2023 Post-Season interview with Isaac Waller LB, RB Albany Alexander High School

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

2023 Post-Season interview with Isaac Waller LB, RB Albany Alexander High School

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Name: Isaac Waller

Class: Sophomore

School: Albany Alexander

Positions played: LB, RB

What was the biggest goal you had set for yourself entering the 2022 season?
Before the 2022 season started, my main goal was to improve my mental focus. My freshman year, I found success by running through brick walls, lowering my head, and sacrificing my body. That is not sustainable. In 2022, my goal of improving my mental focus was much more important. Learning the game, relying on more than just physical dominance, reading my opponents—this type of mental focus

After the team had completed two days, what was the biggest goal you had set for the team?
The biggest goal that I had set for the team was directly tied to the goals set out by my coaches. to keep our heads on straight, overcome adversity, and stay focused. Winning.

Looking back on the road games you guys played in 2022, which stadium did you enjoy playing at the most? Why?
I thought that South Point was the most enjoyable stadium. The turf was fantastic; the lights, the stands, and the locker room were all extremely nice.

Which was harder for you to prepare for during the season—offense or defense? Explain.
Personally, offense was a lot harder for me to prepare for. Defense is everything at my house. I have a very defensive mindset and have had to begin learning offense this past year. Again, learning the game, speed, skill, finessing, and avoiding contact as a running back

During the regular season, who was the toughest team to prepare for? Why?
Tough question. Each team presented its own unique challenges. I think teams like Vinton County, Athens, and Nelsonville-York all come to mind. These conference opponents in our backyard are always strong and all have different threats that we must prepare for. We take it one week at a time.

What were the best and worst parts of the season?
The best part of the season for me was hitting in practice. We began laying hits, making tackles, and blocking when we were finally allowed to make contact.I love the heavy contact. Personally, scoring in five different ways was pretty great too. The absolute worst part of the season for me was the number of injuries that our team endured. At about 3/4 of the way through the season, our team was down by five or more players.

What will you remember most about the 2022 class?
The 2022 class of seniors at Alexander was small but mighty. Only being a sophomore, I'll most remember the dedication of the seniors who stuck it out through some rough years for the program.

What did you learn about yourself in 2022 that you will use to become a better player in 2023?
Previously, I had seen myself as just a thumper on defense, but I have learned that I can contribute in so many other ways. I learned that I can also be an offensive weapon and really improve our offense, as well as a special teams weapon. Again, I just have to stay focused on always improving.

What are your thoughts on 16 teams from each region making the playoffs?
I really think that there should be fewer teams in the playoffs because that would make it way more competitive and you would have to work harder to get a spot. Sure, it's exciting to make the playoffs, but a 6 win, 5 loss 16 seed playing an 11 win, 0 loss 1 seed? I don't know. This is probably not good for player safety and development. That said, give me a chance against any 1 seed, and you better believe I plan to go win that game.

What will you remember the most from the 2022 season?
I will remember the celebrations in the locker room after big wins at home. beating rivals, especially at home when we are considered underdogs.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: 2023 Post-Season interview with Isaac Waller LB, RB Albany Alexander High School

Post by Ironman92 »

Watched him run sprints in track his freshman year…kid can scoot and you could see the “run through the wall” aspect when needed

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: 2023 Post-Season interview with Isaac Waller LB, RB Albany Alexander High School

Post by VetteMan »

Good interview with Isaac.

Appreciation
Waterboy

Post by Appreciation »

Good stuff!

Return to “Football”