2023 Post-Season Interview With Paint Valley Head Coach Corey Dye

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

2023 Post-Season Interview With Paint Valley Head Coach Corey Dye

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

As many of you know by reading my game reports I usually cover Paint Valley at least once a season. I missed them last season but plan on getting them back on my schedule this season. Since coach Dye has taken over the program he, along with Coach Cooper (Whom I hope to interview again, soon) has made me feel as welcome as can be at their stadium. For those who have never been there, it is worth the drive for anyone who like me enjoys going to games. The Paint Valley players, for the most part always seem open to interviews with me and do not mind answering a question or two after the game.

Name:Cory Dye

School: Paint Valley

Position: Head Coach

Heading into the 2022 season, what were the biggest obstacles you, your staff, and your team faced?

The biggest obstacle that we faced in the 2022 season was losing our starting WR/CB, Cole Miller. Cole broke his ankle during our first scrimmage, and we lost him for the season. It was a major blow for us! We felt like Cole was going to have an incredible senior season.

After two days were over, which player stuck out?

We had several young players that really caught our eye. Sophomore Braylon Robertson, RB/LB Bray has made an immediate impact on our program. We noticed right away that Braylon was bringing a whole new level to Paint Valley Football with his aggressiveness. I feel like Braylon has made a huge impact on our program. Sophomore Carson Free We moved Carson to WR this season and noticed over the summer and in two daily practices that he was really starting to shine at WR. Carson had an incredible year, breaking two school records and being named to the Second Team, All Ohio! Sophomore Colton Yoakum is another young player that caught our eye during camp. Colton is very aggressive and earned a starting spot on offense and defense. We are really excited for Colton and his future. Freshman Camdan Cooper made it known in camp that he was ready to play varsity football. Camden started on defense, rotated to offense, and had a really good year. Cam will be a force next year!

What was the highest and lowest part of the regular season?

The highlight of the season was defeating Huntington in the first round of the playoffs. The lowest was losing Cole Miller for the season. I hated that Cole didn’t get to play his senior year! Another low was not being able to reach our goal and win the SVC.

What was your top goal for the 2022 team, and did they meet that goal?

Our goal is to always win the SVC. We fell just a little short of our goal this season.

Do you think online ticket sales only affected the size of the crowds?

I think most programs would agree that online viewing has probably hurt attendance. We still have nice crowds at Paint Valley. We are super lucky to have such an amazing fan base.

What are your thoughts on 16 teams per region making the playoffs?

I am pretty old school, so I believe having eight teams in the playoffs was perfect. It forced coaches to really think about scheduling nonconference opponents in order to gain computer points. I am not in favor of 16 teams because I think it is way too easy to get into the playoffs now.

Of the teams, you guys faced in 2022, which one was the hardest to prepare for?

By far the most difficult opponent to prepare for this season was our Round 2 playoff game against Allen East! They had really talented athletes at every position. They were defeated in the state semifinals by D6 state champion Marion Local.

What is the one lesson that you learned from the 2022 season that will make you a better coach in 2023?

I think this season we learned how important it is to have backups ready at every position. "Next Guy Up" seemed to be a common theme for us this season. We faced a lot of adversity this year and had to rely on a lot of younger players to step up. Our younger players did a great job and now have varsity experience and are ready to compete for starting jobs this next season. We are really excited for them this season.

What will you remember most about the 2022 seniors?

This group of seniors is really special. Roman Wisecup, Dakota Tennant, Cole Miller, Dax Estep, and Cavan Cooper They are one of the winningest football classes ever at Paint Valley. This group has been to the playoffs four years in a row. I am really excited for their futures. I have no doubt that they will all be successful. I really couldn't have asked for better leaders! I’m really going to miss this group.

Can you let our readers know if any of your 2022 seniors are moving on to play college ball? If possible, can you tell us which players and which colleges they will attend?

Cavan Cooper has plans to play college football. He is still undecided on which school he will attend. Muskingum University, Indiana Wesleyan, and Alderson Broaddus University.

Dax Estep has plans to play college football, baseball, and basketball. He is still undecided as well. Rio Grande, Muskingum University.

Dakota Tennant has plans to go to Kentucky Christian University and compete in their track program.

