Waverly has left the building!

Svcguru
Freshman Team

Re: Waverly has left the building!

Post by Svcguru »

Bozo wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:08 am Unioto is not going anywhere.
The SVC has been a solid 8 team conference for decades.
X2 Unioto isn’t going anywhere. They love being the big school in the SVC.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

I would imagine part of the reason Waverly is looking to move is because there are a few schools in the SOC 2 who don’t want/need to be in it. Such as Oak Hill, Northwest and Valley, more so referring to football for these schools. These schools are stuck in a spot where they are to big or good for the SOC 1 to take but they don’t really compete consistently enough to be apart of the SOC 2 (Valley had a stretch about 8-10 years ago where they went on a huge run in the conference but haven’t done much since). It would become extremely difficult to schedule if anymore schools leave, they end up playing schools that are 1.5+ hours away to fill a football schedule. So is it really that much of a difference when it comes to drive time if you have to drive across the state for 5-6 non conference games? And with the current region Waverly is in, it would beneficial to play more schools that reward more computer points if they are able to compete with some of the top schools in the FAC.

Again, just thinking about from a football perspective.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

art_vandelay wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:26 pm Would Ironton be a possibility for football only to join FAC? That seems to be the only sport the other OVC schools having issues with them. Don't know if FAC would want to take on a partial member though.

More likely scenario is that you are going to see announcements of certain OVC schools leaving for the SOC over the next few months.*
Yeah. I'm hearing there might be another Gallia County team beside South Gallia joining the SOC.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Waverly would fit in well in the FAC imo. Unioto will never leave the SVC. The FAC would probably have a better chance stealing Circleville or Logan Elm from the MSL.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Dundas wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:26 pm Waverly would fit in well in the FAC imo. Unioto will never leave the SVC. The FAC would probably have a better chance stealing Circleville or Logan Elm from the MSL.
Not under the current setup. Circleville and Logan Elm have no interest in going to Hillsboro and Greenfield, especially for the middle school sports.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

bman wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:36 pm
Dundas wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:26 pm Waverly would fit in well in the FAC imo. Unioto will never leave the SVC. The FAC would probably have a better chance stealing Circleville or Logan Elm from the MSL.
Not under the current setup. Circleville and Logan Elm have no interest in going to Hillsboro and Greenfield, especially for the middle school sports.
What’s the plan for the MSL moving forward? Hillsboro and McClain would be long hauls.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

So nothing is official at this point, however Waverly is currently in talks with the FAC. Guessing in order to take them they’d probably want another team to go to keep it even numbers. Oak Hill is wanting out of the SOC or at least SOCII and with northwest moving up scheduling has become difficult. So much so OH is attempting to schedule certain games where they would be playing league games as they try and force their way out. We’ll see what happens but as of right now Waverly is still in the SOC.

The FAC is the one reaching out to Waverly and to other schools in the area they’re trying to get big enough to have 2 divisions. The FAC hasn’t approached the board at Waverly as it’s my understanding that will come next week. The drive times are a huge concern as is if there’s other teams added and who. As drives for not just football but all athletics is a problem.
Last edited by Tigernation2021 on Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Ironman92 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:03 am
Tigernation2021 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:41 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:52 pm For giggles I mapped out current travels in league games FAC what would be

Waverly to FAC average 44 min

Waverly to SOC average 37 min

If Unioto is added in it drops to 41 min for FAC
Yeah and that drive to Hillsboro and McClain SUCKS, at least the rest are all highway. The Chillicothe drive time helps cut that drive time average down as it's 48 minutes without it or 41 mile average 1 way. Chillicothe is listed as 23 minutes or 17.4 miles.

SOC-- 5 teams, with Northwest coming into play next season is 31.2 min, so I'm not sure where your 37 average came from, or 28 mile average 1 way.

Think I'll stick with the SOC driving side of things all highway with very little 2 lane road driving. Plus with busses we know those averages are off especially for McClain and Hillsboro so add about another 10 minutes to it, think we can save the extra hour of driving and stay put.
28 one way? I never said that?

