2023 Post-season interview with Ramone Conley Fairfield Christian Academy Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

2023 Post-season interview with Ramone Conley Fairfield Christian Academy Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Name: Ramone Conley

School: Fairfield Christian Academy

Position: Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers

What were your main concerns about the team heading into the 2022 season?

My main concern for our team was developing leadership after losing a big class on a small roster. Our HC, Marcus Pardon, did a great job of establishing leadership classes, but it’s always tough when you lose as many seniors as we did the previous year. Defensively, my concern was finding some defensive linemen after losing three to graduation, including our school's all-time sack leader.

What was the main goal you had set for the team and did they achieve it?

We had always talked about stacking goals. Our first goal in my first year was to qualify for the playoffs. We did that. This year it was to win a playoff game, which would be our first in school history. We achieved it. It was a huge moment for our program. Our next goal is to host a playoff game. We just got a stadium at our school, so it will be a monumental moment.

After two A days were completed, which player stuck out the most? Why?

Heading into the year, Zi Pardon was our guy. He was injured during our last 7-on-7, so we challenged the guys to step up. Three that stick out are Danny Blair, Sam Rauch, and John Grabans. They all stepped up their games, but the player on defense that stuck out was Sam Rauch. The kid is a fantastic athlete and linebacker.

Fairfield Christian won six of its next eight games after starting the season 0-4. What were the major reasons for the change?

We just kept preaching our culture and mindset. Our culture is work. Willing to give two cents, outstanding character, receptive to coaching, kingdom driven. If you don’t work, you don’t eat. And our mindset has been 2 cents. Give everything you have. The kids bought into it and kept fighting.

What were the high and low points of the 2022 season?

For me, the low point was the loss in the second round of the playoffs. Whenever you lose a class that’s done so much, it devastates us as coaches. because these are GREAT children, not just great athletes. Our high point was after our playoff game. We traveled two hours and performed like we expected, getting our first playoff win in school history. It was a great moment for our kids, community, staff, and program. I was blessed to be a part of it!

What did you learn in 2022 that will help you be a better coach, not only this season but in the future?

I learned a couple of lessons. The first was to never take anything for granted because it can be gone in an instant. Watching the story unfold with Zi, our team's leader, really brought that home for me. In an instant, his season and career at FCA were over.

The second is that God is faithful. Romans 8:28: "We know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose"

What will you remember most about the class of 2022?

I’ll miss just being around them every day. They are a special group. God has given them so many gifts, and it will be a blessing to watch them utilize those gifts.

What was the most challenging part of the 2022 season?

We brought in some staff with strong personalities, so finding their ability to gel was challenging. We got there eventually, but it was tough at moments. Especially starting at 0-4.

If anything, what would you go back and change from the 2022 season?

You always second-guess things after a loss, but I believe everything happens for a reason. So nothing.

Can you tell the readers which seniors from last year's team will be attending college and which colleges they will be attending?

We have a couple who are undecided. They definitely have the ability, but they are gifted in so many other ways as well. If they decide not to pursue it, it will definitely be their choice.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: 2023 Post-season interview with Ramone Conley Fairfield Christian Academy Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers

Post by VetteMan »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:34 pm Name: Ramone Conley

School: Fairfield Christian Academy

Position: Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers

What were your main concerns about the team heading into the 2022 season?

My main concern for our team was developing leadership after losing a big class on a small roster. Our HC, Marcus Pardon, did a great job of establishing leadership classes, but it’s always tough when you lose as many seniors as we did the previous year. Defensively, my concern was finding some defensive linemen after losing three to graduation, including our school's all-time sack leader.

What was the main goal you had set for the team and did they achieve it?

We had always talked about stacking goals. Our first goal in my first year was to qualify for the playoffs. We did that. This year it was to win a playoff game, which would be our first in school history. We achieved it. It was a huge moment for our program. Our next goal is to host a playoff game. We just got a stadium at our school, so it will be a monumental moment.

