Post season Interview with Mike Goodpastor Cincinnati Landmark Christian

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post season Interview with Mike Goodpastor Cincinnati Landmark Christian

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

School Cincinnati Landmark Eagles

NameMike Goodpaster

PositionHead Coach

1) Heading into the season, what was the biggest obstacle you and your staff faced?

Our biggest obstacle was losing two-thirds of our team after last season. Early Jule we had 23 kids and over the next two months, we picked 13 players. Also all new

2) Going into the 2022 season, what were the goals you had for your team, and did you achieve them?

I was honestly hoping to not have a losing season. We ended up winning ten games and a D 3 National Championship, so we far exceeded our goals.

3) How hard is it for a home school team like Landmark Christian to schedule games against OHSAA teams?

Very hard at the moment, we went undefeated against OHSAA schools and all three schools have asked to discontinue playing them. We open weeks 1,2,4 and still trying to fill them.

4) You guys played at Indiana Wesleyan University and came away with a win over the Illinois Crusaders. Can you tell the readers how that game came to be?

The last two years are Conference the GLCAC have played at the end of the season the top six teams in the league play there on that final weekend. It's great for the kids to see the facilities at a college and gives them something else to shoot for.

5) Can you tell the readers how special the trip to Dallas was and how big was the win over Atlas?

The Dallas trip was not a sure thing until about a month before the game. The experience was unreal except for the 34 hours round trip on a bus. The Stadium was beautiful and to see how excited the kids were leading up to the game was special and to go out and play a near-perfect game made it more surreal than it already was. The Team we played was the Atlas Rattlers will be coming here to play us next year in a stadium to be disclosed.

6) You guys won the national championship with wins over the Northside Lions Sports Association out of Texas and then by beating Northern Virginia HomeSchool. Would you tell the readers how you guys earned the right to play in those games and where the games were played?

The NHFA ranks the best homeschool teams in the country and we played the games in Panama City Beach Florida. The semi-final game against the team from Houston was a great game and we trailed 8-0 at halftime and scored 20 straight points and ended up winning 20-14. The game against Northern Virginia was won on pure guts, we played the game 40 hours after the team from Houston.

7) How many, if any, of your seniors will be moving on to play football or other sports in college? Also, could you name those players and the college they will be attending?

Levi Sanders our left tackle has already committed to Taylor University. We have a center Payton Johnson, WR Caleb Bush, RB/LB Hudson Mortimer, and DE Jayden Brogdan and they are all in the process of choosing the next school we will play at.

8) In trying to familiarize the readers with your team, could you tell us how you go about getting your players and where they come from?

Our team is comprised of homeschooled kids, and then a mix of private and public schools. We get our players through word of mouth. We are different than a public or private school. You will not find Coaches cussing players or players fighting amongst themselves are guys are selfless and put the team first everybody is there for what's best for the man next to them and to honor God.

9) I have covered you guys three times, and each time you guys have treated me as well as any school I cover, win or lose. How hard is it for you to talk to the media after a loss? For the record, I put you guys up there with Paint Valley and CSP (NY) as far as treatment goes.

I appreciate the kind words. It's not hard after a win or a loss to me, as I have gotten older my perspective has changed on a lot of things. Honestly winning and losing affect me much differently than they did ten years ago, I know a lot more important things exist than football. Honestly, even though we finished as champions it's bittersweet because while we were getting that trophy and I looked at the smiles on the kid's faces that was great but I kept thinking how I would never get to coach this group in its entirety again and the finality of that is always rough but this team was extremely special to me and I really do love every player on my team. This group has laid a foundation that will always be remembered at Cincinnati landmark.

10) Can you give the readers a little background on your coaching career?
I have been coaching since 1991 mainly in Junior High and High Schoo, I was a professional arena football coach from 2010-15.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: Post season Interview with Mike Goodpastor Cincinnati Landmark Christian

Post by VetteMan »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:43 pm School Cincinnati Landmark Eagles

NameMike Goodpaster

PositionHead Coach

1) Heading into the season, what was the biggest obstacle you and your staff faced?

