Transfer Portal Changes Needed....

greygoose
SEOPS

Transfer Portal Changes Needed....

Post by greygoose »

Read an interesting article yesterday and I think I tend to agree with the writer. The transfer portal has made things for these high school players an absolute mess, as I seen a 4-star DE who was committed to Colorado since last June was called 3 days after the Sanders higher and said they were rescinding his offer and they were going in another direction. They wanted to build through the portal first and go from there, here the kid is in his senior year and just got dumped. These coach colleges are talking about how it's hard to know their roster needs simply based on who's coming and going. The writer mentioned that college football should look into pushing back the signing day mid-February to early march for these seniors so both they know, and the colleges know exactly what is needed as at that point the portal is closed up. Do you guys think this is something that should be looked at or could even be done as I know some players enter college early in January to get a start. Just seems to me like the guys getting the short end of the stick are these HS players

baseball16
All State

Re: Transfer Portal Changes Needed....

Post by baseball16 »

There is no Loyalty with coaches. Most D1 coaches are coaching for their 2-3 year life. Look at Ryan Cooper Day and how many people want him fired for losing 2 to xichigan. Dude has lost a total of 4 games overall. LOL Coaches have to WIN NOW and I am sure Coach Prime understands that more than anyone. He knows he doesn't want to go down in History as a coaching bust.

They do need to Regulate the Portal. Maybe only allow the player to use it once unless the coach leaves. Many are jumping in two-three times in a career. Competitive drive within a team is what is missing. everyone wants satisfaction NOW but don't want to achieve it by the Process.

mt1fan
Freshman Team

Post by mt1fan »

I think the portal should be limited to 1 use.

Although believe it or not, I think there are teams out there like the Iowa's and Purdue's of college football that are benefiting the most. They are able to snag some guys who would be D1 kick backs and its bringing their talent level up across the board.

I see nothing wrong with hopping in the portal 1 time if you find out the school isn't the best fit. Using it 3 or 4 times is overkill if you ask me and shows you have a problem with commitment and a lack of competitive drive.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

High school needs a transfer portal.

Wellston Ironman
Freshman Team

Post by Wellston Ironman »

greygoose wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:49 am Read an interesting article yesterday and I think I tend to agree with the writer. The transfer portal has made things for these high school players an absolute mess, as I seen a 4-star DE who was committed to Colorado since last June was called 3 days after the Sanders higher and said they were rescinding his offer and they were going in another direction. They wanted to build through the portal first and go from there, here the kid is in his senior year and just got dumped. These coach colleges are talking about how it's hard to know their roster needs simply based on who's coming and going. The writer mentioned that college football should look into pushing back the signing day mid-February to early march for these seniors so both they know, and the colleges know exactly what is needed as at that point the portal is closed up. Do you guys think this is something that should be looked at or could even be done as I know some players enter college early in January to get a start. Just seems to me like the guys getting the short end of the stick are these HS players
First, a lesson in grammar. It should be "I saw a 4-star DE". Secondly, the best answer is NO transfer portal. Colleges don't need free agency. The whole thing is stupid. Not unlike.....you.

The BEST thing about people from Wellston is that they have JACKSON on their license plates!
mt1fan
Freshman Team

Post by mt1fan »

Wellston Ironman wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:45 am
greygoose wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:49 am Read an interesting article yesterday and I think I tend to agree with the writer. The transfer portal has made things for these high school players an absolute mess, as I seen a 4-star DE who was committed to Colorado since last June was called 3 days after the Sanders higher and said they were rescinding his offer and they were going in another direction. They wanted to build through the portal first and go from there, here the kid is in his senior year and just got dumped. These coach colleges are talking about how it's hard to know their roster needs simply based on who's coming and going. The writer mentioned that college football should look into pushing back the signing day mid-February to early march for these seniors so both they know, and the colleges know exactly what is needed as at that point the portal is closed up. Do you guys think this is something that should be looked at or could even be done as I know some players enter college early in January to get a start. Just seems to me like the guys getting the short end of the stick are these HS players
First, a lesson in grammar. It should be "I saw a 4-star DE". Secondly, the best answer is NO transfer portal. Colleges don't need free agency. The whole thing is stupid. Not unlike.....you.
It must suck to be that miserable.... Stay classy my guy!

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Ironmen98 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:37 am High school needs a transfer portal.
Some of them do, those private schools aren’t regulated

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

I like the idea some of you mention on the 1 shot deal, now with NIL money it’s really making things crazy. OSU Dallas Hayden is possibly transferring because of NIL money being offered by another school. Transfer portal needs certain guidelines even before the 1 time use. Most in the portal have earned their scholarship somewhere there’s no need to punish HS kids or make it more difficult for them than it already is.

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

I would change it to one use and not until after your second season so no more leaving after their freshman year

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

First, don’t be a Dick
The end

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

greygoose wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:14 pm
Not sure certain public schools are either

Wellston Ironman
Freshman Team

Post by Wellston Ironman »

fbnut wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:24 pm
First, don’t be a Dick
The end
Oh look....someone has a second account. Heck maybe a third.

The BEST thing about people from Wellston is that they have JACKSON on their license plates!
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

fbnut wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:25 pm
Not sure certain public schools are either
Well I wasn’t going to say anything but yeah…

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

greygoose wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:18 pm I like the idea some of you mention on the 1 shot deal, now with NIL money it’s really making things crazy. OSU Dallas Hayden is possibly transferring because of NIL money being offered by another school. Transfer portal needs certain guidelines even before the 1 time use. Most in the portal have earned their scholarship somewhere there’s no need to punish HS kids or make it more difficult for them than it already is.
Agree with about everything that you are saying. Hopefully they will find a better way to regulate the Portal. Right now so many programs are looking for that quick fix to win right now, that it is hurting a whole lot of your high school kids. I think that the bigger problem right now is the NIL. Not only is it causing problems on a lot of team's rosters, but it seems to be out of control with how much certain schools through their boosters or whoever are willing to go to get some of these top recruits.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

All kids should have the opportunity to attend whatever school they wish.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

I don't mind if a kid transfers for college. Coaches do it all the time. Good NFL QB's Joe Burrow and Justin Fields transferred and were on the bench behind horrible QB's. Has little to do with not having enough talent

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Wellston Ironman wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:26 pm
fbnut wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:24 pm

First, don’t be a Dick
The end
Oh look....someone has a second account. Heck maybe a third.
Oh look
Still being a dick

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Raider6309 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:30 pm I don't mind if a kid transfers for college. Coaches do it all the time. Good NFL QB's Joe Burrow and Justin Fields transferred and were on the bench behind horrible QB's. Has little to do with not having enough talent
That’s not really the discussion though, Burrow and Fields done it once. I’m talking about adjusting signing dates for portal guys and HS players, possibly push back signing period for HS players. Something to separate so everyone can see where the chips fall and they can all adjust, instead of getting hung out to dry.

jose12
Waterboy

Post by jose12 »

Everyone should have the opportunity to transfer but the Portal has become ridiculous. Miami and USC buying every prospect is bad for the game. NIL had good intentions but it is destroying the college game.

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

Portal is evening out the college landscape. Instead of top tier schools hoarding recruits, 4 stars are going to other P5 schools and getting a chance to play as underclassmen, as opposed to waiting til their upperclassmen.

These HC's are making millions of dollars, sorry you gotta spend an extra hour a week figuring out your team needs. Let the kids go to the best situation for them.

Return to “Football”