After two A days were completed, which player stuck out the most? Why?

Heading into the year, Zi Pardon was our guy. He was injured during our last 7-on-7, so we challenged the guys to step up. Three that stick out are Danny Blair, Sam Rauch, and John Grabans. They all stepped up their games, but the player on defense that stuck out was Sam Rauch. The kid is a fantastic athlete and linebacker.

Fairfield Christian won six of its next eight games after starting the season 0-4. What were the major reasons for the change?

We just kept preaching our culture and mindset. Our culture is work. Willing to give two cents, outstanding character, receptive to coaching, kingdom driven. If you don’t work, you don’t eat. And our mindset has been 2 cents. Give everything you have. The kids bought into it and kept fighting.

What were the high and low points of the 2022 season?

For me, the low point was the loss in the second round of the playoffs. Whenever you lose a class that’s done so much, it devastates us as coaches. because these are GREAT children, not just great athletes. Our high point was after our playoff game. We traveled two hours and performed like we expected, getting our first playoff win in school history. It was a great moment for our kids, community, staff, and program. I was blessed to be a part of it!

What did you learn in 2022 that will help you be a better coach, not only this season but in the future?

I learned a couple of lessons. The first was to never take anything for granted because it can be gone in an instant. Watching the story unfold with Zi, our team's leader, really brought that home for me. In an instant, his season and career at FCA were over.

The second is that God is faithful. Romans 8:28: "We know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose"

What will you remember most about the class of 2022?

I’ll miss just being around them every day. They are a special group. God has given them so many gifts, and it will be a blessing to watch them utilize those gifts.

What was the most challenging part of the 2022 season?

We brought in some staff with strong personalities, so finding their ability to gel was challenging. We got there eventually, but it was tough at moments. Especially starting at 0-4.

If anything, what would you go back and change from the 2022 season?

You always second-guess things after a loss, but I believe everything happens for a reason. So nothing.

Can you tell the readers which seniors from last year's team will be attending college and which colleges they will be attending?

We have a couple who are undecided. They definitely have the ability, but they are gifted in so many other ways as well. If they decide not to pursue it, it will definitely be their choice.
Coach Conley said that FCA just got their own Stadium this past season. Have they been able to use another Schools Stadium for their home games, or how was that situation handled ?

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Re: 2023 Post-season interview with Ramone Conley Fairfield Christian Academy Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers

They had been playing at Millersport.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:40 pm They had been playing at Millersport.
Did FCA play most of their home games at Millersport on a Saturday ? I know that years ago, Portsmouth Notre Dame used Spartan Stadium which was Portsmouth High Schools Stadium, and I'm pretty sure that all of their home games were on a Saturday. Newark Catholic may have done the same thing with their home games at White Field on Saturdays ?

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

I would have to look that up but I know they have played on both Friday and Saturday nights there.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

VetteMan wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:58 pm
LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:40 pm They had been playing at Millersport.
Did FCA play most of their home games at Millersport on a Saturday ? I know that years ago, Portsmouth Notre Dame used Spartan Stadium which was Portsmouth High Schools Stadium, and I'm pretty sure that all of their home games were on a Saturday. Newark Catholic may have done the same thing with their home games at White Field on Saturdays ?
In the very early stages of their program, c. 2008, they had games at Grove City Christian. That arrangement lasted one year. They then played at New Lexington for 5-6 years. Since then they have been at Millersport, but as mentioned they will be transitioning to their on-campus facility beginning this upcoming season.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

formerfcfan wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:22 pm
VetteMan wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:58 pm
In the very early stages of their program, c. 2008, they had games at Grove City Christian. That arrangement lasted one year. They then played at New Lexington for 5-6 years. Since then they have been at Millersport, but as mentioned they will be transitioning to their on-campus facility beginning this upcoming season.
Thank you for the Information. That is great that they will have their own facility. I can just imagine how excited anyone involved with FCA would be.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

I caught them at New Lexington years when they played F.F. Green.

Return to “Football”