Post season interview with head coach TJ CARPER Vinton County High School

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post season interview with head coach TJ CARPER Vinton County High School

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Name TJ Carper

School Vinton County

Position Head Coach

Heading into the 2022 season, what were the biggest obstacles you, your staff, and your team faced?
The biggest obstacle we faced heading into the 2022 season was leadership. After the 2021 season, we lost some great leaders. Zayne Karr, Broc Moore, River Hayes. Those guys were great leaders and had played a lot of football and understood that it’s not just about them but about everyone. Going into the 2022 season we had some great athletes but they were young with 90% being juniors they were inexperienced in and needed to be taught how to lead and how to do it the right way and effective way.

After two a days were over, which player stuck out?
After two a days were over the guy that stood out the most was Isaac Molihan. He was doing things on practice film that just blew my mind. And the funny thing about it wasn’t always during the play, but when he didn’t get the actual rep. If our 2’s were in he would shadow his position go through the footwork, reads, mimic the throw, backpedal break all of that. And I was just in awe because that’s next-level mental focus. He was literally getting 60+ extra reps by mimicking and shadowing every drill. It was amazing.

What was the highest and lowest part of the regular season?
The highest point of our season was from week 3-week 10. Our team banded together and grew. After starting the season 0-2 they had a choice to make. They could come in be coachable and do things the right way or they could lay down and bicker and complain about what needs to be done and not do the things necessary to be great. They accepted the challenge and we rolled.

If anything, what would you go back and change from the 2022 season?
I think going back I’d like to implement a character development program. Which is something we’re doing this year. In today’s world, our kids are faced with challenges and issues that they should never have to deal with. They have to learn how to be mentally tough, they have to learn how to deal with situations that most adults can’t even deal with. When you think about what these kids have to deal with on a daily basis and then come to football and the expectation is you have to be different than the rest of the world there’s a clash of viewpoints. And I want our guys to be tough and mentally ready to tackle the hard decisions they make in life.

What was your top goal for the 2022 team, and did they meet that goal?
Our ultimate goal was to win our conference. We fell 1 point shy of that goal. But we’re hungry and ready to on that task again this year.

In your playoff game at Columbus East, what one thing sticks out the most?
One thing that stood out the most was Taizaun Burns. That kid is absolutely amazing with the ball in his hands. But I am a fan of how we compete. There was no point in the game where I thought we were out of it. Our guys played hard for each other and that’s all I can ask for.

What are your thoughts on 16 teams per region making the playoffs?
I think it’s good for the kids to be able to compete longer. But it’s a bit much when you have teams 5-5 or 4-6 making the playoffs. Playoffs to me should be rewarding the teams worthy to compete for a state championship. But to play 6 games in the playoffs is a lot.

Coaches never stop learning from what I have told them. With that in mind, what lesson did you learn during the 2022 season that you will be able to take with you into the 2023 season that will help your team the most?
One lesson I’ve learned is to always be prepared. Always have an “if-then” mindset and plan. You have to stay ready for the “what if”.
This can be implemented in your scheme, but most importantly have a plan for your kids in the program, and your coaches.

Do you think online ticket sales only for tickets affected the size of the crowds?
Most definitely. When it comes to placing ticket sales online only it then becomes a way of communicating it effectively to everyone. Not everyone has Facebook, Instagram, or whatever it is to see the advertised tickets. In my opinion, it takes more effort you purchase a ticket online rather than simply walking to the gate and purchasing it.

Can you tell the readers which seniors from last year's team will be attending college and which colleges they will be attending?
So we have 3 seniors that will be attending college and continuing their education and career in football.
Will Adkins: Capital University
Josiah Thacker: Ohio Northern
Zeke Molihan: He has a couple of offers on the table but still deciding.

countywide35
SEOP

Re: Post season interview with head coach TJ CARPER Vinton County High School

Post by countywide35 »

good read.

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

countywide35 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:34 pm good read.
I agree. I first spoke to the coach after the Columbus East loss and he was as upbeat as could be and showed so much class that night.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Good interview. Where Coach Rachel liked the Online ticket sales and didn't think it affected the crowd, Coach Carper thinks it does affect the crowd. I also think it affects the crowd. I would much rather be able to decide where I might want to go to a game on short notice, and just be able to just walk up and buy my ticket. I suppose if I only followed one team, I might look at it in a different light.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

I agree online sucks.
Most people do not like it.
I have asked a lot of people.

Return to “Football”