In my numbers I did include South Webster so during football the SOC a bit lower. 36 min average

I used Oak Hill, Valley, West, Burg, Minford and South Webster…just mapped each one and took the time it said. Oak Hill 45, South Webster 45, Burg 40, West 40, Minford 25, Valley 24
Yeah you’d have to take SW out in football and add NW which changes it drastically. Sounds like OH is looking for something else.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

art_vandelay wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:26 pm Would Ironton be a possibility for football only to join FAC? That seems to be the only sport the other OVC schools having issues with them. Don't know if FAC would want to take on a partial member though.

More likely scenario is that you are going to see announcements of certain OVC schools leaving for the SOC over the next few months.*
Hillsboro and McClain would be “no” votes…doubt MT and WCH would want to drive 2 hours to get a running clock

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Svcguru wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:30 pm
Bozo wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:08 am Unioto is not going anywhere.
The SVC has been a solid 8 team conference for decades.
X2 Unioto isn’t going anywhere. They love being the big school in the SVC.
BIG fish in the little pond. :lol:

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

Stupid decision to do so, we’ve clearly saw how down Waverly is in basketball and as far as football they would be notches below Chillicothe, Jackson every year and most years Miami Trace and Courthouse

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Dundas wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:50 pm
bman wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:36 pm
What’s the plan for the MSL moving forward? Hillsboro and McClain would be long hauls.
The Buckeye schools are remaining together.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Hearing they may possibly be a second school to the FAC. Just something I heard last night.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Smart decision for Waverly

Tigernation2021
Varsity

MTSWNGRVSG wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:37 am Hearing they may possibly be a second school to the FAC. Just something I heard last night.
Interesting I know they’ve approached several teams including Unioto. One part of it that did surprised me was apparently there’s talk Chillicothe is looking to get out.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Raider6309 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:43 am Smart decision for Waverly
Should be interesting, it’s going to come down to who else they get. I do know Waverly has looked into or is aware of any penalty by the SOC of they were leave right away. Basically everything I’ve heard is unless it’s crazy driving on other teams they get they probably go. You don’t go asking your coaches, have the board listen to the FAC proposal and figure out any penalties by your current conference if you’re not seriously considering it. A lot of talk in Waverly they believe the SOC could be falling apart. With oak hill trying to force their way out, who knows what NW will do once they’re moved back up. With all their new facilities I don’t see the fan base, players and school willing to go back to being a cellar dweller.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Jeaux Burreaux wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:26 pm Stupid decision to do so, we’ve clearly saw how down Waverly is in basketball and as far as football they would be notches below Chillicothe, Jackson every year and most years Miami Trace and Courthouse
Has MT beat Waverly since they started playing in recent years? WCH had a great senior group come through they won’t sustain this past seasons success.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:07 pm
Raider6309 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:43 am Smart decision for Waverly
Should be interesting, it’s going to come down to who else they get. I do know Waverly has looked into or is aware of any penalty by the SOC of they were leave right away. Basically everything I’ve heard is unless it’s crazy driving on other teams they get they probably go. You don’t go asking your coaches, have the board listen to the FAC proposal and figure out any penalties by your current conference if you’re not seriously considering it. A lot of talk in Waverly they believe the SOC could be falling apart. With oak hill trying to force their way out, who knows what NW will do once they’re moved back up. With all their new facilities I don’t see the fan base, players and school willing to go back to being a cellar dweller.
If Waverly and Oak Hill leave SOC, I wonder if Valley and Northwest would then be ok with staying up in football with Burg, West and Minford? Add Portsmouth, and you got an even 6 teams.

Burg would probably be the favorite most years though, but at least it only 2 games each year (Burg and West) that would be mismatches on paper for the rest of division.*

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:59 pm
MTSWNGRVSG wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:37 am Hearing they may possibly be a second school to the FAC. Just something I heard last night.
Interesting I know they’ve approached several teams including Unioto. One part of it that did surprised me was apparently there’s talk Chillicothe is looking to get out.
Where would they go?

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Chillicothe has been in more leagues in the last 20 years than anyone. Hard to see where they would go. They haven't been the top gun in the last four. The FAC is their best place.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us

Return to “Football”