Oak Hill lol
Ignoring the rules isn’t enough to overcome the ineptitude.

WildManWill
Waterboy

Post by WildManWill »

Actually that “rule” is easily taken care of and had been many times before, A grievance is filed. A grievance is paid, life moves on. The job of the school board and school should be TO DO WHAT IS RIGHT FOR THE KIDS! Nothing else, nada, no argument to be had. The kids of Wellston are being handed the short stick because of Union and school board politicking plain and simple. Wellston is not by any means a football school but it goes beyond that. Students have transferred, stop playing, etc.. Now between the mess in the football program and basketball program students are leaving the district by the handful, I’m not talking about just high school kids I’m talking from grade school up. (If you take a peak at the younger levels in Jackson I can give you several names that were suiting up for Wellston not long ago). All of this directly affects the district as whole in a negative manner, tax dollars lost, and more. All sports in Wellston with the exception of softball and baseball is in the gutter. At the end of the day folks can say it’s not about sports that education is first but with todays climate sports and education go hand in hand because that is what keeps kids in your district!

Coach Graham is a wonderful individual and will do his best and I hope he can fix it but, when other more qualified, connected and better prepared individuals are ready and the board won’t even look in fear of the almighty union it’s a shame for everyone!

Edmond Dantes
Riding the Bench

Post by Edmond Dantes »

Well said.

Not hating on Graham specifically at all, best of luck. Also, at some point, you have to accept the fact that he is the guy and need to rally around him.

However - many people have said that athletics are the front porch to the district. You will hear 10 stories and sports scores about a district before you hear 1 about academics. Right or wrong, that’s the facts. Doesn’t make it more important - but it does project an image of your school.

I also support unions, in general, on more cases than not. This is one that I do not. It’s one thing to protect workers paychecks and from oppression of owners and bosses - it’s another thing to undercut legitimate competition from candidates that have a lot more accomplishments and qualifications than who was chosen.

Did the kids deserve the best candidate? Everyone would agree they do. Is the current system giving them that? No.

That being said, this particular part of the contract is relatively easy to bypass if you have a pair. So, IMO - the district is saying either the kids aren’t worth it or they don’t have a pair. I also believe that two things can be true at the same time 🤭

Sheb Wooley
Waterboy

Post by Sheb Wooley »

I may have missed it, but what happened with Coach Justus last year?

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

A Kinder Yogi wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:25 am
greygoose wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:52 pm Sounds like he's been with Wellston for quite some time and it's my understanding he's done a lot for the kids and trying to help them out especially with baseball. When schools hire they must first look at the internal applicants before ever posting outside as teachers working in the system are first preference. Good Luck after last season there's only 1 direction for the program to go.
not true everywhere anymore and definitely not true in west virginny. I am getting offers despite inside applicants. I have even had a few schools say they will boot their coach if i will take their job.
No one is buying that

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

WildManWill wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:23 am
Actually that “rule” is easily taken care of and had been many times before, A grievance is filed. A grievance is paid, life moves on. The job of the school board and school should be TO DO WHAT IS RIGHT FOR THE KIDS! Nothing else, nada, no argument to be had. The kids of Wellston are being handed the short stick because of Union and school board politicking plain and simple. Wellston is not by any means a football school but it goes beyond that. Students have transferred, stop playing, etc.. Now between the mess in the football program and basketball program students are leaving the district by the handful, I’m not talking about just high school kids I’m talking from grade school up. (If you take a peak at the younger levels in Jackson I can give you several names that were suiting up for Wellston not long ago). All of this directly affects the district as whole in a negative manner, tax dollars lost, and more. All sports in Wellston with the exception of softball and baseball is in the gutter. At the end of the day folks can say it’s not about sports that education is first but with todays climate sports and education go hand in hand because that is what keeps kids in your district!

Coach Graham is a wonderful individual and will do his best and I hope he can fix it but, when other more qualified, connected and better prepared individuals are ready and the board won’t even look in fear of the almighty union it’s a shame for everyone!
Yeah and most schools won’t deal with the grievance process they simply follow the rules set in place. Most schools lose money every year on football and most sports really they’re not forming out money as you say to go after some big higher. It’s Wellston it’s an afterthought to most all coaches out there unless they’ve got nowhere else to go. Be happy you got someone as dedicated as Graham.

WildManWill
Waterboy

Post by WildManWill »

greygoose wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:56 am

Yeah and most schools won’t deal with the grievance process they simply follow the rules set in place. Most schools lose money every year on football and most sports really they’re not forming out money as you say to go after some big higher. It’s Wellston it’s an afterthought to most all coaches out there unless they’ve got nowhere else to go. Be happy you got someone as dedicated as Graham.
Schools do all the time if it’s the right thing to do for the kids any argument to that is wrong.

Also, what you’re failing to understand is the fact that Wellston HAS went through the grievance process and has been willing to pay the usual $5,000 grievance..

