Coming Soon: Transfer Portal For High School Athletes ? ?

Omega
SEOPS H

Coming Soon: Transfer Portal For High School Athletes ? ?

Post by Omega »

From WV MetroNews

The West Virginia State Senate has approved and sent to the House of Delegates a bill that would significantly expand the ability of high school athletes to transfer between schools. SB 262 would allow an athlete to transfer to a new school one time without losing any eligibility.

“I think it’s very important that we provide every student with every opportunity that they should be allowed to have,” said Senate Majority Whip Ryan Weld (R, Brooke), primary sponsor of the bill. (snip)

The rule change envisioned by the legislation would allow a high school athlete to transfer to another school, no questions asked. And, if they choose, they could later transfer back to their original school.(excerpt)

https://wvmetronews.com/2023/01/31/bill ... er-portal/

This is pending in WV and other states. I have no idea whether such proposed legislation would become law or not, but given freedom to chose schools to enhance academic opportunity is perceived as a good thing, why not athletics? At least the subterfuge would be out in the open.

Thoughts?

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Coming Soon: Transfer Portal For High School Athletes ? ?

Post by Ironman92 »

I say just do whatever the hell you want. Mid season, postseason…whatever. Switch schools after your team is eliminated and go help someone else. Maybe get football to 10 divisions and other main sports to 8 divisions.

If someone gains some high end science or math knowledge in a class along the way…just icing on the cake.

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

I am all for it. If a kid is not happy where they are and feel like they can go elsewhere then let them. I do believe it should only be a one time deal. After that then penalties should be involved. Transfers are happening all the time as we speak. Waivers are given out.
If a kid feels he can go and improve another team and possibly play for a championship then so be it.

Tomcat Queen
JV Team

Post by Tomcat Queen »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:27 am I say just do whatever the hell you want. Mid season, postseason…whatever. Switch schools after your team is eliminated and go help someone else. Maybe get football to 10 divisions and other main sports to 8 divisions.

If someone gains some high end science or math knowledge in a class along the way…just icing on the cake.
I agree. I also think coaches should be allowed to recruit. That would certainly help our basketball program because Howie would out recruit all other coaches in the area. Not sure how Phil would handle it but with all those final four appearances we’ve had in football I can’t imagine that there wouldn’t be kids lined up to play for us. Plus with the new gym and turf LR said we’re getting everyone will want to be a Tomcat.

Don’t hate us just because you ain’t us.
PurplePower
Freshman Team

Post by PurplePower »

Omega wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:12 am From WV MetroNews

The West Virginia State Senate has approved and sent to the House of Delegates a bill that would significantly expand the ability of high school athletes to transfer between schools. SB 262 would allow an athlete to transfer to a new school one time without losing any eligibility.

“I think it’s very important that we provide every student with every opportunity that they should be allowed to have,” said Senate Majority Whip Ryan Weld (R, Brooke), primary sponsor of the bill. (snip)

The rule change envisioned by the legislation would allow a high school athlete to transfer to another school, no questions asked. And, if they choose, they could later transfer back to their original school.(excerpt)

https://wvmetronews.com/2023/01/31/bill ... er-portal/

This is pending in WV and other states. I have no idea whether such proposed legislation would become law or not, but given freedom to chose schools to enhance academic opportunity is perceived as a good thing, why not athletics? At least the subterfuge would be out in the open.

Thoughts?
Will this let Thimble have a pipeline to WV athletes. I hear they have some rutters over in the coal fields.

BEWARE OF THE STOMP AND STARE!
bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Honestly, I'm for a one time deal on this. Every thing in high school typically is a trickle down effect from college sports. This has been in NCAA for a few years now so I do believe it'll be in high school eventually....

My reason is ---- There are some kids at big schools who could make the team / play sports at a smaller school. Those kids have no choice in where their parents reside. Why not allow the child an opportunity to play sports elsewhere? I also think of kids at like, lets say, South Webster. They can't play football and would be ineligible in the 2nd half of their 1st season if they transfer to a school that does have it. Why punish that kid for pursuing an opportunity not presented at their school?

I'll bet within 4-5 years we will see this at the Ohio HS level.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

I am glad that I am close to retiring from coaching.
It gets more like AAU and the NCAA everyday. Coaches should develop their own talent.
It fits right into society today. If it does not go your way, run away.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

It’s unlikely that this would pass in Ohio via referendum.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

If it would pass this will be the end of OHSAA football everything will be like club or AAU.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

formerfcfan wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:42 pm It’s unlikely that this would pass in Ohio via referendum.
I doubt this would pass on a coaches referendum, but legislation or a court decision could open the door

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:13 pm Honestly, I'm for a one time deal on this. Every thing in high school typically is a trickle down effect from college sports. This has been in NCAA for a few years now so I do believe it'll be in high school eventually....

My reason is ---- There are some kids at big schools who could make the team / play sports at a smaller school. Those kids have no choice in where their parents reside. Why not allow the child an opportunity to play sports elsewhere? I also think of kids at like, lets say, South Webster. They can't play football and would be ineligible in the 2nd half of their 1st season if they transfer to a school that does have it. Why punish that kid for pursuing an opportunity not presented at their school?

I'll bet within 4-5 years we will see this at the Ohio HS level.
This is where I've always been with it, when a coach can bounce around with no repercussions on them why do we hold a 15-18 year old kid more accountable?

Paulcrew
JV Team

Post by Paulcrew »

not needed. ohio has open enrollment. ohsaa needs to stay out of it. if a kid can go to any school no
matter where they live, they should be immediately eligible to participate fully in all
curricular and extracurricular activities for that school

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Paulcrew wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:22 pm not needed. ohio has open enrollment. ohsaa needs to stay out of it. if a kid can go to any school no
matter where they live, they should be immediately eligible to participate fully in all
curricular and extracurricular activities for that school

well said. i have thought the same thing all along with OH havin open enrollment. OH has already opened that door. and rightfully so.

i’ve said this abunch. it’s 2023. not 1980. get with the times folks. it’s part of modern day football.

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Lets Go Big Moe!
Riding the Bench

Post by Lets Go Big Moe! »

I think there is a place in high school ball for both a transfer portal and some NIL. Some of these kids could use the money.

LET'S GO BIG MOE! #CRUSADERPRIDE!513-791-1680
JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:27 am I say just do whatever the hell you want. Mid season, postseason…whatever. Switch schools after your team is eliminated and go help someone else. Maybe get football to 10 divisions and other main sports to 8 divisions.

Post of the year nominee!! LMAO

Giving our young people freedom brother!! Very typical of our world over the past 6 going on 7 years. The first sentence sums it all up. Old timers been holding kids back for all this time. Of course, since enacting all of the open door policies and allowing everyone the liberty to “do whatever the hell they wanna do” has worked out so well across the board. Lol. Sarcasm as rich as your post of course. Wild Wild West version 23.

IMO if sports’ dissolve on their own it takes the heat off of legislation having to shut them down. We are fast tracking to not having sports In this country. Too afraid of anyone feeling any pain, hardship, or having to try hard to accomplish anything. Def don’t want anyone to be better at anything than another person or have opportunities that others do not have. God given talent is unwanted and antiquated. New school or bust baby.

Lets Go Big Moe!
Riding the Bench

Post by Lets Go Big Moe! »

I am hopeful that this gets timed up with the hiring of our new coach. If it does, we could see a mass exodus from SEO to SWO. We got jobs and we open for business.

LET'S GO BIG MOE! #CRUSADERPRIDE!513-791-1680

Return to “Football”