Our biggest obstacle was losing two-thirds of our team after last season. Early Jule we had 23 kids and over the next two months, we picked 13 players. Also all new

2) Going into the 2022 season, what were the goals you had for your team, and did you achieve them?

I was honestly hoping to not have a losing season. We ended up winning ten games and a D 3 National Championship, so we far exceeded our goals.

3) How hard is it for a home school team like Landmark Christian to schedule games against OHSAA teams?

Very hard at the moment, we went undefeated against OHSAA schools and all three schools have asked to discontinue playing them. We open weeks 1,2,4 and still trying to fill them.

4) You guys played at Indiana Wesleyan University and came away with a win over the Illinois Crusaders. Can you tell the readers how that game came to be?

The last two years are Conference the GLCAC have played at the end of the season the top six teams in the league play there on that final weekend. It's great for the kids to see the facilities at a college and gives them something else to shoot for.

5) Can you tell the readers how special the trip to Dallas was and how big was the win over Atlas?

The Dallas trip was not a sure thing until about a month before the game. The experience was unreal except for the 34 hours round trip on a bus. The Stadium was beautiful and to see how excited the kids were leading up to the game was special and to go out and play a near-perfect game made it more surreal than it already was. The Team we played was the Atlas Rattlers will be coming here to play us next year in a stadium to be disclosed.

6) You guys won the national championship with wins over the Northside Lions Sports Association out of Texas and then by beating Northern Virginia HomeSchool. Would you tell the readers how you guys earned the right to play in those games and where the games were played?

The NHFA ranks the best homeschool teams in the country and we played the games in Panama City Beach Florida. The semi-final game against the team from Houston was a great game and we trailed 8-0 at halftime and scored 20 straight points and ended up winning 20-14. The game against Northern Virginia was won on pure guts, we played the game 40 hours after the team from Houston.

7) How many, if any, of your seniors will be moving on to play football or other sports in college? Also, could you name those players and the college they will be attending?

Levi Sanders our left tackle has already committed to Taylor University. We have a center Payton Johnson, WR Caleb Bush, RB/LB Hudson Mortimer, and DE Jayden Brogdan and they are all in the process of choosing the next school we will play at.

8) In trying to familiarize the readers with your team, could you tell us how you go about getting your players and where they come from?

Our team is comprised of homeschooled kids, and then a mix of private and public schools. We get our players through word of mouth. We are different than a public or private school. You will not find Coaches cussing players or players fighting amongst themselves are guys are selfless and put the team first everybody is there for what's best for the man next to them and to honor God.

9) I have covered you guys three times, and each time you guys have treated me as well as any school I cover, win or lose. How hard is it for you to talk to the media after a loss? For the record, I put you guys up there with Paint Valley and CSP (NY) as far as treatment goes.

I appreciate the kind words. It's not hard after a win or a loss to me, as I have gotten older my perspective has changed on a lot of things. Honestly winning and losing affect me much differently than they did ten years ago, I know a lot more important things exist than football. Honestly, even though we finished as champions it's bittersweet because while we were getting that trophy and I looked at the smiles on the kid's faces that was great but I kept thinking how I would never get to coach this group in its entirety again and the finality of that is always rough but this team was extremely special to me and I really do love every player on my team. This group has laid a foundation that will always be remembered at Cincinnati landmark.

I have been coaching since 1991 mainly in Junior High and High Schoo, I was a professional arena football coach from 2010-15.
Very interesting, good interview.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Post season Interview with Mike Goodpastor Cincinnati Landmark Christian

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

VetteMan wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:41 pm
LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:43 pm School Cincinnati Landmark Eagles

NameMike Goodpaster

PositionHead Coach

Very interesting, good interview.
Thank you.

Return to “Football”