Cole Miller has plans to compete in track and field at Ohio Dominican University and Findlay University.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: 2023 Post-Season Interview With Paint Valley Head Coach Corey Dye

Post by VetteMan »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:46 pm As many of you know by reading my game reports I usually cover Paint Valley at least once a season. I missed them last season but plan on getting them back on my schedule this season. Since coach Dye has taken over the program he, along with Coach Cooper (Whom I hope to interview again, soon) has made me feel as welcome as can be at their stadium. For those who have never been there, it is worth the drive for anyone who like me enjoys going to games. The Paint Valley players, for the most part always seem open to interviews with me and do not mind answering a question or two after the game.

Name:Cory Dye

School: Paint Valley

Position: Head Coach

Heading into the 2022 season, what were the biggest obstacles you, your staff, and your team faced?

The biggest obstacle that we faced in the 2022 season was losing our starting WR/CB, Cole Miller. Cole broke his ankle during our first scrimmage, and we lost him for the season. It was a major blow for us! We felt like Cole was going to have an incredible senior season.

After two days were over, which player stuck out?

We had several young players that really caught our eye. Sophomore Braylon Robertson, RB/LB Bray has made an immediate impact on our program. We noticed right away that Braylon was bringing a whole new level to Paint Valley Football with his aggressiveness. I feel like Braylon has made a huge impact on our program. Sophomore Carson Free We moved Carson to WR this season and noticed over the summer and in two daily practices that he was really starting to shine at WR. Carson had an incredible year, breaking two school records and being named to the Second Team, All Ohio! Sophomore Colton Yoakum is another young player that caught our eye during camp. Colton is very aggressive and earned a starting spot on offense and defense. We are really excited for Colton and his future. Freshman Camdan Cooper made it known in camp that he was ready to play varsity football. Camden started on defense, rotated to offense, and had a really good year. Cam will be a force next year!

What was the highest and lowest part of the regular season?

The highlight of the season was defeating Huntington in the first round of the playoffs. The lowest was losing Cole Miller for the season. I hated that Cole didn’t get to play his senior year! Another low was not being able to reach our goal and win the SVC.

What was your top goal for the 2022 team, and did they meet that goal?

Our goal is to always win the SVC. We fell just a little short of our goal this season.

Do you think online ticket sales only affected the size of the crowds?

I think most programs would agree that online viewing has probably hurt attendance. We still have nice crowds at Paint Valley. We are super lucky to have such an amazing fan base.

What are your thoughts on 16 teams per region making the playoffs?

I am pretty old school, so I believe having eight teams in the playoffs was perfect. It forced coaches to really think about scheduling nonconference opponents in order to gain computer points. I am not in favor of 16 teams because I think it is way too easy to get into the playoffs now.

Of the teams, you guys faced in 2022, which one was the hardest to prepare for?

By far the most difficult opponent to prepare for this season was our Round 2 playoff game against Allen East! They had really talented athletes at every position. They were defeated in the state semifinals by D6 state champion Marion Local.

What is the one lesson that you learned from the 2022 season that will make you a better coach in 2023?

I think this season we learned how important it is to have backups ready at every position. "Next Guy Up" seemed to be a common theme for us this season. We faced a lot of adversity this year and had to rely on a lot of younger players to step up. Our younger players did a great job and now have varsity experience and are ready to compete for starting jobs this next season. We are really excited for them this season.

What will you remember most about the 2022 seniors?

This group of seniors is really special. Roman Wisecup, Dakota Tennant, Cole Miller, Dax Estep, and Cavan Cooper They are one of the winningest football classes ever at Paint Valley. This group has been to the playoffs four years in a row. I am really excited for their futures. I have no doubt that they will all be successful. I really couldn't have asked for better leaders! I’m really going to miss this group.

Can you let our readers know if any of your 2022 seniors are moving on to play college ball? If possible, can you tell us which players and which colleges they will attend?

Cavan Cooper has plans to play college football. He is still undecided on which school he will attend. Muskingum University, Indiana Wesleyan, and Alderson Broaddus University.

Dax Estep has plans to play college football, baseball, and basketball. He is still undecided as well. Rio Grande, Muskingum University.

Dakota Tennant has plans to go to Kentucky Christian University and compete in their track program.

Cole Miller has plans to compete in track and field at Ohio Dominican University and Findlay University.
I have been to Bainbridge a few times in the past few years and watched Paint Valley play. In the past few years, PV has for many years been one of the best teams in the SVC conference. They have also had very supportive fans each and every year. Good interview as always.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Re: 2023 Post-Season Interview With Paint Valley Head Coach Corey Dye

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Thank you.

Return to “Football”