2023 Post season interview with Antonio Hall Athletic Director Canton McKinley

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Name
Antonio Hall

School
Canton McKinley

Position
Athletic Director

Heading into the 2022 season what was the biggest obstacle you and your staff faced?
Implementing a new scheme on both offense and defense. Plus we still were evaluating several key players playing new positions or playing varsity for the first time.

After opening with four straight losses Canton McKinley won five straight. What was the biggest reason for the turnaround?
rusting the process and buying into the standard that we set here. We lost those first four games for several different reasons and none in particular, but trusting the process and doubling down on our standard got us straightened out.

Canton McKinley has a great history but in recent times things have been tough on and off the field for you guys. What lessons were learned during the 2022 season that will carry over to the 2023 season and will help in the rebuilding process?

The biggest lesson we learned throughout this season was focusing on things that we can control. We don’t control refs, social media, bad calls, weather, etc. so why waste any energy on that stuff? We learned to focus on the task at hand and collectively obtain it, which is what this sport is all about.

What one goal had you set for the 2022 team that they were able to accomplish along with the one goal they did not achieve?

We set a goal to win our League and we were able to do that.

We did not beat our rival and we did not make it to the 4th round of the playoffs.

As a player you have won big with Canton McKinley, had some good wins with Kentucky, and then in the Canadian Football League how much has that helped you when it comes to teaching your players the good, the bad, and the ugly they will face during their high school career?

In my opinion, nothing teaches like experience. I’ve been on some pretty high mountain tops and in some low valleys, and everywhere in between. One of my mentors Guy Morris said after the Bluegrass Miracle in 2002, “if you stick in this game long enough you’ll see the good side and bad side of every situation.” To me, that sounds a lot like life. That’s why I love this sport because it prepares you for it and most of what you’ll see in it.

Is there added pressure on you as a coach to win not only because you played at Canton McKinley but as a player, you and your teammates had so much success?

The pressure I feel is the pressure I place on myself. It’s not out of comparisons or laurels, but rather my duty or obligation for what this program has provided myself and my community for decades.

Of the teams, you guys faced in 2022 which one was the hardest to prepare for?
They all were great opponents. We take pride in our schedule and only look to play top programs from around the State. I put our schedule up against anyone.

What is the one lesson that you learned from the 2022 season that will make you a better coach in 2023?
Fundamentals still win football games. Also, if you get Culture right nothing can stop you, but if it’s wrong nothing will save you.

What is the most important lesson can you teach your players in a loss and then in a win?
They are both yesterday’s news, but a win helps you get out of bed the next day.

Can you tell our readers which seniors from the 2022 team are moving on to play college ball and which schools they are headed to?

WR- Cyncier McNeal BGSU
DL- Al’Vonte Ivory Undecided
ATH- Tra’Sean Foster Undecided
RB/LB -Treyton Mackey Undecided
DL- Kylier Jenkins Undecided
OL- Garret McCole Undecided
Last edited by LICKING COUNTY FAN on Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: Post season interview with Antonio Hall Athletic Director Canton McKinley

Post by VetteMan »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:08 pm Name
Antonio Hall

School
Canton McKinley

Position
Athletic Director

Heading into the 2022 season what was the biggest obstacle you and your staff faced?
Implementing a new scheme on both offense and defense. Plus we still were evaluating several key players playing new positions or playing varsity for the first time.

After opening with four straight losses Canton McKinley won five straight. What was the biggest reason for the turnaround?
rusting the process and buying into the standard that we set here. We lost those first four games for several different reasons and none in particular, but trusting the process and doubling down on our standard got us straightened out.

Canton McKinley has a great history but in recent times things have been tough on and off the field for you guys. What lessons were learned during the 2022 season that will carry over to the 2023 season and will help in the rebuilding process?

The biggest lesson we learned throughout this season was focusing on things that we can control. We don’t control refs, social media, bad calls, weather, etc. so why waste any energy on that stuff? We learned to focus on the task at hand and collectively obtain it, which is what this sport is all about.

What one goal had you set for the 2022 team that they were able to accomplish along with the one goal they did not achieve?

We set a goal to win our League and we were able to do that.

We did not beat our rival and we did not make it to the 4th round of the playoffs.

As a player you have won big with Canton McKinley, had some good wins with Kentucky, and then in the Canadian Football League how much has that helped you when it comes to teaching your players the good, the bad, and the ugly they will face during their high school career?

In my opinion, nothing teaches like experience. I’ve been on some pretty high mountain tops and in some low valleys, and everywhere in between. One of my mentors Guy Morris said after the Bluegrass Miracle in 2002, “if you stick in this game long enough you’ll see the good side and bad side of every situation.” To me, that sounds a lot like life. That’s why I love this sport because it prepares you for it and most of what you’ll see in it.

Is there added pressure on you as a coach to win not only because you played at Canton McKinley but as a player, you and your teammates had so much success?

The pressure I feel is the pressure I place on myself. It’s not out of comparisons or laurels, but rather my duty or obligation for what this program has provided myself and my community for decades.

Of the teams, you guys faced in 2022 which one was the hardest to prepare for?
They all were great opponents. We take pride in our schedule and only look to play top programs from around the State. I put our schedule up against anyone.

What is the one lesson that you learned from the 2022 season that will make you a better coach in 2023?
Fundamentals still win football games. Also, if you get Culture right nothing can stop you, but if it’s wrong nothing will save you.

What is the most important lesson can you teach your players in a loss and then in a win?
They are both yesterday’s news, but a win helps you get out of bed the next day.

Can you tell our readers which seniors from the 2022 team are moving on to play college ball and which schools they are headed to?

WR- Cyncier McNeal BGSU
DL- Al’Vonte Ivory Undecided
ATH- Tra’Sean Foster Undecided
RB/LB -Treyton Mackey Undecided
DL- Kylier Jenkins Undecided
OL- Garret McCole Undecided
When referring to not being able to beat their Rival, was he talking about Massillon?

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Post season interview with Antonio Hall Athletic Director Canton McKinley

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

I believe so.

Return to “Football”