2023 Post-season interview with state champion Boyle County (Ky) head coach Justin Haddix

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

2023 Post-season interview with state champion Boyle County (Ky) head coach Justin Haddix

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Name: Justin Haddix

School: Boyle County

Position: Head Football Coach

Heading into the 2022 season, what were your biggest concerns?

We had to replace our top WR, two-time state champion QB, and LB. There were also some big losses on the LOS.

After spring ball and then two A days were completed, which player stuck out to you the most and why?

Montavin Quisenberry is a guy who came to us in July and was a playmaker. Sage Dawson is a starter at quarterback and a leader.

What did you learn the most from the 2022 season that will make you a better coach in 2023?
The 2022 season ended with a championship, but our players and staff adjusted every week to put us in position to win. either by kids playing new spots or whatever was needed to win. We had our 4-star DE sacrifice and play O-Line for us and go both ways. It really put our team over the top.               
Which team in 2022 was the toughest to prepare for? Why?  
Frederick Douglass was obviously a very talented team that ended up going undefeated and winning the 5A championship. well-coached and great athletes.

What were the high and low points of the 2022 season?

Losing a district game to Lexington Catholic in the 4th quarter and not finishing the game was the lowest. The highest is being in the victory formation on Kroger Field in the state championship game.

What was the number one goal you had set for the 2022 team, and did they achieve it?
It is always our goal to win a state championship and be the best team that we can be.

What will you remember the most from the 2022 class?
It was a group of winners. won three state championships and finished second in one.

What did you learn most about your players during the 2022 season?
The group had never lost to our rival and came back every time they got knocked down. That is what football teaches you, just like life. You are going to get knocked down. Learn from your mistake and get back up.

I have been told a coach never stops learning. So, with that in mind, what was the one lesson you learned from the 2022 season that will help make you a better coach in 2023?
Simply strive to be better at everything. Off-season workouts: our team's leadership abilities

Can you tell the readers which seniors from last year's team will be attending college and which colleges they will be attending?
We have a couple of players out of our 14 seniors who are playing college football. Tommy Ziesmer is going to Kentucky. Andrew Hardwick is going to the Army. We also have a few students going to NAIA schools in the area who are undecided at the moment.

Omega
SEOPS H

Re: 2023 Post-season interview with state champion Boyle County (Ky) head coach Justin Haddix

Post by Omega »

I appreciate this interview LCF. I have family ties in Central Kentucky and have marveled how Boyle County and Danville have consistently produced championship and contending teams over the decades, and when they really do not have resources one would associate with dominant football programs

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Re: 2023 Post-season interview with state champion Boyle County (Ky) head coach Justin Haddix

Thank you. I am grateful Matt allows me o put the out-of-state stuff on here.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Omega wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:09 am I appreciate this interview LCF. I have family ties in Central Kentucky and have marveled how Boyle County and Danville have consistently produced championship and contending teams over the decades, and when they really do not have resources one would associate with dominant football programs
When Coach Haddix was discussing certain players, he mentioned a player that came to the program in July. If he may have been possibly talking about someone that had transferred to Boyle County, are Transfer Rules similar to the State of Ohio?

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

I am not sure just how it works there. Maybe, one of the ones who have read this interview can respond.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

VetteMan wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:04 am
Omega wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:09 am I appreciate this interview LCF. I have family ties in Central Kentucky and have marveled how Boyle County and Danville have consistently produced championship and contending teams over the decades, and when they really do not have resources one would associate with dominant football programs
When Coach Haddix was discussing certain players, he mentioned a player that came to the program in July. If he may have been possibly talking about someone that had transferred to Boyle County, are Transfer Rules similar to the State of Ohio?
Vette and @LICKING COUNTY FAN ,

I looked up the transfer bylaws of KHSAA, and the rules seem similar to Ohio in that a transfer must sit one year unless waiver is granted for legitimate parental move, change in parental status, etc, occurs . Also, KY is just getting into open school choice enrollment and that does not yet seem to be addressed by the KHSAA.

A few more thoughts:

Most rural counties in Ky . have one school district and one high school making for fewer options for transfers like say in Lawrence County , Ohio. Also parochial and private schools are not as common in Kentucky as they are in Ohio lessening transfer opportunities. Yet Boyle County and Danville have had a transfer revolving door for years that has benefited both schools, and we all know about Belfry and Johnson Central in our area.

Finally, I believe there is litigation in KY trying to get rid of transfer rules altogether. Without getting into politics, freedom of school choice for academics is upsetting our traditional concepts of community, school, and athletics. Just wait till NIL hits the high school sports scene.

https://khsaa.org/060518-bylaw-6-transf ... ty%20level.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Omega wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:21 am
VetteMan wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:04 am
Vette and @LICKING COUNTY FAN ,

I looked up the transfer bylaws of KHSAA, and the rules seem similar to Ohio in that a transfer must sit one year unless waiver is granted for legitimate parental move, change in parental status, etc, occurs . Also, KY is just getting into open school choice enrollment and that does not yet seem to be addressed by the KHSAA.

A few more thoughts:

Most rural counties in Ky . have one school district and one high school making for fewer options for transfers like say in Lawrence County , Ohio. Also parochial and private schools are not as common in Kentucky as they are in Ohio lessening transfer opportunities. Yet Boyle County and Danville have had a transfer revolving door for years that has benefited both schools, and we all know about Belfry and Johnson Central in our area.

Finally, I believe there is litigation in KY trying to get rid of transfer rules altogether. Without getting into politics, freedom of school choice for academics is upsetting our traditional concepts of community, school, and athletics. Just wait till NIL hits the high school sports scene.

https://khsaa.org/060518-bylaw-6-transf ... ty%20level.
Omega, thanks for your response.

Return to “Football”