It’s a no brainer whenever not following that process is costing you roughly $7-8,000 per kid that transfers out of the district.

Wellston has lost nearly $40,000 in funding this year alone due to transfers. I’m not saying all but most transfers have been due to the athletics department decisions.

A simple grievance filing and payment saves the district possibly $35,000??? Come on man.

This has nothing to do with coach Graham as I’ve stated many times already he is a wonderful individual with tons of dedication and passion but he is being setup to fail with the current mess.

Lucky Charms
Freshman Team

Post by Lucky Charms »

I think all of Wellston should fully embrace Coach Chris Graham "Crackers"! He is your coach. Nothing more to discuss. Anything else just hurts the program and ultimately the kids.

LETS GO CRACKERS!!!!!

Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

Lucky Charms wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:37 pm I think all of Wellston should fully embrace Coach Chris Graham "Crackers"! He is your coach. Nothing more to discuss. Anything else just hurts the program and ultimately the kids.

LETS GO CRACKERS!!!!!
I think it’s going to be tough to get total buy in until he proves he can get those kids running through brick walls for him. That’s the one thing ole Dutch was able to accomplish and it won over the whole community. They still talk about it today and he probably has a key to the city.

Alen Peters
Waterboy

Post by Alen Peters »

How many leave for McArthur this year ?

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

WildManWill wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:07 pm

Schools do all the time if it’s the right thing to do for the kids any argument to that is wrong.

Also, what you’re failing to understand is the fact that Wellston HAS went through the grievance process and has been willing to pay the usual $5,000 grievance..

It’s a no brainer whenever not following that process is costing you roughly $7-8,000 per kid that transfers out of the district.

Wellston has lost nearly $40,000 in funding this year alone due to transfers. I’m not saying all but most transfers have been due to the athletics department decisions.

A simple grievance filing and payment saves the district possibly $35,000??? Come on man.

This has nothing to do with coach Graham as I’ve stated many times already he is a wonderful individual with tons of dedication and passion but he is being setup to fail with the current mess.
They lost the transfers when they couldn't figure out something with Yates and you have to know that. You can cry about the process all you want but it's the process man it's that plain and simple. How's he being setup to fail?? Facts are you're arguing why the board didn't post and hire outside of the school system and now you're saying it's nothing against Graham 100% it is otherwise you wouldn't be saying anything about the hire. He's not being setup to fail he's being brought in early enough to try and put something in place instead of bringing someone in come June and they quit in August. If anything, they're going with someone who is involved with these kids and hoping to try and turn things around there's not a coach in this world that could step into the current Wellston situation and turn it around without having a 3-5 year window for doing so.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Alen Peters wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:53 pm How many leave for McArthur this year ?
Whoever left and went with Yates when he decided to head back to VC, thinking the number I heard was 5-7.

Alen Peters
Waterboy

Post by Alen Peters »

greygoose wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:02 pm
Alen Peters wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:53 pm How many leave for McArthur this year ?
Whoever left and went with Yates when he decided to head back to VC, thinking the number I heard was 5-7.
Hope we don’t lose anymore. Chris will do a fine job.

WildManWill
Waterboy

Post by WildManWill »

greygoose wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:01 pm
WildManWill wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:07 pm

They lost the transfers when they couldn't figure out something with Yates and you have to know that. You can cry about the process all you want but it's the process man it's that plain and simple. How's he being setup to fail?? Facts are you're arguing why the board didn't post and hire outside of the school system and now you're saying it's nothing against Graham 100% it is otherwise you wouldn't be saying anything about the hire. He's not being setup to fail he's being brought in early enough to try and put something in place instead of bringing someone in come June and they quit in August. If anything, they're going with someone who is involved with these kids and hoping to try and turn things around there's not a coach in this world that could step into the current Wellston situation and turn it around without having a 3-5 year window for doing so.
My brother in Christ… my point is the process has been changed several times up until the last few years when all of a sudden the board let the Union take everything over.

The Yates thing was a massive failure. Caused by the board making promises they shouldn’t have been, Causing students to leave. The rehiring of a basketball coach because he is a teacher caused more students to leave. All of this reverts back to a practice that for years has been avoided by realizing what is best and dealing with the grievance.

I’m not complaining about Graham being hired. I’m complaining about the fact that they should have looked at all options internal and external which they can do. The grievance would only be filed if there isn’t reasonable explanation on why the internal pool isn’t qualified.

Graham is being setup for failure by being given the keys to an absolute dumpster fire when he hasn’t coached at the varsity level for more than a few years as an unpaid assistant in the early and mid 2010’s when his boy was coming up through. How is that fair to him? If the program was in a solid place or this hire was done a year ago Graham is absolutely the answer because he could of picked up right where Coach Smith left things and learned the ropes while leaning on a several great staff members that were willing to stay with one of the best athletic groups in the Wellston school system.

Return to “Football”