Post season interview Chris Stewart Head Coach Madeira

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Name
Chris Stewart

School
Madeira

Position
Head Coach

Heading into the 2022 season what were the biggest obstacles you, your staff, and your team faced?
We were coming off a season where we were 4-7 and had a lot of injuries in key positions, specifically the offensive line, and needed to get healthy and stronger in the weight room.

What Was the most challenging part of the 2022 season?
I'd have to say the most challenging part was trying to push and test these young men to see how mentally tough these young men were. We felt as a staff that there was a feeling that just making the playoffs was good enough where we wanted them to have the mindset that making a run each year is the standard

What was the best part of the 2022 season?
The kids. None of this is possible without them. We have such great young men and having the opportunity to help guide them, develop them as men, and build relationships with them is amazing. Watching them and how much time and effort they put into their craft was special. We also have a supportive community that goes above and beyond to make sure we have all the resources we need to give our team a great experience on and off the field.

Coming off of a sub .500 did you expect to have such a nice 2022 season?
We knew with 15 Seniors we were not that far away even if we were 4-7. Coming close to upsetting Taft in the 2021 playoffs as the 16 seed, losing 13-7 with 20 seconds left, that gave us some confidence going into the offseason that we could be good. The kids were hungry and took it upon themselves to put in the work in the weight room which then translated to success on the field.

Which of the two teams you guys lost to in 2022 was the hardest to take?
Valley View, because that's it, there are no more practices, team dinners, team meetings, or games. The football season is finite, there is a beginning and an end, and no matter if it ended with Valley View or week 16 in Canton holding a trophy the last game will always be the hardest because it's the end. The hardest day of the year is always the Monday after the last game because you are so used to seeing those young men every Monday since the beginning of June.

Of all the wins you guys posted in 2022 which one are you the happiest with?

I think it would have to be the 2nd Round playoff win at Zane Trace. We were looking to win the first 2nd round playoff game in school history and had to go on the road to do it against a very good Zane Trace team that was undefeated. It was a two-hour bus ride and our normal routine was thrown off a little but our players and coaching staff adjust well.

What if anything would you go back and change from the 2022 season?
Nothing, not a single thing. It was a wonderful season and one of my favorite teams to coach. I'm grateful for the opportunity to coach these young men.

I have been told a coach never stops learning. So, with that in mind, what was the one lesson you learned from the 2022 season that will help make you a better coach in 2023?

The lesson I learned is to take it all in. Sometimes I forget how fast a season goes and you wish you did more of this or that but I really focused throughout the year to soak in each week and be present in the moment to make sure our kids, staff, and myself had the best possible experience we could have.

What were the goals for the 2022 team?
The Goals are a Seasonal Goal: Compete for a CHL(Cincinnati Hills League Championship). Weekly Goal: Be prepared for Friday Nights. Daily Goal: Be 1% better each day.

If you could sum up the 2022 season in one word what word would that be?
Commitment. Our kids committed to the weight room in the off-season and committed to being disciplined on and off the field during the season.

Thank you for this opportunity, these were really great questions

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: Post season interview Chris Stewart Head Coach Madeira

Post by VetteMan »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:20 am Name
Chris Stewart

School
Madeira

Position
Head Coach

Heading into the 2022 season what were the biggest obstacles you, your staff, and your team faced?
We were coming off a season where we were 4-7 and had a lot of injuries in key positions, specifically the offensive line, and needed to get healthy and stronger in the weight room.

What Was the most challenging part of the 2022 season?
I'd have to say the most challenging part was trying to push and test these young men to see how mentally tough these young men were. We felt as a staff that there was a feeling that just making the playoffs was good enough where we wanted them to have the mindset that making a run each year is the standard

What was the best part of the 2022 season?
The kids. None of this is possible without them. We have such great young men and having the opportunity to help guide them, develop them as men, and build relationships with them is amazing. Watching them and how much time and effort they put into their craft was special. We also have a supportive community that goes above and beyond to make sure we have all the resources we need to give our team a great experience on and off the field.

Coming off of a sub .500 did you expect to have such a nice 2022 season?
We knew with 15 Seniors we were not that far away even if we were 4-7. Coming close to upsetting Taft in the 2021 playoffs as the 16 seed, losing 13-7 with 20 seconds left, that gave us some confidence going into the offseason that we could be good. The kids were hungry and took it upon themselves to put in the work in the weight room which then translated to success on the field.

Which of the two teams you guys lost to in 2022 was the hardest to take?
Valley View, because that's it, there are no more practices, team dinners, team meetings, or games. The football season is finite, there is a beginning and an end, and no matter if it ended with Valley View or week 16 in Canton holding a trophy the last game will always be the hardest because it's the end. The hardest day of the year is always the Monday after the last game because you are so used to seeing those young men every Monday since the beginning of June.

Of all the wins you guys posted in 2022 which one are you the happiest with?

I think it would have to be the 2nd Round playoff win at Zane Trace. We were looking to win the first 2nd round playoff game in school history and had to go on the road to do it against a very good Zane Trace team that was undefeated. It was a two-hour bus ride and our normal routine was thrown off a little but our players and coaching staff adjust well.

What if anything would you go back and change from the 2022 season?
Nothing, not a single thing. It was a wonderful season and one of my favorite teams to coach. I'm grateful for the opportunity to coach these young men.

I have been told a coach never stops learning. So, with that in mind, what was the one lesson you learned from the 2022 season that will help make you a better coach in 2023?

The lesson I learned is to take it all in. Sometimes I forget how fast a season goes and you wish you did more of this or that but I really focused throughout the year to soak in each week and be present in the moment to make sure our kids, staff, and myself had the best possible experience we could have.

What were the goals for the 2022 team?
The Goals are a Seasonal Goal: Compete for a CHL(Cincinnati Hills League Championship). Weekly Goal: Be prepared for Friday Nights. Daily Goal: Be 1% better each day.

If you could sum up the 2022 season in one word what word would that be?
Commitment. Our kids committed to the weight room in the off-season and committed to being disciplined on and off the field during the season.

Thank you for this opportunity, these were really great questions
[/quo

Very good interview as usual.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Thank you.
I have confirmed Columbus South (Which will be up on Sunday)
Confirmed Columbus East (They blow up on Twitter when covered them)
Requested one with Vinton County (Whom I covered this past season) and one with Lebanon.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Gamble Montessori has now been confirmed.
I know the coach from there and he has done an interview with me back when I first started doing these.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

I am trying to get one with South Gallia.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Update
South Gallia coach has his questions and said he will be getting to them
I also have confirmed an interview with a Columbus Hartley player and of from Minford.

Return to “Football”