Huntington St. Joseph Hires Football Coach

Omega
SEOPS H

Huntington St. Joseph Hires Football Coach

Post by Omega »

From WV MetroNews:

Huntington St. Joseph High School announced the return of a varsity football program last fall.

The Irish have now hired a coach to lead the program.

Ripley native Adam Hill, who has coaching experience at the high school, college and professional levels, will lead the Irish program, which plans to begin play on the junior varsity level this fall before fielding a varsity team in 2024.

St. Joe Athletic Director and boys basketball coach Todd Maynard cited Hill’s work at multiple levels of football to help make him an attractive candidate.

Hill has worked as head football coach at Howard W. Blake High School in Tampa, Florida, and as an assistant at both Huntington and Spring Valley High Schools.

He was also previously on the staffs of Kentucky Christian University in Grayson, Ky. and Hocking College in Nelsonville, Ohio.

Hill’s professional football experience includes jobs with the Arena Football League’s Tampa Bay Storm, the XFL’s Tampa Bay Vipers and front office positions with the NFL’s Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
(excerpt)

https://wvmetronews.com/2023/01/06/adam ... st-joseph/

This news is not about a school in the immediate SEOP footprint , but the startup of the program at St. Joe could impact OVC schools in recruiting while at the same time offer new scheduling opportunities.

Thoughts?

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Huntington St. Joseph Hires Football Coach

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Nice

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Omega wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:38 pm From WV MetroNews:

Huntington St. Joseph High School announced the return of a varsity football program last fall.

Ripley native Adam Hill, who has coaching experience at the high school, college and professional levels, will lead the Irish program, which plans to begin play on the junior varsity level this fall before fielding a varsity team in 2024.

St. Joe Athletic Director and boys basketball coach Todd Maynard cited Hill’s work at multiple levels of football to help make him an attractive candidate.

Hill has worked as head football coach at Howard W. Blake High School in Tampa, Florida, and as an assistant at both Huntington and Spring Valley High Schools.

He was also previously on the staffs of Kentucky Christian University in Grayson, Ky. and Hocking College in Nelsonville, Ohio.

Hill’s professional football experience includes jobs with the Arena Football League’s Tampa Bay Storm, the XFL’s Tampa Bay Vipers and front office positions with the NFL’s Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
(excerpt)

This news is not about a school in the immediate SEOP footprint , but the startup of the program at St. Joe could impact OVC schools in recruiting while at the same time offer new scheduling opportunities.

Thoughts?
Not sure if they played all their home games there, but a few years ago I saw the Oak Hill girls team play them at the old Huntington Field House. They were pretty good with a few transfers playing for them. Didn't realize that they had ever even played High School football.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

VetteMan wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:17 pm

(excerpt)

Thoughts?
Not sure if they played all their home games there, but a few years ago I saw the Oak Hill girls team play them at the old Huntington Field House. They were pretty good with a few transfers playing for them. Didn't realize that they had ever even played High School football.
The old Huntington Field House was a great place for high school and college hoops back in the day.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Omega wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:27 pm
VetteMan wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:17 pm

(excerpt)

Thoughts?
The old Huntington Field House was a great place for high school and college hoops back in the day.
Agree. Also watched a lot of Golden Gloves boxing there. I'm pretty sure that it was torn down a few years ago.

Rza1
Freshman Team

Post by Rza1 »

[/quote]

Agree. Also watched a lot of Golden Gloves boxing there. I'm pretty sure that it was torn down a few years ago.
[/quote]

Torn down in 2012.. marshall soccer complex now stands in its place..

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Rza1 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:13 am The old Huntington Field House was a great place for high school and college hoops back in the day.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thank you. I thought that I had heard something to that effect. I have no idea, but did Marshall own the Field House, or just acquire the property and then build their Soccer Complex?

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

VetteMan wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:17 pm
Rza1 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:13 am The old Huntington Field House was a great place for high school and college hoops back in the day.

[/quote]

Thank you. I thought that I had heard something to that effect. I have no idea, but did Marshall own the Field House, or just acquire the property and then build their Soccer Complex?
[/quote]

Apparently Cabell County gifted the building and land to Marshall in 2011.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veteran ... 0Governors.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Omega wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:51 pm

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks Omega! How's things in South Carolina? I bet the weather is better there than up here.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

VetteMan wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:29 pm
Omega wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:51 pm

[/quote]

Thanks Omega! How's things in South Carolina? I bet the weather is better there than up here.
[/quote]

I am good but age is catching up. I am closer to Asheville than the beach, so our weather in winter averages 55°/35°. I get back to the Huntington Tri State area about once a year. Kind of sad to see how things are now.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Thanks again for the Information. Believe me I get the age part as well. Really good to hear from you. I always follow your posting on SEOP as you're usually very accurate. Talk with you again sometime.

Frequent Flyer
Riding the Bench

Post by Frequent Flyer »

Man it would be so awesome if Ironton SJ would bring back football now. Great rivalry on the river.

Return to “Football”