Wellston Football Coach

GRFan
Varsity

Wellston Football Coach

Post by GRFan »

Congratulations to Chris Graham, hired by Wellston School Board unanimously as football coach. Wellston grad and basketball standout. Former head basketball coach, Asst Varsity Football coach and Asst Baseball coach. Longtime teacher.

Big Thank you to Coach Polcyn for stepping up when needed. Good Luck to both

JohnDenver
Riding the Bench

Re: Wellston Football Coach

Post by JohnDenver »

Interesting hire. Did not see this posted publicly so I would assume he was hired by default. Looks like it has been a few years since he has coached football. What other schools has he coached football at?

GRFan
Varsity

Post by GRFan »

He was hired at the School Board meeting last night. Job was posted, I don't know how many applicants there were but there were multiple. Coach Graham has spent his career in Wellston. I think he will bring stability to the program. I am sure the Telegram will have it on their website shortly.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

good luck chris graham!!

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Buck Nut
Freshman Team

Post by Buck Nut »

Good luck to the new head ball coach. Hopefully Wellston can get back to where they were just a few years ago.

Go Bucks!!
osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

Good luck Coach.

Tomcat Queen
JV Team

Post by Tomcat Queen »

Hopefully the new coach won’t be too scared to play the Cats like the ones in the past were. Would be nice to not have to travel to Cincinnati to play just because the local teams are scared of us.

Don’t hate us just because you ain’t us.
Wellston Ironman
Freshman Team

Post by Wellston Ironman »

This guy is a proven winner and will have them rocket boys running through brick walls like some of the great coaches from the past. Ole Dutch could get them fired up and so will "Graham Crackers". Btw. the moms around here sure do like graham cracker crust on their cheesecake. Cant keep it in stock.

The BEST thing about people from Wellston is that they have JACKSON on their license plates!
Tomcat Queen
JV Team

Post by Tomcat Queen »

Wellston Ironman wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:10 pm This guy is a proven winner and will have them rocket boys running through brick walls like some of the great coaches from the past. Ole Dutch could get them fired up and so will "Graham Crackers". Btw. the moms around here sure do like graham cracker crust on their cheesecake. Cant keep it in stock.
Well good, now just tell this coach Crackers to call Phil and get on the schedule.

Don’t hate us just because you ain’t us.
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Is there an over/under on number of coaches Wellston goes through this off-season?

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

greygoose wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:21 pm Is there an over/under on number of coaches Wellston goes through this off-season?
I really think that they will give him plenty of time, being that he is a Wellston guy and all. I wonder if in the past if he ever applied for the Head Football Coaching position?

ACCBiggz
JV Team

Post by ACCBiggz »

VetteMan wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:05 pm
greygoose wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:21 pm Is there an over/under on number of coaches Wellston goes through this off-season?
I really think that they will give him plenty of time, being that he is a Wellston guy and all. I wonder if in the past if he ever applied for the Head Football Coaching position?
Going back to an earlier comment...
JohnDenver wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:34 am Interesting hire. Did not see this posted publicly so I would assume he was hired by default. Looks like it has been a few years since he has coached football. What other schools has he coached football at?
It definitely feels as if this hire was done because they knew he wouldn't up and leave the program. I don't know how his football coaching is, only from the newspaper article that he was an assistant at one point. Obviously, you can't correlate his basketball coaching to what his football coaching is, but he only had two seasons barely over .500 and the rest were under including a terrible final two years before a change was made (edit: from what I could find, someone closer to the program would know better).

I wish him all of the success in the world to get Wellston back on the right track, but it's a curious decision that just looks like Wellston's administration was tired of the turnover and went with a Wellston alum who they know what leave no matter what, even if his direct experience is lacking & no proof of being able to build a sustainable and competitive program. Maybe he can, and I hope he will. Just... interesting, is all I can say.

Koondogger 2.1
Freshman Team

Post by Koondogger 2.1 »

Wellston missed a great chance to bring in the RUTTER MENTALITY but they passed on it because they just wanted to hire a guy who wont leave. I dont know what more could have been done. A state title in JH track speaks volumes about program building ability. Oh well I guees Rocket Nation just needs to embrace the suck.

A Kinder Yogi
Waterboy

Post by A Kinder Yogi »

I didnt apply for this one. Heard them Rockets is soft. Lease thats what they say in Jackson.

Y'all are just gonna have to prove that!
Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Tomcat Queen wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:31 pm Hopefully the new coach won’t be too scared to play the Cats like the ones in the past were. Would be nice to not have to travel to Cincinnati to play just because the local teams are scared of us.
Trimble and Wellston have been scheduled to play starting 2025.

Edmond Dantes
Riding the Bench

Post by Edmond Dantes »

This hire was done because of the union contract.

The board didn’t want to hire an outside candidate and have to still pay the internal candidates that applied the stipend for the position.

So, no need for qualified outside candidates to apply! We have all the answers on how to fix the dumpster fire that is our program from within!

Best of luck to the new guy, no disrespect intended at all. But who doesn’t open up the hiring process?

A Kinder Yogi
Waterboy

Post by A Kinder Yogi »

Edmond Dantes wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:35 pm This hire was done because of the union contract.

The board didn’t want to hire an outside candidate and have to still pay the internal candidates that applied the stipend for the position.

So, no need for qualified outside candidates to apply! We have all the answers on how to fix the dumpster fire that is our program from within!

Best of luck to the new guy, no disrespect intended at all. But who doesn’t open up the hiring process?
So they too cheap to do it right? What a joke.

Y'all are just gonna have to prove that!
WildManWill
Waterboy

Post by WildManWill »

I have a lot to say about this but I’m not going to. Good luck to coach Graham and I hope he proves his doubters wrong.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Sounds like he's been with Wellston for quite some time and it's my understanding he's done a lot for the kids and trying to help them out especially with baseball. When schools hire they must first look at the internal applicants before ever posting outside as teachers working in the system are first preference. Good Luck after last season there's only 1 direction for the program to go.

mackdog
Freshman Team

Post by mackdog »

Once again the administration of Wellston refuses to make a decision and hides behind the union contract. So, if Urban Meyer or Ryan Day had applied as outside candidates, would they have been considered???

Return to “Football”